[Leaderboard] Season 15 Postseason (Match 1-1)

Flash Flyer - Sakura

General stuff

- First to 3 votes or whoever gets the most votes by 10:00 am HST on 12/26/2016 wins
- Voters must elaborate on their votes.

- If neither card is deemed sufficient, you may vote card C to indicate a draw.
- Participants or I reserve the right to nullify votes if reasoning is insufficient.

- I reserve the right to tie-break if this ends in a 0-0 or equal score.

- Winner moves on to round 2 and receives a rep from the opponent
- All voters will get reps for accepted votes.

Requirement

Make a card based on Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

----

Card A

rudo_the_guiding_light_by_bdsceptyr-dasr

Cannot be Summoned in the same battle position as a face-up monster you control (but can be Set.) During either player's turn, if a monster is Summoned to the field of its owner's opponent, while this card is in your hand: You can reveal this card; Special Summon it, and if you do, return all other Effect Monsters on the field that you own to the hand. Once per turn, if a player would take battle damage, you can Special Summon 2 "Reign Deer Tokens" (Beast-Type/LIGHT/Tuner/Level 1/500 ATK/500 DEF) instead. You can only control 1 "Rudo the Guiding Light".

Card B

Y0dSjQA.jpg

3 Level 4 monsters
If this card is Xyz Summoned: You can make this card's ATK becomes equal to the ATK of an opponent's monster until the end of this turn. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; this turn, this card can make a second and third attack on an opponent's monster. If this card would be destroyed by battle and sent to the Graveyard, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card instead.

-----

Good luck to both competitors and may the voting begin.

j3XCvlZ.png

Well, suppose a tie breaking is necessary here. Because of the theme, I'm going to critique this match (and the next one) in Rudolph's voice; not mine. (Yay for IC posts in Custom Cards)

photo-808290.jpg

(Because picture I used for Flash Star is here)

====

Card A

As a whole, you did well in incorporating the entire song that's based on me. First effect is admittedly...strange, in terms of application, least for me. As-is, it sets me up for a more defensive role, but if everyone else is doing it, then I can't. Second effect could have some use in Kaijus or something, or even bouncing back Santa Claws [as ironic as the source material is for him], given that you technically own the monster but then it goes to the opponent's field and will trigger my Special Summoning (and bouncing). Last effect seems fine here; protect yourself from taking battle damage and enabling you to make Double Tuning plays or something (with more investment than just this); or block the opponent from being masochistic (however often that happens).

The "only one" clause works, because really, I'm the only red-nosed reindeer around here.

Card B

OK, so you decided to take me to the dark side, did you? So let's see what we have.

First of all, this requires 3 Level 4s. I guess there's stuff like 'tellars, Raidraptor (if you want to Rise Falcon) and suppose HEROs, if they're inclined to, that can fill this card's summon requirements without issue. Then again, you can have me copy the strongest monster on my opponent's board, then proceed to let me wipe out multiple monsters with that added bonus. Or if I only care about self-preservation, I can just detach my materials in a way to Number 101.

I mean, I guess it reflects how I'll guide you to victory (although in a more twisted fashion), but other than that, not really seeing the rest of the flavor in here. It's basically an OTK enabler.

-----

What do we have here:

Card A: Incorporating the entire song into the card, plays around with Kaiju/Santa Claws (although it works better if you don't have monsters on your end) and works for team plays; not going out on his own. The Kaiju interactions are neat though, however often you can make me work with them (there's more too).

Card B: 3-mat R4 that leads to solo OTKs (or close to it thereof) and self-preservation. In practice, it works, but if you don't go in right away, I'm just a 20/15 that can only do so much. It is more direct in its usage than card A is.

------

I really don't want to vote against either of them (or rather, having a difficult time making a decision, because both of them excel over each other in particular areas). Card A is a bit more specific in its intended uses (well, at least its second effect), but otherwise, you can use it in any Deck that can afford to run it. B is basically adding to Rank 4 spam, but does its job well.

Voting card A for creativity on the effect (works well with flavor) and Double Tuning support that blocks damage certainly doesn't hurt for usability. Don't get me wrong, I did like B, but can't help but feel that its design goes against the grain of what I wanted to do.

====

That took longer than I had hoped, but yeah, we have a winner for round 1. It's probably obvious who did this one.

Archived