May? Legitimately upset.

Finally new characters! Aoi will most definitely be no different than Kotori or Yuzu unless her VR form really makes her stick out. And even then I don't think anyone should get their hopes up. But Onizuka though. Can't tell if he's in his VR form or not; it's like a weird Normality Scale <Onizuka(1)---Yusaku(3)---Aoi(5)>.

Going to assume Firewall Dragon is Link 4? Which shouldn't be too hard to summon and will probably lean on the more generic side.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be another Link 3 (or yeah, probably a Link 4 if you ladder off Decode Talker), but we'll have to see.

As for this series airing in May, I read on YGOrganization that they're going to be trying CGI for this series and that may be why they need the extra month to prepare it for us. 

Actually yeah, could ask you for 1 mat meaning you'd have to use a Link 3 and still be Link 3. That'd be a clever way to ladder without increasing Markers.

Confused. Didn't they always have some CGI in ygo?

Really going to not care too much about who voices the dub, because I'm probably not going to get it and stopped watching in early ZEXAL.

But as for the CGI part, suppose they're going 100% into it as opposed to the limited amounts, so...

The initial announcement said the duels were fully CG and VRAINS is pushing what TV shows can do, so maybe they needed extra time to iron out the special effects? Either that or there's a marathon(s) running throughout April.

Someone on YGOrganization wrote this, but it's either this or a bunch of other anime took the April slots.
/ shrugs /

Probably applies to the bulk of us in here; staying with subs after 4Kids/whatever they're called now screwed up during the dubs. 

But yeah, the delay is probably to get the CGI effects working (we are getting a preview in April though, so there'll be SOMETHING to watch). First episode is likely just to introduce Yusaku and the like, plus a glimpse into VR duels. 

[spoiler=Dubbing]I never care about the dubbing, especially for YGO. The problem is that it's never true to original. Characters, Names, Soundtrack, Tone, everything is changed for the sake of what? Dumbing it down for children? DM didn't do it TOO much, and I never saw GX subbed aside from Season 4 so I can't say. Recent series also never actually finish the series in its entirety; leaving it off at some ambiguous part or ending to that arc. At 12, I was still able to note plot holes and unanswered questions. They'll never give it the respect it deserves, so why waste my time? Because it's in English? I'm good...

Really makes me anxious when they try to push CGI. Watching Battle Spirits doesn't bother me, but still... I dunno, maybe it's a consistency thing; all of it, or none of it... 

[spoiler=About the dubs]

Well, they didn't finish Season 4 of GX (and I had to finish watching that AFTER the end of 5Ds) and 5Ds got the entire Ark Cradle thing cut out. But then again, I only started watching the subs from 5Ds onwards (and yes, they removed Clear Mind and other amazing soundtracks). Only watched the first 10 dubbed episodes of ZEXAL, then I said "screw it, I'm going full subs". That in mind, I did have to end up marathoning 130+ episodes of ZEXAL subs because only RAWs were available. [This was the series where the subbers were really slow].

I admit I grew up watching the DM and GX dubs, so can't say how good the quality was compared to the English. (Can't argue with Dan Green as Yami though)

You can probably blame the FCC and overly sensitive / conservative parents/politicans/lawmakers, etc for making Yugioh dubs crappy.

That aside, I guess they want to make sure everything's in order before they roll this out too quickly and something screws up along the way. I haven't seen any other anime that use a heavy amount of CGI, so...

[spoiler=Moar Dub rant]DM's dubbing wasn't too bad, it definitely took itself seriously for better or worse, minus the censorship when it got "too real"(i.e. Pegasus being held at gunpoint, Arkana and his saw blade duel, etc), but small stuff like that doesn't bother me.

And GX's initial tone was very laid back so I'm perfectly fine with some of the cheesy dubbing. Except certain episodes that were suppose to be darkish.

When 5D's came out is when I started watching YGO pure-subbed. 5D's seemed okay, but the soundtrack felt so... dated? I wanted to see how they handled the Dark Signers, specifically Carly, and they skipped the whole episode entirely which was plot relevant, and I just laughed. Then I shook my head when they didn't do the Arc Cradle.

Zexal Dubbed I didn't even give a chance after the first 2 eps, a friend of mine came up to me and jokingly said "Get set to get decked" (Something Yuma says in earlier episodes?) and I died a little inside.

Arc-V dub I watched just so I could see what they're feeding our younger generation. Felt like there was zero general progression whatsoever, like I was watching DM with the same soundtrack, sound cues/board, and line delivery. Maybe that's what they were going for?

Battle Spirits is another card game anime where all the monsters are CGI. I find most things people call crappy unwatchable CGI, very much watchable; usually doesn't bother me much. But that doesn't mean it's good or that there aren't better alternatives; like just animating it regularly...?

Also do we know who's doing the writing and such? I heard they're trying to tone down this series? Which bothers me. Arc-V didn't quite live up to that 5D's quality we wanted, but I think it's fine bar to keep it at.

Battle Spirits is another card game anime where all the monsters are CGI. I find most things people call crappy unwatchable CGI, very much watchable; usually doesn't bother me much. But that doesn't mean it's good or that there aren't better alternatives; like just animating it regularly...?

I've seen bits and pieces of Battle Spirits in the past and I found it bearable even though the monsters were in CGI.

An issue DM's dub sustains is the inability of the dubbers to recognize the importance of silent moments or more consistent effect explanations.

You can find several instances of the audience hearing Yugi's thoughts in the dub. Dumb stuff like "Oh no, what am I going to do now?" where in the original version he just had a silent poker face, which makes more sense considering much of the time the plot twist was already in his hand/field so he was already going for it. Then in the dub we either get an obnoxiously cheesy explanation of a card's effect when we know it's gonna backfire or not be used after all, OR we get cheesy lines with the bad guys being bad guys or more Yugi thoughts at scenes that in the original version were either silent or had a character explaining something. Noah's Yata Garasu play is better in the sub, just to name an example.....

They did the same thing with Yusei in 5D's dub, and that ruins my image of Yusei a little TBH. On top of Jack's voice in the dub that's not the over the top "I AM KING" kind of tone, but an angsty teen kind of tone instead.... I'm still also bothered whenever I hear "Akiza".... It's not even a localized name, couldn't they have just left it be "Aki" if they were gonna do the change just for the hell of it? That said, I had fun with some of the lines in the dub despite the shortcomings. Not as good as the sub but not the worse they've done.

GX is better dubbed at the light scenes. The characters are given enough cheesiness and charisma. However, the dub is awful at trying to show serious moments. To give an example I don't need to get as dark as Yubel arch or season 4. Watch the duel between Crowler and Chumley and you'll see Crowler's inner monologue at the end ruin the moment in the dub, and keep the characters' dignity better in the sub. Kaiba also suffers from this to a degree in DM. Just look at his duel for the bronze place at Battle City and how he talks to/about Joey in both versions.

ZeXal wasn't very good even in sub. No way I'd watch the watered down and overacted version of it when it was already bottom of my list in the franchise. *cough*

[spoiler=Moar Dub rant]DM's dubbing wasn't too bad, it definitely took itself seriously for better or worse, minus the censorship when it got "too real"(i.e. Pegasus being held at gunpoint, Arkana and his saw blade duel, etc), but small stuff like that doesn't bother me.

And GX's initial tone was very laid back so I'm perfectly fine with some of the cheesy dubbing. Except certain episodes that were suppose to be darkish.

When 5D's came out is when I started watching YGO pure-subbed. 5D's seemed okay, but the soundtrack felt so... dated? I wanted to see how they handled the Dark Signers, specifically Carly, and they skipped the whole episode entirely which was plot relevant, and I just laughed. Then I shook my head when they didn't do the Arc Cradle.

Zexal Dubbed I didn't even give a chance after the first 2 eps, a friend of mine came up to me and jokingly said "Get set to get decked" (Something Yuma says in earlier episodes?) and I died a little inside.

Arc-V dub I watched just so I could see what they're feeding our younger generation. Felt like there was zero general progression whatsoever, like I was watching DM with the same soundtrack, sound cues/board, and line delivery. Maybe that's what they were going for?

Also do we know who's doing the writing and such? I heard they're trying to tone down this series? Which bothers me. Arc-V didn't quite live up to that 5D's quality we wanted, but I think it's fine bar to keep it at.

OBJECTION! Sorry, my grandma and I were watching Phoenix Wright Justice for all playthrough. Anyway, Carly becoming a Dark Signer, That got dubbed. Granted they altered it a bit from Sayer getting impaled to Sayer falling into a purple mist, still...

An issue DM's dub sustains is the inability of the dubbers to recognize the importance of silent moments or more consistent effect explanations.

You can find several instances of the audience hearing Yugi's thoughts in the dub. Dumb stuff like "Oh no, what am I going to do now?" where in the original version he just had a silent poker face, which makes more sense considering much of the time the plot twist was already in his hand/field so he was already going for it. Then in the dub we either get an obnoxiously cheesy explanation of a card's effect when we know it's gonna backfire or not be used after all, OR we get cheesy lines with the bad guys being bad guys or more Yugi thoughts at scenes that in the original version were either silent or had a character explaining something. Noah's Yata Garasu play is better in the sub, just to name an example.....

They did the same thing with Yusei in 5D's dub, and that ruins my image of Yusei a little TBH. On top of Jack's voice in the dub that's not the over the top "I AM KING" kind of tone, but an angsty teen kind of tone instead.... I'm still also bothered whenever I hear "Akiza".... It's not even a localized name, couldn't they have just left it be "Aki" if they were gonna do the change just for the hell of it? That said, I had fun with some of the lines in the dub despite the shortcomings. Not as good as the sub but not the worse they've done.

GX is better dubbed at the light scenes. The characters are given enough cheesiness and charisma. However, the dub is awful at trying to show serious moments. To give an example I don't need to get as dark as Yubel arch or season 4. Watch the duel between Crowler and Chumley and you'll see Crowler's inner monologue at the end ruin the moment in the dub, and keep the characters' dignity better in the sub. Kaiba also suffers from this to a degree in DM. Just look at his duel for the bronze place at Battle City and how he talks to/about Joey in both versions.

ZeXal wasn't very good even in sub. No way I'd watch the watered down and overacted version of it when it was already bottom of my list in the franchise. *cough*

And to be fair, I watched snipits of the Arc-V dub. After reading the articles on the wiki, I lost interest. In a way, it's like the VA cast of Pokemon. Almost nobody recognizable. Keyword: Almost.

Anyway, I just hope the whole series isn't ALL CGI.

I think White has you covered...

Wow, and here I thought I was going to have to wait a few more weeks for Firewall and other char's decks.

Go uses Warriors and Aoi uses Fairies. Never would've guessed~ *sarcasm*. Interesting that they both have Link Monsters (aces maybe?). Well not THAT shocking given how the game is now, and the anime's message of trying new things or w/e. Hopefully we'll still have a lot of diverse summoning methods like Arc-V.

Yeah, Winter posted the effects in TCG after I did this [was looking on Discord at the time, and someone posted the links to everything]. Hopefully the anime effects don't differ too much from what we got here.

But at the very least, the support cast (calling them this for now) have their own Links, as opposed to ARC-V when Yuya's the only one using Pendulums until later (and even then, it's still relatively exclusive to him). Would be nice for them to have other Summon methods (don't make this like ZEXAL where characters literally only use their new Summon mechanic with exceptions; well 5Ds had a couple Fusions).

vj11.jpg?resize=300%2C246&ssl=1

https://ygorganization.com/lifttheembargolifttheembargolifttheembargolifttheembargoliftth/

not much apart for some details like how the the Hoverboards function and Aoi being Idol Group  Duelist

Aoi Decks seems legit though

Need bigger picture. Also, did you just say Idol Group duelist?

So Aoi is the Spinelli of the Yugioh Universe. Hasn't this trope been done before?

Archived