• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if it's the right thing to do to make a thread right now. We don't have the series title and even our information is limited to a few lines and like 3 images. 

Even more so, the actual series will begin in like 4 months. By that time if we don't get enough constant influx of leaks this will not be necrobumpable.

I wonder if it's the right thing to do to make a thread right now. We don't have the series title and even our information is limited to a few lines and like 3 images. 

Even more so, the actual series will begin in like 4 months. By that time if we don't get enough constant influx of leaks this will not be necrobumpable.

ah you right. well too much hype

sakura is it legal to lock this thread until then...or probs gonna be to long?

It'll probably be better to just remake the thread later when more data comes out; for now, suppose we can still use the ARC-V thread for discussion. Or we can let Smear decide what's best for this. 

Yeah, I did say that we should make a separate discussion, but that was on the condition that we'd get more stuff to deal with. All we know thus far is the main character is another male (which shouldn't come as much of a surprise), his name and background and that we get a slight revival in new-age 5Ds stuff.

(Looking at when the current ARC-V thread was made, we didn't have too much info either; least from my understanding)

----

EDIT: Smear gave the okay for it, so carry on.

Let's see,

[spoiler=On Chosen Ones]

Yugi I don't remember if he was chosen. His grandpa built the pharaoh's traps in his past life so being the one that overcame them just puts Yugi in a coincidental situation. Well he did solve the puzzle and the manga implied that the puzzle has to let you do it or else it'll screw with your mind (from what I saw in the manga when Duck's father tried to solve it).

Jaden was the supreme king..... definitely a chosen one....

Yusei... Huh he was weird. He was a Crimson Dragon chosen one but so were other 5 people, some of which weren't as crucial. He did mostly escalate through the ranks and ruin the meaning of Birthmark in the series. Also, his "chosen from the future" was made by somebody from the future that saw what he had already made, so it's a weird paradox but he presumably did something good before which qualified him for it? IDK....

Yuma: Did we ever get told why Kazuma had the Emperor's key? I don't remember.

Yuya: Definitely a chosen one. He reshaped the dimension to help him come back as Zarc, or something like that, so he's his own avatar.

Btw, I'm trying to think of what the new series will be about from a technical game stand-point.

Will there be a new mechanic?
How will it be like?
Or will they just expand on what there currently is?

Do we have a clue based on past generational transitions of Yugioh? I bet this one would mostly only clue us into what the metagame would evolve into rather than the specifics of a new mechanic.

What aspects of today's game are being over-used?

I remember 5Ds had tons of emphasis of weak monsters merging into fine-tuned Level amounts and Graveyard filling. Then came Xyzs with more simple conditions, no Levels, and retaining Materials to begin fixing that...

From Gx to 5Ds we had destruction as a main form of removal and bosses be super heavy nomis or specific fusions, then came Stardust and destruction started being countered more, and Synchros making bosses a bit more accessible and generic (because GX was also archetype hell).

So From Arc V to this one.... what could it be?

Let's see, ARC-V just made Scale 0 and 13 for Pendulums; the mechanic itself still needs refining to become less of a pain to contend with and the game is already nuts as-is. I'd be fine with them not introducing a new summon mechanic (probably better if they don't, considering the above), but chances are they will. 

As for Yusaku's design, liking it so far. Looks more like he's upperclassman or early college student by appearance, but yeah, could be younger. Just hope he's tolerable. Likely going to be a bit lazy, given the theme's implication (and yeah, new duelist).

---

Don't disappoint us, new series. 

Personally I think every Yugioh disappoints at one point or another.

I've dropped most of them throughout the years at different points until they get out of X plots/arcs or downright get done with their finale depending on which one we are talking about.

I can't get hyped now that it is pretty much gen 6 of that. Though I still overall very much enjoy following.

I know I'll at least enjoy the beginning of it, as I always do. By the end, these shows carry accumulated scars.

Though there are cases like 5Ds or GX where I just enjoy the characters themselves even in the most filler scenarios, and that's enough to make me go back.

- - - - - - - -

For this one, It catches my attention that it is virtual reality. That has never been a thing before...

Holograms for most, holograms with matter for Arc V, and augmented reality for ZeXal.

Does that mean they'll have rooms especially made for dueling?

That change is either hinting at the show being more "down to earth" like the beginning of Vanguard was, with game stores specializing on it and no random duels on the streets,

OR it'll be more limiting than any of the previous gens..... or be mistranslated?

@Sleepy: Well, we don't know how these virtual duels will be like, as the info was released a couple hours ago. Pretty sure more data on that will be released in the coming days (along with the other things that we need to know).

---

Oh right, and the show's theme is very similar to another franchise that I've been getting on recently; probably coincidental.

Let's see,

[spoiler=On Chosen Ones]

Yugi I don't remember if he was chosen. His grandpa built the pharaoh's traps in his past life so being the one that overcame them just puts Yugi in a coincidental situation. Well he did solve the puzzle and the manga implied that the puzzle has to let you do it or else it'll screw with your mind (from what I saw in the manga when Duck's father tried to solve it).

Jaden was the supreme king..... definitely a chosen one....

Yusei... Huh he was weird. He was a Crimson Dragon chosen one but so were other 5 people, some of which weren't as crucial. He did mostly escalate through the ranks and ruin the meaning of Birthmark in the series. Also, his "chosen from the future" was made by somebody from the future that saw what he had already made, so it's a weird paradox but he presumably did something good before which qualified him for it? IDK....

Yuma: Did we ever get told why Kazuma had the Emperor's key? I don't remember.

Yuya: Definitely a chosen one. He reshaped the dimension to help him come back as Zarc, or something like that, so he's his own avatar.

Btw, I'm trying to think of what the new series will be about from a technical game stand-point.

Will there be a new mechanic?

How will it be like?

Or will they just expand on what there currently is?

Do we have a clue based on past generational transitions of Yugioh? I bet this one would mostly only clue us into what the metagame would evolve into rather than the specifics of a new mechanic.

What aspects of today's game are being over-used?

I remember 5Ds had tons of emphasis of weak monsters merging into fine-tuned Level amounts and Graveyard filling. Then came Xyzs with more simple conditions, no Levels, and retaining Materials to begin fixing that...

From Gx to 5Ds we had destruction as a main form of removal and bosses be super heavy nomis or specific fusions, then came Stardust and destruction started being countered more, and Synchros making bosses a bit more accessible and generic (because GX was also archetype hell).

So From Arc V to this one.... what could it be?

i personally think Summon mechanic may not just about cool feature to be included but also about solving the ever-present problems that may occur in the game or at very least increase the number of diversity on meta....kinda like what optimistic people theorize on the arrival on pendulum: adding setup option and a bit of speed especially to (supposedly) old decks. hmm we can predict this if we know thoroughly the technical problem we have in game right now 

but i also hope the new mechanic is not blatantly new rather a further evolution of what we have today. kinda like GX era which only present us with Contact Fusion. evolution rather than straight introduction is kinda more make sense to the theme and problems it represent. Yusaku here is hinted to be completely newbie  so it will overwhelming to him to have to learn the entirety of franchise game basics on top of the brand new gimmick. unlike Yuya a rather knowledgeable duelist that simply adjust his deck (and with some help of Zarc) when pendulum handed over to him

Hmm, this looks ok. On one hand, the new protagonist looks WAY too much like another one of Yuya's clones. One the other hand, he's apparently at least slightly older. Still holding out for another Yusei, but given the Yuya-ish look and high school setting, I'm not expecting it from this guy.

As for hoverboards, hey, I loved Riding duels. If this can add the same feeling of pace and danger to the duels as that did, I'm game, even if it looks a little dumber.

Also, any idea on when we'll be getting a name for this series? Would it have been revealed at the event these pics came from, and just hasn't been revealed yet, or do we have to wait a bit longer?

Here's my guess. We'll see how much is wrong by the time of the reveal:

Duel Monsters is still a huge and popular hit in this world, but not to the extent of the other generations. This time, duels are held inside special rooms designated for it, and due to their virtual reality gimmick, you won't be seeing anybody dueling as everyday life just anywhere.

Yusaku is a high school student who doesn't like standing out. He is going about with his school life until he bumps into a duel (presumably a duel where his rival will be playing against X) and be conflicted between his nature of staying in the shadows and taking on a game that's gaining on popularity. He knows if he enters, he might want to get really good at it, as he is sort of a perfectionist at heart at whatever he does. Getting good at it means getting the spotlight at some point. He probably hates cameras (and who wouldn't with that hai-*shot* )

The reclusion of Duel Monsters to designated ares hints at the massive decrease of its dependency on the rest of the world. Pretty much back to a hobby that schools don't revolve around AKA a regular high school in this case.

Yusaku's struggle keeps him apart, yet aware of the popular trend. He decides to make a change and go for it, buy a starter deck at a store, and then get obliterated by the equivalent of a full power PePe turn 1, making use of tons of advanced mechanics in the process. This overwhelms him, yet excites him. Yusaku makes up his mind to try to master the game to that degree and surpass it.

For that episode concept to work though, the pilot will have to forget about being a tutorial like in every other series. Rather, game 1 of the series would have to show something bigger that focuses in looking flashy but not too advanced/convoluted to overwhelm the audience. The rest of the season would be him living through the tutorial. Episode 1 could still be strong if it chooses to focus on the characters rather than on the game right away.

The VR setting also lends itself to have the duelist's own body damaged or altered in bigger ways, leading to darker settings, and when the plot involving magic or saving something inevitably arrives (which I'd hope would have subtle hints throughout the tutorial phase of the show but overall take about as long to really kick in as Ren did in Vanguard), it'll probably be somebody making the VR body damage translate IRL, AKA what Zarc from Arc V did with his opponents in the previous dimension flashback. 

This would we weird. From there it could either be pretty much the Digiworld, or have the plot eventually move out to the real world causing havoc. None of which sounds very good. The latter would be very out of place for the hypothetical in-universe I described.

As for a guess in a new mechanic? I have an idea, and I'll risk sounding too full of myself saying this but I did a custom mechanic that's a more elaborated sort of "deck masters", and I think Konami could be aiming for a variation of that.

Now watch me get shamelessly specific on promoting something with no more merit to the canon than your average fanfic.

Sort of Deck Master-like mechanic:

-Especial New kind of cards that are by your side from the start of the duel, and act more like suits or mode/changes for the duelist and can be swapped around.

-They are activated a certain way and just get back to your side outside the board when taken hits.

-They have their own life bar and can take hits for you as a cushion, helping in duels lasting more even if the aggressiveness were to increase (like triple attackers or triple pierce effects and whatnot).

-They'd be Extra Deck carriers instead of going into the Extra Deck themselves (with varying capacities) at the cost of shrinking the OG Extra Deck by X amounts, essentially increasing the overall Extra Deck limit, but with that catch. ED monsters would only be available if you are using that specific [insert mechanic name here] card.

^I really think it'd improve things in the game if it was like that.

Archived