Coffins! "Bring out your Dead!"

fearen

Hello everyone! This is my Coffin archetype. They're earth zombies who do fusioning and are also unions, because I decided to put my zombie/union, zombie/fusion, and union/fusion ideas together to make this monstrosity. I don't actually have any art for them, but I had imagined them as sort of cutesy like the Ghostricks, so just keep that in mind for flavory' stuff.

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]There's 12 main deck monsters, 7 of which are unions each union corresponds to an effect monster, with 2 of them going with a fusion monster. The main deck monsters come in levels 1 through 6 and are all earth zombies.

Name: Coffin Zomben
Card: Monster
Level: 3
Attribute: Earth
Type: Zombie
ATK: 1600 DEF: 0
Effect: Once per turn: You can target 1 "Coffin" Union monster in your Graveyard; equip it to this card. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Polymerization" or 1 "Fusion" Spell Card in your Graveyard, except "Diffusion Wave-Motion"; add it to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Coffin Zomben" once per turn.

The basic value boi of the archetype. He's just a regular zombie.

Name: Coffinen
Card: Monster/Union
Level: 4
ATK: 0 DEF: 1900
Effect: Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Zombie-type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. If the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, destroy this card instead. During either player's turn: You can Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using this card and the equipped monster as Fusion Materials. You can only use this effect of "Coffinen" once per turn.

Just a regular coffin. That also fusion summons.

Name: Coffin Digger
Level: 5
ATK: 1900 DEF: 0
Effect: If this card is in your Graveyard: You can target 1 "Coffin" Union monster you control; Special Summon this card, and if you do, equip it to this card. You can only use this effect of "Coffin Digger" once per turn.

Grave digger monster. Free special summons.

Name: Coffintomb
Level: 3
ATK: 0 DEF: 1300
Effect: If this card is Normal or Special Summoned, you can send 1 "Coffin" monster from your Deck to your Graveyard. You can only use this effect of "Coffintomb" once per turn. Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Zombie-type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. If the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, destroy this card instead.

Coffintomb like entomb. Get it. Anyways, it's the archetype foolish burial.

Name: Coffin Hosten
Level: 2
ATK: 900 DEF: 0
Effect: During either player's turn: You can discard this card, then target 1 Zombie-type monster you control; reveal 1 "Coffin" Union monster in your hand, and if you do, equip it to that target. If this card is in your Graveyard: You can target 1 "Coffin" monster you control; Special Summon this card, and if you do, destroy that target. You can only use each effect of "Coffin Hosten" once per turn.

Hand trap union equip sort of? Also introduces the "destroy your own things" mechanic. As for flavor, this ones kind of like a funeral attendant.

Name: Opencoffin
Level: 1
ATK: 0 DEF: 400
Effect: Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Zombie-type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. If the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, destroy this card instead. If this card is destroyed by battle or by card effect: You can target 1 "Coffin" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it. You can only use this effect of "Opencoffin" once per turn.

Special summons when destroyed, including by its own effect. An open coffin funeral, with the body mysteriously absent...

Name: Coffinton Skelen
Level: 1
ATK: 300 DEF: 0
Effect: If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target up to 2 "Coffin" monsters in your Graveyard; Special Summon them, but destroy them during the End Phase. You can only use this effect of "Coffinton Skelen" once per turn.

A spooky skeleton.

Name: Coffincrypt
Level: 2
ATK: 0 DEF: 800
Effect: Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Zombie-type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. If the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, destroy this card instead. During either player's turn, if this card is in the Graveyard: You can discard 1 card, then target 1 "Coffin" monster you control; equip this card to that target. You can only use this effect of "Coffincrypt" once per turn.

Quick play save your monsters. For flavor, think like the catacombs in France.

Name: Sarcoffin Mummen
Level: 6
ATK: 2400 DEF: 0
Effect: If you control no monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand), but destroy it during the End Phase. If you control a "Coffin" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your Graveyard), but destroy it during the End Phase. You can only Special Summon "Sarcoffin Mummen(s)" once per turn.

A big soft boy. 

Name: Sarcoffingus
ATK: 0 DEF: 2200
Effect: Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Zombie-type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. If a monster equipped with this card battles, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Battle Phase, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, destroy this card instead.

Gives the boys some battle protection.

Name: Coffinmaiden
Level: 4
ATK: 0 DEF: 2100
Effect: Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Zombie-type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card cannot be targeted by an opponent's card effects, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, destroy this card instead.

Some targeting protection and a nice wall. I had to make the word play a bit less obvious because of the naming conventions I went with, but this is supposed to be an iron maiden. Goes with the Coffin Holy'en.

Name: Coffinship
ATK: 0 DEF: 2700
Effect: Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 Zombie-type monster you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card can attack all monsters your opponent controls, once each, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or by card effect, destroy this card instead.

We're raidin' the ports. A sunken ship, goes with the Cap'n of course.

[spoiler=Fusion Monsters]There are 6 fusions, levels 4 through 9, and each one has a different attribute. Also there are not nearly enough water zombies. Somebody should make a zombie pirate archetype already, it would be really cool. Oh yeah, the cards.

Name: Coffin Yard
Card: Monster/Fusion
Level:4
ATK: 0 DEF: 2000
Effect: 2 "Coffin" monsters
During either player's turn: You can target 1 "Coffin" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it, but destroy it during the End Phase. Once, per turn, during the Standby Phase, if this card is in the Graveyard because it was sent there since the last Standby Phase: You can add 1 "Polymerization" Spell Card or 1 "Fusion" Spell Card from your Deck to your hand, except "Diffusion Wave-Motion". You can only use each effect of "Coffin Yard" once per turn.

A graveyard. Also, I wish they would just give Polymerization the (This card is always treated as a "Fusion" card.) and Diffusion the (This card is never treated as a "Fusion" card.) text, but whatever.

Name: Coffin Holy'en
Attribute: Light
ATK: 2300 DEF: 0
Effect: "Coffinmaiden" + 1 Zombie-type monster
If this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 monster in the Graveyard; equip it to this card. During either player's turn: You can discard 1 "Coffin" monster, then target 1 monster equipped to a monster you control; Special Summon it. You can only use each effect of "Coffin Holy'en" once per turn.

The gravedigger had a career change. Turns your instant fusions into a monster reborn sort of-ish.

Name: Coffin Cap'n
Attribute: Water
ATK: 1900 DEF: 0
Effect: "Coffinship" + 1 Zombie-type monster
This card gains 600 ATK for each monster equipped to it. If this card declares an attack, you can target 1 "Coffin" Union monster in your Graveyard; equip it to this card. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can add 1 "Coffin" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Coffin Cap'n" once per turn.

Yo ho!

Name: Coffing Miasma
Level: 7
Attribute: Wind
ATK: 2900 DEF: 0
Effect: 1 "Coffin" monster + 1 Fusion monster
Once per chain, during either player's turn: If your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card or effect; you can negate the activation, and if you do, destroy both that card and this card. Once per turn, during your End Phase: You can target 1 "Coffin" Union monster in your Graveyard; equip it to this card.

A mass burial like in the olden times of the plague. I'm not sure how to make this ones art look cute.

Name: Coffin Home
Level: 8
Attribute: Fire
ATK: 3100 DEF: 0
Effect: 1 "Coffin" monster + 1 Fusion monster
Once per chain, during either player's turn: If your opponent would Special Summon a monster(s), or activate the effect of a monster; you can negate the summon or activation, and if you do, destroy both that monster(s) and this card. Once per turn, during your End Phase: You can target 1 "Coffin" Union monster in your Graveyard; equip it to this card.

Either a house fire or a crematorium. Having the same problem as with miasma.

Name: Self Mummification Sarcoffingus
Level: 9
Attribute: Dark
ATK: 2700 DEF: 3200
Effect: "Sarcoffingus" + "Sarcoffin Mummen" + 1 Zombie-type monster
Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can target 1 other monster on the field; equip it to this card. Once per turn, during either players turn: You can target 1 monster equipped to this card; until the End Phase, this card's name becomes that monster's, and replace this effect with that monster's original effects.

The big boss of the archetype. It's both a coffin and a coffin dweller, so it has an ATK and DEF.

[spoiler=Spells]The archetype only has 2 spells (and no traps) right now, and it's probably going to stay like that. Both of them are fusions with names that are pretty clever if I do say so myself.

Name: Entomb Fusion
Card: Spell
Effect: Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters you control as Fusion Material. If Summoning a "Coffin" Fusion Monster this way, you can also send 1 monster from your Deck to the Graveyard as Fusion Material.

Name: Exhume Fusion
Card: Spell
Effect: Target 1 Zombie-type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it, then Fusion Summon 1 "Coffin" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or field as Fusion Material, including that monster.

And that's the archetype. Tell me what you think, please.

[spoiler=Change-Log][spoiler=12/25/16]Stat Changes

[spoiler=Coffin Digger]ATK 2300 -> 1900

Effect Changes

[spoiler=Exhume Fusion]Target up to 1 Zombie-type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it, then Fusion Summon 1 "Coffin" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or field as Fusion Material, including that monster.

I like this - anything cute and spooky at the same time sounds fun, and Unions don't get much love so nice. Couple issues I had, maybe others won't have the same ones:

Coffin Digger seems a little too easy to just spam. Perhaps lower the ATK and Level to make it decent.

Coffinen being able to trigger as a Quick Effect is nice, but perhaps a little crazy.

Coffin Home would have a picture of a house on fire with the Ghostrick Skeleton running away and falling apart with his robes on fire…at least it does in my head. Perhaps give it the "You can only use this effect of X once per turn." clause.

Entomb Fusion should have a "The Fusion Summoned Monster cannot attack or activate its effects the turn you activate this card" effect if you're pulling Monsters from the Deck for this.

Exhume Fusion should probably state you have to use the Summoned Monster for the Fusion otherwise it's a barely-limited Monster Reborn plus Poly.

All the cards should have Ghostrick Skeleton on them for anyone interested in making pics - like Opencoffin would have like some Madolche Monsters looking surprised at the empty coffin and the Skeleton would be sneaking off in the background, perhaps accompanying or even carrying the body.

I like this - anything cute and spooky at the same time sounds fun, and Unions don't get much love so nice. Couple issues I had, maybe others won't have the same ones:

Coffin Digger seems a little too easy to just spam. Perhaps lower the ATK and Level to make it decent.

Coffinen being able to trigger as a Quick Effect is nice, but perhaps a little crazy.

Coffin Home would have a picture of a house on fire with the Ghostrick Skeleton running away and falling apart with his robes on fire…at least it does in my head. Perhaps give it the "You can only use this effect of X once per turn." clause.

Entomb Fusion should have a "The Fusion Summoned Monster cannot attack or activate its effects the turn you activate this card" effect if you're pulling Monsters from the Deck for this.

Exhume Fusion should probably state you have to use the Summoned Monster for the Fusion otherwise it's a barely-limited Monster Reborn plus Poly.

All the cards should have Ghostrick Skeleton on them for anyone interested in making pics - like Opencoffin would have like some Madolche Monsters looking surprised at the empty coffin and the Skeleton would be sneaking off in the background, perhaps accompanying or even carrying the body.

Thanks for the review! I had some of the same suspicions as you about coffinen and exhume fusion, but I am still not sure on coffinen as well. I'm definitely going to fix digger and exhume, but I'll need to think about the rest. Home kind of does have a once per turn effect if you don't support it, but I might change the last effect to make it less spammy. I'm not sure though since it takes a fusion, but then yugioh is all about cheating things out. I feel like the problem with Entomb (should one arise) isn't the monster that's summoned, but the monster that you send from the deck. I don't really think there's anything too exploitable with it right now.

I'll make either this post or the first one into a change log and get to work.

Archived