• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

Dr. Jolly Glot the III

Dr. Jolly Glot the III

Text-Perimentation~ Extraordinaire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

And it’s another prominent one who’s been in many other anime.

関 智一 Seki, Tomokazu has stated he’ll be appearing in Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS in an upcoming episode as the character(s) カエル and 鳩. Kaeru (Frog/Tod) and Hato (Pigeon/Dove).

Who these characters are are unknown.

But what is noteworthy is Seki Tomokazu is one of the bigger names in the industry, known for roles such as:

• Gilgamesh for the Fate franchise
  • Domon Kasshu  of G Gundam
  • Suzuhara, Toji of Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Haru Glory of Rave Master
  • The modern voice of Honekawa Sueno of Doraemon
  • Tatsumi, Kanji of the Persona franchise

i.e. If you’ve watched a major anime, you’ve heard this guy in some way shape or form, at the end of the day.

sauce: https://ygorganizati...-actor-appears/

Projects (Finished set is linked)

~ P O L A R I S ~

~ P O L A R I S ~

love/hate

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,185 posts

Saw the first couple episodes and really like what I see so far.

3 positive things:

1) Started in the middle of a conflict unlike most other series which just chummed it up until x tournament until x villain decides to break in. 

2) The protagonist being socially inept and without a gaggle of cheerleaders was refreshing.

3) Link Monsters!

3 negative things:

1) Speed duels, pretty much everything about them from "riding the wind" to "unique ass-pull duel skills!" to reduced fields and hand sizes. 

2) Unclear on what's real and what isn't, the Knights of Hanoi appear to have some implied kills of civilians using their hologram monsters. 

3) Gilgamesh from Fate was an awful character in every aspect so hopefully that doesn't get channelled too much. 

Expelsword

Expelsword

Ruler of the Universe - Does it matter what others say?

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,117 posts
What the hell are they thinking?

http://bombch.us/Zv6
http://bombch.us/Z-k

As I always said in the past, the game does not work at a human level logic, but with its own logic. To understand this game, you must understand the game's logic. It does not follow obvious situations that the humans playing can see and stays very localized in the current timing.

Astro Dude

Astro Dude

K-sha fan Number 1

• Legendary Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,431 posts
What the hell are they thinking?

WORLDWIDE GENOCIDE!

Posted Image
All hail Tsundere Girls With Pigtails.

Friend codes:
1. Old model 3ds. ID: [background=#fbfdfe]Pt018: 1091-8739-4118[/background]
[background=#fbfdfe]2. New Model 3ds. ID: Peter: 3523-2301-4923[/background]

Dr. Cakey

Dr. Cakey

not a car

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Episode 2

tl;dr 5/10 humorous statement

Looking at how a card named "Encode Talker" exists, I can only guess Decode Talker will soon stop appearing in favor of other randoms whenever Konami feels like promoting a new card.

That seems like a strange assumption to make, considering the name implies they're a pair. Though I definitely agree the pressures to make the anime an even bigger promotion vehicle for the card game have been increasingly intrusive.

Hopefully the series better fleshes out over time, but yeah, doesn't appear to be worth the added month we had to wait for this.

Well, delays usually don't happen to make good projects polished, they happen to make unfinished ones functional. That definitely seems to be the case with VRAINS.

prairie.png

XOXO (not really)

XOXO (not really)

"Repent, motherfucker!"

• 𝔻Ө𐌋𐌋𝔸𝓡$
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

I think you guys are being a little too hard on it

Episode 2

Rep Card by Jay (small stats, fierce impact)

Found this, I'm alive, f*** ya'll

~British Soul~

~British Soul~

"I'm not here to play with you."

• Top Hat Regulator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,785 posts
  • Alias:~British Soul~
  • Spouse:Yubel

For an anime that airs on Wednesdays, I'm still treating it as if it's a Sunday anime still.
Anywho;

Thoughts on episode 2

iVaujSV.png?1

80317British.jpg

This is as far as you go. Your life points will soon be reduced to 0, and your life will be dust. It over. The heart is pain. The heart that humans used to believe in hold this pain. All your wishes that you've ever had, are all just pain. How worthless! Your hearts are what caused the future to be destroyed. Little Boy, this is Despair... Turn End. - Aporia

a709b8f5cdd8b64cb6aada33e60fd0e8.png

Rest of Sig

Dr. Cakey

Dr. Cakey

not a car

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Seems like the series has gotten darker; with the whole if you get hurt in VRAINS, you get hurt for real.

I'm sorry, I've seen a bunch of people say this and I just don't understand it. How is "if you do in the game, you die in real life" darker than the more traditional "If you die in real life, you die in real life"?

prairie.png

Sleepy

Sleepy

;9

• Soothing Star~
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,204 posts

That seems like a strange assumption to make, considering the name implies they're a pair. Though I definitely agree the pressures to make the anime an even bigger promotion vehicle for the card game have been increasingly intrusive.

IMO, every generation they become a little more prone to one-shot their cards for the sake of promotion than they used to. Cards like Enlightenment Paladin or Nirvana High Paladin which even had some build up for them never appeared again. The Ancient Gear structured deck was just shoved into a character that had nothing to do with the theme for a couple episodes and he even dropped the deck by himself to go back to normal before said deck was defeated. Also, most of Yuya's Performapals were one-shot cards with the only unifying characteristic that they were P-pals.... but not all that many cards were recurrent. Sawatari even changed decks 3 times, the second which put him in a better spot than the one that'd come in next, and said last deck which would not shine until his duel with Zarc. 

I'm sure the cards that weren't meant to promote current product were shamelessly placed to have something to give us 5 to 10 years down the road in some nostalgia-focused release a la Legendary Collection... Namely Sawatari's first one-shot deck, the Panther Warrior cards from that dude that never appeared again, or any of Sergey's cards (Earthbounds and that "50-shades of plants" theme xD )

EDIT:

On the theme of the two working together (the "Talker" duo of Links). I hope they do that. I'm sure at some point they'll have a bigger swarm, but Speed Duels don't seem to make it easy to make big enough swarms..... Now that I think about it.... in non-Speed Duels Yusaku won't even have an Extra Deck.... 

- - - - - - - -

I wanna be more faithful to VRAINS but I have very little hopes they won't do something like this again. Maybe I'm getting old for this stuff because Arc V's finale sunk low enough for me that it made me regain some respect for many aspects of ZeXal, and I didn't think that'd ever happen. I don't want to down the road feel like Yugioh has become comparable to something like Bakugan.... *shrugs*   I hope VRAINS is enjoyable and smart....

I so far have very little issues with Speed Duels. I wish they gave more continuous abilities like the actual Duel Links game does rather than "once per duel Pot" or a built-in plot device. Which to be fair, Yusaku's ability doesn't give him any advantage since it's not a "draw" that gives him any pluses..... BUT he's gonna asspull from infinite Extra Deck toolbox pushed by plot convenience in the worst cases..... not that main characters didn't already do that with Yuma and Yuya creating their Ace's evolutions every time so w/e... at least it's not grabbing Action Cards so I'll take it lol.

Still, if only they had given him a more solid and tactical skill that worked with his deck's theme in interesting ways.

In Duel Links, I've seen some amusing skills. May Valentine has the right to look at the top of her deck's card at all times, and Tea doesn't take battle damage during her own turn, to name a few examples. I think the concept could have been much more creative than the skill he got.

Posted Image

Goats

Other sigs

~British Soul~

~British Soul~

"I'm not here to play with you."

• Top Hat Regulator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,785 posts
  • Alias:~British Soul~
  • Spouse:Yubel

I'm sorry, I've seen a bunch of people say this and I just don't understand it. How is "if you do in the game, you die in real life" darker than the more traditional "If you die in real life, you die in real life"?

It just is, if not equally so.

Look at it this way; "If you die in real life, you die in real life" does what it says on the tin. but in a game, generally speaking if you die you respawn, but in this case your life is connected to your avatar so you can't be as reckless with your actions.

iVaujSV.png?1

80317British.jpg

This is as far as you go. Your life points will soon be reduced to 0, and your life will be dust. It over. The heart is pain. The heart that humans used to believe in hold this pain. All your wishes that you've ever had, are all just pain. How worthless! Your hearts are what caused the future to be destroyed. Little Boy, this is Despair... Turn End. - Aporia

a709b8f5cdd8b64cb6aada33e60fd0e8.png

Rest of Sig

shadowliepard

shadowliepard

Kakedase DATASTORM!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

It was said that the people who got blasted with fire got their accounts deleted. Which would probably be a bad thing but not a fatal thing; Yugioh wouldn't randomly kill off scores of bystanders.

Which would mean the dying in real life thing only applies to Speed Duels. Dueling on motorcycles carries the same risk of personal harm, so it's just as well.

In-Game Admin on DN February to July 2016.

I'm a girl. I'm 16 years old, living in California. That's Pacific Time Zone, GMT-8. Here's some cool cards I made:

Y'all should check out my games, Remake a Card and Make up a Summoning Chant.

2Mr87Id.png

Expelsword

Expelsword

Ruler of the Universe - Does it matter what others say?

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,117 posts

Which would mean the dying in real life thing only applies to Speed Duels. Dueling on motorcycles carries the same risk of personal harm, so it's just as well.

True, except that there's apparently NO regulations on Speed Duels. You don't wear helmets, the courses aren't predefined and free of obstacles like a racetrack, there's no medical personnel standing by, and far as I can tell, there's no rules that prohibit malicious attacks on other players.

http://bombch.us/Zv6
http://bombch.us/Z-k

As I always said in the past, the game does not work at a human level logic, but with its own logic. To understand this game, you must understand the game's logic. It does not follow obvious situations that the humans playing can see and stays very localized in the current timing.

Raging Rewas

Raging Rewas

The Crawling Chaos

• Xyz
  • 559 posts
  • Alias:Rewas

Script 3

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators
  • 33,829 posts
  • Spouse:Latias and Sapphy-chan

Because the anime sites are slow at uploading even the RAWs up (no seriously, all of the anime sites I watch do not have them up); had to resort to Dailymotion. 

VRAINS 3

Signature Stuff

Card Directory and TCG Decks

Viva Club Espeon!

Extra Images / GFX stuff

Zootopia GIFs (I have too many of them in here -_-)

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Pokémon X / AS / Sun FC: 4098-4005-6931 (Jason)

(If you add my code, make sure you tell me so I can add you back)

Zaziuma

Zaziuma

Winter is Coming

• Overwatch Addict
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,957 posts
VRAINS EP3

Dr. Cakey

Dr. Cakey

not a car

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Episode 3

prairie.png

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators
  • 33,829 posts
  • Spouse:Latias and Sapphy-chan
Duel stuff

Signature Stuff

Card Directory and TCG Decks

Viva Club Espeon!

Extra Images / GFX stuff

Zootopia GIFs (I have too many of them in here -_-)

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Pokémon X / AS / Sun FC: 4098-4005-6931 (Jason)

(If you add my code, make sure you tell me so I can add you back)

shadowliepard

shadowliepard

Kakedase DATASTORM!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
Thoughts about episode and pacing

In-Game Admin on DN February to July 2016.

I'm a girl. I'm 16 years old, living in California. That's Pacific Time Zone, GMT-8. Here's some cool cards I made:

Y'all should check out my games, Remake a Card and Make up a Summoning Chant.

2Mr87Id.png

Dr. Cakey

Dr. Cakey

not a car

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,678 posts

Besides, Arc-V taught me to not judge a Yugioh series by its start.

Yeah, Arc-V's first episode was go- oh is that not what you meant

Oh, and Zexal had it even worse from the start. Vrains is going perfectly fine compared to Zexal's first 3 episodes.

I'm not going to try to pretend Zexal was a uniformly great show - if you were to time it out, it probably has more crappy episodes than good ones - but its first episode (or first pair of episodes, since from Zexal onward we seem to be getting two-part openers) was...solidly constructed. You get a good feel for what Yuma's like (you probably don't much enjoy what he's like, but you understand him), you meet Shark, you contrast Yuma and Astral, you get the goal of the show (find the Numbers, restore Astral's memory) clearly expressed. Vrains has basically none of that. Now, it doesn't have to do all those things, at least not right away, but I'm very unsatisfied with what it is doing, or rather, how little it is doing.

But, I'm going to be watching it anyway, so I suppose my complaining could be construed as hypocritical.

prairie.png

Sleepy

Sleepy

;9

• Soothing Star~
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,204 posts
So far I'm not really disliking it

Posted Image

Goats

Other sigs

1 user(s) are reading this topic