Rep Reform

that is very clearly a chase circumstance, and I honestly doubt that most people cared.

As for misc: because the post count is supposed to be representative of how much content you add to the site, and misc isn't real content.

And reps aren't?

It's not a chase circumstance when said individual pole faulted into the top 10 (maybe 5 at this point with armz gone) of repholders based on it

There is a very clear formula for abuse that needs to be stomped out in Misc

It's not high thousands. Those were accumulated for a varying amount of reasons. Not solely the game.

And no. Likes should not be taken away from Miscellaneous and Games. Nor should Dislikes be implemented.

Why because your farm would vanish?

You posted more in the games thread than combinations of the next 4 people. You camped out in that tread and did score in the thousands off misc nyx

And reps aren't?

It's not a chase circumstance when said individual pole faulted into the top 10 (maybe 5 at this point with armz gone) of repholders based on it

Why because your farm would vanish?

You posted more in the games thread than the next 4 people combined. You camped out in that tread and did score in the thousands off misc nyx

Quit drawing assumptions. You didn't start posting until April.

And reps aren't?

You misunderstand what I mean by chase circumstance. How often does such occur?

As for the difference between post count and reps: post count defines member group, and is an approximate indicator of just how much experience they have in the forum. Reps, once again, are arbitrary. Like, I could have mine set to 0 and not give a sheet. They don't matter, and only have an effect on anything when you choose to get worked up over a system with very little real meaning. For someone who complains about people being triggered or too sensitive, you are painfully quick to jump to assuming the world is rigged against you.

So the question becomes; How many people care about the relative fairness of a bunch of arbitrary points representing approval of strangers on the internet enough to make changes?

Because I don't see the need to; If the reps actually matter to you, then simply being able to look back at the posts that got repped should be enough satisifaction to fill that desperate need for approval in your life.

Because a rep has no defined meaning, trying to balance them out to be 'fair' so that higher quality posters are rewarded more often, is essentially impossible.

Either way, it's not something that most given two shits about enough to try and radically alter a perfectly fine system to make it 'fair'. The issue of rep abuse to perpetuate a given opinion only matters if you view reps as a vindication of a given opinion. Which they aren't. You have no way of telling why someone repped you when they do, only that something in a post meant they thought it deserved a click.

Post count does not equal Likes.

They do when every 5 posts you get a rep in that particular thread

100 to rep, avg age of ycm 17-24, do the math

a5e9eHY.png

You joined the game way after people like Tewt is the best part

Would you like me to publish more convos about your rep abuse in games?

You misunderstand what I mean by chase circumstance. How often does such occur?

As for the difference between post count and reps: post count defines member group, and is an approximate indicator of just how much experience they have in the forum. Reps, once again, are arbitrary. Like, I could have mine set to 0 and not give a sheet. They don't matter, and only have an effect on anything when you choose to get worked up over a system with very little real meaning. For someone who complains about people being triggered or too sensitive, you are painfully quick to jump to assuming the world is rigged against you.

If debate reps go, I'm one of the two people most likely to get shafted by it...it's not about me

So the question becomes; How many people care about the relative fairness of a bunch of arbitrary points representing approval of strangers on the internet enough to make changes?

Because I don't see the need to; If the reps actually matter to you, then simply being able to look back at the posts that got repped should be enough satisifaction to fill that desperate need for approval in your life.

Because a rep has no defined meaning, trying to balance them out to be 'fair' so that higher quality posters are rewarded more often, is essentially impossible.

Either way, it's not something that most given two shits about enough to try and radically alter a perfectly fine system to make it 'fair'. The issue of rep abuse to perpetuate a given opinion only matters if you view reps as a vindication of a given opinion. Which they aren't. You have no way of telling why someone repped you when they do, only that something in a post meant they thought it deserved a click.

If you don't give two shits about it, balancing it shouldn't make you upset

They do when every 5 posts you get a rep in that particular thread

100 to rep, avg age of ycm 17-24, do the math

a5e9eHY.png

You joined the game way after people like Tewt is the best part

Would you like me to publish more convos about your rep abuse in games?

I did not always receive Likes. Often times, it would be users like Rodrigo or Sakura that would achieve the Like. Not to mention, a majority of your posts were the last post for the Like alone.

I was waiting for you to say that. Would you like some more?

I even told Nyx that at least 90% of the time, I literally see him ONLY in that game. (If that thread were non-existent, pretty sure his rep counter would be less than a third of what it is now).

But yeah, a lock might be warranted in light of this fact. Either that, or just set a limit on how many times one can post in that thread per day. 

It wouldn't make me upset. But it also means I'm not going to advocate for it, because it sounds like a lot of effort to fix a very minor issue.

Because change requires people to give a damn afterall, and it seems like almost nobody actually does. Because again; It's a set of arbitrary approval points on the internet. 'fair' should not enter the equation.

Was that quote from a pm between you and sakura? Because that supports the idea that this is your problem, not that of the forum as a whole.

Still waiting for you to make the case as to why just repeatedly posting in a game thread that take next to no dedication should be equal to some of the best posts in RP or TCG

Was that quote from a pm between you and sakura? Because that supports the idea that this is your problem, not that of the forum as a whole.

This. You are the only one complaining about it. No one should have to fall in line with what you say simply because you are displeased.

Also: Could a moderator please lock this thread?

Still waiting for you to make the case as to why just repeatedly posting in a game thread that take next to no dedication should be equal to some of the best posts in RP or TCG

Because we don't post in RP and tcg for reps? If you do, that's kinda sad.

And as nyx said, why are you pointing fingers when you posted in and gained reps from the thread in question?

This. You are the only one complaining about it. 

Also: Could a moderator please lock this thread?

Nyx, people literally referred to it as farming, I don't know what more you need as proof of rep abuse than that

Why should the thread be locked?

No one should have to fall in line with what you say simply because you are displeased.

Isn't that argument only valid if there is a defined set of critera as to what a rep can be given for/means?

A rep is simply an indication of approval, not of quality. And as such, more reps on a games post than a debate or TCG post doesn't mean the games post is of higher or more desirable quality, it just means more people approve of it for whatever reason they wish.

There's again, no metric of unfairness involved here, because there's no critera by which a rep can and can't be given out. A rep worthy post is different to one than it is to others. Are some reps thus worth more or less because of the scarcity one gives them out? No, because in the end, it's just a random internet point.

Because we don't post in RP and tcg for reps? If you do, that's kinda sad.

And as nyx said, why are you pointing fingers when you posted in and gained reps from the thread in question?

While posts show dedication to the forum

Reps show quality of your posts in the eyes of the public

Which thread? The election thread in general? I'm perfectly happy to lose every rep in that thread I got if I'll make you feel better. I think there should be an stifled exchange of opinion in debate where approval should be written out in post form, not given as a silent click

I'm not pointing fingers, but I'll take you up on that too, remove all reps everyone got from the rep game thread.

Because it is not generating proper discussion, it is not something that the rest of the community is concerned with (nor should be concerned with), and is overall just petty at best.

It is relevant, because you perfectly demonstrated how to break the system. If you're personally offended I named you, a similar argument can be made for Rodrigo, or me and Jesse in the election thread with the ycm right/left respectively

It's not just you

I have a somewhat different proposition. How about view rep reform from the perspective of enacting punishment? Say if someone where to habitually break the rules and were already given the usual forms of punishment (especially a temporary ban), perhaps the moderators can temporarily (or permanently depending on the severity of the circumstances) remove a significant portion of their reps. Iv'e noticed many make a big deal out of losing their reps, so perhaps using rep removal as a form of punishment will be quite effective.

Oh my life, have we really boiled down to debating over an arbitrary system that is basically always going to be a circle jerk whether you like it or not?

It was never going to be an indicator of how much content you add, most reps come from meme posts or generally OTT/funny/"savage" posts that dont actually add to YCM itself. I generally go out of my way to rep feedback on custom cards and decks i create in the deck section for this reason, but i also rep things i find funny because i want to display that I've found something i like, nothing more, nothing less. Reps have no meaning and never will because if we ban it from misc we will still have the circle-jerk mentality and rep what we personally like instead of judging it in a logical or mechanical fashion. This entire debacle is a glorified waste of time.

Also, specifically you, Winter, have no right to speak, over two hundred of your reps have come from me simply because you asked for them and i complied. 

No, because in the end, it's just a random internet point.

I'm going with this, because I do think this thread is trying to make more out of something than is necessary.

Because it is not generating proper discussion, it is not something that the rest of the community is concerned with (nor should be concerned with), and is overall just petty at best.

Agreed. I don't see there's really anything productive to be gained from keeping this thread open. I'm locking this.

Archived