I have a question, is this anime getting better or worse?

Depends on what you're looking for.

Right now, it's still Yusaku doing the vast majority of duels (and still no loss record on him) along with an unimpressive Deck in general, but Aoi and Go are getting more screentime and support though. Next couple episodes might be some of the better ones. Other important characters have gotten matches, but only one duel each and usually against Yusaku himself. Also most of them are Speed Duels, so if you liked Duel Links and all, then you might like it. If you want Master Duels, then they exist, but not too many. 

tl;dr, Yusaku is the only person who matters in this series.

There are issues with blatant recap episodes though; there've been two of them and obviously, people don't like those. 

====

After episode 30, things might start picking up, but that remains to be seen.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=Thoughts on VRAINS 27]
- We don't know how Naoki got Cyberse Wizard's data, but we can assume it's so he can be used as bait (ofc he didn't realise that, if that was the case, I mean that was my immediate thought whilst watching), though Yusaku was unaware about this, so it might've been Ai's doing
- Ok, their starting hands was really hilarious, and I appreciated that somewhat.
- I was expecting Naoki to lose, but I didn't think he'd actually win. Though to be fair he got lucky, but yeah all signs were pointing to him as losing the duel to lure out Playmaker, but Faust was able to kidnap him when he figured out who Brave Max was IRL.
- For someone using the name "Brave", he didn't show it when cornered by Faust (Though to be fair he was forcefully logged into Link Vrains after being kidnapped, but still), I mean Yusaku called him out on it in an earlier conversation.
- Ai modified Yusaku's duel disk to have a function to find Naoki (by tracking Cyberse Wizard's data), I suppose that's a useful function to have, though at the same time you could say it's risky too.

[spoiler=27]

I also chuckled a little bit at how shameless this was at NOT going into an Xyz with a deck from that era and 3 Level 5s on the field.

Technically they were released in the latter parts of the Synchro era. (I know it doesn't matter, but still), but nevertheless I agree.

I have a question, is this anime getting better or worse?

I think some of the characters have enough charm to them and the series does throw a few jabs at the audience, like hammering in how they think entertainment duels are outdated (Arc V's motto). Though the series has issues.

-Yusaku has pretty much a perfect record, so just like any other protagonist.

-Blue Angel (female lead) has brother issues holding her back, and I don't like that the only duels she's won are against a machine and against another woman. I'm so tired of this kind of crap in Yugioh, and many other JUMP series for that matter.... but I wanna stay optimist.

-The duels are passable. "Skills" (once per duel fixed abilities) are much more accountable for than Action Cards, and strategies are not as brain-dead as ZeXal's. Link Monsters kind of require all games to be somewhat of a spam-fest, and that is less than ideal for me, but might not be too bad for others. 

-Story/plot is not moving super fast, or giving off a ton of info, but to be fair that's what Yusaku is hunting for in part, so yeah.

It really depends. I've seen all Yugioh series be somebody's fav, so you'd have to judge for yourself.

So Motor Worms are pretty neat, I like the Worm Bait retrain, that's fun. Strange that they are LIGHT, I figured DARK, since that is what the other Archetypes that KoH have used are so far (I think).

I think it makes sense that they're LIGHT as the Motor aspect relates to electricity, and archetypes like Batteryman are LIGHT.

I think it makes sense that they're LIGHT as the Motor aspect relates to electricity, and archetypes like Batteryman are LIGHT.

True, though it sounds like they would be Machine instead, which typically do EARTH for literal machines, I guess it's like Cyber Dragon, and they are Insect, not Machine. I do wish they had chosen another Attribute, since Digital Bugs are also LIGHT, so that's boring.

[spoiler=Thoughts on VRAINS 28]
- These Motor Worms are rather interesting, and Fausts strat to cockblock Playmaker (via his continuous spell and turning Cyberse Wizard into an insect)
- Faust states that Playmaker was one of the victims and said victims led to the creation of the Ignis (and that he'll bear the burden for the rest of his life), so he's aware of Playmaker's identity
- I'm not surprised Playmaker got Powercode Talker (SD33's boss) from Storm Access (considering the last code Talker card was acquired via the same method).
- I wonder what Faust is on about regarding humanity's future
- Playmaker offers Naoki some good advice; forging his own path no matter how difficult
- Yusaku deduces that Faust had no intention of turning Naoki into an Another, and that someone had used Naoki to lure him out. He's also starting to suspect Ai (I suppose it was a matter of time)

Oh my god, another recap episode. I'm sorry, but this is bloody unacceptable, unless the show is only 40 episodes long, I can't agree with this sheet, how many are you going to do before the end of the series? I know that they are going to milk this as much as possible, it'll be at least 100 episodes like all the other animes, but the amount we are getting is just stupid. I don't understand, what is even the need for them? We live in a digital age, we can rewatch epsiodes now, we can read recaps, we can read reviews, so why? How badly could they have mismanaged their money to need this many? It doesn't make sense.

A recap episode... Saw it coming tbh, cuz the episode's title and description were a big giveaway. I just skimmed through the whole episode and wow they even recapped from episode 1.

Can't believe we're at 29 episodes and yet we had 3 funking recap episodes.

I imagine the studio is having money problems...

Not worth spoiler tagging this, but yeah, recap episode. Those of you who want to skip this episode, go ahead; you won't miss anything important. Only thing you learn is the name of Kusanagi's brother. 

Wouldn't be as bad if they were more spread out (i.e. we get a 3rd recap after episode 100, but we'd had 3 weeks worth of this sheet out of 29). 

I really hope we don't keep is average of a recap every 10 episodes until we reach the 150 or so every series fills.

I actually like the slice of life bits in Yugioh, but I'm not willing to hunt for them within a recap episode.

Didn't the director apologize for the second one when it happened and said that there wouldn't be any more in a while?
I seriously prefer a week with no episode than a recap one. Guess they still wanna get some sort of audience here even if there's nothing to present.

Oh my god, another recap episode. I'm sorry, but this is bloody unacceptable, unless the show is only 40 episodes long, I can't agree with this s***, how many are you going to do before the end of the series? I know that they are going to milk this as much as possible, it'll be at least 100 episodes like all the other animes, but the amount we are getting is just stupid. I don't understand, what is even the need for them? We live in a digital age, we can rewatch epsiodes now, we can read recaps, we can read reviews, so why? How badly could they have mismanaged their money to need this many? It doesn't make sense.

Recap episodes generally happen because the scheduled episode couldn't be finished on time, which is to say something got messed up during production. Vrains' production has obviously been disastrous, but I don't know near enough about anime production to guess as to why. I do know that with the tight schedules anime is produced under, throwing money at a problem frequently isn't much help.

Meanwhile the show is still gah so dull. The Another arc was such a mind-blowing waste of time: Here's a bad thing, here are the 3 people responsible, duel the first one, duel the second, duel the third. Arc over. I thought this was being written by veteran scriptwriters.

[spoiler=Thoughts on VRAINS 29]

Wow... another bloody recap episode. We're like 29 episodes in and we had 3 recap episodes (and this one recapped events from the beginning), bloody ridiculous if you ask me. 

- So Kusanagi's brother is named Jin, k

- I wonder what purpose this Tower of Hanoi will have moving forward

[spoiler=Vrains 30]

apparently the grand scheme of KoH is near its completion, despite losing valuable resources for fending Playmaker action

@ the plan is involving Vrains Deleted Data Reprocessing Plant. Probably to scrape out certain programs that dated beyond the creation of Link Vrains

@ Revolver vs Ghost girl yey

@Yusaku being chased by abomination that probably spawned by the manipulating of the Plant

There a bit quality improvement on technical esthatic. Some continuous action-to-action animation and shadow render

The preview of next episode kind of sounded like a series finale preview. Did anybody else get that vibe? No? Just me? ok.....

Not as in "last episode" but as in "climax approaching". Also, maybe they will (and they most likely should) call hiatus if they are having critical issues in production at the moment (because 3 recaps and all).

[spoiler=Something else]

30 episodes in, and I think this is more or less the first duel of this kind. Between the hierarchy of who's likely to win going Protagonist > Support > Randos/One-Shots.

It's always Yusaku playing against somebody, or a support character (Aoi or Go) playing against characters that got taken down relatively quickly into their arc.

We finally get somewhat of a "two recurring characters previously established" kind of duel, and it is great that we see the world moving without Yusaku at the center once in a while.

Though only so much. We all know she's only there to show off Revolver's power, and Yusaku is probably gonna arrive at an early-enough point to get to analyze it before jumping into a duel with Revolver himself.

I can't but recall Chazz vs Bastion, where there was only a moral high ground but otherwise it could go either way. Maybe something like that could eventually exist in Vrains.

[spoiler=Thoughts on VRAINS 30]

- So despite losing the 3 Knights, Hanoi's plan is nearing completion and revolves around the data processing plant, hmm....

- Kitamura taking credit for defeating the 3 KoH (that Yusaku, Go and Aoi beat), yeah he would do that to get in the higher ups' good books. Though after what happened with his AI squad, he had that coming.

- Kusanagi/Yusaku set out to find anomalies in Link Vrains. (and I'd defo call that sewer dragon thingy an anomaly)

- Ofc Ghost Girl would rig the deck in her favour, but she has to deal with Revolver and whatever new sheet he seems to have

[spoiler=vrains 31]

• Remember those cards that got spam leaked earlier in the week? Yeah, Revolver used them and won.
    • To be fair, Ghost Girl's new toy got used too, but...
  • Uh yeah writers, you need to show us what Revolver did. I'm going to assume it was Mirror Force (inb4 TCG users say "but Mirror Force cards are bad"). 
  • Yusaku apparently has no common sense / lack of danger awareness, because if Ai didn't log him out; he'd be crushed to death by rubble when the Tower rose.
    • Yeah, shock at Ghost Girl getting OTK'd, but...
  • RIP Ghost Girl.
  • Link VRAINS is getting screwed over now. 

To be fair, she did manage to bounce a boss monster away with minimal effort, but then things happened. 

Also, next episode summary (thank YGOrganization for it).

Episode 32: ハノイの塔 – Hanoi no Tō
(The Tower of Hanoi)

An ominous tower has appeared in LINK VRAINS. An incident then occurs, where many Duelists get converted to data. Learning this, Playmaker heads to LINK VRAINS, bringing the info Ghost Girl entrusted to him with him. He meets up with GO Onizuka and Blue Angel, and exchanges information with them. The three then split up to search for Revolver. However, Blue Angel then runs into Specter…

Archived