Yeah, as if 5Ds through ARC-V didn't pull out random ones from thin air (well, barring ARC-V having Action Cards as well) -_-

But from observation, Yusaku's essentially won all his matches via Storm Access and grabbing a new ED monster that may / not reappear. We still don't know what card he pulled out from his match against Go [probably Link Bumper / Honeybot]; going to guess this week was Encode Talker. 

====

Then again, chances are that he'll pull Firewall Dragon from Storm Access in a couple weeks (unless anime proves us wrong and it's already in his ED).

====

Like someone mentioned earlier, VRAINS needs to start showing the field setup when monsters are summoned.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it doesn't feel the same without Field Spells changing the environment.

Yeah, they have been using the same background for every duel so far, and Field Spells are as animated as if I had just place the cardboard at a table......

Yeah, they have been using the same background for every duel so far, and Field Spells are as animated as if I had just placed the cardboard at a table......

Yeah it's as if they thought "Let's not bother animating field spells as it doesn't happen in real life", but yeah, they do need to change the background for duels eventually.

*almost a week late* Oh, Blue Angel couldn't summon Candina that turn because Speed Duels don't have a Main Phase 2.

But come on, characters inventing extra deck cards out of thin air was never a new thing, this is just it being explicitly stated now.

I completely understand this perspective, and in a sense I agree with it. But you wouldn't say "Dr. Cakey, you know the protagonist is going to win, so who cares how he wins?" I know the protagonist is going to win, so you have to sell me on that victory. For example, if Yusaku had won the duel with Blue Angel because he happened to draw into Dark Hole, that would...okay that's unexpected enough it'd just be funny, but I think you understand what I mean.

Yuma could literally make cards out of nothing, too, but he didn't have to use the Zexal Weapons against a faceless stormtrooper or Mr. Shouty McWrestleman.

(I couldn't think of a stupid name for Blue Angel.)

[spoiler=EP8]

Zaizen has motivation for getting Playmaker, but he's ignorant to the truth. I wonder how long this misunderstanding will last. I really hope they cut down on the numbering gimmick, he is doing it a lot man. Blue Angel with her hair looks quite cute. Revolver appears and can control Data Storms, interesting. Already going to fight Revolver, surprising, I get the feeling that Yusaku may lose this one.

[spoiler=VRAINS 8]

• Akira apparently got fired already by the executives, and is going off the deep end to figure out what the hell happened.
    • Someone made a YT video of him torturing Yusaku.
    • Put into a hard place by Revolver: Either get Ignis and Aoi stays in an eternal coma, or save his sister. He chooses the latter.
  • Disappointed in no actual duel between Yusaku and Revolver. 
  • (LOL at sub accidentally writing Yusei)
  • Whether or not Akira knows that Yusaku is Playmaker remains to be seen.

Oh right, and Wikia has Firewall's appearance in episode 12. So...another month.

Oh look, another post from me in this thread on a Sunday...

[spoiler=Thoughts on VRAINS 8]
- So Aoi fell into a coma because of a virus that infected her via Link Vrains and the only Hanoi knows how to remove it.
- Following what happened, Akira assumes that he is getting fired by the "chess pieces", and believes they won't go after Playmaker if that were to happen.
- I have to admit, Ghost Girl's trap is rather elaborate, though it served its purpose
- Given what had happened in the previous episode, I can see why Akira doesn't believe what Playmaker said about Hanoi, as Shoichi said, SOL (and Hanoi) aren't the type who'll listen. That is until Revolver shows up and reveals that they put a virus in Aoi
- Revolver giving Akira an ultimatum; retrieve Ignis or save his sister, ofc he chose the latter option, putting his trust into Playmaker
Also, lol at the subs mistakenly writing Yusei.

[spoiler=EP9]

So we learn a bit more about Revolver's motivation, he doesn't like the internet and VRAINS since he believes it to be artificial or something like that, which I suppose is a nice change from what we normally get in the anime, though I'm sure this will change soon enough. I keep forgetting there is no Main Phase 2, so I am like "why are we still setting things in Main Phase 1, please for the love of god be smart", but then I remember and I'm like "I wonder if they aren't smart, but its a byproduct of there not being a Main Phase 2." My mind is strange that way. So Yusaku isn't the only one who can pull cards out of their ass with the Data Storm, Revolver can too.Also, it's Eye's programming? Not sure if we knew that or not. So Yusaku loses? Unsure, I saw the preview for the next episode (I rarely do since I don't like spoilers), and it seems like it may continue, and he goes into the Data Storm somehow, but it's also a Master Duel now, which is cool, but if he lost or not I cannot tell.

[spoiler=VRAINS 9]

• Revolver has same Skill as Yusaku and got out Topologic Bomber. (So we've gotten both of his aces revealed, and Yusaku still hasn't gotten Firewall)
  • Stuff about Ghost Girl getting footage of the match.
  • Yusaku is about to be killed by burn damage.
  • Apparently Revolver learned not to put Cracking Dragon in the L/R MMZ and used the middle zone so Decode couldn't gain points off of it.
  • Long Link Summon animations...again.

[spoiler=Response]

Yeah, we finally get a regular duel instead of the Speed Duels they've been pushing until now. Just hope they actually keep this instead of promoting Speed Duels because how many people play this outside Duel Links?

Then again, it would appear Den City favors Speed Duels more, so...

So with the new rules coming we'll have to set up trap cards during Main Phase 1?

I mean we do set up traps during MP 1 but with no MP 2?

Doesn't anyone ever hear of the phrase "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"?

So with the new rules coming we'll have to set up trap cards during Main Phase 1?

We still have Main Phase 2 even with Links coming next week.

EDIT:

[spoiler=Thoughts on VRAINS 9]

- Revolver is a somewhat interesting character. He's a hacker who criticises the internet for being fiction and believes said fiction will lead the world to destruction, same with Ignis

- Speaking of, for someone who wants to eliminate Cyberse, you could say he's a hypocrite for grabbng a Cyberse monster himself from Storm Access. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that certain other people can use the same skill as Playmaker.

- Though I will say this, I've randomly started to say "Topologic Bomber Dragon" in an irish accent for some unknown bloody reason. (Be prepared for an avi change from me reflecting this)

- Playmaker notes that Revolver is smarter than the other KoH who used Cracking Dragon by placing it in a middle zone rather than an end zone like the other guy did to prevent Decode talker from gaining more power.

- At least we'll finally get a Master Duel next episode. (even though it's a continuation of the current duel)

Doesn't anyone ever hear of the phrase "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"?

Next week is a Master Duel, or what we're already used to in the actual game [hence why it gets referred to as a normal one]. If you know how to play the game, this shouldn't be any different (bar maybe the changes Link format made).

Up until now was Speed Duels, something that was mostly Duel Links related and did lock out the MP2. Addressing that other point someone made about Blue Angel not being able to do stuff, yeah, I probably forgot that MP2 doesn't exist in Speed Duels. (Likely because I don't even play Links or whatever online games that use that format).  

I'm not a fan of Speed Duels much, but I suppose they wanted to push it since Duel Links came out recently. 

[spoiler=I N T O T H E V R A I N S] On the subject of the numbering, the theory is that Yusaku has high-functioning autism which might explain why he lists stuff off in threes. Also, apparently this Duel, according to the episode names, miiight last 5 episodes. This is just something I heard, please tell me what you think. Topologic Bomber Dragon is awesome, I hope I can snag that card from a Booster Pack.

[spoiler=EP10]

Gonna put my thoughts into bullet points like you other people do from now now:

• So, the size of the Data Storm has something to do with how good the card is? Not sure how that works in terms of this being a VR world and it just being data, but sure why not.
  • Revolver calls Speed Duels too limiting for their fight, which sounds like they may realize this, and in other words do them more often than we feared they wouldn't.
  • That's good. Master Duels have 4000 LP, which I suppose shouldn't surprise me, even if I did wish they would try out 8000, it's not like they can't just make them gain an insane amount of ATK, they already do that, but hey, not a big deal, we know that they can still be entertaining at 4000.
  • Oh, so Field Spells DO interact with the environment, guess it's just for Speed Duels it doesn't. That's nice.
  • Oh man, another episode with dueling? They are spoiling us at this point!

[spoiler=Thoughts on VRAINS 10]
- So we learn that the size of the data storm determines the strength of the Link Monster, ofc Ignis noted that they needed a stronger monster from it
- Yeah Revolver would go for a draw in the speed duel (to prevent what Yusaku would've done... and us seeing Firewall) and noted that said duels is too limiting for their fight, which makes me think they'll face each other more in master duels rather than speed duels
- Master duels have 4k LP? That doesn't surprise me given 4k has pretty much been the norm, though I wouldn't have minded 8k either tbph.
- We FINALLY see field spells affecting the environment (in a Master Duel). I suppose it makes sense that they don't in Speed Duels. Though for a spell that benefits dragons, it looks like a giant bird cage
- Of course Playmaker and Ignis were worried about Topologic (and thought Revolver'd summon it with Twin Triangle and his other two monsters), though Revolver summonig Topologic would've done more harm than good given Fire Prison's anti-Cyberse effect (that was withheld till Playmaker played a second Link)

[spoiler=VRAINS 10]

• Yusaku gets Firewall, but we aren't seeing it for two weeks. 
  • Yusaku/Revolver Speed Duel ends in DRAW (so...this counts as Yusaku's first non-win result)
  • Speed Duels are too limiting; agreed.
    • I don't know why the writers thought it was a good idea other than to shill Duel Links. 
    • We're playing Master Duels, so how does Yusaku / all main character decks work in our format?
  • Field Spells don't affect environment in Speed Duels, but Master Duels work as normal; k. 
  • Skyfire Prison = anti-Yusaku tech. Yeah, it's literally a bird cage despite the random Dragon support.
    • Also how to be an jabroni as a Link Summoner combined with Beltlink Wall Dragon (yeah, it fits Revolver's deck because it's literally a gun belt with bullets)
  • New Link 3 from Revolver; likely will be in next pack along with every other new card shown this episode (except Interrupt Resistor because promo card)
    • Please keep the materials generic, Konami; kthxbai.
  • Yusaku's essentially screwed over right now because Skyfire Prison says "your Deck is screwed to hell". I wouldn't suppose you'd carry NON-Cyberse monsters now? (Nope, well...)

At last, Master Duels.

[spoiler=10 and other thoughts]

These Revolver duels have been really good, with a style of play that's just really similar to the duels in 5D's. Couple things that annoy me, though.

I don't understand why people are going "But why Speed Duels" or acting like "Oh thank goodness they switched to master duels hopefully they stick to them". Speed Duels are there for the same reason that Turbo Duels were there, that Action Duels were there. It's meant to change things up, make it different and play differently. The addition of skills adds an interesting dynamic, and limitations are always fine. They can use that to their advantage.

Also, why all the hate on the character interaction episodes? If this show was always a-duel-an-episode, it'd be some real hot garbage. This time they're taking their time to have the characters interact, develop the plot, and show more to the setting than just "And then they played another card game! And then another card game! And then another card game!"

Master Duels have 4000 LP, which I suppose shouldn't surprise me, even if I did wish they would try out 8000, it's not like they can't just make them gain an insane amount of ATK, they already do that, but hey, not a big deal, we know that they can still be entertaining at 4000.

I wanted 8000, Dark Side of Dimensions lied to me. :(

[spoiler=I guess I" ll keep this in even though there's nothing spoilery about it] 

I don't understand why people are going "But why Speed Duels" or acting like "Oh thank goodness they switched to master duels hopefully they stick to them". Speed Duels are there for the same reason that Turbo Duels were there, that Action Duels were there. It's meant to change things up, make it different and play differently. The addition of skills adds an interesting dynamic, and limitations are always fine. They can use that to their advantage.

I was excited for Master Duels when I thought they'd have 8000 LP, but since they don't I don't see anything better (or worse) about them mechanically than Speed Duels. The one thing they do have, as we've already seen, is more interesting visuals than Speed Duels. Other than that I think they're about equal.

Also, why all the hate on the character interaction episodes? If this show was always a-duel-an-episode, it'd be some real hot garbage. This time they're taking their time to have the characters interact, develop the plot, and show more to the setting than just "And then they played another card game! And then another card game! And then another card game!"

A duel is action, so it can always be counted on for at least a bare minimum of entertainment. Vrains has been pretty dull so far, so a duel is a relief, even though Vrains' duels haven't exactly been great either.

I wanted 8000, Dark Side of Dimensions lied to me. :(

Remember that the point of the anime is to appeal to a younger audience that hasn't played the game before to get them into the game. 8000 LP duels are the ones where they skimp on the explanations more and show off more convoluted plays; AKA duels for the audience that already plays the game and is interested in it. They're not going to do that for the show, I don't know why people were EXPECTING them to.

A duel is action, so it can always be counted on for at least a bare minimum of entertainment. Vrains has been pretty dull so far, so a duel is a relief, even though Vrains' duels haven't exactly been great either.

Action isn't necessary for entertainment, and the character interactions have been very good in the show so far. You're missing out on quite a bit if only the duels interest you. And yeah, every show starts with more lack-luster duels; they start things simple and get more complex as it goes on.

Remember that the point of the anime is to appeal to a younger audience that hasn't played the game before to get them into the game. 8000 LP duels are the ones where they skimp on the explanations more and show off more convoluted plays; AKA duels for the audience that already plays the game and is interested in it. They're not going to do that for the show, I don't know why people were EXPECTING them to.

The anime (and manga) has had 4000 LP duels since Battle City. That was...what? 2000-2001 in Japan? The game is a million times faster now than it was then - 4000 is a really small number now. Relatively speaking, 8000 LP now is arguably smaller than 4000 LP was then. And I expected duels to have 8000 LP because, um...the most recent piece of YGO media had that. Sort of a 'past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior' kind of thing.

Action isn't necessary for entertainment, and the character interactions have been very good in the show so far. You're missing out on quite a bit if only the duels interest you. And yeah, every show starts with more lack-luster duels; they start things simple and get more complex as it goes on.

I said action "can always be counted on for at least a bare minimum of entertainment" not that it was necessary. Back while the early episodes were airing, I was actually complaining how plot-focused the show was and that it needed to breathe and allow time for some genuine character work. And for me, basically all that character stuff has been pretty tedious. Aside from some of Aoi's stuff, it's all been very mechanical and checklist-y, or vague to the point of meaninglessness like Revolver and the SOL Technologies chess pieces, or just repeating things we already know like with Yusaku and Shoichi.

The anime (and manga) has had 4000 LP duels since Battle City. That was...what? 2000-2001 in Japan? The game is a million times faster now than it was then - 4000 is a really small number now. Relatively speaking, 8000 LP now is arguably smaller than 4000 LP was then. And I expected duels to have 8000 LP because, um...the most recent piece of YGO media had that. Sort of a 'past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior' kind of thing.

Not a good reason to "expect" duels to have 8000 LP just because the movie had it. If you're going to argue "past behavior is the best predictor", then you probably should have gone by what the anime has had all along.

Also, speed is mostly irrelevant in this case. You're arguing "But game faster now", but this doesn't matter because not only are the duels all scripted, the reason to have it at 4000 isn't because it's always been at 4000. As I said before, keeping it at 4000 is a matter of pacing in the show vs. how accessible they want the duels to be. The target audience isn't the tournament players that know the game inside-and-out, the target audience is new players and people that haven't played before; they want the duels to be easy to follow, easy to understand, easy for people to pick up on if they ever want to play the game. It allows them to have a slower paced duel without having it go on for too long. Having 8000 LP duels only makes it better for the people that already understand the game, and as far as the duel aspect of the show goes, that's not the audience they're trying to cater to.

The movie stands different because it was the 20th anniversary movie; they went back to their roots with Duel Monsters, and now the audience is no longer new players and people they want to get into the game, but rather people that are nostalgic for the old show; that either understand the duel aspect, or understand the game itself, and with that comes a lot more freedom with what they can do. Not to mention, the shorter time frame of the movie medium means that if they want to get some satisfactory duels in WITH plot progression, it means it has to move a lot faster. The show isn't limited by that constraint.

There's reason to keep it at 4000, and it's frankly not objectively worse for it. It's just a different way to do something, and maybe don't expect the show to cater to the people that understand the game very well.

I said action "can always be counted on for at least a bare minimum of entertainment" not that it was necessary. Back while the early episodes were airing, I was actually complaining how plot-focused the show was and that it needed to breathe and allow time for some genuine character work. And for me, basically all that character stuff has been pretty tedious. Aside from some of Aoi's stuff, it's all been very mechanical and checklist-y, or vague to the point of meaninglessness like Revolver and the SOL Technologies chess pieces, or just repeating things we already know like with Yusaku and Shoichi.

And I would say that it's offered a lot more room to see the characters interact with each other, to see them talking and interacting in ways outside of dueling. The show bogs down when it becomes nothing but dueling, and VRAINS has made the decision to take its time with the plot and characters rather than making the Arc V mistake of charging right in and throwing pacing out the window. It's a slower burn, but it's worth it for seeing more aspects of the characters and more angles of the plot.

Archived