[spoiler=VRAINS 18]

• Akira is 26 if what he said about him and Aoi in the past is true. But yeah, not much older than a chunk of us here. 
  • Yusaku / Kusanagi: "YOU KNOW NOTHING!" (But yeah, got upset that Akira thought he understood their true selves.)
  • Anti-Link deck on Akira's side; honestly would like him to win because it'd be believable, but...watch Yusaku's main character privileges.
  • Kitamura is still firing people; can we just call him "shitty Trump 2.0" now?
  • Yusaku has new Link monster and it's semi-meh. 

By the way, the cards for this episode are posted in TCG; albeit spoiler tagged.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=Thoughts on VRAINS 18]
- Ghost Girl talking about how it wouldn't have mattered if she won that duel or not, getting praise from Ignis
- Kitamura threatens to fire his staff again, with one of them rebutting by wondering how many times they'll be fired
- I don't think I'll get over the name Tindangle. It sounds inappropriate if you ask me. The theme it has is interesting for Flip monsters
- Akira assumes Playmaker is the same age as Aoi and talks about how their parents died 10 years ago and how he had to do underground hacking to get by
- Aoi had a Evilswarm Mandragora teddy 10 years ago, I want one!
- Yusaku/Kusanagi's comment about "YOU KNOW NOTHING!" in reply to Akira's understanding regarding the past

[spoiler=INTO THE VRAINS! TURN 18!] -Yusaku vs defensive anti-link deck

-ATK decrease deck

-Second time in the ENTIRE ANIME Yusaku brings out his ace monster?! Come on! It's already Episode 18! Stop using Storm Access! Start reusing older Links!

-The bond of siblings! The one thing the Flawless Diamond Saber can never hope to break!

[spoiler=INTO THE VRAINS! TURN 18!] -Yusaku vs defensive anti-link deck

-ATK decrease deck

-Second time in the ENTIRE ANIME Yusaku brings out his ace monster?! Come on! It's already Episode 18! Stop using Storm Access! Start reusing older Links!

-The bond of siblings! The one thing the Flawless Diamond Saber can never hope to break!

I find it refreshing that not every duel is him bringing it out like they normally do, need that Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon/Number 39: Utopia

It's nice not to see Number 39 every game, but I feel like we're quickly going to see the opposite problem.

Yuusaku is going to gain so many unmemorable monsters for one-and-done scenarios that all blend together, and we'll never ever be able to pin down what his options are in a given round. Part of it stems from Links being overly generic.

When Yuma gained new Numbers, we always got to see them in action first, and we knew what they took to make by their Rank, so we could see what he was trying to go for as he went (even though 90% of the time it was Hope).

The Playmaker strategy is to just throw any monsters onto the board to make something.

While I'm on the subject, why is a Link Summon on the first turn!? surprising anyone in any duel?

It's nice not to see Number 39 every game, but I feel like we're quickly going to see the opposite problem.

Yuusaku is going to gain so many unmemorable monsters for one-and-done scenarios that all blend together, and we'll never ever be able to pin down what his options are in a given round. Part of it stems from Links being overly generic.

When Yuma gained new Numbers, we always got to see them in action first, and we knew what they took to make by their Rank, so we could see what he was trying to go for as he went (even though 90% of the time it was Hope).

The Playmaker strategy is to just throw any monsters onto the board to make something.

While I'm on the subject, why is a Link Summon on the first turn!? surprising anyone in any duel?

I suppose so, they are obviously wanting to get us a lot of Link Monsters to promote the new mechanic and Cyberse in general, if he only had that one Link Monster it would be boring to watch.

I always kind of took it that most people in the anime world are pretty casual and then there are the mega pro players, AKA the Jacks and the Yuyas

At the same time though, most of the Links that have come out recently are either Cyberse themselves or require them for whatever reason and not truly generic; Firewall, Decode and Varreload are exceptions (albeit harder to make in most cases). 

So yeah, while it is nice to see variety, most are junk that's not going to be used too much afterwards (well, definitely after the powercreep settles and we get much better Links to be used generically). To be fair, only one that Yusaku uses on a repeated basis is Decode.

===

Not really surprised on a turn 1 Link Summon (though it's likely because I've already seen stuff like multiple ED summons off Synchro and Xyz [*cough Zoo, RR, etc*] in the past), though with Yusaku, he's usually a slower player. Suppose they wanted to make it slightly more engaging as opposed to him just making a meh board without ED summoning.

For people in-universe getting surprised on turn 1, probably they're just not as good at it (Zazu already mentioned this), though I think Go made his ace on turn 1 as well. Either that, or their Decks are just slower and don't Link as fast.

[spoiler=EP19]

• Yusaku pulls out a card that literally makes him do piercing damage in the exact situation where that is super useful. I mean, come on.
  • Eye is really annoying this episode, while Yusaku is being a dick to him, I can understand him a bit since I wouldn't be able to concentrate with someone yelling "we are so dead, OMG we are going to lose" all the time.
  • So we now know that 6 children were captured in what is called the Lost Incident, he was forced to duel and would get zapped if he lost. No wonder he isn't a huge fan of dueling, like damn. There is also a giant eyeball with a lady voice, may be an AI though. My theory is that he was released because he sucked too much and they needed good duelists maybe?
  • So the 3 things is something he learned from this lady, I had a feeling it had some meaning, though who is she?
  • Wow, was thinking this was just going to be another duel episode, but it has a lot going on, so it also turns out that Lost Incident is called Hanoi Project, and Akira knows about that too.

[spoiler=VRAINS 19]

• We find out why Yusaku hates Hanoi, and it involves them kidnapping him ten years ago. (So...SOL isn't too involved with this, however the name of the mastermind is in the database).
  • More generic Cyberse stuff from Yusaku; meh. 
  • Acute Cerberus is different from RL; gains 1500 ATK if you have Hound or Angel in GY, and boost changes to 500. Konami, explain why you made it reliant on Base Gardna for RL? The boosts wouldn't be as great, but least it wouldn't be dead weight. 
  • Zaizen has a pretty good setup to block Yusaku.

If anything today, we find out a bit about what happened to Yusaku. Needless to say both Yusaku and Kusanagi are pissed as hell.

[spoiler=Thoughts on VRAINS 19]
- When Akira summoned Acute Cerberus, Playmaker assumed Akira had set it up.
- At least Playmaker is aware that one of Acute Cerberus' links point to his field so he avoid Akira's trap
- How cold, Playmaker doesn't consider Ignis his friend, though that isn't surprising. I mean Ignis was told to be like the other AI and explain stuff.
- Akira mentions to Playmaker that he should stop living in the past and live for the future, however Playmaker says he can't because of the past.
- We learn a bit more about the incident ten years ago, and that Playmaker was kidnapped along with five others and were forced to duel. I can see how the incident affected Yusaku, it must be scarring knowing that how you duel affects when you next eat whilst losing gets you zapped. (To me it felt like a Bushtucker Trial) It'd explain why he wasn't a big fan of duelling. At least his real identity isn't amongst the data.
- So Yusaku learned to do his whole three things shtick from something with a lady's voice.
- We also learn that the reason Playmaker hates Hanoi is because the "Lost Incident" also went by the name; Hanoi Project. Also the mastermind behind the incident is amongst the data they're fighting over.

[spoiler=EP20]

• Episode 20 already? It's been 20+ weeks (with the breaks they had a few times) already? Wow.
  • Uh Security Gardna, a Link-1 that points to the right, that's neat.
  • Yeah so Akira's plan with Gergonne's End failed all so we could get some fake drama where it looks like Yusaku loses and the bad guy walks away, but oh no he didn't actually lose. People are still stupid in the anime, you would never fall for that if you just read the bloody cards once in a while.
  • Hey, is this the first time co-linking is mentioned in the anime? I don't even remember if he used Firewall Dragon's effect before, but regardless, now I know for sure it is.
  • He won again, though now I feel that his lose would be a bigger deal because of all the stuff in the last episode.
  • Interesting, didn't think that the Hound the the Angel would also be in reference to them, it's rare to see them make any connections with the cards and their theme in general with the characters.
  • So a man named Dr. Kogami was the one responsible, however he died, but he seems like its just a coverup, though he did say he was resurrected somehow, I don't now, I can't pin what exactly they are going for right now, maybe it's not suppose to be obvious quite yet. Anyway, he has something to do with Hanoi.

[spoiler=VRAINS 20]

• Oh yay, more situational as hell Links out of Yusaku's ass that save him from losing the duel. (I'll go make a topic for them in TCG, as they're probably going to show up in EXFO; hell forbid we get the real ones leaked soon after.)
    • Also first Link 1 that points to the right and isn't dead outside the EMZ, though you still need to ladder link.
  • Yusaku intentionally triggers Gergonne's End just to blow sheet up, disable Euler's Circuit and win. (Well, that's smart)
  • Chooses not to attack directly and instead returns Hound/Angel to the hand; symbolic of Akira/Aoi actually having another chance, then attacking Cerberus. Meh, either way would've done it.
  • Dr. Kogami / Revolver's dad was responsible, so...SOL was responsible for Yusaku's kidnapping.
  • (To be fair, I'm finding Yusaku to be a fusion of the worst parts of Shun from ARC-V and Sasuke from Naruto; you know, both of them only wanting revenge and existing as an avenger. Er...I think more of the latter.)
    • Maybe he'll reform and stop being like this, but right now, kinda not seeing it. Though I suppose he has some personal skills, but yeah.

[spoiler=Thoughts on VRAINS 20]
- When Playmaker asks who the mastermind Akira mentions that he cannot tell him as it'd increase his hatred.
- Of course Akira would have a card that can move Tindangles (even to the opponent's field) so that he can fulfill Gergonne End's eff
- How convenient, Playmaker summoning a card that blocks effect damage, though Ai's acting almost gave things away
- After the duel, Playmaker mentions that Tindangles Hound and Angel represent Akira and Aoi, thus shouldn't be in the grave which is why he used Firewall's eff to move them into the hand. I thought it was quite touching as he didn't necessarily need to do that (as Akira mentioned)
- So the mastermind of the Hanoi Project is a bloke named Kiyoshi Kogami who was a researcher at SOL (explaining why they had the data) and caused the "Hanoi Project" incident alone, but was found out due to a whistleblower, and since he was a SOL researcher, SOL was able to cover it up.
- Despite the data saying that Kogami had died seven years ago, we learn that he somehow resurrected from the dead to achieve a long-cherished desire.

[spoiler=Upcoming stuff]
Episode 22: 漆黒に染まる日輪 – Shikkoku ni Somaru Nichirin
(The Pitch-Black Sun)
Yusaku and co. investigate a mysterious phenomenon known as “Another,” and successfully identify who the next victim might be…

(Basically, cannot logout and you're comatose in the real world. Think of Aoi after that Hanoi incident if you will)

Episode 23: ゲノムの巨人 – Genomu no Kyojin
(Genome’s Giant)
As he fights against Doctor Genome, GO Onizuka has no choice but to Duel as a heel, doing whatever it takes to win…

(Go returns and we get a new antagonist; likely with a new Deck and stuff.)

https://ygorganization.com/canyousmellwhatthegoiscooking/

So yeah, keep this closed if you don't want to be spoiled.

[spoiler=Thoughts on VRAINS 21]

- Yusaku finds that the data regarding SOL staff from 10 years ago had been deleted

- Kek at Ignis thinking Yusaku is making out with Kusanagi, in addition to him still thinking his acting is good.

- Most/Pretty much all of the episode is basically recapping the last few episodes... yawn

- Yusaku assumes that Revolver must know something given he's the leader of the KoH.

[spoiler=EP21]

• Cute, Stardust Road is referenced as the name of the ocean, still really odd that the whole world seems to revolve around a card game, will never get used to that in the anime.
  • "He's probably making out with the hot dog guy." Uhm, questions, why would you assume that's what he was doing, and why is this the first (to my knowledge) reference to homosexuality in a YGO anime.
  • No, it's another funking recap episode already, I thought it was a fluke last time, but god damn it, so soon after? Please don't make this a regular thing, I am tired of this sheet, I didn't come to watch recaps, I came to watch the actual show. What the funk did they think the show was complicated enough to need it? Because it isn't. I just said funk it and skipped it, because I can't do this sheet again.

[spoiler=EP21]

• Cute, Stardust Road is referenced as the name of the ocean, still really odd that the whole world seems to revolve around a card game, will never get used to that in the anime.
  • "He's probably making out with the hot dog guy." Uhm, questions, why would you assume that's what he was doing, and why is this the first (to my knowledge) reference to homosexuality in a YGO anime.
  • No, it's another funking recap episode already, I thought it was a fluke last time, but god damn it, so soon after? Please don't make this a regular thing, I am tired of this sheet, I didn't come to watch recaps, I came to watch the actual show. What the funk did they think the show was complicated enough to need it? Because it isn't. I just said funk it and skipped it, because I can't do this sheet again.

Didn't Revolutionary Girl Utena do this twice, as did other past Yugioh series?

For the most part, this was literally a recap episode and not much to say about it. Though, there were some things that were revealed this episode, so...spoiler tagging.

[spoiler=VRAINS 21 minor thoughts]

• Most of it was literally recap; can we stop having these, because they really accomplish nothing except rehash what happened already.
  • Any data pertaining to Yusaku's past was wiped, or those responsible / involved at the time. 
  • Yusaku and Kusanagi implied to be a couple by AI; oh you.
  • Revolver apparently knows something, but yeah.

Next two weeks should be more interesting; refer to my previous post for the leaks.

Should be interesting seeing Go again after what seems like an eternity.

Well, about a couple months, but yeah, Go needs more screentime to shine (and an actual victory). To be frank, literally all of the duels on-screen (bar that AI match with Aoi) involve Yusaku in some shape or form (and triggering Storm Access every time for Speed Duels). 

Well, about a couple months, but yeah, Go needs more screentime to shine (and an actual victory). To be frank, literally all of the duels on-screen (bar that AI match with Aoi) involve Yusaku in some shape or form (and triggering Storm Access every time for Speed Duels). 

I agree, Go does need an actual victory, in addition to more screentime. Yeah it has been like two months or so, I assumed it was that..

[spoiler=spoiler]

Hopefully he will win in episode 23.

[spoiler=WHY HAS NOBODY NOTICED THIS?!?!] You: Meh, recap eisode, nothing new, so boring-

OBJECTION!!

As you can see by this screencap of 13, we saw Revolver IRL in a circular-looking house.

In this episode, we see a simiar design of house on the hill overlooking a similar ocean to the one already seen.

Why would this be?

Because *slams hands on desk* THAT IS REVOLVER'S HOUSE!

And due to narrative stuff, they will probably visit the house and make a surprising new "friend..."

With that in mind, how can you claim that Episode 21 was useless?

TBH srsly komoney why you gotta do this your going bankrupt or something?

You could say it's worse to have a filler episode with some relevant things sprinkled in. Like the tiniest things. You feel obligated to watch it, and waste your time without gaining anything much. Though I did like that interaction in the beginning between Kusanagi and Yusaku.

Theory's probably true though. No other reason to randomly mention a new guy. Well, I did notice.

Archived