Project <Genome> [OOC/No Longer Accepting/PG-16]

szufIz4.png

A Parenthetical Production - co-hosted by Yui.

edPNZAB.png

For reasons not completely clear, a variant in the human genome appeared in the year 2011. It was quite rare, appearing in somewhere in the ballpark of 1 in 73,000 babies born. That said, given the truly massive number of children born in a day, this allowed there to be a reasonable number of individuals with this genetic condition. This mutation appeared at this steady pace for a little over 4 years, before abruptly stopping, just as mysteriously as it appeared. Basic calculations show that somewhere in the ballpark of 7600 individuals were affected. Of course, 'affected' is a relative term, as the mutation seemed to have no effect on the biology of those who tested positive.

This changed on March 27th, in the year 2028. A large solar flare, likely the largest in recorded human history, bombarded the Earth. Technology was affected as one would expect, disabling worldwide communication for nearly a week, but the truly interesting impact the flare had was on those 7200 or so remaining children, who had now collective reached their teenage years. Within and hour of the solar flare impacting the Earth, the vast majority if not all of them had slipped into comas. Their outer tissues hardened into carapace-like structures, concealing them in literal shells of their own skin. After an amount of time ranging from 7 hours for some, to 13 days in the most extreme examples, they each emerged from their pupal shelters, having undergone a previously unimaginable form of metamorphosis.

Their physical appearance had changed, with some acquiring small features such as additional eyelids, or strangely formed irises or other small features, with others hardly appearing human any longer. Curiously, the changes did not end there. Many of them began exhibiting incredible abilities. Telekinesis. Pyrokinesis. Flight. The list could go on and on. Out of the large number of those affected, no two were found to have mutated in the same way. Unfortunately, this newfound strength was too much for so many whose brains had not even yet fully developed. The first notable accident was in Italy, 3 weeks after the solar flare. The subject lost either lost control of their ability or intentionally used it, accounts vary. No matter the case, approximately 3 gallons of highly corrosive acid was excreted on a public transit bus. The bus was nearly instantly compromised, and crashed. The crash, along with the abundance of corrosive fluid, killed 7, including the mutant, and injured several more.

Society instantly turned against them all. Many countries enacted segregationist laws against the mutants, now colloquially known as "Genomes" and hate groups rallied at the new pariah, with a frightening number of lynchings making the news. At the end of the immediate July, a multi-billionaire by the name of Leopold Henry announced that he had constructed an exclusive school for the Genomes, located on a remote island in the South Pacific cordoned for that sole purpose. The goal of the school was to teach them to control their abilities, so that they would not be a threat to the world and could be accepted. For its first year, the school took in precisely 200 students, ranging from across the world, with students arriving on the 10th of September.

edPNZAB.png

[spoiler=Rules]
1. YCM Rules. Don't flame, don't spam, advanced clause, blah blah blah
2. This is a PG-16 RP. This means it will tackle adult concepts, but will keep content generally appropriate. Harsh language is to be expected, but nothing sexually explicit and gor is to be kept to a minimum.
3. Cooperate with fellow RPers, and keep your mind on the current direction of the RP. If you want to develop a subplot or separate character arc, that is perfectly fine, but don't allow it to take away from everyone else's experience.
4. I am the Host. Yui is the Co-Host. What we say goes. We are absolutely libel to throw a curve-ball at the participants, and you guys are just gonna have to deal with it when/if we do.
5. Just to confirm that you have read this, include the phrase "things are looking up" or some variation of such somewhere on your character application.
6. This is not a solely combat-oriented RP, but combat will be included. Keep that in mind while considering joining.
7. Try to stay active. I would like to keep this RP running at a full posting round each week bare minimum. Obviously, things come up, just make sure to notify us when they do, and designate someone to control your character in your absence.

edPNZAB.png

[spoiler=Database]
[spoiler=Genome Powers]
Theoretically speaking, the powers of a Genome could be anything, due to the observably high variance in how they were all affected by the solar flare. That said, it is important to keep in mind that the characters in this RP will hardly have had their abilities for 5 months, and as such will quite likely not have attained a high level of control over them. As a matter of fact, the oppression from the whole of society caused many Genomes from renouncing their own nature, giving little to no experience in using their abilities.

edPNZAB.png

Genome Abilities can be divided into 5 different categories (6 by some schools of thought) to help classify precisely how the ability works and how the subject's mutation relates to those of others:

Morphological: Abilities of this category are the most simple, at least from a standpoint of gaining a scientific understanding of the mutations. A morphological ability is one granted completely by the physical changes to the body brought on by metamorphosis. Examples of such would be additional limbs, the ability to breath underwater through use of gills, and other similar physical mutations.
Exergonic: As-of-yet not fully understood, exergonic abilities vary wildly, with the commonality between them being that they involve the subject producing some form of energy from their body, whatever form that energy may take. In rare cases, this classification of ability involves the subject absorbing energy, resulting in an effect produced by the lack thereof, such as cold. Abilities such as Pyrokinesis, Electrokinesis, and the creation of energy barriers would all fall under this category.
Extrasensory/Extracognitive: This branch of abilities is two-fold. It includes abilities that enhance of augment the body's natural senses, as well as those that do such to the mind. Many researchers believe that this category should be divided into two to reflect such a dichotomy, but the study is a new one, so such changes have not had time to be decided upon yet. Telepathy, thermal vision, precognition, sonar, and countless other variations are all examples of Extrasensory or Extracognitive abilities.
Telekinetic: Telekinetic abilities are incredibly simple, conceptually speaking. They allow the subject to manipulate matter (or in more rare cases, some forms of energy) to suit their will. In nearly all observed cases, abilities of this nature have extremely strict and extremely specific limits to what they can do, but they are amazing powerful nonetheless. Telekinetic Genomes have been observed to manipulate magnetic fields, specific elements, and in some cases even living matter.
Augmentation: Augmentation powers are incredibly simple in effect, as they do nothing more than increase raw physical ability of the Genome. Examples of this are enhanced speed, strength, or regenerative capabilities.
Anomalous: Even with such a system of classification, many mutations manage to slip through the cracks, so the designation of anomalous was created to describe what other categories fail to.

edPNZAB.png

[spoiler=Genome High]
Created by Frederick Henry, the richest man on Earth, Genome High is located on a remote island in international waters. Approximately one miles off shore in every direction is a force-field, heralded as a protection from outside hostile forces.

FURTHER INFORMATION UNKNOWN

edPNZAB.png

[spoiler=Application]
(optional headshot here)
(optional quote here)

Name: (everybody has one)

Age: (keep in mind they will have been born within 4 years of the start of 2011)

Gender: (your choices here are equal to the number of thumbs you have, provided you have three thumbs, as it is absolutely possible for a Genome to have mutated in a way that would make them genderless.)

[spoiler=Appearance]An image plus at least one paragraph of description is needed here. Height and weight also are stuff you should note. If you can't find an image or just want to abandon such staple traditions, we'll need two paragraphs at the bare minimum. Since the appearance of characters in this rp will be mutated by nature, it is absolutely acceptable to use an image of what they would look like sans-mutation and fill in the blanks through description.

[spoiler=Personality]Everybody is different from one another, even with how many humans (and Genomes) we have running around. Give us at least two paragraphs on how your character acts.

[spoiler=Biography]Two paragraphs as the bare absolute minimum here. Tell what your life was like before becoming a Genome. How about after? What changed when you woke up with superpowers? There's more or less infinite possibilities for this so don't disappoint us.

[spoiler=Mutation]What's the point in being a Genome if you don't have these? No two Genomes are the same, so tell us what separates you from all the others out there in this spoiler. Details are everything here. Keep in mind some abilities lie completely in the changed morphology gained through metamorphosis (such as wings) while others are far more complex (ESP).

[spoiler=Misc]Any trivia about your character that just doesn't fit into the above categories or otherwise wasn't worth mentioning earlier.

edPNZAB.png

Got damn, i'm interested. Given my terrible track record with RPs, I'm not sure I'd be cut out for this, but making chars is always fun, so color my interest checked. 

EDIT: Woopsies I made a character already silly me

[spoiler=Ashes to ashes, dust to dust]

15i50s4.png

"Why the pout? You'd pout too if your arms and legs turned completely black. Well, everyone's a freak here, so I guess things are alright"

Name: Atsha Kewkba (AHT-shaw KOOK-bah)

Sex: Male

[spoiler=Appearance:]

2kfodl.png

((dollmaker))
Atsha stands at 5'3" (about 1.6 m), weighing in at 120 lbs (54 kg). Her arms up to her elbows, as well as her legs up to her knees, are completely black. The rest of her skin, besides the occasional chocolate freckle smattered across her chest, is a smooth latte. Her bust extends to about an a-cup. Her collar bones are well defined, as well as her chin and jawline. more to come because I'm kinda tired. 

[spoiler=Personality:]
Somber

Optimistic Pessimist

[spoiler=Biography:]
Privileged life, parents refused to acknowledge that she is trans using the "It's just a phase'' argument

[spoiler=Mutation: Smolder]

Classification: Telekinetic/Morphological

Atsha has the power to control ash. Due to her mutation causing her arms up to her elbows and legs up to her knees to become eternally heated ash themselves, she isn't aware of it since she subconsciously controls said ash to take the shape of her original appendages. Should she become aware of her abilities she could essentially shapeshift her missing appendages into any form she desired, along with forming just about anything she can imagine. However, because she cannot generate ash, she is limited to what ash she has around her. Her radius of control is roughly 10 feet, or a little over 3 meters. 

Atsha has also seemed to gain an immunity to fire and all things related to it. She cannot be burned, nor does she feel a temporal difference. The latter may be because her arms and legs are natural heaters, though the former's reason has yet to be discovered. 

Though not linked to an ability, Atsha's sclera have turned black. ((Gotta keep up aezthetics, ya know?))

[spoiler=Misc:]

sad poetry

Co-host reporting for duty with first app of the RP.

[spoiler=Comedian with Wings]

TTe64aW.png
"You know what you call a really happy bird? A raptor!"

Name: Naomi Blake

[spoiler=Appearance]X8Kuzss.png
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 43 pounds
Wingspan: 8'4"

Naomi's most defining feature is the large, gray pair of wings that protrude from the back of her hips. The exception to her generally wiry frame, Naomi's wings come complete with strong muscles, rough skin, and thick plumage for insulation. As a general rule, Naomi wears long coats in a similar gray to her wings, as it makes it easier to hide her wings under them. In a contrast to her wings, Naomi's hair is a dark brown, bordering black, with eyes of the same color. Complimenting this dark hair color is tanned skin with a slight reddish hue.

Those who catch a glimpse will see that Naomi's legs have rough, leathery skin; a big difference from the smooth skin present on the rest of her body. This rough skin - similar to her wings - extends all the way to her feet, which are quite unlike a regular human's. Naomi's feet have four toes each, with the outer toes able to rotate forward and backward. These toes - and Naomi's fingers as well - end in small, yet sharp talons. However, said glimpse won't be easily gained, as Naomi nigh-religiously wears long pants and socks alike to keep everything below her waist concealed from view.

[spoiler=Personality]A self-proclaimed comedy star, Naomi is the sort of girl who will find the humor in most anything, and craft a quick - often terrible - joke once she figures out a punchline. Most of the time, her sense of humor will prove crass and tactless, so her jokes probably won't fly so well with classier sorts. If it's not her usual crude humor, odds are Naomi's jokes consist more or less entirely of puns. Naomi love making puns and hearing them from others. As her drive for comedy might imply, Naomi is by no means a serious person. It'd be faster to list the things she actually takes seriously, but a positive side-effect of this is that it's pretty hard to make her mad. Naomi just laughs off most transgressions made against her, and might even use the incidents as future joke material!

With humans and Genomes alike, Naomi is a pretty straightforward girl. She says her mind, is a girl of few needs, and is easily read by others. Being somebody who doesn't like being treated differently just for being a Genome, she does her absolute best effort to give everybody equal treatment, Genome or not. That said, even Naomi isn't without bias; she's ever so slightly more friendly with fellow Genomes, and can be quite wary of humans. If she notices or even just thinks she's being rude with the latter, however, she'll make sure to apologize before anything else. It isn't that she dislikes them - Naomi used to be human too, after all - so much as having grown used to being treated like dirt by humans.

Befitting of her avian mutation, Naomi is actually a bit of a birdbrain. She's always been plenty of things, but smart was never among them. She makes dumb decisions if left to her own devices that she ends up regretting, only to make the exact same decisions later. She's prone to forgetting things if she doesn't pay attention, and if the world were run on cartoon physics, one could probably cook a meal on her head if Naomi were presented with a complex math problem. Naomi's an eager learner, though! It's just that she's really bad at learning. At the end of the day, however, Naomi just wants one thing out of life.

She just wants to be happy. Naomi's a girl who tries not to ask for much out of life or people, and most of her requests are pretty simple. She's also pretty patient when it comes down to it, not to mention low-maintenance. As long as she's got food, shelter, and a pal to make dumb jokes with, Naomi's content with her lot in life. Simply being contented with those three things is all she wants, both for herself and others.

[spoiler=Biography]
You ever been on one of those Indian reservations? Good times, but probably not as crazy different from the big cities as you'd think, depending on the reservation. So guess what? I was born on one of those. The Squalli-Absch reservation up in Washington, near-ish to Olympia. You know what Squalli-Absch people really like? Salmon. I ate more total salmon before age ten than you probably will for your entire life and I could totally write you a cookbook of salmon recipes, but that's a different story. Yeah, I grew up on the Squalli-Absch reservation. Parents had some relatives in Olympia that would visit often and give us money if we were in a tight spot, so I can't really complain about how I grew up. Parents loved me, folks treated me well, I made friends with other kids pretty easy because let's face it I'm freakin' hilarious, and altogether it was a happy, quiet life.

Oh right, the whole "This is a story about Genomes!" deal. So, as you might have noticed, I'm a Genome. That whole solar flare a while back put me into a spooky cocoon-coma-type thing. I saw pictures and lemme tell you, it was pretty damn creepy. So I woke up after about a week and a half feeling like I'd lost some serious weight, but get this. I had wings. Wings, man! Adjusting to the rest of the stuff like a new pair of feet was tough, but I was stoked. My family? Not so much. I had no idea what was going on and freaked out a bit with the whole "I won't let one of those damn Genomes live under my roof!" rant I got to wake up to. I cried a lot that day. It sucked. Aunt and uncle in Olympia wouldn't take me, parents wanted nothing to do with me, hell the rest of my reservation didn't even acknowledge me when I said hi. So I cried a bit more before growing a pair, going into the old house one last time to get whatever I could stuff into one duffel bag, then I literally flew off. Once I was out of dodge, I flew over to Tacoma. Quite a trip; my wings ached for days once I finally landed. My time in Tacoma was spent doing a mixed basket of good and bad things. One one hand, crime was down a bit once a flying vigilante took to the streets. Of course, that probably doesn't excuse that I had to steal, trespass, and extort to get by. Could you imagine if they checked my ID or something? They'd probably lynch me on the spot! I bet some Genomes would be really pissed with how extreme the xenophobia is, but instead of going all super-scary Magneto "savior of Genomes" and trying to kill humans before they could kill us, I wanted to be a good example that we're not all bad people. Plan didn't quite pay off.

See I wasn't the only one prowling the streets of Tacoma in search of bad guys. Somewhere in June, one vigilante catching me trying to save some lady from a mugger, then accusing me of being the actual mugger was all it took for every crook, cop, vigilante, and bounty hunter in Tacoma to want some Kentucky-Fried Naomi for lunch. So I had to fly off again. Only this time, people seriously wanted me dead. Like an entire city's worth of people. sheet was pretty scary; they had helicopters and everything. But, despite the entire city of Tacoma going on a full-blown Genome-hunt, I managed to slip out of town, when I met this other Genome on the road further north to Canada; turns out we both thought they'd be a bit more accepting of Genomes. She was pretty cool. She had the power to move her skeleton outside of her body! It was really gross but how cool is that!? We were road buddies for a bit, and we learned a lot about each other along the way. Never exchanged names though, weird enough. We just called each other "Bodybag" and "Vulture" to tease each other at first and the names kinda stuck.

Anyway get this. We pass through most of Washington easy-peasy, but there's so much crap at the Canadian border! I swear Canada turned into a fortress or something, because getting through the border without getting caught was stupid hard. So we get there and have no idea where to go, so we just start sneaking onto trains. Not a bad time really; nobody questioned us and as long as I kept my wings and feet out of sight, nobody suspected a thing. We keep up the hitchiking gig for a month or so until we're caught. Some creepy old dude opened the coat I was wearing, revealing my wings for all to see. So not only did that happen, but the train went into a riot. Bodybag actually got shot a few times on the way out. I patched her up as best I could, but she insisted we split up after that incident. I just really hope she didn't die because of me...

Right right, my life story! Thing is, there's not much to say after the train incident. I picked up the vagabond act again until the end of the month when Mr. Henry announced that school for Genomes. Over the last four months, I've been disowned, held at knifepoint, gunpoint, and a whole bunch of other points, had to illegally slip into a foreign nation, got sexually harrassed by an old man, and might have gotten the one friend I had over those months killed in my place. I can say "things weren't so bad" all I want, but honestly it's sucked. But hey, we've got a fancy new school going up for us so we can prove to society that we aren't bad people. Now that I've survived through August and the very start of September to see the place open, I can finally say things are looking up again.

[spoiler=Mutation]Avian Anatomy: While it's certainly the most obvious part of her mutation, wings aren't the only thing Naomi got treated to during her brief coma. Excluding her wings, the greatest change to Naomi's body was in her feet, the structure of which has entirely changed. Rather than a human's five-toed foot, Naomi's feet are bird-like pamprodactyl feet, meaning each foot has four toes, with the outer toes able to rotate forward and backward alike. Each of these toes is fairly long, and ends in a small talon capable of ripping flesh. The skin on Naomi's feet and legs has also grown rough and leathery. She's not really proud of her new lower body, and makes an active effort to keep her legs and feet hidden from view.

While her hands still have five fingers, Naomi's fingernails have also become small talons, though it's hard to tell the difference if she clips them regularly. With Genome High opening up, Naomi's finally been able to relax on the fingertalon front, allowing them to grow into the little rippers they're meant to be. Also similar to a bird, Naomi's skeleton has adopted a honeycomb structure, decreasing her weight considerably and allowing her to fly. However, this has the side effect of her bones breaking far more easily than a regular person's.

Another change, albeit minor at a glance, is that this mutation has given Naomi exceptional vision, beyond the scope of what a human would otherwise be capable of. The muscles in Naomi's wings also pack some pretty powerful muscles. Combined with her light weight, and not factoring in weather, she's been able to fly at speeds up to 60 miles per hour. Diving speed yet to be recorded.

[spoiler=Misc]Wings are very ticklish. This is a secondary reason Naomi generally tries to keep her wings hidden from view.

[spoiler=Laurent Clark]

VhmUqbm.png

"This still counts as a high school diploma, right?"

Name: Laurent Clark

[spoiler=Appearance]

i__m_digging_that_strut_son__i_like_your

5'4"

124lbs

After emerging from his cocoon, Laurent had shrunk 2 inches and every hair on his body, eyelashes and all, was silver. 

[spoiler=Personality]

Laurent has always felt an overwhelming urge to be in control. He prefers to drive rather than sit in the passenger's seat. He prefers to cook rather than to order food at a restaurant. He prefers to do all the work in a group project and then write everyone else's names on it. In essence, Laurent just doesn't really trust people. Don't mistake this mistrust of people for a dislike of people because Laurent doesn't necessarily dislike people. Albeit, Laurent's personality definitely takes some getting used to. However, the fact that he is controlling doesn't mean isn't kind or thoughtful. 

In fact, because he is so controlling, and be extension wants things to be perfect, Laurent pays extra attention to an individuals' likes and dislikes, their emotions, and the general state of their well-being. As a friend, Laurent can actually be quite sweet and sensitive. He will always know your favorite meal and how to cook. He'll know your favorite movie and exactly how to make you laugh.

As one might expect, Laurent does not handle failure or unexpected complications well. He has never really developed a coping mechanism for failure and instead just avoids it. When he can't he readily denies it and when that inevitably fails he wallows in it for an extended amount of time until eventually the shock just wears it. He never really lets things go, though. 

When someone hurts Laurent he tends to hold it against them. Call it a grudge or whatever, but he just doesn't appreciate being made a fool of. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...," all that crap. This works both ways, however, and goes hand in hand with his inability to accept failure. If Laurent hurts someone else, he tends to feel incredibly guilty about it.

[spoiler=Biography]

"It's funny, I guess, because I thought I had it all figured out. I was going to finish high school at the top of my class. Go to the most prestigious college I could. Marry my long-term boyfriend. Hopefully figure out what I actually wanted to be along the way, but if not then I could always go into business. That, of course, went to s*** when the sun popped a massive boner and I became a butterfly's awkward teenage years. It's the type of irony that only the unseen audience of this massively f***ed up comedy can truly appreciate. 

I was in that chrysalis for 4 days. Did you know that when a caterpillar goes into its cocoon it's entire physical body is actually chemically broken down and then put back together? Of course, they don't know for sure if that's what happened to me, yet, but it's a hypothesis. A horrifying one at that.  And you know, I thought coming out as gay was difficult, but it doesn't compare to coming out as a mutant. For one thing, in 2028 most people have moved passed the 'gay thing'. However, the 'mutant thing'. The world was quick to latch onto that one.

I've got to hand it to my mom though. She's tough. She was there when I first broke out of the cocoon and has been by my side ever since. She got me into special doctors. Therapists. She punched a reporter in the jaw. My mom is kind of a badass. She moved my kid brother and I around for a couple months after what happened in March just trying to keep me safe. We went from Providence to Newport to Plymouth to Buffalo. Of course, we couldn't fly anywhere. Not after I accidentally caused a bus crash in early April. Complete accident, I swear. I only suggested that the bus take a break, I could tell it was tired. One moment we were going 60 down the highway, then...BAM! Brakes lock. Huge mess. 4 people in critical condition. 21 people injured. Honestly? I am lucky no one died.

So yeah, no planes. Even driving is incredibly stressful for me. One time, my mom took my brother and I to a Subway for dinner and the lady in front of us was talking on her cell phone. Talking, talking, talking. Her two kids were pulling at her clothes, it was obvious they were hungry and impatient, I think one of them had to go to the bathroom real bad. And I kept thinking, just hang up the phone lady. Pay attention to your damned kids. Then...BAM! Her phone starts smoking. Thank God she pulled it away from her face because the thing practically explodes, sparks and little bits of Apple hardware going everywhere.

Being out in public is hard for me. Technology is everywhere and it does all kinds of crazy s*** around me. Plus, ya know, it gets really, um, well it makes me feel kind of crazy sometimes. You know? Just hearing all the chatter? I can close it out most of the time, but one time Mom thought we could hole up in this little apartment in New York City. That was a big nope. So much noise there. Hell, I practically went catatonic. She got me out of there real fast. It was around then that she decided that I needed to go somewhere safer for me. Some place where I could learn about whatever I am. 

I swear the only reason I got into this school is because my mom made them take me. I wouldn't be surprised if she had beat Leopold Henry over the head himself until he accepted my registration." 

[spoiler=Mutation]

Major Classification: Extracognitive

Minor Classification: Telekinetic

Technopathy: It appears that Laurent's primary mutation allow him to communicate and control machines by establishing a mental interface with them. As described by Laurent himself, he is able to "hear" what a machine is "thinking" and communicate with it directly. His ability faces variability in the face of more complex machine, firewalls, increased stressed, physical distance, and other psychic interference. 

Cyberkinesis: Laurent has also demonstrated the ability of being able to manipulate small components of technology, like making small pieces of smart phone rearrange themselves into something else. This ability has been recorded as distinctly different from magnekinesis, electro-magnekinesis, and ferrokinesis. Laurent's cyberkinetic abilities are extremely limited. For example, he could not rearrange the pieces of a car into a Transformer, he might be able to mess with some parts in the engine, however. 

[spoiler=Miscellaneous]

- Laurent converses with Siri on his phone, using his ability to have actual conversations with her.

- While Laurent and his boyfriend technically never broke up, Erin hasn't returned his last 12 calls or 32 text messages. The last time they saw each other was when Laurent was in the hospital getting tests done on him after becoming a Genome. Things aren't really looking up for them. 

- Before getting his abilities, Laurent wasn't particularly good with technology or machines. Even now his understanding of tech doesn't come from a worldly knowledge, but rather an inherent psychic understanding. 

[spoiler=Vantablack]

4leGk5O.png?1

"I don't think you should need to see my face to tell I don't care."

Name: Samuel Young

[spoiler=Appearance]

f3zGsmy.png

Height: 5'6"

Weight: 118 lbs

Once upon a time, Sam was very fair-skinned, sporting dark brown hair and striking blue eyes. Of course, his mutation took these features away. As a result of his mutation, Samuel's skin (as well as all of his body tissue, for that matter) is black. Not black like ethnicity, not like a sharpie, not like the blackest paint you have ever seen. Just... black. An absolute absence of color. Because of this, his facial features cannot be distinguished by sight, aside from outlines gleaned from when he is silhouetted against a backdrop. Rather than having any sort of blemishes, his skin is incredibly smooth. As a matter of fact, it doesn't particularly feel like flesh at all, due to a complete lack of pores or body hair. Instead, it has a texture akin to polished stone, or brushed carbon fiber polymer, albeit with the consistency and flex of normal human skin. Due to the nature of his mutation, he is almost constantly warm to the touch. The color has faded from the hair on his head, leaving it a bland grey, with slight hints of his previous brunette.

[spoiler=Personality]

Samuel takes the concept of "introvert" to an entirely new extreme. It isn't so much a case of him being afraid of human interaction. More than anything else, it is just a pleasantry he never excelled in, and he didn't feel the need to bother much with improving that. Even online, where he spent most of his time, he always acted as an observer. He read quite a lot, and partook in various forms of art, but never made and effort to share his own talents or interests. He doesn't hold fast in his opinions, due to a general, quiet disinterest in the world around him, instead sitting back and watching events unfold around him. This outsider mentality contributes to one of his hobbies (or the closest thing he has of the sort,) which is people-watching. He watches the other human beings around him do the things they do, quietly narrating it in his head, idly wondering how each of them worked.

Though he generally avoids social situations, they do not make him particularly uncomfortable, and he partakes in the standard social interactions that are just a part of life. Saying "excuse me" as he passes by someone, pointless chit-chat with the cashier at the grocery store, speaking his part in group presentations, et cetera. In candid conversations, Sam is observably disinterested in most things, and reacts with mild sarcasm to efforts to make a connection to him. Though he is not particularly egotistical (his neutral opinion of himself matches his feelings for most things) he often appear to be such, due to his general lack of caring for what others think, beyond a base level of curiosity. His blunt manner of speaking certainly does not help this.

[spoiler=Biography]

"I suppose this is the part where we talk about ourselves? I guess it is easier than for us to be described by an outside narrator, but don't you think this is a little bit played out? Never mind, it seems we are pretty far down the rabbit hole with this trope anyway, so I may as well play along. When in Rome, I suppose."

"I was raised in a small town in Nova Scotia. It's... not terribly exciting, but I doubt I would be too enthralled even if it were. I am an only child, and my family is small. We don't really associate with my extended family because, to quote, 'It's complicated Sammy, but we don't need them. Your dad and I love you very much, and that's all that matters.' To be completely fair, my mother was right, at least in regards to our family not needing outside support. The rest is pretty subjective, and I don't think I would need to weigh in on it for this. In any case, as I was saying, by no means did we need support. My father is a very prominent lawyer, and my mother was a successful civil engineer in Halifax before she became pregnant with me and retired, moving to this suburb of a suburb."

"My early life was, in a word, boring. I am reasonably intelligent, so school wasn't much of a chore. I didn't feel a need to forge incredible friendships with my peers. After all, they were just as boring as myself. In Nova Scotia, education in French is a fairly standard curriculum. The language isn't a commonly used here as some other provinces, so I didn't put much effort into learning it. I and understand it reasonably well, but I was never able to perform the correct inflection to speak it fluently. After I reached a reasonable age 3 or 4 years ago, I began to spend much of my time on the internet, frequenting various messaging boards. I spent all of my free time in this. The psychiatrist my parents briefly employed believed this was a form of escapism, but I sincerely disagree. I wasn't trying to escape reality, rather I simply found what I saw online more interesting, so I devoted more attention to it. It is simple economic theory, really. As a matter of fact, I made sure not to absorb myself in these communities. Though, I'll admit, it was quite amusing watching all the faces behind the keyboards scramble to find some form of camaraderie."

"I imagine at this point in autobiography, most of the students are saying something along the lines of, 'but the the solar flare happened, and everything changed,' but quite honestly that simply isn't the case at all. I mean, I look like half-edited footage for some b-rate hybrid CGI film, but I don't think my appearance was ever terribly relevant. I was in the cocoon for something around 130 hours, but that's really only an estimate. Since I am typically a bit of a recluse, I had been in the cocoon for (what is presumed to be) several hours in my room before being discovered. After I came out, well, you already know how my mutation works. I'm quite literally a black body. If I had any interest in it, and the world didn't despise my kind, I could probably make a career modelling for advertisements for retro-style music players. The doctors were quite perplexed by my mutation. Their x-rays didn't work. Neither did MRI. Eventually they figured out that they could get semi-accurate readings from ultrasound, and confirmed that my insides are a damn mess. I suppose that isn't surprising when I am basically a plant."

"After all that mess, I just came back home. From what I understand, the world hates all of us "Genomes" because of some guy in Russia or something, but that doesn't really affect me. The last few months I have been doing online school to make up for all the time lost with the pointless doctor visits, so I haven't left my room much at all. Since I no longer have any form of digestive system, and receive all my sustenance from my overhead lamp, there hasn't been much need for it. Honestly, it has been pretty convenient. I had never realized how much of a hassle eating was. If I was the type to make cliche statements, I would say things are looking up. Of course, I ended up being invited/accepted (not sure exactly how it works, I haven't paid very close attention) to some fancy school in the middle of nowhere. So I guess that sums up what you would want to know." 

[spoiler=Mutation]

Classification: Exergonic

Vantablack: Samuel's body tissues completely absorb electromagnetic radiation, with the only exception being his iris, which remains transparent to allow light to reach his retinas. All forms of light that strike his surface are completely absorbed. This means his body is impenetrable to visible light, radio, x-rays, and any other kind of conventional imaging system. His internal structures could only be determined through extensive use of ultrasound.

This constant absorption of energy is not without upside, however. In a process similar to photosynthesis, Samuel's body derives all the energy it needs through absorbed electromagnetic radiation. Furthermore, with extensive focus, he is able to generate small amounts of electromagnetic radiation. This can range from a faint glow of visible light to a low-wavelength EMP. These releases, along with black-body radiation, are how Samuel's body expels excess energy, as he cannot "turn off" his mutation.

[spoiler=Misc.]

Samuel's favorite style of art is Orphism.

Samuel can understand French, but cannot speak it well.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but at least to me, the premise sounds kind of similar to Quantum's Fragment. With the whole superpowers and school thing. As I'm not in that RP though, I might be dead wrong. Though, that RP sounded more like an established superhero society and this one is kind of a recent, apocalyptic scenario from what I'm reading.

Also if this dies, it'd totally be on you. :P

Sorry if this sounds rude, but at least to me, the premise sounds kind of similar to Quantum's Fragment. With the whole superpowers and school thing. As I'm not in that RP though, I might be dead wrong. Though, that RP sounded more like an established superhero society and this one is kind of a recent, apocalyptic scenario from what I'm reading.

Though it may seem similar, the actual content is quite different. Notably, this isn't a universe with any real sort of super heroes, not are there really any villains. The education is not for the purpose of helping them save the day, instead being a safeguard so that they are not inherently a hazard to the public.

Not to mention that the tone and themes will be dramatically different, and the direction of the plot will further differentiate it.

I planned this with Yui, who is a co-host for QF. I assure you that any resemblances between the two RPs are merely superficial.

Though it may seem similar, the actual content is quite different. Notably, this isn't a universe with any real sort of super heroes, not are there really any villains. The education is not for the purpose of helping them save the day, instead being a safeguard so that they are not inherently a hazard to the public.

Not to mention that the tone and themes will be dramatically different, and the direction of the plot will further differentiate it.

I planned this with Yui, who is a co-host for QF. I assure you that any resemblances between the two RPs are merely superficial.

I can vouch for this, Leafeon.

As QF's host, mine dealt with superpowers and heroes/villains being the norm...much like Boku no Hero Academia/My Hero Academia. While this, in my mind, has a sort of X-Men vibe to it...with the powers literally being called mutations (Genome just being a word for Mutant at this point, which I like).

That said...not sure if I should join and help make it go a bit before it dies...lol...or just sit from the sidelines and watch the pyre it shall produce. Regardless, my interest is noted.

While this, in my mind, has a sort of X-Men vibe to it...with the powers literally being called mutations (Genome just being a word for Mutant at this point, which I like).

That said...not sure if I should join and help make it go a bit before it dies...lol...or just sit from the sidelines and watch the pyre it shall produce. Regardless, my interest is noted.

they are literally inhumans tbh.

Regardless, this RP is my baby. It's not gonna die. At least, not without extenuating circumstances. The tags were just me funking around.

[spoiler=Even as mutants, teenagers are still messy and emotional]

"I exchanged a stable and planned future for pale skin and the ability to be a human fridge... great."

Name: Nathan Walsh

[spoiler=Appearance]

tumblr_nykyzdamb01uu8wmho1_540.jpg

HEIGHT: 5'7"

WEIGHT: 123 lb

After the mutation his skin lost all melanin and turned much more sensitive meaning that direct contact with sunlight easily irritates his skin or if prolonged burns him.

He has ash blond hair and brown eyes usually accompanied by dark circles (he has accepted the "haven't slept since last century" look). He has a lanky build and often wears black clothes and cardigans.

[spoiler=Personality] Nathan is a cold person (ironically, after the mutation literally). He doesn't like human contact and is detached from people his age trying to keep most information about him hidden. Since he was little he had a general dislike towards people since kids his age isolated him and his family treated him as a living trophy. Even with his few friends he has a general detachment as he thinks they only care about him for his money.

He's a perfectionist and always sets his standards for himself too high, this created a vicious cycle where the only result was a low self-esteem. Since birth his family pushed him to be extremely ambitious, they wanted the best education for him so he could become the perfect heir of the family's company.

Despite his cold behavior he's a hopeless romantic and hopes to find a boyfriend who can "melt" his ice-cold heart.

[spoiler=Biography] Since birth Nathan wasn't normal: he was born intellectually gifted and dysgraphic. His talent at school and family name usually deterred kids from befriending him, as they assumed he was a snobby brat who thought he was better than everybody else.

If the situation at school was poor, the situation at home was even worse; His parents were always expecting the best from him and would punish if he didn't get amazing grades or if his behavior was anything less than expected from the child of such a respected family. They always planned for him to become the heir to the family's company, to have a perfect wife and, since he was an only child, to continue the legacy of the family. He didn't want any of that, he didn't want a life of big fancy dinners and, although he liked not having to worry about the future, for sure didn't want to have the pressure of the family company. He always kept these thoughts to himself because only God knows what his father would do to him if he found out he wasn't the trophy child he raised him to be.

Later at the beginning of high school, Nathan figured out he was gay. This was another thing he kept secret from his parents, he would be even more of a disappointment if he couldn't even carry the family name onward. Luckily in high school he started making a few friends but even the relationship he had with them was troubled as experiences with past "friends" made him believe they liked him just because of his money. 

Life continued like this, his self-destructive cycle and anxiety about being forced into an unwanted life were always present. That was until the day of the mutation.

When his parents found out what he turned into, that he was a mutant, they practically disowned him. They sent him to live with one of the family servants until the school for Genome High was founded where they instantly sent him to as a way to get rid of him.

Now that he doesn't have his father constantly breathing on his neck, he hopes things will be looking up.

[spoiler=Mutation]

Type: Exergonic

Heat Absorption (or as Nathan calls it: Human Fridge):

Nathan can absorb heat from anything his skin touches. He's able to turn anything he touches to (currently) 0°C. This also means that his body is constantly cold. Due to this he can handle colder climates much better than others. Now that he is untrained he is constantly absorbing heat involuntarily and he can't control the speed at which he absorbs heat.

[spoiler=Misc.]

Character Theme

• Nathan is a night owl and rarely goes to bed before 1AM, this is what gave him his very deep dark circles.
  • He enjoys photography and owns a camera.
  • Since he left home, he always has his nails painted black
  • He loves tattoos and if it wasn't for his parents he would already have multiple.

More misc. stuff may come later

Whew, it's been forever since I Rped and even longer since. I made a male character. I hope this isn't a terrible app.

[spoiler=Sweet Emotions]

x393wz.jpg

P7G6QAP.png

"The sun lets off some steam and what happens? I get this dumb power. Talk about a rip off!"

x393wz.jpg
Personal Information
Name: Lloyd Jones
x393wz.jpg
[spoiler=Appearance]
V5zJzPU.png

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 120 lbs

Depicted above is Lloyd's general appearance, clothing wise as well.

After emerging from his cocoon, the only immediate noticeable mutation to his body was the new sixth finger on his right hand. Also something to note is that Lloyd has been pale ever since his emergence, and no matter how hard he's tried, he can't get a tan to save his life. Another little mutation to note is his eyes. While at first glance, they aren't all that special, if Lloyd's emotions shift in anyway, the colors of his eyes will change to the color representing that emotion.

x393wz.jpg
[spoiler=Personality]
Before the mutation, Lloyd was pretty much a closed book, not really opening up to anyone...let alone show anyone what he was feeling. In short, before the craziness happened, Lloyd was your normal everyday teen trying to go through life: just trying to skate by through and not necessarily wanting to talk about his feelings.

However, after the mutation, it was a lot different. Instead of talking about his own feelings, Lloyd tends to talk to others about their own feelings (i.e., asking someone why their sad or even what they're anticipating). Though at the same time, the questions do come back to him due to his eye colors usually changing in regards to his own emotions. When these happen, Lloyd is always reluctant to talk about them, due to him not exactly learning it was alright to talk about a subject like that when its pointed at you. Nevertheless, Lloyd is almost resentful at the powers he's gotten through this whole ordeal, namely because of the powers he's seen other Genomes being able to use. Thus, he usually mentions about how jealous he is when he sees some Genomes' powers and abilities.

Though before and afters aside, Lloyd still is a quiet young man that tries to keep to himself, only having small lapses of ADHD/ADD when he sees the emotions of others via his power. He is quite intelligent, trying his best to keep his grades and GPA at a high enough level, even though sometimes he lacks the energy to want to try (#teenproblems, what are ya gonna do?). Lloyd, although doesn't display it all that much, does have a soft spot for people who are in a worse off position than he is, the underdogs and even misfits. Therefore, he tries his best to help those types of people or Genomes out in any way he can. He constantly has headaches and is usually always seen popping a few aspirin to take care of them.

x393wz.jpg
[spoiler=Biography]
Jeez where do I even start with this? I suppose the beginning is the best thing...just so I can tell you about how I was jibbed out of a real mutation and power.

High school, cause sure, ALL great superpower stories start there. I was coming home from class...alright it was detention, cause I punched a kid. All I was doing was trying to keep him from talking to me too much and they ended up sending me to detention just cause I wanted to be left alone...yeah me being left alone is an issue with my family, my dad is an ass, but I'm getting away from the point. I head home and guess what? The sun decides to have a quick spas attack and next thing I know, or told rather, I dropped on the ground in a coma.

Naturally, at this point people would be going: "NO WAY!! The sun just put me in a cocoon! This is some straight up comic book stuff!"...and to be honest, I felt the same way. I woke up out of the coma and popped out like a butterfly from a cocoon about...I wanna say it was 3 or 4 days later. And for the sake of argument, I was pumped about this. I had heard from my mom and sister that the same thing had been happening all over the globe and the individuals would have some mutations and powers. Naturally I wanted to see what I had...and boy...was I EVER disappointed.

Let me paint you the picture. I'm trying to see what I got...and literally I see nothing until I look at my right hand. Six fingers and a thumb. Look at my left hand, five and a thumb. Literally that's ALL I got in the range of mutations, that I saw for the moment. Needless to say I was furious. I looked in the mirror after this discovery and saw my eyes turning red. And not red as in you cry too much or rub them a lot, I'm talking irises turning red red! I immediately thought I was being possessed or something, but when I happened to be shocked by the revelation, guess what? My eyes changed color again, this time to like a sage green. So great, I thought to myself, my mutation is pretty much an extra finger and my eyes changing from one color to another based on how I feel...yeah, I was totally jibbed.

Oh but it got even better. That's when I found my awesome power out...and yes, sarcasm on that was intentional. Turns out that I could see a blue and yellow aura around my mother and sister...blue for sadness and yellow for joy. Yeah, I had clairempathy. I gotta stop for a moment to ask, have you ever seen a clairempath in comics much? If you said yes, then you know how disappointing this was. I mean, C'MON! Reports of people having animal-esque features, controlling elements, and whatnot. What can I do? I can see emotions... Hoo....ray... And if that wasn't bad enough, I constantly had splitting headaches because of seeing so many emotional auras. Yaaaaay...

So I literally had the easy life as a Genome. Sure, people picked on me and avoided me like the plague, but at least this whole ordeal could've given me something to work with. Flight? Maybe teleporting? Hell! I would've went for being a master underwater basket weaver!!

I digress, it wasn't until later that my mom got me enrolled at Genome High, a school for gifted youngsters (man that sounds comic book as hell), against my father's wishes mind you, and I was off. All I really hope is that things will be looking up for me. Maybe I can ACTUALLY find some good uses for this lame power. Maybe some offensive and defensive ways to use it...one can freakin' hope.

x393wz.jpg
Mutation Information
x393wz.jpg
Major Classification: Extrasensory
Minor Classification: N/A
x393wz.jpg
[spoiler=Mutation]
Clairempathy: A strange mutation to have, Lloyd has the power to detect/see emotional resonances from individuals. Now grant it, he doesn't see it physically like a person sees physical objects, but rather, he sees aura around the people...each aura being a different color based on those shown by Plutchik's wheel of emotions. For example, say he sees a young man looking at a young girl. Via clairempathy, he can see the young man's aura in the color of a mixture of yellow (joy) and lime (trust) which would end up being the color combination for love.

However, there are limitations to Lloyd using this ability. The main one being, massive headaches. While not a huge limitation, between the massive headaches and strains on Lloyd's brain, they make him want to keep using this power to a minimum.

x393wz.jpg

Misc. Information

x393wz.jpg

Lloyd's Theme | Battle Theme

• Lloyd is the first character I've developed who doesn't necessarily have any combat experience nor any offensive powers. Something else to note is that his Clairempathy doesn't at all help in regards to defense either.
  • Due to him constantly having massive headaches due to his mutation, Lloyd has with him at all times a bottle of aspirin.
  • Lloyd is a huge nerd and usually keeps a small variety of comics in his bag (both DC and Marvel alike).

.involved-share:hover .hover,

.involved-share .hover-other {

display: none;

}

.involved-share:hover .hover-other {

display: block;

}

div.bbc_spoiler_content

{

padding: 0px;

border: 1px double #d1dce8;

margin-top:0px;

}

#eden {

background:#180000 url("http://i.imgur.com/yIKY9eZ.png") repeat center top;

background-attachment:scroll;

}

#natureloli

{

width:705px;

margin:auto;

background-color:#84ad83;

}

#spoilercolor

{

background:#84ad83;

}

LPzzfNm.png

”The earth sings for those who open their hearts.”

sNlvQFj.png

Luana, the Priestess of the Earth

sNlvQFj.png

Name: Luana

sNlvQFj.png

[spoiler=Appearance]

Height: 148cm

Weight: 41kg

Mutations: Tattoo-like sigils across parts of the body,
small branch-like horns on her head with small leaves and flowers.

XS0TqTA.jpg

sNlvQFj.png

[spoiler=Personality]

As gentle as the summer breeze, she has a kind and quiet voice towards even the most antagonistic people. She isn’t entirely introverted, loving to tag along with others and enjoy group activities. However, she also usually doesn’t speak up unless called on and is more comfortable when she is listening rather than talking.

An idealist, a dreamer, a pacifist, and a naïve child at heart, but aware the world isn’t as pleasant as she might hope it to be. However, she still has a tendency to want to trust people and see the best in them, and together with her submissive nature, make her an easy target to trick or bully along even if she sees through the deception. On the positive side, she is extremely open-minded and makes for a good listener if anyone ever wants to vent or tell her stories. Her creative imagination also helps her mind think up amazingly fantastical tales of her own.

However, like a child who’s still innocent at heart, she has the flaws that come with as well. While she understands that she should not hurt people, she doesn’t always necessarily understand that saying certain things can hurt people. In addition, she usually says words the moment they pop into her head. This can lead to her coming off as surprisingly blunt, in contrast with her usual gentle nature. Another issue is that she makes an immediate judgement based off appearance, which usually serves her well, but can be just as dangerously or rudely opposite. If she saw someone dressed neatly but not in an arrogant way with a nice look, she would almost immediately open up to them. On the other hand, if she saw someone dressed in shabby clothes or otherwise ‘suspicious’ outfits such as masks or sunglasses or clothes that don’t fit the weather (long, concealing clothes in a hot temperature), she’d immediately make the assumption they were someone potentially dangerous, or at least not someone to stay near.

sNlvQFj.png

[spoiler=Backstory]

Oh, um, is it my turn already…? Ah, sorry… I’m a Genome… wait, you already knew that, right? Sorry sorry… My name? Right! My name, right. I’m Luana, n-n-nice to meet you! I’m fifteen years old and I was born in Hawaii. Ni’ihau to be specific… W-What? I’m not nervous! I’m just really happy someone wanted to talk to a disgusting abomination like me, ehehe… Does it hurt…? No, I’m used to it by now… Don’t worry about it…

You want to know about my Genome? I can hear the voices of the earth and ask animals and plants to do things for me. It’s actually really cool, I can ask to borrow a fish’s gills so I can breathe underwater, or ask a bird to share their wings so I can fly around! Oh! S-Sorry, I got too excited, I guess I should tone it down. Everyone says it’s weird and unnatural and that I made a contract with an evil spirit, but my grandma tells me that I was picked by Papa. Papa’s our earth-mother. She talks with me a lot in secret and cheers me up whenever I’m feeling down.

About my past…? I was born on Ni’ihau. It’s part of Hawaii, but no one really lives here except for the people born here like me. No one ever visits too, except for that little part over to the coast on that far side. But almost no one visits there either. I think that’s okay though. When I look over the ocean to the bigger islands, there’s soooo many people, it’s crazy! And boats keep coming in like every few sun-movings with even more people. How does anyone even find anything or know what’s going on?? I dunno, it seems way too busy-body-everybody with no time for any one-body. So I’m glad I live over here. Sure, it’s just my family and the other families, but it feels cozier and there’s not people everywhere all the time being noisy and whatever else all those people do with their time.

My grandma tells me I was born just as the night had fell and all the birds and bugs and animals began to sing. My makuahine - my mom - gave me the name Luana because it means ‘happiness’ in our language, which she said it was like to see me. I don’t really remember much when I was super little, but my mom tells me stories of how she walked me through the waters and forests so I could hear every living thing. I learned basket-weaving and dancing and singing from her. My dad would teach me the cool things like how to fish and climb trees. And my grandma would always tell me stories every night as I fell asleep, about the most amazing things. She would tell me about the stars, about how our people first came here, and stories about great heroes. So that’s what I’ve grown up with.

After the sky burned with the sun-fire though and I got these weird powers and marks on my body, it became sort of really different though… My mom and dad are a lot more stressed nowadays and they always seem really tired. I can hear them arguing a lot at night and it makes me worried… Only my grandma still seems just as cheerful as ever… Everyone tells me that I sold my soul to some evil spirit for these powers, and my mom and dad denies it. But I think they secretly think so too on the inside… But Grandma says they’re all wrong and that animals love me because I could sing the songs that Papa used to sing, when the earth first grew and animals were first born, and that’s why they share their wings and fins and gills with me. I don’t know anymore… I want to believe Grandma… It makes me really happy when I listen to the animals and sing together with them… But what if I really am just cursed? Would you hate me too…?

Mmm… The air’s all sour-y and tingly. Sorry… It was my fault for being so down… So um… anyways! I just came back from picking some fresh berries, want some? They’re good, I promise! [...] How are they how are they how are they? Do you like them? [...] Yay! See? I told you! Sorry, sorry, I’m getting too carried away again, ehehe… The letter…? How’d you know about the letter? Only my family and I know about that.

I got a weird letter from someone though a few days ago, like you said. It says I can come to some island that’s a bit to the southwest from here, and that it’ll be a school for people like me. Y-You know, the weirdoes who got the mutations and special powers. I don’t know if I should trust it… it seems sort of like a scam… It’s not? My grandma told me that the person who sent the letter is some really rich person, but doesn’t money make people corrupt? What if he just wanted us so he could like, cut us open and do weird stuff to us? My grandma says that she’d support me either way though and that she thinks it’s a good opportunity to be able to talk to others like me. I-I might go… A-Are you done with the interview yet…? S-Sorry! I didn’t mean it like I didn’t like it, I was just curious… Oh, it’s done? O-Okay… G-Goodbye! Have a nice day! I guess things are starting to look up after all, ehehe…

sNlvQFj.png

[spoiler=Mutation]

Songs of Papa

Songs of the Earth-Mother

Luana's Mutation is classified as Anomalous, although there are aspects of certain other types within her Mutation. She herself describes her Mutation as being able to hear and sing "the melodies of life". When activating her abilities, the sigils on her body begin to glow, the color depending on whether she’s ‘listening’ (warm reds), ‘singing’ (golden yellows and oranges), or ‘linking’ (bright greens). While they fall under one overarching ability, each part is unique in its own right.

Listening and singing are two sides of the same coin. Through her ears and her voice, she can pick up on emotions from the nearby animals. She cannot hear or speak in terms of ‘words’, but rather in pure feelings and brief flashes of images. However, if you asked Luana herself, she would say it feels more honest than anything words could ever convey, and that the limit of words is too small to express the leaps and bounds of emotions she ‘hears’.

Linking is what you could call the third side of the coin, or the edge. When she comes into physical contact with an animal, she can begin to draw upon their traits and borrow them for herself. Of course, this doesn’t hurt or subtract from the animal she’s linking with. The scientific explanation would be her body copies their DNA temporarily and modifies her own body to adapt to it, until it eventually ‘burns through’ and rejects the foreign DNA. The explanation that Luana gives however, is that she made a spiritual connection with the animal, who in turn granted her the gift of their kind. A second of contact can lend around ten minutes of usage, although she cannot cancel it herself. She cannot borrow the traits of more than one animal at a time, as the second would push out the first’s DNA. However, switching in this manner apparently is very tiring for Luana, so she usually prefers to wait out the remaining time before switching instead.

Something to note is when she takes on a being’s features, she takes on certain aspects of their appearance in her own appearance. For example, channeling something like a lion would give her certain feline features such as slightly more narrowed irises and the hint of whiskers, while channeling her a fish would give her gills and slight patches of scale-like skin.

sNlvQFj.png

[spoiler=Trivia]

◐ Favorite food: Wild berries

◑ Least favorite food: Meat

◒ Hobbies: Singing, cloudgazing, singing, forest-walking, singing.

◓ Her only “jewelry” consists of polished river stones she had found herself and some cheap metal bracelets and armlets.

◖ Still thinks to herself that cars are fueled by some sort of spiritual magic.

◗ Wove her cultural outfits herself by hand.

sNlvQFj.png

[spoiler=Theme Song]

sNlvQFj.png

"My whole life I've been hated for who I am, though, I suppose things are looking up recently..."

Name: Sabrina Villiers-Barthet

Gender: Female (although biologically her mutation has made her genderless)

[spoiler=Appearance]

UukFbE0.jpg

Height: 164 cm (5'4")

Weight: 46 kg (102 lbs)

A native of the French countryside Sabrina has always had very pale skin, and to compliment this she tends to dress in all white outfits. As a dancer, Sabrina has an athletic figure and is quite flexible. Having only recently started her transition Sabrina's breasts are still developing, and she refuses to go out in public without a thick layer of make-up. Sabrina also has a heavily stereotypically girly wardrobe and almost always wears a dress or skirt. While appearance wise Sabrina's mutation had little effect on her upon closer inspection one can tell that her body is completely devoid of hair, and her skin is deathly cold. Her skin is also noted as being unnaturally smooth, and feeling almost artificial. 

[spoiler=Personality]A relatively reserved person Sabrina tends to keep to herself, however, she is also not averse to interaction with others, and will engage in conversation if approached first. Sabrina is also not very expressive and much of speech is laced with sarcasm and dry humor. A cynic through and through Sabrina often views the world through a pessimistic lens and tends to assume the worst in people. Even among people who are friendly with her she often suspects them of having ulterior motives. Much of this stems her past, and is only made worse due to her depression. Slow to trust others Sabrina refuses to talk about her being transgender with anyone, though a small part of her hopes that one day she will feel safe enough to share this with her classmates.

Sabrina is also quite the pragmatist preferring to carry out action through the path of least resistance. Her decision-making process does not often take into to account the feelings, and does her best to keep her wits about her and act rationally in the face of hardship. At the same time, she is, when her depression isn't getting in the way, very dedicated, and when she says she is going to do something you can be damn well sure it's going to get done. While she also prefers to work alone if possible when completing tasks, however, if she does need to work in a group of people Sabrina will do her best to use each person's individual qualities to their best, but this mostly from a stance of effectiveness rather than an empathy or concern for others. As Sabrina is not a very emotionally involved person herself she is noted to often be emotionally insensitive, and while it is not out of malicious intention Sabrina often comes off as being harsh or mean. Due to this and her asocial tendencies, Sabrina has very few friends.

There are days on which even with the help of medication Sabrina's depression overwhelms her. These types of days are very obvious as Sabrina will suffer from an extreme loss of energy, and her normally top notch work ethic will be nowhere to be found. On these days she often struggles to concentrate and will be easily annoyed and even prone to outbursts of anger. That is if she can even make out of her room. Particularly bad days often leave Sabrina so drained that just getting out of bed is a struggle and performing basic tasks such eating or getting dressed would major accomplishments. Even on "normal" days for her Sabrina is often easily tired, and regularly naps in the middle of the day.

[spoiler=Biography]"Do I really have to do this...?"

"Fine if I must..."

"I suppose it would be best to start at the beginning. I was born in a small town in the French countryside, Ars en Re, ah... I do remember it quite fondly. My parents, they owned a bakery, the only one in town too. My childhood was quite blessed actually. Things were simpler back then. My parents always praised me, and I was ah... I believe you would say here la prunelle de leurs yeux... the apple of their eye. I was such a dutiful child, did everything I was told. You'd think that would've given me at least some leeway when I told them I was transgender, haha... c'est drole..."

"Mmm? How did I know? C'est grossier de votre part! Hahaha... je deconne, I'm kidding. Well, you see I always know I was different from the other kids. For one, I always preferred playing with the girls. Very stereotypical no? Ah, and I loved dressing up in my mother's old dresses. Very cute when I was a kid, ah, but when I grew up not so cute anymore you see. Ah and then there was what I was feeling inside. We were all teenagers hormones everywhere, and everybody had a crush on someone. Well, you see there was this boy. As soon as I saw him... ah! Coup de foudre! At first, I thought I was gay, but the more I thought the less it felt right. When I thought of myself in a relationship I didn't think of two boys, I thought of a boy and girl, except as you might imagine I was the girl. Well as you can also probably guess when I told my parents this they were none too pleased."

"I'll spare you the pretty details. We've been through that song dance already anyways, that's why you prescribed me these isn't it? But I'm getting off topic let's continue. Back to the boy. You see that's how my classmates found out. On Valentine's Day I confessed! Can you believe it, how much more cliched could I get. Ah, mais je digresse... Anyway, of course, he was quite disgusted that she-he lady boy had confessed to him. So, you know what he did. He rounded up all of his friends and they kicked the s*** out of me in the school yard. My day wasn't quite over then, though. I trudged him through the snow, and my parents were less than pleased. You see in a village of less 2000 people word travels quite fast. Of course, they were far more upset that I had embarrassed them and ruined their reputations than the fact that their child might have a broken rib."

Anyway let's fast forward a month later I suddenly just black out one day. I've been told that I was in a coma for about a week. Anyway, when I first woke up if it hadn't been for the heart monitor the doctors said they would've pronounced me dead. I mean I can't really tell, but I've been told that I'm a very cold person, both physically and emotionally. So, now the people of my town had double to reason to hate me, so I finally decided it was up and time to ditch that place. It wasn't really hard after that, especially when your super power let's basically print money and all. That's how I started paying for HRT. The rest is history I suppose now that I've been accepted into this school. It's supposed to be some sort of safe space for us to "foster our ability" or something lame like that, right?"

"Oh? Sommes-nous fait? C'est bien. Same time next week, Docteur?" [/spoiler]

[spoiler = Mutation - Queen's Crown] 

Classification: Telekinetic/Exergonic

Description: The primary function of Sabrina's mutation is the creation of gemstones. The shape and size of the gemstones is only limited by Sabrina's imagination, however, the creation of larger or more complex shapes is extremely taxing on Sabrina mentally, and she has been noted to faint due to the usage of this ability. As of right now Sabrina able to create constructs about the size of a baseball, and with little more complexity that one either. Her mutation also gives her telekinetic control over gemstones she creates, as well as being able to imbue them with energy which can cause them to explode about contact with other objects. Both of these actions however also quite mentally taxing on Sabrina and makes prolonged usage of her ability a difficult task.

Misc. Info

• Character Song:
  • Having lived in France much of her life Sabrina speaks with a heavy accent and will switch to her native French when distressed, or when she is unaware of the English form of what she wants to say
  • Sabrina's favorite past time is reading, and she can often be found in the Genome High library
  • Sabrina is currently taking Paxil, though even then at times her depression can be so severe that she struggles to even force herself out of bed 

posting a WIP

Slight sickness and some issues at home force me to delay my reviews a little further. You can expect them tomorrow by 5pm PST.

Also, we now have a Skype chat. If you aren't in it yet, message me on Skype. My contact is on my profile.

If a certain pair of avian (or any others) do not wish to use skype, that's totally fine. The chat will mostly serve a a place for discussion, and any need-to-know announcements will be posted in here as well for documentation purposes. Plus, I will do my best to relay any pertinent information from the chat to those outside.

[spoiler=Rainy Day]

HBYdk5p.jpg
"I think once I can control my power, I'd be fine never seeing another drop of rain in my life. Is this what Noah felt like?"

Name: Elly Hale

[spoiler=Appearance]d4O9062.jpg
Weight: 133 pounds

The most notable thing about Elly's appearance is perhaps her back. From the neck all the way down to her hips, Elly's back is covered in a line of white, fish-like scales. At a distance, these blend fairly well with her fair, bordering on pale skin tone. By contrast, this light skin is offset by dark brown hair - often with some form of accessory - and chocolately brown eyes. While Elly would normally keep her hair long, her uncontrolled power causing the air around  her to grow humid made long hair pretty uncomfortable. As a result, Elly's had her hair cut short since the mutation.

Hairpins, bows, and their kin aside, Elly's wardrobe isn't really anything to be impressed by. Her glasses have a tendency to get fogged up due to her mutation, often forcing her to wear them on her forehead to see. Visually, her most impressive clothes are probably the waterproof items she had to buy not long before taking off for Genome High as a countermeasure to the inevitable monster of a raincloud that would follow her on school grounds. Because there's no turning off her power, Elly is wearing her raincoat and boots a vast majority of the time, though she also keeps an umbrella handy for others to use while near her, or for her personal use if she's doing something that requires keeping nearby items dry.

Elly also owns a large backpack she bought along with the rain gear, which contains various books, a laptop computer, two flashlights (with five spare changes of batteries), and a compact tent with space for two. The purpose of the tent is to sleep outside in it so as to not inconvenience a roommate or herself with a flooded bedroom upon waking up in the morning, though it also makes for convenient cover for her books and/or laptop if something happens to her umbrella.

[spoiler=Personality]In a world powered entirely by "Elly-vision", the word "modest" does not exist; everybody is into everybody and nobody is afraid to act upon it. Much unlike her ideal world, however, Elly herself is very much a modest person. She's the sort of person who solves a complex puzzle you've been stuck on in about fifteen seconds, hands it back to you, then sheepishly says something like "It wasn't really that hard" or "I'm not a genius; you're making me blush." It's not that she lacks confidence, or at least not entirely since she does have some confidence issues, so much as she doesn't like being the center of attention. Elly much prefers to cheer somebody on from the sidelines, rather than being the one cheered on. To the end of passing off as a normal girl, Elly tries to play herself off as being a perfectly normal person with no interesting qualities or hobbies whatsoever. Her efforts are usually in vain.

Alongside her modesty, one of Elly's greatest traits is passion. When she gets into something, she finds herself going all-in and savoring every second of it. As a result, she could go on for days at a time about her hobbies or even herself if given the chance, and puts great amounts of trust and value in those who have the same hobbies as she does. While she will admit to liking such things as nature, crosswords, and haiku, her favorite thing is fiction. Elly's an avid reader and writer, with the two being her primary hobbies, though her interest mostly gets directed to "sinful" fanfiction if left to her own devices. "Sinful" is even the term she'll use for the sake of subtlety; Elly grew up with a very religious family, and has adopted some of the appropriate behaviors.

She prays before bed and every Sunday morning, and when in doubt, she turns to God for help. She encourages unconditional and universal love and peace for all, though there are a lot of religious matters Elly disagrees with. She's all for people being gay or worshipping other gods if that's what they want, and has actually taken the Lord's name in vain herself a few times, leaving her in no position to chastise others for it. By her own admittance, Elly and God are probably not on very good terms, not that it stops her from staying faithful. If the universe works the way Elly thinks it does, there's a solid ninety-eight percent chance she's going straight to the second circle of Hell when she dies, and she's accepted that. As a result, she takes sinful behavior pretty lightly, since she doesn't see herself in a position where she can tell others what is and isn't right.

[spoiler=Biography]
So uh, you know when you're in church you're supposed to call the priest Father, right? My priest, uhh, he actually is my father. I was born and raised in a small town in Arizona. My father is Father Michael Hale, and my mom is a politician. Things were strict growing up for me. I had to pray a lot, be a model student that would look good for politics, and stay on the right path. I did pretty good, I think, most of the time. In high school I, uh...strayed from the path? There was this girl who sat in front of me in math and, uh, well...don't make me say out loud, okay?

I never talked to her though. I don't even know her name for sure; I think it was Melody or something similar. Turns out, we were both Genomes. That solar flare hit during junior year and we both went into a coma. I heard she was only down for ten or eleven hours. I was in mine for three days. I woke up to my parents fighting. I don't know how many people still support Genomes - there might even only be one - but dad was one of them. He thought the mutation was God's will; we had some greater purpose here on this earth. Mom, uh...she wasn't so happy. After the accident in Italy, almost everyone started hating Genomes. Mom wanted to disown me and kick me out of the house, since being the mother of a Genome was bad for her campaigns and she didn't want me bringing bad luck to the family. Dad refused. For a whole month after the accident, they couldn't stop fighting, and I couldn't leave the house without somebody hating me for no reason other than I was a Genome. In the end, mom and dad got a divorce. She didn't even say goodbye. Just because I was born like this and couldn't do anything about it...they, uh...

I need a moment.

...now then, where was I? Dad took the divorce pretty well; way better than I ever could. He let me stay with him, even when regulars to the church were banging on the doors demanding he let them have me and send me back to where I came from. I wish everyone was like him. U-Um, sorry if I'm tearing up a bit, it's the mutation I swear. When the Genome High school opened up, he was a bit apprehensive. Pretty much everyone had shown us nothing but hate and disdain; why would this one man care so much? That's what dad would tell me. He didn't really want me to go, but I insisted. It's a good chance to meet people like me and be able to really live again, instead of sitting in the house all day. It's weird moving from Arizona to this island - especially with my mutation acting up here - but things are starting to look up for me. I hope the other students don't mind a bit of rain. I'm really no happier about it than they might be.

[spoiler=Mutation]Type: Telekinetic

Name: Hydromancy

Description: Elly's mutation grants her the ability to manipulate nearby water particles. With some proper training, this would actually be a pretty neat ability, granting her direct control over nearby water for any number of purposes. However, as she has yet to receive any proper training, Elly has no control over this ability, making it more of an inconvenience than anything. Due to the lack of control she has over her power, she's unable to turn it off or move water particles in a manner she desires. As a result, the particles just gather around her, making the air in her immediate area more humid and granting her a personal raincloud that hovers just a couple feet above her head. A potentially positive side-effect of this is that the air just outside her current range of power (~10 feet) will gradually be drained of its humidity.

In dry places with little to no water in the air, such as a desert or a burning building, Elly's powers range from weakened to inoperable. Inversely, places rich in water or moist air, such as a cottage near a lake or an island, make her (and unfortunately, her raincloud) much stronger. Having moved from a notably dry climate to an island for the sake of attending Genome High, Elly's got some adjusting to do in order to go on normally with her uncontrolled power.

[spoiler=Misc]Is lactose intolerant and lives on a vegetarian diet.

Blue is her favorite color.

Birthday is March 25th. Considers her Genome status as "God having really bad taste in gifts."

Aspires to become a nurse.

Co-host reporting for duty with first app of the RP.

[spoiler=Comedian with Wings]

TTe64aW.png"You know what you call a really happy bird? A raptor!"

Name: Naomi BlakeAge: 17Gender: Female

[spoiler=Appearance]X8Kuzss.pngHeight: 5'0"Weight: 43 poundsWingspan: 8'4"

Naomi's most defining feature is the large, gray pair of wings that protrude from the back of her hips. The exception to her generally wiry frame, Naomi's wings come complete with strong muscles, rough skin, and thick plumage for insulation. As a general rule, Naomi wears long coats in a similar gray to her wings, as it makes it easier to hide her wings under them. In a contrast to her wings, Naomi's hair is a dark brown, bordering black, with eyes of the same color. Complimenting this dark hair color is tanned skin with a slight reddish hue.

Those who catch a glimpse will see that Naomi's legs have rough, leathery skin; a big difference from the smooth skin present on the rest of her body. This rough skin - similar to her wings - extends all the way to her feet, which are quite unlike a regular human's. Naomi's feet have four toes each, with the outer toes able to rotate forward and backward. These toes - and Naomi's fingers as well - end in small, yet sharp talons. However, said glimpse won't be easily gained, as Naomi nigh-religiously wears long pants and socks alike to keep everything below her waist concealed from view.

[spoiler=Personality]A self-proclaimed comedy star, Naomi is the sort of girl who will find the humor in most anything, and craft a quick - often terrible - joke once she figures out a punchline. Most of the time, her sense of humor will prove crass and tactless, so her jokes probably won't fly so well with classier sorts. If it's not her usual crude humor, odds are Naomi's jokes consist more or less entirely of puns. Naomi love making puns and hearing them from others. As her drive for comedy might imply, Naomi is by no means a serious person. It'd be faster to list the things she actually takes seriously, but a positive side-effect of this is that it's pretty hard to make her mad. Naomi just laughs off most transgressions made against her, and might even use the incidents as future joke material!

With humans and Genomes alike, Naomi is a pretty straightforward girl. She says her mind, is a girl of few needs, and is easily read by others. Being somebody who doesn't like being treated differently just for being a Genome, she does her absolute best effort to give everybody equal treatment, Genome or not. That said, even Naomi isn't without bias; she's ever so slightly more friendly with fellow Genomes, and can be quite wary of humans. If she notices or even just thinks she's being rude with the latter, however, she'll make sure to apologize before anything else. It isn't that she dislikes them - Naomi used to be human too, after all - so much as having grown used to being treated like dirt by humans.

Befitting of her avian mutation, Naomi is actually a bit of a birdbrain. She's always been plenty of things, but smart was never among them. She makes dumb decisions if left to her own devices that she ends up regretting, only to make the exact same decisions later. She's prone to forgetting things if she doesn't pay attention, and if the world were run on cartoon physics, one could probably cook a meal on her head if Naomi were presented with a complex math problem. Naomi's an eager learner, though! It's just that she's really bad at learning. At the end of the day, however, Naomi just wants one thing out of life.

She just wants to be happy. Naomi's a girl who tries not to ask for much out of life or people, and most of her requests are pretty simple. She's also pretty patient when it comes down to it, not to mention low-maintenance. As long as she's got food, shelter, and a pal to make dumb jokes with, Naomi's content with her lot in life. Simply being contented with those three things is all she wants, both for herself and others.

[spoiler=Biography]You ever been on one of those Indian reservations? Good times, but probably not as crazy different from the big cities as you'd think, depending on the reservation. So guess what? I was born on one of those. The Squalli-Absch reservation up in Washington, near-ish to Olympia. You know what Squalli-Absch people really like? Salmon. I ate more total salmon before age ten than you probably will for your entire life and I could totally write you a cookbook of salmon recipes, but that's a different story. Yeah, I grew up on the Squalli-Absch reservation. Parents had some relatives in Olympia that would visit often and give us money if we were in a tight spot, so I can't really complain about how I grew up. Parents loved me, folks treated me well, I made friends with other kids pretty easy because let's face it I'm freakin' hilarious, and altogether it was a happy, quiet life.

Oh right, the whole "This is a story about Genomes!" deal. So, as you might have noticed, I'm a Genome. That whole solar flare a while back put me into a spooky cocoon-coma-type thing. I saw pictures and lemme tell you, it was pretty damn creepy. So I woke up after about a week and a half feeling like I'd lost some serious weight, but get this. I had wings. Wings, man! Adjusting to the rest of the stuff like a new pair of feet was tough, but I was stoked. My family? Not so much. I had no idea what was going on and freaked out a bit with the whole "I won't let one of those damn Genomes live under my roof!" rant I got to wake up to. I cried a lot that day. It sucked. Aunt and uncle in Olympia wouldn't take me, parents wanted nothing to do with me, hell the rest of my reservation didn't even acknowledge me when I said hi. So I cried a bit more before growing a pair, going into the old house one last time to get whatever I could stuff into one duffel bag, then I literally flew off. Once I was out of dodge, I flew over to Tacoma. Quite a trip; my wings ached for days once I finally landed. My time in Tacoma was spent doing a mixed basket of good and bad things. One one hand, crime was down a bit once a flying vigilante took to the streets. Of course, that probably doesn't excuse that I had to steal, trespass, and extort to get by. Could you imagine if they checked my ID or something? They'd probably lynch me on the spot! I bet some Genomes would be really pissed with how extreme the xenophobia is, but instead of going all super-scary Magneto "savior of Genomes" and trying to kill humans before they could kill us, I wanted to be a good example that we're not all bad people. Plan didn't quite pay off.

See I wasn't the only one prowling the streets of Tacoma in search of bad guys. Somewhere in June, one vigilante catching me trying to save some lady from a mugger, then accusing me of being the actual mugger was all it took for every crook, cop, vigilante, and bounty hunter in Tacoma to want some Kentucky-Fried Naomi for lunch. So I had to fly off again. Only this time, people seriously wanted me dead. Like an entire city's worth of people. sheet was pretty scary; they had helicopters and everything. But, despite the entire city of Tacoma going on a full-blown Genome-hunt, I managed to slip out of town, when I met this other Genome on the road further north to Canada; turns out we both thought they'd be a bit more accepting of Genomes. She was pretty cool. She had the power to move her skeleton outside of her body! It was really gross but how cool is that!? We were road buddies for a bit, and we learned a lot about each other along the way. Never exchanged names though, weird enough. We just called each other "Bodybag" and "Vulture" to tease each other at first and the names kinda stuck.

Anyway get this. We pass through most of Washington easy-peasy, but there's so much crap at the Canadian border! I swear Canada turned into a fortress or something, because getting through the border without getting caught was stupid hard. So we get there and have no idea where to go, so we just start sneaking onto trains. Not a bad time really; nobody questioned us and as long as I kept my wings and feet out of sight, nobody suspected a thing. We keep up the hitchiking gig for a month or so until we're caught. Some creepy old dude opened the coat I was wearing, revealing my wings for all to see. So not only did that happen, but the train went into a riot. Bodybag actually got shot a few times on the way out. I patched her up as best I could, but she insisted we split up after that incident. I just really hope she didn't die because of me...

Right right, my life story! Thing is, there's not much to say after the train incident. I picked up the vagabond act again until the end of the month when Mr. Henry announced that school for Genomes. Over the last four months, I've been disowned, held at knifepoint, gunpoint, and a whole bunch of other points, had to illegally slip into a foreign nation, got sexually harrassed by an old man, and might have gotten the one friend I had over those months killed in my place. I can say "things weren't so bad" all I want, but honestly it's sucked. But hey, we've got a fancy new school going up for us so we can prove to society that we aren't bad people. Now that I've survived through August and the very start of September to see the place open, I can finally say things are looking up again.

[spoiler=Mutation]Avian Anatomy: While it's certainly the most obvious part of her mutation, wings aren't the only thing Naomi got treated to during her brief coma. Excluding her wings, the greatest change to Naomi's body was in her feet, the structure of which has entirely changed. Rather than a human's five-toed foot, Naomi's feet are bird-like pamprodactyl feet, meaning each foot has four toes, with the outer toes able to rotate forward and backward alike. Each of these toes is fairly long, and ends in a small talon capable of ripping flesh. The skin on Naomi's feet and legs has also grown rough and leathery. She's not really proud of her new lower body, and makes an active effort to keep her legs and feet hidden from view.

While her hands still have five fingers, Naomi's fingernails have also become small talons, though it's hard to tell the difference if she clips them regularly. With Genome High opening up, Naomi's finally been able to relax on the fingertalon front, allowing them to grow into the little rippers they're meant to be. Also similar to a bird, Naomi's skeleton has adopted a honeycomb structure, decreasing her weight considerably and allowing her to fly. However, this has the side effect of her bones breaking far more easily than a regular person's.

Another change, albeit minor at a glance, is that this mutation has given Naomi exceptional vision, beyond the scope of what a human would otherwise be capable of. The muscles in Naomi's wings also pack some pretty powerful muscles. Combined with her light weight, and not factoring in weather, she's been able to fly at speeds up to 60 miles per hour. Diving speed yet to be recorded.

[spoiler=Misc]Wings are very ticklish. This is a secondary reason Naomi generally tries to keep her wings hidden from view.

we have discussed her at length. Accepted.

[spoiler=Laurent Clark]

VhmUqbm.png

"This still counts as a high school diploma, right?"

Name: Laurent Clark

[spoiler=Appearance]

i__m_digging_that_strut_son__i_like_your

5'4"

124lbs

After emerging from his cocoon, Laurent had shrunk 2 inches and every hair on his body, eyelashes and all, was silver. 

[spoiler=Personality]

Laurent has always felt an overwhelming urge to be in control. He prefers to drive rather than sit in the passenger's seat. He prefers to cook rather than to order food at a restaurant. He prefers to do all the work in a group project and then write everyone else's names on it. In essence, Laurent just doesn't really trust people. Don't mistake this mistrust of people for a dislike of people because Laurent doesn't necessarily dislike people. Albeit, Laurent's personality definitely takes some getting used to. However, the fact that he is controlling doesn't mean isn't kind or thoughtful. 

In fact, because he is so controlling, and be extension wants things to be perfect, Laurent pays extra attention to an individuals' likes and dislikes, their emotions, and the general state of their well-being. As a friend, Laurent can actually be quite sweet and sensitive. He will always know your favorite meal and how to cook. He'll know your favorite movie and exactly how to make you laugh.

As one might expect, Laurent does not handle failure or unexpected complications well. He has never really developed a coping mechanism for failure and instead just avoids it. When he can't he readily denies it and when that inevitably fails he wallows in it for an extended amount of time until eventually the shock just wears it. He never really lets things go, though. 

When someone hurts Laurent he tends to hold it against them. Call it a grudge or whatever, but he just doesn't appreciate being made a fool of. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...," all that crap. This works both ways, however, and goes hand in hand with his inability to accept failure. If Laurent hurts someone else, he tends to feel incredibly guilty about it.

[spoiler=Biography]

"It's funny, I guess, because I thought I had it all figured out. I was going to finish high school at the top of my class. Go to the most prestigious college I could. Marry my long-term boyfriend. Hopefully figure out what I actually wanted to be along the way, but if not then I could always go into business. That, of course, went to s*** when the sun popped a massive boner and I became a butterfly's awkward teenage years. It's the type of irony that only the unseen audience of this massively f***ed up comedy can truly appreciate. 

I was in that chrysalis for 4 days. Did you know that when a caterpillar goes into its cocoon it's entire physical body is actually chemically broken down and then put back together? Of course, they don't know for sure if that's what happened to me, yet, but it's a hypothesis. A horrifying one at that.  And you know, I thought coming out as gay was difficult, but it doesn't compare to coming out as a mutant. For one thing, in 2028 most people have moved passed the 'gay thing'. However, the 'mutant thing'. The world was quick to latch onto that one.

I've got to hand it to my mom though. She's tough. She was there when I first broke out of the cocoon and has been by my side ever since. She got me into special doctors. Therapists. She punched a reporter in the jaw. My mom is kind of a badass. She moved my kid brother and I around for a couple months after what happened in March just trying to keep me safe. We went from Providence to Newport to Plymouth to Buffalo. Of course, we couldn't fly anywhere. Not after I accidentally caused a bus crash in early April. Complete accident, I swear. I only suggested that the bus take a break, I could tell it was tired. One moment we were going 60 down the highway, then...BAM! Brakes lock. Huge mess. 4 people in critical condition. 21 people injured. Honestly? I am lucky no one died.

So yeah, no planes. Even driving is incredibly stressful for me. One time, my mom took my brother and I to a Subway for dinner and the lady in front of us was talking on her cell phone. Talking, talking, talking. Her two kids were pulling at her clothes, it was obvious they were hungry and impatient, I think one of them had to go to the bathroom real bad. And I kept thinking, just hang up the phone lady. Pay attention to your damned kids. Then...BAM! Her phone starts smoking. Thank God she pulled it away from her face because the thing practically explodes, sparks and little bits of Apple hardware going everywhere.

Being out in public is hard for me. Technology is everywhere and it does all kinds of crazy s*** around me. Plus, ya know, it gets really, um, well it makes me feel kind of crazy sometimes. You know? Just hearing all the chatter? I can close it out most of the time, but one time Mom thought we could hole up in this little apartment in New York City. That was a big nope. So much noise there. Hell, I practically went catatonic. She got me out of there real fast. It was around then that she decided that I needed to go somewhere safer for me. Some place where I could learn about whatever I am. 

I swear the only reason I got into this school is because my mom made them take me. I wouldn't be surprised if she had beat Leopold Henry over the head himself until he accepted my registration." 

[spoiler=Mutation]

Major Classification: Extracognitive

Minor Classification: Telekinetic

Technopathy: It appears that Laurent's primary mutation allow him to communicate and control machines by establishing a mental interface with them. As described by Laurent himself, he is able to "hear" what a machine is "thinking" and communicate with it directly. His ability faces variability in the face of more complex machine, firewalls, increased stressed, physical distance, and other psychic interference. 

Cyberkinesis: Laurent has also demonstrated the ability of being able to manipulate small components of technology, like making small pieces of smart phone rearrange themselves into something else. This ability has been recorded as distinctly different from magnekinesis, electro-magnekinesis, and ferrokinesis. Laurent's cyberkinetic abilities are extremely limited. For example, he could not rearrange the pieces of a car into a Transformer, he might be able to mess with some parts in the engine, however. 

[spoiler=Miscellaneous]

- Laurent converses with Siri on his phone, using his ability to have actual conversations with her.

- While Laurent and his boyfriend technically never broke up, Erin hasn't returned his last 12 calls or 32 text messages. The last time they saw each other was when Laurent was in the hospital getting tests done on him after becoming a Genome. Things aren't really looking up for them. 

- Before getting his abilities, Laurent wasn't particularly good with technology or machines. Even now his understanding of tech doesn't come from a worldly knowledge, but rather an inherent psychic understanding. 

Fantastic. As I said before, Laurent is just the sort of character I was hoping for. His personality flaws are significant and realistic, and tie in great with the themes I am aiming for. Accepted.

[spoiler=Vantablack]

4leGk5O.png?1

"I don't think you should need to see my face to tell I don't care."

Name: Samuel Young

[spoiler=Appearance]

f3zGsmy.png

Weight: 118 lbs

Once upon a time, Sam was very fair-skinned, sporting dark brown hair and striking blue eyes. Of course, his mutation took these features away. As a result of his mutation, Samuel's skin (as well as all of his body tissue, for that matter) is black. Not black like ethnicity, not like a sharpie, not like the blackest paint you have ever seen. Just... black. An absolute absence of color. Because of this, his facial features cannot be distinguished by sight, aside from outlines gleaned from when he is silhouetted against a backdrop. Rather than having any sort of blemishes, his skin is incredibly smooth. As a matter of fact, it doesn't particularly feel like flesh at all, due to a complete lack of pores or body hair. Instead, it has a texture akin to polished stone, or brushed carbon fiber polymer, albeit with the consistency and flex of normal human skin. Due to the nature of his mutation, he is almost constantly warm to the touch. The color has faded from the hair on his head, leaving it a bland grey, with slight hints of his previous brunette.

[spoiler=Personality]

Samuel takes the concept of "introvert" to an entirely new extreme. It isn't so much a case of him being afraid of human interaction. More than anything else, it is just a pleasantry he never excelled in, and he didn't feel the need to bother much with improving that. Even online, where he spent most of his time, he always acted as an observer. He read quite a lot, and partook in various forms of art, but never made and effort to share his own talents or interests. He doesn't hold fast in his opinions, due to a general, quiet disinterest in the world around him, instead sitting back and watching events unfold around him. This outsider mentality contributes to one of his hobbies (or the closest thing he has of the sort,) which is people-watching. He watches the other human beings around him do the things they do, quietly narrating it in his head, idly wondering how each of them worked.

Though he generally avoids social situations, they do not make him particularly uncomfortable, and he partakes in the standard social interactions that are just a part of life. Saying "excuse me" as he passes by someone, pointless chit-chat with the cashier at the grocery store, speaking his part in group presentations, et cetera. In candid conversations, Sam is observably disinterested in most things, and reacts with mild sarcasm to efforts to make a connection to him. Though he is not particularly egotistical (his neutral opinion of himself matches his feelings for most things) he often appear to be such, due to his general lack of caring for what others think, beyond a base level of curiosity. His blunt manner of speaking certainly does not help this.

[spoiler=Biography]

"I suppose this is the part where we talk about ourselves? I guess it is easier than for us to be described by an outside narrator, but don't you think this is a little bit played out? Never mind, it seems we are pretty far down the rabbit hole with this trope anyway, so I may as well play along. When in Rome, I suppose."

"I was raised in a small town in Nova Scotia. It's... not terribly exciting, but I doubt I would be too enthralled even if it were. I am an only child, and my family is small. We don't really associate with my extended family because, to quote, 'It's complicated Sammy, but we don't need them. Your dad and I love you very much, and that's all that matters.' To be completely fair, my mother was right, at least in regards to our family not needing outside support. The rest is pretty subjective, and I don't think I would need to weigh in on it for this. In any case, as I was saying, by no means did we need support. My father is a very prominent lawyer, and my mother was a successful civil engineer in Halifax before she became pregnant with me and retired, moving to this suburb of a suburb."

"My early life was, in a word, boring. I am reasonably intelligent, so school wasn't much of a chore. I didn't feel a need to forge incredible friendships with my peers. After all, they were just as boring as myself. In Nova Scotia, education in French is a fairly standard curriculum. The language isn't a commonly used here as some other provinces, so I didn't put much effort into learning it. I and understand it reasonably well, but I was never able to perform the correct inflection to speak it fluently. After I reached a reasonable age 3 or 4 years ago, I began to spend much of my time on the internet, frequenting various messaging boards. I spent all of my free time in this. The psychiatrist my parents briefly employed believed this was a form of escapism, but I sincerely disagree. I wasn't trying to escape reality, rather I simply found what I saw online more interesting, so I devoted more attention to it. It is simple economic theory, really. As a matter of fact, I made sure not to absorb myself in these communities. Though, I'll admit, it was quite amusing watching all the faces behind the keyboards scramble to find some form of camaraderie."

"I imagine at this point in autobiography, most of the students are saying something along the lines of, 'but the the solar flare happened, and everything changed,' but quite honestly that simply isn't the case at all. I mean, I look like half-edited footage for some b-rate hybrid CGI film, but I don't think my appearance was ever terribly relevant. I was in the cocoon for something around 130 hours, but that's really only an estimate. Since I am typically a bit of a recluse, I had been in the cocoon for (what is presumed to be) several hours in my room before being discovered. After I came out, well, you already know how my mutation works. I'm quite literally a black body. If I had any interest in it, and the world didn't despise my kind, I could probably make a career modelling for advertisements for retro-style music players. The doctors were quite perplexed by my mutation. Their x-rays didn't work. Neither did MRI. Eventually they figured out that they could get semi-accurate readings from ultrasound, and confirmed that my insides are a damn mess. I suppose that isn't surprising when I am basically a plant."

"After all that mess, I just came back home. From what I understand, the world hates all of us "Genomes" because of some guy in Russia or something, but that doesn't really affect me. The last few months I have been doing online school to make up for all the time lost with the pointless doctor visits, so I haven't left my room much at all. Since I no longer have any form of digestive system, and receive all my sustenance from my overhead lamp, there hasn't been much need for it. Honestly, it has been pretty convenient. I had never realized how much of a hassle eating was. If I was the type to make cliche statements, I would say things are looking up. Of course, I ended up being invited/accepted (not sure exactly how it works, I haven't paid very close attention) to some fancy school in the middle of nowhere. So I guess that sums up what you would want to know." 

[spoiler=Mutation]

Classification: Exergonic

Vantablack: Samuel's body tissues completely absorb electromagnetic radiation, with the only exception being his iris, which remains transparent to allow light to reach his retinas. All forms of light that strike his surface are completely absorbed. This means his body is impenetrable to visible light, radio, x-rays, and any other kind of conventional imaging system. His internal structures could only be determined through extensive use of ultrasound.

This constant absorption of energy is not without upside, however. In a process similar to photosynthesis, Samuel's body derives all the energy it needs through absorbed electromagnetic radiation. Furthermore, with extensive focus, he is able to generate small amounts of electromagnetic radiation. This can range from a faint glow of visible light to a low-wavelength EMP. These releases, along with black-body radiation, are how Samuel's body expels excess energy, as he cannot "turn off" his mutation.

[spoiler=Misc.]

Ambient Theme

Samuel's favorite style of art is Orphism.

Samuel can understand French, but cannot speak it well.

Best character. 10/10. Accepted.

[spoiler=Even as mutants, teenagers are still messy and emotional]

"I exchanged a stable and planned future for pale skin and the ability to be a human fridge... great."

Name: Nathan Walsh

[spoiler=Appearance]

tumblr_nykyzdamb01uu8wmho1_540.jpg

HEIGHT: 5'7"

WEIGHT: 123 lb

After the mutation his skin lost all melanin and turned much more sensitive meaning that direct contact with sunlight easily irritates his skin or if prolonged burns him.

He has ash blond hair and brown eyes usually accompanied by dark circles (he has accepted the "haven't slept since last century" look). He has a lanky build and often wears black clothes and cardigans.

[spoiler=Personality] Nathan is a cold person (ironically, after the mutation literally). He doesn't like human contact and is detached from people his age trying to keep most information about him hidden. Since he was little he had a general dislike towards people since kids his age isolated him and his family treated him as a living trophy. Even with his few friends he has a general detachment as he thinks they only care about him for his money.

He's a perfectionist and always sets his standards for himself too high, this created a vicious cycle where the only result was a low self-esteem. Since birth his family pushed him to be extremely ambitious, they wanted the best education for him so he could become the perfect heir of the family's company.

Despite his cold behavior he's a hopeless romantic and hopes to find a boyfriend who can "melt" his ice-cold heart.

[spoiler=Biography] Since birth Nathan wasn't normal: he was born intellectually gifted and dysgraphic. His talent at school and family name usually deterred kids from befriending him, as they assumed he was a snobby brat who thought he was better than everybody else.

If the situation at school was poor, the situation at home was even worse; His parents were always expecting the best from him and would punish if he didn't get amazing grades or if his behavior was anything less than expected from the child of such a respected family. They always planned for him to become the heir to the family's company, to have a perfect wife and, since he was an only child, to continue the legacy of the family. He didn't want any of that, he didn't want a life of big fancy dinners and, although he liked not having to worry about the future, for sure didn't want to have the pressure of the family company. He always kept these thoughts to himself because only God knows what his father would do to him if he found out he wasn't the trophy child he raised him to be.

Later at the beginning of high school, Nathan figured out he was gay. This was another thing he kept secret from his parents, he would be even more of a disappointment if he couldn't even carry the family name onward. Luckily in high school he started making a few friends but even the relationship he had with them was troubled as experiences with past "friends" made him believe they liked him just because of his money. 

Life continued like this, his self-destructive cycle and anxiety about being forced into an unwanted life were always present. That was until the day of the mutation.

When his parents found out what he turned into, that he was a mutant, they practically disowned him. They sent him to live with one of the family servants until the school for Genome High was founded where they instantly sent him to as a way to get rid of him.

Now that he doesn't have his father constantly breathing on his neck, he hopes things will be looking up.

[spoiler=Mutation]

Type: Exergonic

Heat Absorption (or as Nathan calls it: Human Fridge):

Nathan can absorb heat from anything his skin touches. He's able to turn anything he touches to (currently) 0°C. This also means that his body is constantly cold. Due to this he can handle colder climates much better than others. Now that he is untrained he is constantly absorbing heat involuntarily and he can't control the speed at which he absorbs heat.

[spoiler=Misc.]

Character Theme

• Nathan is a night owl and rarely goes to bed before 1AM, this is what gave him his very deep dark circles.
  • He enjoys photography and owns a camera.
  • Since he left home, he always has his nails painted black
  • He loves tattoos and if it wasn't for his parents he would already have multiple.
More misc. stuff may come later

Whew, it's been forever since I Rped and even longer since. I made a male character. I hope this isn't a terrible app.

Gonna need some tweaking. As it is currently, he just feels like an edgy Laurent. Also, so a little further with the physical mutation. Laurent is an exception to the extent of deformities, don't use it as an example. If you want suggestions or input, feel free to ask in the group chat. Full of brilliant people.

[spoiler=Sweet Emotions]

x393wz.jpg

P7G6QAP.png

"The sun lets off some steam and what happens? I get this dumb power. Talk about a rip off!"

x393wz.jpg

Personal Information

Name: Lloyd Jones

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Appearance]

V5zJzPU.png

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 120 lbs

Depicted above is Lloyd's general appearance, clothing wise as well.

After emerging from his cocoon, the only immediate noticeable mutation to his body was the new sixth finger on his left hand. Also something to note is that Lloyd has been pale ever since his emergence, and no matter how hard he's tried, he can't get a tan to save his life. Another little mutation to note is his eyes. While at first glance, they aren't all that special, if Lloyd's emotions shift in anyway, the colors of his eyes will change to the color representing that emotion.

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Personality]

Before the mutation, Lloyd was pretty much a closed book, not really opening up to anyone...let alone show anyone what he was feeling. In short, before the craziness happened, Lloyd was your normal everyday teen trying to go through life: just trying to skate by through and not necessarily wanting to talk about his feelings.

However, after the mutation, it was a lot different. Instead of talking about his own feelings, Lloyd tends to talk to others about their own feelings (i.e., asking someone why their sad or even what they're anticipating). Though at the same time, the questions do come back to him due to his eye colors usually changing in regards to his own emotions. When these happen, Lloyd is always reluctant to talk about them, due to him not exactly learning it was alright to talk about a subject like that when its pointed at you. Nevertheless, Lloyd is almost resentful at the powers he's gotten through this whole ordeal, namely because of the powers he's seen other Genomes being able to use. Thus, he usually mentions about how jealous he is when he sees some Genomes' powers and abilities.

Though before and afters aside, Lloyd still is a quiet young man that tries to keep to himself, only having small lapses of ADHD/ADD when he sees the emotions of others via his power. He is quite intelligent, trying his best to keep his grades and GPA at a high enough level, even though sometimes he lacks the energy to want to try (#teenproblems, what are ya gonna do?). Lloyd, although doesn't display it all that much, does have a soft spot for people who are in a worse off position than he is, the underdogs and even misfits. Therefore, he tries his best to help those types of people or Genomes out in any way he can. He constantly has headaches and is usually always seen popping a few aspirin to take care of them.

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Biography]

Jeez where do I even start with this? I suppose the beginning is the best thing...just so I can tell you about how I was jibbed out of a real mutation and power.

High school, cause sure, ALL great superpower stories start there. I was coming home from class...alright it was detention, cause I punched a kid. All I was doing was trying to keep him from talking to me too much and they ended up sending me to detention just cause I wanted to be left alone...yeah me being left alone is an issue with my family, my dad is an ass, but I'm getting away from the point. I head home and guess what? The sun decides to have a quick spas attack and next thing I know, or told rather, I dropped on the ground in a coma.

Naturally, at this point people would be going: "NO WAY!! The sun just put me in a cocoon! This is some straight up comic book stuff!"...and to be honest, I felt the same way. I woke up out of the coma and popped out like a butterfly from a cocoon about...I wanna say it was 3 or 4 days later. And for the sake of argument, I was pumped about this. I had heard from my mom and sister that the same thing had been happening all over the globe and the individuals would have some mutations and powers. Naturally I wanted to see what I had...and boy...was I EVER disappointed.

Let me paint you the picture. I'm trying to see what I got...and literally I see nothing until I look at my left hand. Six fingers and a thumb. Look at my right hand, five and a thumb. Literally that's ALL I got in the range of mutations, that I saw for the moment. Needless to say I was furious. I looked in the mirror after this discovery and saw my eyes turning red. And not red as in you cry too much or rub them a lot, I'm talking irises turning red red! I immediately thought I was being possessed or something, but when I happened to be shocked by the revelation, guess what? My eyes changed color again, this time to like a sage green. So great, I thought to myself, my mutation is pretty much an extra finger and my eyes changing from one color to another based on how I feel...yeah, I was totally jibbed.

Oh but it got even better. That's when I found my awesome power out...and yes, sarcasm on that was intentional. Turns out that I could see a blue and yellow aura around my mother and sister...blue for sadness and yellow for joy. Yeah, I had clairempathy. I gotta stop for a moment to ask, have you ever seen a clairempath in comics much? If you said yes, then you know how disappointing this was. I mean, C'MON! Reports of people having animal-esque features, controlling elements, and whatnot. What can I do? I can see emotions... Hoo....ray... And if that wasn't bad enough, I constantly had splitting headaches because of seeing so many emotional auras. Yaaaaay...

So I literally had the easy life as a Genome. Sure, people picked on me and avoided me like the plague, but at least this whole ordeal could've given me something to work with. Flight? Maybe teleporting? Hell! I would've went for being a master underwater basket weaver!!

I digress, it wasn't until later that my mom got me enrolled at Genome High, a school for gifted youngsters (man that sounds comic book as hell), against my father's wishes mind you, and I was off. All I really hope is that things will be looking up for me. Maybe I can ACTUALLY find some good uses for this lame power. Maybe some offensive and defensive ways to use it...one can freakin' hope.

x393wz.jpg

Mutation Information

x393wz.jpg

Major Classification: Extrasensory

Minor Classification: N/A

x393wz.jpg

[spoiler=Mutation]

Clairempathy: A strange mutation to have, Lloyd has the power to detect/see emotional resonances from individuals. Now grant it, he doesn't see it physically like a person sees physical objects, but rather, he sees aura around the people...each aura being a different color based on those shown by Plutchik's wheel of emotions. For example, say he sees a young man looking at a young girl. Via clairempathy, he can see the young man's aura in the color of a mixture of yellow (joy) and lime (trust) which would end up being the color combination for love.

However, there are limitations to Lloyd using this ability. The main one being, massive headaches. While not a huge limitation, between the massive headaches and strains on Lloyd's brain, they make him want to keep using this power to a minimum.

x393wz.jpg

Misc. Information

x393wz.jpg

Lloyd's Theme | Battle Theme

• Lloyd is the first character I've developed who doesn't necessarily have any combat experience nor any offensive powers. Something else to note is that his Clairempathy doesn't at all help in regards to defense either.
  • Due to him constantly having massive headaches due to his mutation, Lloyd has with him at all times a bottle of aspirin.
  • Lloyd is a huge nerd and usually keeps a small variety of comics in his bag (both DC and Marvel alike).

I like a lot of what Lloyd brings to the table, particularly his anger over his mutation. Similar to Laurent, he plays into the themes I want. Accepted.

luana.html

Luana is a great start, but her mutation needs some work. Message me, I will explain my ideas.

[spoiler=Rainy Day]

HBYdk5p.jpg"I think once I can control my power, I'd be fine never seeing another drop of rain in my life. Is this what Noah felt like?"

Name: Elly HaleAge: 17Gender: Female[spoiler=Appearance]d4O9062.jpgHeight: 5'6"Weight: 133 poundsThe most notable thing about Elly's appearance is perhaps her back. From the neck all the way down to her hips, Elly's back is covered in a line of white, fish-like scales. At a distance, these blend fairly well with her fair, bordering on pale skin tone. By contrast, this light skin is offset by dark brown hair - often with some form of accessory - and chocolately brown eyes. While Elly would normally keep her hair long, her uncontrolled power causing the air around  her to grow humid made long hair pretty uncomfortable. As a result, Elly's had her hair cut short since the mutation.Hairpins, bows, and their kin aside, Elly's wardrobe isn't really anything to be impressed by. Her glasses have a tendency to get fogged up due to her mutation, often forcing her to wear them on her forehead to see. Visually, her most impressive clothes are probably the waterproof items she had to buy not long before taking off for Genome High as a countermeasure to the inevitable monster of a raincloud that would follow her on school grounds. Because there's no turning off her power, Elly is wearing her raincoat and boots a vast majority of the time, though she also keeps an umbrella handy for others to use while near her, or for her personal use if she's doing something that requires keeping nearby items dry.Elly also owns a large backpack she bought along with the rain gear, which contains various books, a laptop computer, two flashlights (with five spare changes of batteries), and a compact tent with space for two. The purpose of the tent is to sleep outside in it so as to not inconvenience a roommate or herself with a flooded bedroom upon waking up in the morning, though it also makes for convenient cover for her books and/or laptop if something happens to her umbrella.

[spoiler=Personality]In a world powered entirely by "Elly-vision", the word "modest" does not exist; everybody is into everybody and nobody is afraid to act upon it. Much unlike her ideal world, however, Elly herself is very much a modest person. She's the sort of person who solves a complex puzzle you've been stuck on in about fifteen seconds, hands it back to you, then sheepishly says something like "It wasn't really that hard" or "I'm not a genius; you're making me blush." It's not that she lacks confidence, or at least not entirely since she does have some confidence issues, so much as she doesn't like being the center of attention. Elly much prefers to cheer somebody on from the sidelines, rather than being the one cheered on. To the end of passing off as a normal girl, Elly tries to play herself off as being a perfectly normal person with no interesting qualities or hobbies whatsoever. Her efforts are usually in vain.Alongside her modesty, one of Elly's greatest traits is passion. When she gets into something, she finds herself going all-in and savoring every second of it. As a result, she could go on for days at a time about her hobbies or even herself if given the chance, and puts great amounts of trust and value in those who have the same hobbies as she does. While she will admit to liking such things as nature, crosswords, and haiku, her favorite thing is fiction. Elly's an avid reader and writer, with the two being her primary hobbies, though her interest mostly gets directed to "sinful" fanfiction if left to her own devices. "Sinful" is even the term she'll use for the sake of subtlety; Elly grew up with a very religious family, and has adopted some of the appropriate behaviors.She prays before bed and every Sunday morning, and when in doubt, she turns to God for help. She encourages unconditional and universal love and peace for all, though there are a lot of religious matters Elly disagrees with. She's all for people being gay or worshipping other gods if that's what they want, and has actually taken the Lord's name in vain herself a few times, leaving her in no position to chastise others for it. By her own admittance, Elly and God are probably not on very good terms, not that it stops her from staying faithful. If the universe works the way Elly thinks it does, there's a solid ninety-eight percent chance she's going straight to the second circle of Hell when she dies, and she's accepted that. As a result, she takes sinful behavior pretty lightly, since she doesn't see herself in a position where she can tell others what is and isn't right.

[spoiler=Biography]So uh, you know when you're in church you're supposed to call the priest Father, right? My priest, uhh, he actually is my father. I was born and raised in a small town in Arizona. My father is Father Michael Hale, and my mom is a politician. Things were strict growing up for me. I had to pray a lot, be a model student that would look good for politics, and stay on the right path. I did pretty good, I think, most of the time. In high school I, uh...strayed from the path? There was this girl who sat in front of me in math and, uh, well...don't make me say out loud, okay?I never talked to her though. I don't even know her name for sure; I think it was Melody or something similar. Turns out, we were both Genomes. That solar flare hit during junior year and we both went into a coma. I heard she was only down for ten or eleven hours. I was in mine for three days. I woke up to my parents fighting. I don't know how many people still support Genomes - there might even only be one - but dad was one of them. He thought the mutation was God's will; we had some greater purpose here on this earth. Mom, uh...she wasn't so happy. After the accident in Italy, almost everyone started hating Genomes. Mom wanted to disown me and kick me out of the house, since being the mother of a Genome was bad for her campaigns and she didn't want me bringing bad luck to the family. Dad refused. For a whole month after the accident, they couldn't stop fighting, and I couldn't leave the house without somebody hating me for no reason other than I was a Genome. In the end, mom and dad got a divorce. She didn't even say goodbye. Just because I was born like this and couldn't do anything about it...they, uh...I need a moment.............now then, where was I? Dad took the divorce pretty well; way better than I ever could. He let me stay with him, even when regulars to the church were banging on the doors demanding he let them have me and send me back to where I came from. I wish everyone was like him. U-Um, sorry if I'm tearing up a bit, it's the mutation I swear. When the Genome High school opened up, he was a bit apprehensive. Pretty much everyone had shown us nothing but hate and disdain; why would this one man care so much? That's what dad would tell me. He didn't really want me to go, but I insisted. It's a good chance to meet people like me and be able to really live again, instead of sitting in the house all day. It's weird moving from Arizona to this island - especially with my mutation acting up here - but things are starting to look up for me. I hope the other students don't mind a bit of rain. I'm really no happier about it than they might be.

[spoiler=Mutation]Type: TelekineticName: HydromancyDescription: Elly's mutation grants her the ability to manipulate nearby water particles. With some proper training, this would actually be a pretty neat ability, granting her direct control over nearby water for any number of purposes. However, as she has yet to receive any proper training, Elly has no control over this ability, making it more of an inconvenience than anything. Due to the lack of control she has over her power, she's unable to turn it off or move water particles in a manner she desires. As a result, the particles just gather around her, making the air in her immediate area more humid and granting her a personal raincloud that hovers just a couple feet above her head. A potentially positive side-effect of this is that the air just outside her current range of power (~10 feet) will gradually be drained of its humidity.In dry places with little to no water in the air, such as a desert or a burning building, Elly's powers range from weakened to inoperable. Inversely, places rich in water or moist air, such as a cottage near a lake or an island, make her (and unfortunately, her raincloud) much stronger. Having moved from a notably dry climate to an island for the sake of attending Genome High, Elly's got some adjusting to do in order to go on normally with her uncontrolled power.

[spoiler=Misc]Is lactose intolerant and lives on a vegetarian diet.Blue is her favorite color.Birthday is March 25th. Considers her Genome status as "God having really bad taste in gifts."Aspires to become a nurse.

Yeah, going through with her was my idea, and she turned out great. Accepted.

Archived