RP Smash [OOC/Conditional Acceptance/PG-16]

Oh that's fine, I can understand not wanting overlapping characters. In my excitement to join, I forgot to check what the other players brought to the table. In fact, I have found another one of characters that I believe would fill a role not yet filled by the others: a big brutish warrior with a big axe. Here's a different character, which I got from this RP:

[spoiler=Hroki Windfall]

Name: Hroki Windfall

Age & Sex: 31, Male

Personality: Driven and unwavering in his pursuit of justice, he is an intimidating man to be around. His voice has a natural booming quality to it and commands respect even from the lowliest of thieves. He is a rather simple man, not appreciative of anything he deems impractical, which includes arts, science and philosophy. He can be very bigoted at times, especially when the person arguing against him is someone who he deems weak, often calling them "milk-drinkers." However, he does have compassion for all people. By principle, he will not strike an opponent when they are downed or are unable to fight any longer. His honor code is enforced by him at all times and expects everyone around him to know and honor it. However, despite these short comings, he is a man of character and enjoys reveling with his comrades, especially when mead is involved. Those who fight alongside him are sure to be invited to sing and tell tales of their battles over a pint of drink.

Appearance: 6' 4", pale skinned, heavy and muscular frame. His blonde hair comes down from his head in messy plaits, matching his short beard. His blue eyes are small, but show a fierceness that would scare off an angry bear. He has many scars all over his body from battles past, and Hroki is quite proud of them, willing to tell tales about how he received each one. One rarely sees him wearing anything but his battle armor. His armor is rather light, mostly consisting of studded leather, with a thin steel breastplate that is so heavily damaged it looks wholly unable to protect him. His steel helmet is a medium helm, covering most of his head but leaving most of his face open. The center piece of his silhouette would be his imposing battleaxe. Standing almost as tall as he, the axe is very heavy and unwieldy for anyone who has not trained with two handed weapons, and even then it is still heavier than most battleaxes. It has only one cutting edge, but the blade is wide and always kept sharp enough to hack through the toughest armor. Hroki wields his axe effortlessly in battle, often being used in wide, sweeping attacks or in furious blitzes where Hroki swings it faster than anyone would expect such a heavy weapon to be able to.

Background: Raised by a military man and a farmer, Hroki was always a rough and tumble kid. He would always be the first of the neighbourhood boys to start fights with sticks. As soon as he was of age, he left his parents to join the army. He proved to be an unruly soldier, often breaking rank to take the fight to the enemy. Whatever qualms his superiors had with his insubordination were made up with his vigor in battle. His face was feared by many enemies of the Empire, but due to his superiors' lack of control over him, he was only promoted up to sergeant. When the chaos theory occurred, Hroki quickly found himself a target for execution and was nearly captured many times. However, through pure determination and strength, he fought countless mercenaries and bounty hunters and managed to find some peace in the hamlet of Hrang. There, with little money to his name, he became a mercenary, killing or roughing up shop owners to get enough money for his axe and his mead. He knows little of the Cube or what cause the crisis, and he cares little about it. As long as he can fight good fights, drink good mead and sing with his brothers, he cares little of what happens.

Power: His power manifests in a visible ice blue aura that radiates from his body when he is in battle. The more damage he inflicts and receives, the stronger the aura becomes. Anyone within his aura will be filled with a will to fight, both friend and foe, giving them increased strength and damage resistance. Although he rarely notices himself doing this, he can focus his aura to different parts of his body and his weapon to make his blocks tougher and his blows heavier. He can also focus his aura into shout of pure fury. This shout can stagger and even knock off the balance of even the sturdiest of foes and inspires fear and cowardice in his enemies. However, the stronger the aura is present in his battles, the more stamina it takes out of him. He doesn't feel the effects until after the battle and are usually combatted with copious amounts of food and drink.

Side: Cube

I'd imagine having a brutish, masculine and simple character making an interesting foil to all the feminine and animeish characters already in the roster. Also, since he is from a more traditionally fantasy/D&D setting, we could play off the differing tropes between Eastern and Western storytelling. Let me know what you think.

I don't mind waiting. All of the other RPs are already full and not accepting under any circumstances, so either way I have to wait.

The only things that concern me about it are some awkward wording/grammar and

We'd have to figure out how the aura would work in this RP since it probably will need edits.

But I can say that I will be putting him on the reserve at least.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can easily reword stuff to bring it up to snuff, as well as modify anything you feel needs to be changed to fit the setting. I just kept it in it's original state as that's what the rules said to do. I can definitely see places where I can improve, especially his personality. My image of Hroki likely changed halfway through making the application!

I imagined his powers acting a lot like how Lucario's does in Smash, where the more he gets hit, the harder he hits. The differences are in the specials, which would be mostly used to get within striking distance and stagger foes, and the aura protecting himself and his allies.

I can easily reword stuff to bring it up to snuff, as well as modify anything you feel needs to be changed to fit the setting. I just kept it in it's original state as that's what the rules said to do. I can definitely see places where I can improve, especially his personality. My image of Hroki likely changed halfway through making the application!

I imagined his powers acting a lot like how Lucario's does in Smash, where the more he gets hit, the harder he hits. The differences are in the specials, which would be mostly used to get within striking distance and stagger foes, and the aura protecting himself and his allies.

Thing with luc is the damage scales up. In this there's a set hp that once you reach 0 you're out. So we'd need to figure out when and how much the increase happens and is.

Here's the edited version of my application. I fixed his personality to be more in line of how I see him today, added descriptions of his main weapon, as well as quantifying most of his abilities.

[spoiler=Hroki Windfall V2]

Name: Hroki Windfall

Age & Sex: 31, Male

Personality: Brutish and simple, Hroki is an intimidating man to be around. His voice has a natural booming quality to it and commands respect and fear even from the lowliest of thieves. He is a man of action, holding little value in anything he deems impractical, which includes but not limited to arts, science and philosophy. In fact, he holds little respect for anyone he considers a “milk-drinker”, which is anyone who dedicates themselves to anything he has already decided was not practical. However, he does hold doctors in high regard, as he often needs to seek their help of the many injuries he sustains.
Whoever does earn Hroki's respect seems him in a very different light. By principle, he will not strike an opponent when they are downed or are unable to fight any longer. In fact, if his opponent is downed in combat, he is more likely to help them up, laughing about the good fight. His code of fair combat and fair dealings is enforced by him at all times and expects everyone around him to know and honor it. He greatly enjoys wild revelry and drinking, being able to drink more mead in one sitting than most men can drink in several days. Anyone who he considers worthy should expect to invited to drink, feast and share tales of battle at his side.

Appearance: 6' 4", pale skinned, heavy and muscular frame. His blonde hair comes down from his head in messy plaits, matching his short beard. His blue eyes are small, but show a fierceness that would scare off an angry bear. He has many scars all over his body from battles past, and Hroki is quite proud of them, willing to tell tales about how he received each one.
One rarely sees him wearing anything but his battle armor. His armor is rather light, mostly consisting of a heavy cotton tunic, a fur kilt and a steel breastplate that is so heavily damaged it looks wholly unable to protect him. His steel helmet is a medium helm, covering most of his head but leaving most of his face open.
The centerpiece of his silhouette would be his imposing greataxe, which he calls Jormungandr. Standing almost as tall as he, the axe is very heavy and unwieldy for anyone who has not trained with two handed weapons, and even then it is still heavier than most two-handed axes. It has one massive cutting edge and is expertly crafted to be tough enough to hack through full plate armor while retaining its edge. The haft is no less expertly crafted, being made of solid ash with strips of steel reinforcing it against slashes. The blade features deep engravings of a great serpent, coiling and twisting around the blade. During battle, these engravings catch and hold blood, gruesomely highlighting them. Hroki wields his axe effortlessly in battle, often being used in wide, sweeping attacks and in wild charges that break bones and spirits alike.

Background: Raised by a military man and a farmer, Hroki was always a rough and tumble child. He would always be the first of the neighbourhood boys to start fights with sticks. As soon as he was of age, he left his parents to join the army. He proved to be an unruly soldier, often breaking rank to take the fight to the enemy. Whatever qualms his superiors had with his insubordination were made up with his vigor in battle. His face was feared by many enemies of the Empire, but due to his superiors' lack of control over him, he was only promoted up to sergeant despite his many feats of martial prowess.
When the chaos theory occurred, Hroki quickly found himself a target for execution and was nearly captured many times. However, through pure determination and great strength, he fought countless mercenaries and bounty hunters and managed to find some peace in the hamlet of Hrang. There, with little money to his name, he became a mercenary, killing or roughing up shop owners to get enough money for his axe and his mead. He knows little of the Cube or what caused the crisis, and he does not care to know more. As long as he can fight good fights, drink good mead and sing with his brothers, he cares little of what happens.

Power: Hroki’s power manifests in a visible ice blue aura that radiates from his body when he is in battle, which he initiates with his powerful and distinct battlecry “Death or Glory!”. The more damage he receives, the stronger the aura becomes. His aura manifests in multiple ways, getting more pronounced as he reached his physical limits. (Effects increase at 75%, 50% and 25% health)

- Hroki and anyone within 10 ft. of him is filled with the will to fight. Initially, this only manifests as a slight urge to prove oneself in melee combat, but as Hroki gets more injured, those affected are able to push past wounds and steel their wills against mind affecting magic.
- Initial: Hroki and those affected are filled with the will to fight in melee, minor resistance to mind-affecting magic that would make them avoid the fight in melee.
- 75%: Radius expands to 30 ft.
- 50%: Hroki and those affected no longer feel pain from any non-lethal wound.
- 25%: Hroki and those affected become heavily resistant to mind-affecting magic that would make them stop fighting.

- Hroki unconsciously focuses his aura to empower his strikes and increase his defense. Initially this, manifests as increasing the speed of his swings and toughening his skin against minor cuts and bruises. As he gets more injured, his swings begin to carry more weight and his skin keeps hardening, eventually becoming resistant as steel.
- Initial: Hroki’s strikes are faster than a peak human’s ability, his skin is resistance to minor cuts and bruises, ignoring damage from small flying debris and glancing strikes.
- 75%: Hroki’s skin becomes resistant to cuts and bruises from direct strikes from most melee weapons.
- 50%: Hroki’s strikes become powerful enough to cleave right through wooden shields and can heavily damage stone and steel.
- 25%: Hroki’s body becomes resistant to all forms of physical damage.

- Hroki’s physical power also increases while his aura is active. Initially, he can run as fast as a horse and jump up a two-storey building in a single bound, but at the peak of his rage, he can outpace all but swiftest opponents and can jump high enough to prove a threat to airborne foes.

- Hroki is always a loud combatant, emphasizing each strike with a mighty roar, but while using his aura, his shouts also have physical impact on his opponents. When Hroki uses one of his battlecries, his opponents can be thrown off balance and even knocked prone as if blown by a sudden gust of wind. As Hroki gets more injures, his shouts throw his opponents away and even pull them within his reach.
- Initial: Hroki’s battlecry can stagger or knock prone opponents in a 15 ft. cone in front of him.
- 75%: Hroki’s battlecry also pushes opponents up to 15 ft. away.
- 50%: Hroki’s battlecry increases effective area to a 30 ft. cone.
- 25%: Hroki’s battlecry can draw in opponents instead of pushing his opponents at his option.

This power is not without cost. While injured, Hroki still bleeds as any man. If crippled before entering deeper in his rage, he will still bear those injuries through the fight. Additionally, Hroki is not a very tactical combatant, preferring to overwhelm his opponents in melee combat and has trouble with opponents that are capable of staying out of his reach. When faced with opponents out of his reach, he will often resort to crude methods, such as throwing objects or charging at his opponents in an attempt to grapple them before they can escape.

EDIT: Edited to remove strong mind-affecting aura.

I see how that could be an issue. I was thinking in D&D terms, where characters have something called "saving throws" which represent their character's ability to resist harmful effects such as mind control. Since Hroki is an entirely melee character with no recourse against characters who can stay out of reach, I thought that this may be a solution that is mostly true to my original vision for the character.

This is not to say that I intended this ability to be an attempt to control other characters. At first it would only be an inkling that most characters can be easily ignored, but may manifest as overconfidence later as the effects become more pronounced. Characters who rely entirely on the ranged abilities would not lose their rational thought and would stay away, but characters who could mix it up in melee might feel more inclined to do so. Personally, it might be interesting to see what kind of mental gymnastics a character does to resist the effect.

I can understand if you feel this ability would be too much trouble. I could change it as the ability to throw his axe like a boomerang, but since this character is not obviously magical, I'd rather find a more down-to-earth answer to ranged combatants.

Ah, if the ranged characters aren't causing so many issues for pure melee characters, I should be fine to remove the mind affecting aura. I will edit to reflect this.

EDIT: I have edited it. I kept the urge to fight in melee, but it does not go further than that. I replaced the strong mind effect with making everyone affected being able to ignore wounds. Also note that Hroki's aura applies the benefits to his opponents as well, as he wants to fight his opponents at their best.

Excellent!

...battles in the Arena do not cause any severe pain nor does it cause injury.

So I'm guess the violence is made PG with indefinable damage like Smash or Playstation All-Stars does, where even "blood and guts" characters like Kratos just impact enemies with their weapons instead of embedding them in their large intestine? Are characters used to gore see this as unusual or is it just something accepted without question like the fancy watches?

Excellent!

So I'm guess the violence is made PG with indefinable damage like Smash or Playstation All-Stars does, where even "blood and guts" characters like Kratos just impact enemies with their weapons instead of embedding them in their large intestine? Are characters used to gore see this as unusual or is it just something accepted without question like the fancy watches?

It's up to the individual

• 2 weeks later...

Archived