[Finished]Season 15 Leaderboard Postseason

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Welcome to the Season 15 Postseason. 

As 2016 wraps up, let's see which of you will become the Leaderboard Postseason champion. 

[spoiler=Rules]
1. All standard rules apply (YCM, 1v1 contests and general Leaderboard)

2. The rounds shall be hosted in the 1v1 subforum by me.

3. Top 8 in regular season may enter. If a spot is not taken, then it is opened up for anybody.

(If you didn't participate in Leaderboard or missed the top 8, you may request to enter this tournament, but it will be on a first-come basis, so sign up quickly if you want in. Slots will be given to the first (x) members who enter; x being the number of slots that I have available by the deadline.)

4. Deadline for entry is December 22, 2016 @ 5:00 pm HST, though I have the right to close entry early if the slots are filled (either all 8 finishers signed up, or any slots that were left open are filled by you guys)

5. This will be a double elimination tournament, meaning that losers will get their own bracket as a chance for redemption. (2 losses in a row and you're out)

6. Cards for each round are due 2 days after the card requirements are posted. Extensions can be granted if you are busy with work, school or other personal matters, but no more than two days.

7. All cards must be PM'd to me.

8. The winners of each round get a rep from the losers.

9. The brackets shall be done through Challonge; I will post a link to it. 

10. Seeding shall be based on regular season standings (whoever is on Leaderboard is higher than those who didn't participate)

11. I have the right to add rules as we go, but probably shouldn't have to.

[spoiler=Card Requirements]
Round 1: Make a card based on Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (yeah, go make a card based on him or the others)

Deadline: 12/24/2016; 7 pm HST

Round 2: Make a generic Scale 9 or higher monster

Deadline: 12/31/2016, 4 pm HST

LL2: TBA

Deadline:

Final: TBA

[spoiler=Prizes]
1st: 10,00 points, 3 Reps, Award Logo
2nd: 7,500 points, 2 Reps
3rd: 5,000 points, 1 Rep

[spoiler=Contestants]

Leaderboard finishers

1. Yuri-kun
  2. Black D'Sceptyr
  3. CuriousHeartless
  4. Bird w/Sprinkler
  5. Bellringer Angel (nya)

Bolded are those who have confirmed entry via the PM invitation. 

[spoiler=Bracket]
Preliminaries

Yuri-kun vs Black D'Sceptyr

CuriousHeartless vs AEZ vs Bellringer Angel

Semifinals - LL1

BDS vs AEZ (Semi)

Yuri-kun vs CuriousHeartless

LL2

BDS vs Yuri-kun

Finals

AEZ vs 

----

Good luck guys. 

Just bumping this up.

As a reminder for those who finished in the top 8 for Season 15 (which is everyone but CatmanDaGamer, due to it being a small pool), if you don't reply to the invitation email by 5 pm tomorrow, your slot goes to the next person who wants in. Right now, 5 of you have confirmed (Yuri, BDS, nya, CuriousHeartless and AEZ)

For the rest of you, sign up if you want to enter. (If you have questions about this tournament as a whole, don't hesitate to ask)

----

If, for whatever reason, we do get less than 8 members; then byes will have to be given. Don't think it's happened in Leaderboard history, but then again, I haven't seen all of them.

Well, I really should've looked at when Tori logged on, because they've been gone for two months and neither Dova/Yuuji have logged on recently; least before I made this thread. I also messaged CatmanDaGamer as he was technically 9th (but because Tori is nowhere to be seen, he gets bumped to 8th and can qualify), but as I got no reply from him by the deadline, he's not in this tournament. 

(You had enough time, bro)

So yeah, looks like it will be a modified Leaderboard with 5 people, which amounts to a 2 round tournament as opposed to the standard 3. 

Match Format

Preliminaries: 2 matches (1 standard 1v1 and 1 3-way fight; unprecedented, yes, but what can I do about it.)

Semfinal: 1 match (whoever wins their fights in the preliminaries)

(LL1: Whoever loses the preliminaries; winner goes to LL2)

(LL2: Whoever wins LL1 and whoever loses from the semifinal in the normal bracket)

Finals: 1 match (whoever wins the loser bracket and whoever wins the loser bracket)

---

Writing this manually as opposed to using Challonge due to the unorthodox Postseason this time around requiring a 3-way. As such, first match will be a standard 1v1 (so top 2 finishers from Season 15 face each other as normal, and those of you ranked 3rd - 5th are in the 3-way).

Theme has been added to the OP; you have until December 24th; 7 pm my time to PM me a card. I'll give you guys a reminder over PM as well.

To be fair, I would've really liked to use it as the FINAL theme, but would be out of season if I did (well, being after Christmas), given the timing of this tournament, even if YCM Christmas lasts until spring.

Yeah, round 1 ended three days ago and by now, we should've been on the loser bracket 2 match. 

Anyway, round 2 / LL1 requirements are as follows:

Design a generic Scale 9 or higher monster.

(You can make this a Main Deck or ED monster; choice is yours, but should be usable in all Decks and not have any major limitations. Also be mindful of balancing.)

You have until December 31st, 4 pm HST (UTC -10:00) to get something in. I would've liked to not have this drag into 2017, but circumstances don't permit me to do it. (If you guys get your stuff in earlier, then we can start the matches ahead of time)

Well, let's get this over with, so Season 16 can start ASAP. 

So for BDS and Yuri, your task for LL2 will be to design a card based on something from Hawaiian religion (yeah, Hawai'i does have its own set of gods and goddesses, along with traditions and stuff). I am well aware that this is not a widely spoken thing outside this state, but let's see if you found out more about our customs instead of relying on Sun/Moon.

[spoiler=Example topics]

• The major gods (Kāne, Kūkaʻilimoku [Kū], Lono, Kanaloa)
  • Minor deities (Pele might be the easiest one to do for because of more information, as the others will require more research [and this isn't a religion course])
  • Māui (This is cognate with the island of Maui; you may also find him in other Polynesian cultures, but use ours) 
  • Moʻo (reptilian water deities; can be considered as our equivalent of dragons)
  • Aikapu system
  • Kumulipo (creation myth)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_religion

Recommendations and flavor things

I'm going to highly recommend doing the first bullet point, Pele, Māui and maybe the (Ai)kapu system because you have more resources available to you (information is more plentiful), as opposed to more obscure things. This is not an exhaustive list, but to make it easier on you, just go for the stuff that has a ton of data. 

Because the ʻokina and kahakō/macron do not render on the cardmaker and TCGEditor, you can replace the former with apostrophe/grave accent key (or omit) and latter can use regular vowels or circumflexed vowels (has the caret over them). I am usually technical about this due to limitations in the Hawaiian alphabet and how words look the same with/out the diacritical markings, but going to be lenient on this.*

(If you want to make a card based on the Tapus from Sun/Moon, that will also be acceptable b/c they are supposedly based on the major deities)

* Some words are written w/out the diacriticals and are commonly accepted in writing, but to avoid getting them mixed up with different things that are written similarly, try to use them. (In this case, shouldn't have any issues, or very few). Keyboards do not have easy access to these characters, so those will do as appropriate substitutes. 

===

You have until January 11th, 2016 @ 11:59 pm HST to submit an entry. I'm giving some extra time (roughly 4 hours) due to the theme. If you need an extension due to coursework (because school has started again for some of us) or some other circumstances that require you to be away, then do let me know.

Archived