[Archtype] Celestial Dragons

spartenX

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting to the site so if I've formatted the post wrong please tell me so I can fix it

Anyways, for a while now (as in since 5Ds was nearing its end) I've had the idea to make a synchro based archetype with Dragons based around celestial bodies. I had originally intended to just leave them as written cards since I couldn't find some accompanying artwork.....at least until yesterday when I found a series on deviantart based around this exact theme. (the original artist for most of the artwork can be found here http://twilightsaint.deviantart.com/)

The main deck monsters are based on the 9 planets (or 8 planets + pluto), with the tuners and non tuner being decided by which side of the asteroid belt they fall on (tuners are the inner planets, non-tuners are the outer planets). I based their effects on the idea of both making synchros summoning easier and also rewarding the player for using them as materials. 

The Synchro monsters are based on non planetary bodies (so stuff like the sun or moon). These guys are designed to be more aggressive, with a number removal effects, attack increasing effects, burn effects and the like. That being said, a number of them do have protection or floating effects to either prevent or minimize their loss. 

I tried to stick as close to PSCT as I could, but since this is my first serious attempt at making custom cards I am certain I've screwed up somewhere with it. 

so without further ado, here they are

[spoiler=Tuner monsters] 0LcyqZF.jpg

First up is Mercury. his low level means he has a lot of variety in what he can be used to synchro summon, which is further helped by his ability to synchro summon himself from the hand. admittedly though, the combination of this level and summonign ability means he will probably be mostly used to synchro summon using synchro monster already on the field as materials, though he will come in handy to summon out the decks synchro tuner. he also provides an example of rewarding the player for using him as synchro material, in this case with a pretty simple draw 1. 

uyvOW8j.jpg

next up is Venus, known for a rather poisonous atmosphere, which inspired its name and attribute. It helps with synchro summoning by fetching the other material for the summon, while also allowing you to search for another monster once it leaves the field. do note that while its second effect is meant to be used when it being used for a synchro summon, it would also activate any other time it leaves the field, say for example by battle destruction or an opponents card effect.

illYM4w.jpg

Earth here got its name from being the only planet that has living creatures on it (I suppose lively earth would have also worked for that) its effect was inspired by wind witch ice bell,  as it can special summon itself from the hand and then special summon something from the deck. much like ice bell, earth also has a restriction to prevent the rank 3 abuse that terrortop is used for, though in this case, the restriction is simply that earth can't be used for an xyz summon. 

its third effect was inspired by plaguespreader, being able to revive itself from the grave. with plaugespreader you could send a card from your hand to the top of the deck so bring him back, then banish him when he leaves the field. with earth, I tweaked that effect to now banish another celestial dragon to bring him back from the grave (which would then trigger his summon from the deck effect), however it can only be used once per duel. this allows you to still use his other other effects, while also prevent him being abused too much.

vvE2Di0.jpg

The last of the tuners, and the only one of them to have their name inspired by their counterpart in the roman pantheon (in this case, the god of war mars). its effect was inspired by the cardians (a number of whom can draw a card and special summon it if its a cardian) and one of their support cards, cardination (which adds a cardian to hand from grave, then lets you special summon any cardian from your hand). In this case, I had to make it check the top few cards of the deck since there is no way to stack the deck in this archetype unlike with cardians. It's variable level effect was also inspired by red-eyed dice (though in this case, mars alters its own level). his reward for being used in a synchro summon is to increase the ATK of the monster summoned with him, which seemed fitting for a monster related to a god of war. 

[spoiler=Non-tuner monsters] uJvhmtd.jpg

Jupiter here gets its name from being the largest planet in the solar system, while its first effect is inspired by the rather obscure card power invader. its second effect is taken directly from constellar pollux, though in this case to allow for synchro plays instead of xyz plays. he also comes with a reward for using him as synchro material, in this case he summons a satellite token (inspired by Jupiter having more moons than any other planet in the solar system). this token is listed as having a level of 1, but Jupiters effect lets you change that tokens level to that of any celestial dragon in the grave, thus giving you another monster on the field to use in pretty much any synchro summon and extend you plays. 

uLxEGVs.jpg

Saturn here gets its name and attribute due to being one of the two gas giants in the solar system. its effect doesn't really have much of an inspiration, its simply meant to get you another monster to perform another synchro summon with. pretty simple, but it can come in handy (especially since it can summon earth, who can then summon another material from the deck)

xaDAhrI.jpg

Stop laughing. anyways, Uranus is another card with a variable level effect, but this time he later someone elses level, which allows for different variety in how hi effect is used than mars. Uranus (seriously, stop laughing) can also serach out one of the archetypes spell or trap cards in a similar manner to dark magic circle (and like venus, this triggers any time hes sent to the grave)

m968QtA.jpg

Neptune has been designed with the idea of "freezing" your opponent in place. In this case, he prevents your opponent from activating cards in response to the summon of the synchro monster he was used as material for while also banishing himself to negate effects that would target your celestial dragons. 

h05oA18.jpg

This is a case where the artwork I found for a dragon doesn't make much sense with its effect. It was made by the same guy I've gotten all the other artwork from, and was the only case of a pluto dragon I could find. I would have cut out the second dragon, but I don't really have the photoshop skills to do so without butchering the image. 

anyways, on to the card itself. the name and attribute are inspired by the roman pantheon counter part (Pluto, god of the dead). this subsequently inspired both his revival and retrieval effects.

[spoiler=Synchro Monsters] aSATcgf.jpg

Now alot of you are probably wondering what the hell this is supposed to be. well, its actually based around the idea of planet X, a name used to refer to a hypothetical extra planet in the solar system (pluto actually used to be a planet X until it was officially discovered, at least according to wikipedia). The artwork used for this image was originally made for a dark matter dragon, but I though it looked pretty much like I envisioned a card based on planet X, dark, mysterious, and almost looks like its not even there. this is also something that ended up reflected in his effect, being able to bypass your opponents monster to attack directly and then banish itself and another monster. I'd also like to point out that the banish effect doesn't target, meaning this guy can hit anything that can be affected by monster effects

6Fgcge1.jpg

Despite this being a moon based dragon, I actually used the artists rendition of an alien dragon for the card image, as actual moon dragon image would not upload to the site for some reason, it kept on turning the image box completely black for some reason. 

anyways, I wanted to base this guys effect on the idea of the moon having different phases and a dark and light side. so, I dipped into the morphtronic theme of having different effects depending on if hes in attack or defense mode. in attack mode, he gets a major offensive effect (a sort of combination of catastor and BLS) while in defense mode he offers some in archetype protection. I've also given him the "switche to defnse mode after it attacks" effect that a number of cards have to fully take advantage of him having battle position dependent effects

vSPpsl6.jpg

This guy is based on the asteroid belt (which actually works nicely with its name). I knew I wanted the asteroid belt card to have some removal effect, and decided to have him focus on spell and trap removal when I realized the archetype didn't have anything like that. so I gave him a once per turn verison of cosmic cyclone with a bit of night beam thrown in, as well as an on destruction MST. 

o31pMXu.jpg

this guy is the decks ace. Or rather, the decks ace monster that gets upgraded into the decks real ace monster later, like stardust dragon or utopia. hes got a lot of effects, and is very much meant to be aggressive, increasing its own attack, burning the opponent when it destroys a monster, and negating monster effecting when it attacks. He also has a floating effect in case the opponent manages to take him out, and its a floating effect that activates whenever he leaves the field so it will still trigger if it gets castelled or kaijued. 

IGFkvYO.jpg

one of two monsters whose artwork didn't come from twilightsaint, this art comes from the bushiroad cardgame "future card buddy fight". while twilightsaint did have a couple of black hole dragon designs, none of them came as close to what I had envisioned as this did. 

anyways, the card is meant to basically come out, clear the field by banishing everything, hit your opponent, then leave and let you and your opponent get one of your banished monsters back. I put in as many clauses as I could to make sure that this guy couldn't be abused by having him come out, banish everything, and then leave the field before his effect to bring back those two monster went off. I also had the synchro materials used to summon him be banished so that when this guy is summoned, there is always a Celestial dragon for you to summon with his effect. 

kqVZzcA.jpg

the decks synchro tuner. I designed the first effect to basically be the ultimate accel synchro effect. you can activate it, not just during the opponents main phase, and not just during their main and battle phase, but at any time you could activate a quick effect, including during your turn. the second effect is to make getting the accel synchro monster out easier, (either by summon the synchro monster needed for non tuner materials or summoning the cards to make that synchro monster) but it can also be used to summon any of the other synchro monsters you put in the extra deck. 

S68akLW.jpg

the decks accel synchro monster and final boss card. like black hole abomination, the art twilightsaint made for a galaxy dragon didn't match my vision nearly as well at this image (made by isvoc http://isvoc.deviantart.com/). 

this guy is supposed be seen as an upgrade to corona dragon (much like how shooting star is an upgrade to stardust) but I didn't restrict him to only using corona dragon as the non-tuner material as I knew that you could change one on the other celestial dragon synchro monsters level in order to summon this guy, and I didn't want to keep people from not being able to use that method to summon this guy (even if the main way to summon him is tuning whelp and corona). galactic here has standard boss monster protection (can't be target or destroyed by opponents effects) while also borrowing two of coronas effects (increasing attack and negating monster effects when it attacks. In a slight inspiration from shooting star and quasar,he also has a multi attack effect. finally, he also has a floating effect inspired by the effect of quasar and the anime's version of halberd cannon. 

[spoiler=spell and traps]the art for the spell and trap effects are all just pics I found on google (with one or two having been cropped to better work with the cards), so I'll just link to the page where I got them all from

JMkGWVn.jpg

https://www.britannica.com/science/optical-telescope

the decks search spell (and I think its pretty safe to say that making it a telescope was the obvious choice), which can also grab a card from the graveyard, so long as its already in there and hasn't already been activated in the turn

txYOqo4.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/427490189603918824/

this card is obviously meant to get out two monster in order for you to synchro with, with the added bonus that you can get those monster from the deck if you already have a synchro in the grave to banish. the artwork is obviously based on how the asteroid belt splits the outer and inner planets, which really works with how I've designed the planet based monster.

5rNEunx.jpg

http://www.nakedeyeplanets.com/

when looking stuff up on venus, I remembered that it was a planet that can be seen in the sky like it was a star. inspired by this, I made up this card to fetch a tuner (such as poisonous venus) from the deck, while also giving it an effect to help further protect your monsters, mostly because I thought it would help the archetype a bit more.

7jm54K0.jpg

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/what-astronomers-are-still-discovering-about-big-bang-theory-180949794/

not sure if the big bang is the best theme for a revival card, but I'm sticking with it.

I figured it would be a good idea to give the deck its own monster reborn, but while doing so a thought occurred to me about making it a quickplay, so you could also reborn in the battle phase or on your opponents turn. I also gave it a more restricted revival effect in the grave, but I'm wondering if the might be a little overboard for an in-archetype revival quickplay. 

mU4wOZg.jpg

http://efdreams.com/eclipse.html

I knew I wanted to fit an eclipse card in here somewhere but wasn't sure what I should do with it. eventually I settle on giving it a protection theme (similar to lunar serpents defense mode effect, but temporary and covering a different range) along with a grave effect that is basically return of the dragon lords grave effect combined with a nerfed version of corona dragon attack gain effect. 

p0MrswQ.jpg

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/23/us_skywatchers_get_earths_first_peek_at_new_meteor_shower/

similar to how I knew that asteroid beast should have some kind of removal effect, I knew one based on a meteor shower should have one as well. In this case, I made the effect be one that activates when a Celestial dragon is summoned, but also restricted it once per turn because there are a lot of special summon effects in this archetype. the revival effect was inspired from the continuous red eyes trap, return of Red-eyes.

I have edited some of the cards after some feedback on reddit

Archived