[Planning] [Request] Yu-Gi-Oh! Call of the Duel!

ChampionZero

Three students at the American LEO Institute of Dueling. Three exceptional duelists skilled in one of the three methods of Special Summoning: Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz. These three Duelists are chosen by the president of the LEO corporation, Declan Akaba, to investigate an event, one of such catastrophic consequence that it would affect not only the future of Dueling, but it would ripple into and change the past as well. These three duelists must do what they can to stop this event from occurring. However, a mysterious enemy by the name of Enigma refuses to allow their plans to fall into place.

Name: Cruz Cardell

Physical Description: Cruz is frickin' huge. The dude stands 6'6" and is built like a brick shithouse. He's got  He's got black hair that falls around his tanned face in sharp, pointed locks, and his eyes are a startling shade of violet. His chest is easily two feet across, and his waist is half that. His arms are always threatening to bust out of his uniform which, though worn carelessly, you won't see any staff upset about, since he's still following the dress code, just... not exactly the way they were intended to be followed.

Personality: Cruz is rough-and-tumble, down-to-earth, and a generally a straightforward guy. He's stubborn, vicious, and frequently angry at people. He takes a very head-on, reckless approach to all things, and has the strangest ability to power through even the best Stall Decks. He frequently refers to people who play defensively as "cowards" and "wimps" and people who overpower his monsters as "punks." There's no winning with Cruz.

Biography: TBD

Deck: Cruz uses a pair of archetypes called Hellspawn and Hellrune. It's a Synchro archetype that operates on a constant flow of destructive effects and an onslaught of attacks. His aces are "The boys," a trio of Hellspawn Dragons named Azrael, Thanatos, and Grim, in descending order of age. They have two evolved forms: level 9 and 10, named Dante and Marchosias respectively. Their Tuners, the Hellrune monsters, take cues from several others of the Synchro era. Hellspawn Synchros focus on battle and destruction effects. Hellrune Synchros are more support-based, buffing other monsters and negating effects.

Play Style: Cruz' deck is offensive. It's based on barraging the opponent, weakening their defense and pounding them into the dirt, along with recovering ASAP from essentially anything your opponent uses to stall you, or preventing counters and stalls entirely.

Misc. Information:

• Loves pizza.
  • Cruz likes metal, but only plays/listens to it if there's something awesome happening at the same time.
  • His style of Entertainment Dueling is "Action Movie"

Name: Jonah Wrightwood

Physical Description: Jonah is a small boy. He's a little over five feet tall, and has curly brown hair that is always messy, prompting people to say he looks like an anime protagonist. He's got bright green eyes that are always shining with excitement, and little black birthmarks all over the left half of his face. He's a marshmallow, in that he's small and squishy, but he's not out of shape. Just not in shape either.

Personality: Jonah's primary personality trait is peppiness, followed by an unyielding integrity and code of morals that he refuses to let go of. He's enthusiastic, friendly and helpful, but even he has his limits. In the face of serious issues, he can sometimes break down, lose hope, and even sink into a rut that can last for days. But with the help of frienemies like Cruz, he can always find a reason to get back up, dry the tears, and get right back into the action.

Deck: Stage Magicians: These stage wonders have very Performapal-esque effects, generally messing with your opponent and their cards for as long as possible until they can get their big beater in to smack you upside the head. Something about them seems incomplete though... (?) The archetype boss is "Big Hat," with the ability to replace one of your opponent's cards with a "White Rabbit," making most cards incredibly hard to keep on the field. All his monsters perform the attack "Finishing Act" when they deliver the final blow.

Play Style: Jonah is a performer, first and foremost. He makes a point of this by controlling the conditions he duels in at all times. or... tries to. His Magicians are not easy to swarm with, making his dependence on Spell and Trap cards VERY apparent. His favourite monsters are Big Hat and Stage Hand, for obvious reasons.

Misc. Information:

• Jonah's favorite foods are dry, salty things, like chips.
  • Jonah listens mostly to his favourite Rap-Rock band, "Utopia Fallen"
  • Jonah's style of Entertainment Dueling is "Magic Show"

Name: Emily Jaguara

Physical Description: Emily is a bit tall for a girl her age, around 5'6", and has wild blonde hair that she dyes in a psychadelic swirl. Her eyes are even different colors from day to day, and neither one matches the other. Green and red, blue and gold, brown and grey, etc. At school, her uniform consists of mismatched pieces every color of the rainbow, like she stole the uniform in bits and from a different person each time. She doesn't admit to this, so it's equally likely she just ordered the several uniforms in a variety of colors for the sake of standing out (p.s. it works) Outside of school, her clothes have the same rainbow color, only it's more like her hair, with a pattern like a tie-dyed shirt.

Personality: Emily is... Quirky. Between her odd sense of humor, Her ridiculous attempts at fashion, her ludicrous flirting and just overall oddball behavior, she's impossible to keep up with, and if you do, you'll have a massive headache by the time she takes a breath. She has a tendency to speak until she can't breath, take a huge breath, and then burst back into whatever she was saying. She'll also flirt with basically anyone and anything, though she's never really interested. She giggles at jumpscares, grammar mistakes, certain shades of blue, essentially anything that you don't laugh at, except for things people ACTUALLY find funny. Her color coordination is INCREDIBLY off, to the point of hilarity. If she is insane, at least she's harmless... right?

Deck: Knitwits are a bunch of knitted fiends of various kinds. All of them are indestructible in battle, meaning monster removal or effect negation is a must if you plan to beat her. When they fusion summon, they're either stitched together into unholy hybrids, or unraveled and rewoven into something entirely new. They have specific material names, despite some monsters not having any similarity to their materials except color. Emily's go-to is Knitwit Oni, combining Knitwits Ogre, Troll, and Orc into a nice, heavy beatstick that can't be destroyed by any means, meaning you gotta negate her effect, banish her, shuffle her, or just lock her down.

Play Style: Emily likes to wall off her opponent's attacks until her she can gather the materials for her Fusions. She mostly uses Spell and Trap cards to help recover health, keep up hand advantage, etc. Counter Traps to mess with her opponent's backrow are frequent, including Counter Trap Support.

Misc. Information:

• "I like Cheesecake!"
  • "Ooh, ooh! EDM! I'm the only person who can dance to them!"
  • "My Entertainment style is Comedy!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

surewhynot.jpg

Name: Julia Hollandaise

Age: Eh, whatever fits for a school kid. If it's a high school analogue, as young as you can possibly make them without having them be a prodigy. Like, she would be a 13 y/o freshman if this was high school.

Physical Description: What she lacks in stature and kindness, she more than makes up for with her big fat mouth. She's very rude, very short, very curt, and often looks down on other people. She can often be seen wearing gaudy jewelry, has her long blonde hair generally braided in an elaborate fashion, or styled, or in some kind of way other than just straight flat. She wears a lot of make up and fake press on nails and though she'd like to wear heels she can't quite balance on them right. If LEO Institute of Dueling does not have a dress code, she typically wears ridiculous princess-style ball gowns. If there's a lax, GX style dress code, she wears whatever looks close enough to the academy uniform, but is also still in the style of a ridiculous ball gown. If they're super strict on uniforms, she wears the damn uniform but complains all the time about thread count and mixed wools and stuff.

Personality: She's got a very rude, spoiled, holier-than-thou vibe to her. She often looks down on others and often brags about how much better, smarter, richer, more beautiful etc etc she is than other people. Money is often something she flaunts, with comments like "One hour at my hair salon costs more than your entire family's combined salary!" and this would probably be true. On the surface she seems like a mean spirited jabroni, but I assume deep down inside she just wants to be liked and admired. Some people have a good sense of humor. Others have an award winning personality. She has no real personality or anything of substance behind her. All she has is her money. She's not evil, she's kinda just a harmless idiot.

Biography: Julia's father was born the 5th son of a huge family in some nowhere land, to a country that probably doesn't exist anymore. To say he grew up poor was a huge understatement. His family worked long days, doing whatever random odd jobs and whatever work there needed to be done just to make ends meet, even at a young age. Chimeny sweeper, garbage collector, snow shoveler, whatever was paying money was fine for the Hollandaise family.

One day Mr Hollandaise met a beautiful woman, and they fell in love, got married, and she was soon with child. Mr Hollandaise wanted better for his future daughter, so rather then being born out in the country he decided to pool together all the money had had to take his wife to an actual hospital.

Along the way, he was pointed at, laughed at, jeered at by the city slickers for being nothing but a country bumpkin. They mocked him, insulted him and his wife, quite openly, and some lowlife punks actually beat him and robbed his shoes. He was eventually able to make it to the hospital with his wife and let their daughter be born.

Outside the hospital he happened to come across what he thought was an automated coffee machine. It was actually a lottery machine. He spent his last remaining dollar on a Quick Pick ticket and, wouldn't-ya-know-it, he matched all the numbers in a blind stroke of fate.

He promised his newly born daughter, his brothers, sisters, mom, dad, and his wife that he would give them anything they ever wanted. His brothers and sisters appreciated the offer, but they were happy and content out in the countryside. Nevertheless, Mr Hollandaise wanted only the best for his daughter, so he bought a nice mansion in the big city and settled down with his wife and daughter.

He made a few wise investments, and his money just grew and grew ever since...

... And that's the world that Julia was born into. She had a father who spoiled her rotten and who would give her anything she asked for. Her fathers family however, continued to live out in the country. As Julia grew older, anytime her extended family came to visit she would become embarrassed and ashamed of them. Inbred hicks from the country coming over to the fancy side of town. It was practically a travesty! Julia wanted to elevate herself from that, to become better than just the daughter of a poor dirt farmer. She wants to be prettiest, smartest, etc etc in the entire world, and to hell with anyone who says otherwise!

Deck: Not sure. Either Crystal Beasts or Gem Knights.

Play Style: She's probably not a very good duelist. She probably plays aggressively and can be easily baited, tricked, and manipulated into misplaying or making an error.

surewhynot.jpg

Age: Eh, whatever fits for a school kid. If it's a high school analogue, as young as you can possibly make them without having them be a prodigy. Like, she would be a 13 y/o freshman if this was high school.

She has no real personality or anything of substance behind her. 

Deck: Not sure. Either Crystal Beasts or Gem Knights.

Play Style: She's probably not a very good duelist. She probably plays aggressively and can be easily baited, tricked, and manipulated into misplaying or making an error.

These bother me.

You don't seem invested in making this character: You don't care what age she is, what deck she uses, how she duels, you LITERALLY DIDN'T GIVE HER A PERSONALITY, and you look like you're doing this because you've got nothing better to do. If you're not invested in the character or the story she'd be a part of, How am I supposed to be? You didn't include any miscellaneous information at all. These characters aren't supposed to be throwaways, and I can't work with a character who doesn't have -- well, CHARACTER.

It's ultimately YOUR story. If you start letting your readers dictate how you write you're gonna have a bad time.

Though if you insist...

Age: I didn't know what the LEO Academy was supposed to be. A High School? A college? What's the youngest a student can be? I think it's most comical for her to be as young as logically possible, yet I didn't want her to be a prodigy because I didn't actually want her to be good at anything. She's rich and a stuck up twat... that's it. And it was funny to me in a "Napoleon Complex" type of way that she acts like a brat to kids who could probably break her in half. That she was so delusional and unselfaware she'd not realize how everyone hated her.

Personality: Read between the lines man. She's dripping with personality. It's not interesting to say: "She secretly wants friends but just doesn't know how to get them because she's always been handed everything to her that now when she tries to put effort into anything and sees it not doing anything she gets reclusive and dark and mean and jabroniy which leads her to have a stunted growth yet she has the potential for change but is unsure if she wants to take it."

Deck and Play Style: Dueling is BY FAR the least important part of any character.

You did get one thing right though. I don't feel much invested in the story because you gave me nothing to work with. It's just "an academy". I can't work with a story that doesn't have... any story.

If it bothers you so much, feel free to ignore my posts, including this one. I won't put any additional effort in it nor will I answer any additional questions. Good luck making this though. If after two months of planning (since you posted the first post in December) all you have is still 3 "characters" (if you can call them that) and you're already struggling to come up with six decent side characters, I shutter to think what the rest of the story is going to look like.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived