[Sakura] Lycanroc the Sun Wolf

Flash Flyer - Sakura

flvM7s8.jpg

V1 (Stun negation)

Rank 4 | EARTH | Rock | Xyz | Effect

2200/1500

2 Level 4 monsters
① This card can attack your opponent directly, but any damage it inflicts by this effect is halved. ② Once per turn, during either player's turn, if monsters are Summoned to your opponent's field: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; those monsters lose ATK and DEF equal to their Level/Rank x 100, also their effects are negated until the end of this turn.

V2 (Attacking during opponent's BP / Steadfast-esque)

Rank 4 | EARTH | Rock | Xyz | Effect

2200/1500

2 Level 4 monsters
You can use each of this card's effects once per turn. ① During your opponent's Main Phase or Battle Phase: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; immediately after this effect resolves, declare an attack with this monster. (This is a Quick Effect. The battle is conducted normally). ② Once per turn, if a card you control has its effect negated: You can have this card gain an additional attack during each Battle Phase this turn.

====

EDIT LOG

- 12/31/16: Modified the original version to just negate (similarly to 106); also a second version using Darj's recommendations

====

(This will probably be my final card of 2016 [depending if I'm not working on other small projects], but yeah)

Probably obvious by now, but another Pokemon themed card. To be fair though, I've grown rather fond of Lycanroc in-game as a team member (at least the Midday one b/c I'm a Sun player); design is cool, but options are rather limited (even with its nice stats).

First effect is supposed to reference Accelerock/Sucker Punch (priority moves), hence why it can direct attack. Second effect is more/less based on Stealth Rock (and I guess Rock Slide to an extent), basically weaken the opponent when they come in and bar their effects from working on their summoning turn (supposed to deal with monsters that like to trigger on summoning). I would've preferred to do something else besides having this be stun, but I'm not given too many options (least ones that don't make this outclassed by other common Rank 4s).

ATK was originally 2400, but I lowered it after considering its direct attack effect and the stun thing. Otherwise, I based this card's stats on Lycanroc's actual in-game stats (well, multiplied by 15-20, roughly)

Right, and it's another Rock Xyz for the card pool (keeps Emeral/Caingorgon company, I guess)

====

IMG Credit: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/14/e2/64/14e2646bc716f24923b1b29199162995.png

====

You guys know what to do at this point.

Reps given for proper reviews.

To reflect the priority move, it should be able to attack during the opponent's Battle Phase instead, if not during his/her Main Phase 1. Now that would be an interesting and useful effect. The second effect, I don't think it actually does what it is intended to so, since any affect triggered when the monster is Summoned will chain with Lycanroc's effect, and thus was already activated before Lycanroc's effect resolves. You may have to outright negate the effect of the monster instead, in the same fashion as "Void Trap Hole", but then you may be close to outclassing Rank4s like Giant Hand. Surely there should be other options for Lycanroc besides stun, maybe work with any of its abilities, Swords Dance, Sandstorm or Stone Edge?

I don't think our mechanics would permit attacking during the opponent's turn, but a work-around would be to permit you to choose a monster that the opponent has, and then force it to battle with this during their turn. (I know I mentioned this to Egmodeus a couple days ago with his card)

I could just re-route its detach effect to just blow up the monster it battles, which would reflect Stone Edge (well, higher crit chance is lower than just an instant kill, but what can you do?). Swords Dance (stat boosting) could work though, and that would hurt a bit coupled with its first effect. Not sure how to do Sand Rush though; it doubles speed in Sand, so probably twin attacks if you have another EARTH monster out (that would probably limit this to Zoodiacs and whatever other R4 EARTH decks I may have overlooked right now). Keen Eye isn't that great though.

As for the original effect (right now), negation may be an option instead of that (probably something like Breakthrough Skill or something), if the effect lock doesn't work. Yeah, 106 technically does the same thing for 2 detaches (permanent negation and can't change position); this would just shut them off for a turn and weaken them a bit (but would be 1 detach less). I'll probably go with this one [just make it negate for the turn], but will need to look it over.

(Then again, Midnight isn't exactly given much options either given its own gimmick)

----

Would like this to be worth a Rank 4 slot b/c yeah, the pool is filled as heck and certain staple ones aren't really helping.

Still, you can make it work. There may not be precedence but that doesn't mean we can't try to come up with unique effects. I think I suggested something similar before, and my take was to make it an effect that allows the monster to battle, in a similar way to Formula Synchron and yang Zing effects that let you Synchro Summon after the effect resolves.

It could be something like this:

Once per turn, during your opponent's Main Phase or Battle Phase, you can: Immediately after this effect resolves, declare an attack with this monster (this is a Quick Effect. The battle is conducted normally).

Also, I was thinking that you could work with is Steadfast ability in some way; it could gain a boost or do something when the attack and/or effect of a monster you control is negated, although it would only discourage the opponent from using such effects most of the time.

I temporarily forgot that it has Steadfast (probably b/c only ones I have in box are the standard ability ones), but will have to see what can be done for that. Forcing mind games for the opponent would be nice though, but yeah. 

As for the other one (Formula Synchron-esque thing for attacking on the opponent's turn), could work. For all we know, next generation could introduce something like that, and then we'd certainly get a more solid base to do stuff with. I know the anime did it once (from what I remember), but that's just it. 

Detach effect is definitely getting changed. 

----

Keeping your suggestions in mind though, but still thinking of how I want to make it functional among the R4 pool, but still keep it fair enough. (I originally wanted to make this a Level 6 Synchro [or regular effect monster] with the same effect and its intended ATK; probably voted against that to fall in line with some of the older stuff I made in the past (and make sure that it can be used efficiently). 

(If I edit this, the new effects/stuff will be underneath, because it'll be a pain to modify the pic every time I update.)

Well, the fast-attack effect would make it worthy in the competitive environment IMO; it's akin to a Rafflesia in that it can remove monsters before the opponent uses them for Summons and other plays, but it wouldn't take deck space for the Trap Holes has Rafflesia does, plus it would have stats for offense instead of defense. But, I think you would have to turn the quick attack into the detach effect, and the Steadfast/stun into a regular OPT Quick effect. Also, I was thinking you could make the Steadfast effect apply on your own attack/effect negations too (e.g. regular Utopia) so you can be more proactive with it.

Hello, everyhting that Giant Hand SHOULD HAVE BEEN, how're you doing. Want me to pet you? I know you want me to-

(phone goes off) 

-wait sorry, let me check the Palmpilot. BlaDeS of Change business. (Answers phone.) Yes who is this-

[spoiler=Response on the other line, essentially]giphy.gif

OKAY NO NEED TO BE RUDE THERE ARE KIDS WATCHING, To the card then. 

1100 minimum on a direct attack okay, especially since Lycanroc direct assault is not built on some other-attack-preventin' hinge, like the other R4NK 4 direct attackers (Heartlandraco and Iron Wolf). So that's 1100 people get to look forward to a turn if they don't answBWAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah couldn't even TYPE that with any sort of a straight face. This is not a disqualifier though, and any protection that would be slapped on a Rank 4 monster such as this would be circumvented in short order (if balanced) or get this card a trip to Banhammer Boulevard (if not.) 

The real money in this card? Is that it's a generic walking Skill Drain/Burden of the Mighty for your opponent. THAT'S what'll make this a staple. And I understand wanting to be as broad as possible to be as beneficial as possible, and since we've originally used R4NK to pipeline into higher and lower annoyances (Tellarknight Tolemeus to Infinity, Bahamut Shark to Toadall The Toad Which Shall Not Be Named), this straight up works well on its own footing and has enough ATK to ensure the big threats have an atom-thick window to strike at it. 

This, unfortunately, is also where the main problem is with Lycanroc is when it comes to the game it's going to impact...what is it? Balance? (for a format where an invincible 3500 ATK beat-stick that stat drains, burns, and comes back with the 2 cards you can use to summon it somehow doesn't make Raid Raptors top tier?) The pacing? (when Drop1/4OfYourDecktoPotofGreed.png is a 3-at-minimum card in the OCG?) The already paper-thin focus on strategy in the game (with Tribute Over All The Things, The Archetype still sucking oxygen?)  

[spoiler=Rant on Why Lycanroc (and the Current Meta) Is Cool, But Tragic]

I mean, every time I think of something that Mr. Xyz Wonderpup over here will do to ensure the format's more unbearable that it is has come and gone. I mean, they had to errata Giant Hand (which I originally ragged on) from having this sort of negation during the opponent's turn out of balance back then! As it is though, you're gonna need to have Lycanroc's type of disruption to keep the format in check, and even then it's not guaranteed to work.

But really, since Stardust Dragon debuted and we started fully entertained the thought the monsters doing what a player's Traps were so often nuked/bouced/whatevered before they could do it, this path was inevitable. Floodgates were the Trap's duty because making it the duty of a Deck your original Deck is dedicated to pumping out at an increasing clip would render them obsolete. And that's my main problem with...well really, the monsters of floodgating past that this card's here to try and corral (get it?).

It's effectively ruining the pacing of an otherwise interesting and ever-original game. Lycanroc here-a card that could well bring the format back into check by knocking out the worst combos of our monster-intensive times-will likely end up being used by those it's supposed to counteract, like most of the easy-access negation monsters we've got these days.

It's making destruction-which was once a tried-and-true method of removal and the things that kept floodgates good but not end-all, into its own engine (with everthing now either bouncing from the Graveyard or floating on destruction, requiring more exotic versions of removal that the lesser, but more relaxed/less boilerplate decks just can't contend against except by resorting to bad play themselves with Card of Demise (note I said bad, not failed or ineffective. It WORKS, but it requires to do something you should not do, and its effective throw your hand away, resorting yourself to luck instead of skill to keep your field intact.) 

And worst of all, it demands monsters work in an ever-increasing series of protections just to bear against all these cheap ways to play over instead of against your opponent, Kaijus the most guilty of all in that cheapness statistic.All this leads into is a collection of immune to everything but Kaiju bosses that are either too resource intensive to play, making them wastes of cardboard, or so easy to bring out, they become part of the meta they're made to protect against. And that's what Lycanroc's coming into, and it;s a damn shame that this is necessary, BUT IT IS. Everything needs to be both this and Archetype or Type specific for fun decks to have a spot in the limelight again. Doubt we'll live to see it though, and I'm only TWO YEARS OLDER THAN YOU.

But really, Lycanroc's a hamper to bosses everywhere-'cept for ABC, but nothing's and nobody's perfect-and I love it for that alone. Wondrous card, Sakura. And happy new 2017.

Yeah, Rank 4 is already crowded to no end, and anything that goes here will have to either be able to contend with the current metagame or fall into obscurity. (* glares at Number 39 and subsequent evolution, among other stuff, for stealing spotlight *)

I'll probably keep the version I have now, except change the effect to just flat out negate for the turn as opposed to just stop them from triggering (will outclass 106 to an extent, however that isn't seeing play), but also do a version with Darj's idea.

(I'm on my Chromebook typing this, so no access to my desktop with TCGEditor/stuff on it; would help if the cardmaker was fixed so I could update it faster, but what can we do about it? I should have it up before the end of the day on my end though [it's close to quarter to 6 on my end, New Year's Eve])

---

Think reason for the original effect was to deal with bosses from the ED (probably S39 and some other stuff that have delayed activation; not like Triverr or something), even though Main Deck triggers certainly exist, but yeah. In a way, I more/less wanted this to be able to keep large bosses in check (or least block the combos that would go into them for a while) and finding a niche for this to fill in the crowded pool was definitely something I had in consideration. 

---

(Right, and happy 2017 for you as well [and everyone else who's reading this now])

AFAIK Giant Hand still sees some play, although it is certainly not among the top generic Rank4s to pick; but I think it is too soon to consider it out-powercreeped to make cards that practically outclass it, such as the negating effect of this one.

And as additional comment to sell my idea, the "priority effect" can allow you to deal with the would-be materials for those Extra Deck bosses like Utopia Lighting that you want to deal with.

P.D. Happy New Year 2017 to you, too.

Posting again because I got more ideas for the V2 of Lycanroc.

Since there are a couple of Traps that let you conduct a battle as part of the effect, it may actually not be necessary to use the Formula Synchron wording after all. Also, I think the other effect should be better: a mere double attack after a negation is lackluster. I was thinking that in addition to the double attack, you could make the effect chainable to an effect that would negate a card/effect, and make Lycanroc unaffected by your opponent's effects as well, becoming itself undeniable by that same effect if it would be affected by it (except Counter Traps, of course).

You can only use each effect of "Lycanroc the Sun Wolf" once per turn. ① During your opponent's Main Phase or Battle Phase: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; conduct battle between this monster and a monster your opponent controls. (This is a Quick Effect. The battle is conducted normally). ② During either player's turn, if a card or effect would be negated: You can activate this effect; this card is unaffected by your opponent's card effects until the end of this turn, also it can make a second attack during your next Battle Phase.

Yeah, effect immunity would do it some good in addition to the secondary attack. Can add that in, as well as removing the Formula Synchron thing. (Going to check on more recent stuff if we still need that, but chances are that we won't).

I technically have V2's effects as soft OPT (putting the limiters in front to alleviate having to write "once per turn" more than needed); granted, it does mean that you'll get two speed attackers at once, but nowadays I don't think you should be keeping more than one of these out.

Archived