Knights of Dark Intent - A pair of Ruthless Xyz

Libracor

So I was screwing around with some of my old designs, and I decided to actually post these two. They're a heavily offensive pair and there's not really any more to say about that.

Also, not gonna lie, I suck with PSCT

Here they are

C6Qtoall.jpg

3 level 3 Monsters
Once per turn, During Either Player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Send 1 monster from your Deck or Extra Deck to the Graveyard. This monster gains ATK and DEF equal to the DEF of the sent monster until the End Phase.

2WBtK7Kl.jpg

4 Level 4 Monsters

This monster cannot declare a direct attack. When this monster destroys a monster by battle, it gains ATK equal to the ATK or DEF of the destroyed monster until the End Phase. Also, it can attack again. If this monster would be destroyed or banished, you can detach 2 Xyz materials from this card instead.

Ruthless Shadow Knight's text basically says "This card can keep attacking as long as your opponent has a Monster it can beat, also whenever it beats a Monster make it easier to beat the next one." which is kind of crazy. Perhaps limit the overall number of times it can attack in a turn by changing the "Also, it can attack again" to "Also, this card can make a second attack" or adding a "You can only activate this effect of 'Ruthless Shadow Knight' up to X times per turn" clause. There should also be a comma before your "Also, it can attack again" not a period, as it and the ATK/DEF gain are part of the same effect. I did like that you thought to add a no-direct-attack clause as a balancing measure.

Darksun Knight looks nice, I don't see anything wrong with him.

Ruthless Shadow Knight's text basically says "This card can keep attacking as long as your opponent has a Monster it can beat, also whenever it beats a Monster make it easier to beat the next one." which is kind of crazy. Perhaps limit the overall number of times it can attack in a turn by changing the "Also, it can attack again" to "Also, this card can make a second attack" or adding a "You can only activate this effect of 'Ruthless Shadow Knight' up to X times per turn" clause. There should also be a comma before your "Also, it can attack again" not a period, as it and the ATK/DEF gain are part of the same effect. I did like that you thought to add a no-direct-attack clause as a balancing measure.

Darksun Knight looks nice, I don't see anything wrong with him.

on the contrary i find both of these incredibly underwhelming

Darksun: for a Rank 3 3 mat the only thing that could be stand up is its possible shenanigan of monster sent by its detach effect..other than that, its only 1500...not the greatest answer ever given its rather heavy investement

Ruthless: holly molly its 4 mat 4. R4nk combo probably still more popular and doable but i highly doubt that investment to this is worth it. its basically can attack all monster while piling up its stat, which is a loop by it self...but in reality that starting 1000 is too weak...there no much extra cards that can add atleast a 1000 more to be a proper beater. and if you do running them its already taking out the consistencies of the deck that already invest 4 monster only to be castel'ed

Ruthless: holly molly its 4 mat 4. R4nk combo probably still more popular and doable but i highly doubt that investment to this is worth it. its basically can attack all monster while piling up its stat, which is a loop by it self...but in reality that starting 1000 is too weak...there no much extra cards that can add atleast a 1000 more to be a proper beater. and if you do running them its already taking out the consistencies of the deck that already invest 4 monster only to be castel'ed

The point of Ruthless was to force the player to invest more cards in order to make its incredibly destructive effect useful. Yes R4 is steep, especially when it ony has 1000 ATK. However, using Ruthless with a stat boosting spell or trap while the opponent has three monsters out is a huge hit. And inregards to Castel, what Xyz isn't a wasted investment with that frickin' thing around?

Seriously nothing wrong with Darksun though? this set just seems incomplete to me.

Darksun has some degeneracy, such as HERO Deck plays with Shadow Mist, not to mention it looks like it was tailor-made for Shaddoll plays or Burning Abyss assuming you can keep Fiendish Rhino Warrior out, but pretty much any good card will need to at least be part of some degeneracy play or other in order to be good.

By the way, I think with Ruthless Shadows you should make its extra attack effect be its Detach-requiring effect to bring it a bit lower.

In the end, I really really want to see you build an Archetype around these two - perhaps a focus on swarming with low-ATK Monsters so Ruthless Shadows could be viably used?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived