Cyber Dragon Nova [2100 Post Milestone]

LIGHT/Rank 5/Machine/Xyz/Effect - 2100/1600

2 Level 5 Machine-Type monsters

Once per turn, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card to target 1 "Cyber Dragon" in your Graveyard: Special Summon that target. During either player's turn, you can banish 1 "Cyber Dragon" from your hand or face-up in your Monster Zone: This monster gains 2100 ATK until the end of this turn. If this card in your possession is sent to the Graveyard by your opponent's card effect: You can Special Summon 1 Machine-Type Fusion monster from your Extra Deck.

Let's discuss a card that became a stepladder because Konami doesn't know how to function properly.

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame what Konami did to CyDra Nova, but I guess when/if Infinity gets the axe, this will get the chance to shine again. And, well, I guess Nova still has an use in Cyber Dragon decks by summoning an original CyDra before Xyz-evolving, or to finish a game with its effect.

It's a good card, easy to summon, good beatstick at 4200, and it floats. The only problem, is as was mentioned, it's only purpose is as a ladder into Infinity. This reminds me of laddering in Dragunity where you would summon Vajrayana only to ladder into a Level 8 Synchro. The only difference between the two is that laddering from Nova --> CDI is much more narrow, so fewer decks can take advantage of this, but those that do take advantage of CDI are already insanely strong to begin with, so they don't really even need this extra boost in power.

It's especially unfortunate that a card that was pretty good (in fact, it was a horrifyingly effective way to drop a Barbaroid on your opponent out of nowhere if they were reliant on destruction removal) has been just about forgotten except as a way for Decks that run Level 5 Machines to access Quasar's little brother.

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame what Konami did to CyDra Nova, but I guess when/if Infinity gets the axe, this will get the chance to shine again. And, well, I guess Nova still has an use in Cyber Dragon decks by summoning an original CyDra before Xyz-evolving, or to finish a game with its effect.

Gonna call Infinity prob not gonna hit anytime soon, if ever TBH

Also to be fair, Cyber Nova shines now in the same capacity it would even if Infinity were hit. Since it's significantly less generically useful its non-Cyber usage is basically tied to Infinity, so anything it does in Cybers is basically all the things it does on its own already.

I agree. Hence my "when/if" in my statement xD

It may not ever be hit at all. And yeah, I understand that Nova remains just as useful, or that in fact it sees more play because of Infinity, but still, I meant "not shining" in the sense that nowadays when one thinks of Nova, immediately Infinity comes to mind; I guess it's more accurate to say that Nova is overshadowed by Infinity.

Archived