Mobile Suit Gundam: Broken Arrow [IC/PG-16+]

BANZAI!!!!

"Affirmative, Doc."

"Please, call me Reveka. There's really no need for you to be so formal with me. Arthur might run a tight ship, but this is far from a military vessel." Reveka walked just ahead of Selardi leading the girl down the halls of the Arrowhead.

"It is odd, accepting a stranger or prisoner like me into this ship this easily. What should I do to stay here? I am not good with any sort of work, but I believe this body would still have some ability to serve others in this ship, albeit perhaps it will not fulfill everyone's preferences."

"Oh, that really won't be necessary," Reveka stopped to look down at Sela before smiling gently. "You don't need to worry about finding something to do so quickly, I'm sure we'll be able to find something for you to do that won't require you to, ah, serve others. Like I said the Arrowhead's not so picky about her crew, and besides... if you had anything unsavory planned for us I'd be able to tell." Reveka smirked at Selardi, and if she still had her other eye she would've winked. Leading the girl down the further down the hall Reveka couldn't help but feel that she hadn't really fully assuaged Selardi's worries, so without turning to face her Reveka began talking again. "Listen, Sela, is it alright if I call you Sela, I know you're probably concerned about where you'll fit in on the ship. You've been a tool for most of your life, and you're not used to people offering you things without expecting something in return. I really don't know what you had to go through, but I do know that I know what you're feeling right now. I felt it when I first arrived on the Arrowhead with my son, but they accepted me into their family and they'll accept you too."

Reveka stopped in front a set of double doors turning towards Sela.

"This is the greenhouse, why don't we go on in?"

Reveka did always enjoy this room. She wasn't particularly one for nature, however, after spending so much time away from earth, it was definitely nice to be able to see some green and breath in some fresh air every once in a while.

"Is it fine to pick the moon apples now?"

"Hm? Moon- Oh you mean peaches. Yes, of course. Just don't eat any just yet I want to take them back to the infirmary and mash them down." As Sela began picking the peaches Reveka followed her around the greenhouse, though making sure to give the girl her space. She was sure the girl would be fine on her own, but watching her... well Reveka couldn't help but smile.

-------

"Nice try there Roche ol' buddy. Might wanna be a bit more subtle next time though, maybe Kenji'll fall for it!" Roche hiccuped again as Reyd patted him on the back.

"Pleeeeease, Kenzhee's nah my type," Roche slurred leaning into Reyd. "Now yoooou on the other hand..." Roche got sleepy eyed as he walked his index and middle finger up Reyd's chest. "Yeeeah, you're jus my kinda stud." Roche hiccuped again as he leaned away from Reyd falling against the booth seat. "Ahhh.... I think iss about time I got to beeeehhh..." Roche trailed off as he slid lazily out of the booth hitting the floor with a hard thud. "Ouchie." Shakily rising back to his feet Roche made it about steps closer to the floor before hitting the floor again, this time landing on his bottom. "Heeheehee... I think I fell." Roche tipped his head back to look at the rest of the group still sitting in the booth, however his lack of balance sent him tipping over so that he was now laying flat on his back on the floor. "Ahhh... I dun think I cun make it back to my room, can one of you please help me..."

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maxine nodded, waving over the glass to her direction, now forgetting about her beverage from before. Hard to get excited about a beer when the commander pulls out brandy he's hiding, anyway. She would remember that location, at the very least.

The room felt quiet; Kusanagi had given her damage report to little interaction, which wasn't much of a surprise. He never really seemed to care much about the damages. Unless the people inside it were hurt he knew it was of little consequence. But given that Reyd's seemed to be entirely trashed, his next few comments came as a bit of a shock to her:

"That being said, I'm a bit worried about you myself, Miss Delphi. And no, not because of your shoulder. You're my senior pilot, I know you can handle yourself. But, lately work seems to be the only thing on your mind. Now, that isn't to say I don't value your work ethic, quite the contrary. However, lets just say I've seen many young people like yourself get that sort of tunnel vision before. If you keep pushing yourself so hard, eventually you're going to wind up burning out. Perhaps a short break is in order while we fix your mobile suit? Some time to decompress and recharge your batteries would do you good... and it would most certainly keep Dr. Isozaki off of your back."

Maxine was dumbfounded, almost so that she nearly let the glass slip out of her hands, " Are you putting me on some kind of Medical leave??" Maxine rubbed her forehead in moderate frustration. Of all the days to be having, it had to be this one. "I'm not going to refuse; not my position. But don't you think we're all being a bit ridiculous? How many times have we been through missions like this? It's not like I'm a super important or valuable person outside of mech piloting Arthur. I was a city hoodlum, for Christ sake." Maxine took a sip from her glass; it was smooth, sweet too. Definitely not hard to see why it's a drink of choice. 

"Dramatics aside, I'm just not really sure what else I'm supposed to be doing if it's not fighting in the mech. It's not like I'm very personable, and half of the pilots around here are crackpots anyway. But if you want me to take a break, I'll take the damn break. Could use the time to work on my core muscles a little more anyway. All this drinking's turned my abs to flabs." Maxine's low, nearly monotone voice trailed off. taking a moment to really look around the med bay and examine herself as well; she felt like she could use a shower. Not because she was smelly or anything, but it was now becoming hard to shove off the thought of just how soothing that would feel at the moment, given how sore she was. Back in her military days hitting the showers was her favorite part of returning home. There was always something incredibly relaxing and homey about being in your own shower, where it was your own little world, at least for a moment.

Maxine snapped back into focus, pondering the rest of Arthur's speech:  Leader? Was he serious?  Maxine cocked an eyebrow in his direction, "You want me, Maxine Delphi, the evil witch of the west herself, to be your pilot squad leader? You have any idea what these other pilots think of me, Arthur? They wouldn't listen to a word I have to say, they'd be too busy trying to get one up on me, and it won't be that hard if I keep coming back from battle looking like this." Maxine gestured to her flight clothes, which were tattered, bloody, and just generally less efficient at covering her body than they were before. "I mean, if you're serious I'll give it some thoughts but If I look like this, and you heard what Kusanagi had to say, after a relatively tame mission, I can't help but feel you might be making a mistake here. Not that I'm the type to burn free money, though. A raise is always acceptable."

The Greenhouse, which Reveka and Selardi had accessed through one of the many bulkhead doors on the ship, was an expansive thing. What had once been a hangar nearly 150m in length housing six mobile suits and equipment to repair them had been entirely repurposed. The floor was covered in multiple meter deep growbeds filled with dozens of varieties of soil to give the various plants the ideal environment for their growth. In place of ladders and elevators to the upper catwalks, where pilots would have once mounted into their mobile suits' cockpits, there were now ramps leading up to where the various tools necessary for turning the soil and otherwise seeing to the plants were kept. Speaking of the plants themselves, there was a truly enormous variety in that remarkably humid room. Several bushes of everything from berries to hot peppers, vines of melons and squash, stalks of corn, numerous root vegetables planted in even rows, a few tanks in which kelp and other oceanic plants were growing, a few conspicuous growbeds filled with various species of Cannabis, and of course the pride of the greenhouse: three fruit trees which stretched nearly as tall as the Mobile Suits that had once been in. Of the three, only the Peach Tree to which Selardi had gone currently bore fruit though the other two were recognizable as a fruit-bearing Japanese Cherry Tree, which currently bore only its thin green leaves, and a flowering Star Ruby Grapefruit tree. Every single one of the plants was in perfect health: a testament to the skill and care put into raising them all.

There really was only one thing in the place that did not have some use for cultivating edible plants, and Selardi could certainly see it if she took the time to look away from the fruit she was picking. It was a pond, about a meter and a half deep and a few meters long, filled with flowering lilies of varying colors, that was connected to the Japanese Cherry Tree's growbed. A small steel pathway, obviously a repurposed piece of catwalk from somewhere in the hangar, stretched out to the middle of the pond, where a jagged piece of metal that had clearly once been a ship's hull was erected standing in the water with a thick piece of steel cable wrapped halfway around it from which numerous talismans hung. The path ended in a circular platform which wrapped around the monument, and on which a few bowls of incense were burning. While the writing etched into the steel was too indistinct for Selardi to recognize at this distance, Reveka would know that it was a memorial to the pilots and crew that the Arrowhead had lost in its years of service and in the years since the Scarlet War. She would also know that there were seventeen numbers cut by hand at the base of it: one through seven, nine, ten, and twelve through nineteen.

Of course, any attention that might have been paid to this monument was soon enough interrupted as an enormous furry thing barreled out of a berry patch and launched itself into Selardi, bringing her down in the soft soil around the Freestone Peach Tree. Eventually, between the fur and repeated licks to her face, she might just be able to make out Haro, Captain DeGaines' enormous pet Tibetan Mastiff.

---

"Sorry to bother ya, but my arm has been really slow as of late. Might need a bit of tuning if you're not busy." Just as she was about to try and get the captain's attention so that he could answer her suggestions about the GX, Rosaria reminded Chief Kusanagi that she was still there and still needed some maintenance. Wordlessly she slipped her tablet into a dedicated holster on her belt, and withdrew a small box which she opened to reveal the many fine tools that were needed for prosthetic maintenance. She took one of the screwdrivers, lifted Rosaria's arm, and proceeded to get to work on it.

"Hold still, Miss Ortiz." She said as she set about the careful maintenance necessary for components this size. "Captain, not to interrupt your interview with Miss Delphi, who for the record I believe would make an excellent flight lead, but we do need to decide what to do with the GN-1400. I did give several suggestions on the subject." She didn't have much more to say, mainly because she needed her focus to find whatever the source of the problem Rosaria was having was. "Rose, you have been remembering to pop this open and air dust it out every four days, right? I'm not going to dust it out here in the infirmary, but that could be at least part of the problem." Dust did have a way of getting around in the comparatively low gravity of a ship.

Kyy rested his glass against his chin, leaning back in his stool with a sort of wistful look on his face.

"Kokko and I, huh... it's been a minute since I thought about that with any seriousness. I try not to, anyway." He spun around in his chair and faced Maryanne, tipping the glass in her direction. "Well, I'll have you know that Kokko and I were the headliner acts for the Lenos Sparrowwolves over on Side 14!"

He deliberately puffed his chest out in a very exaggerated way, looking to the side with arms to his hips and a smug grin across his face. He held for a few seconds, before letting his breath out and chuckling to himself. "Yeah, I doubt anyone outside of Lenos are even aware of our existence. Really, though, it benefits us, so I'd have it no other way."

Setting the glass down, he stretched in his seat. “Where to start... well, I'll spare you all the boring details leading up to it. Long story short, I learned to be a pilot from my mother, so to speak, while my father gave Kokko the technical engineering skills he has. Combining our two abilities into one, we signed up for a stunt group on Lenos, known as the Lenos Sparrowwolves. 'Tis where we got the only outfits we seem to wear.”

He seemed to ponder what exactly a Sparrowwolf is, evidently having done so many times in the past, but shook it off as he continued. “My father tried to keep us humble when speaking in reference to ourselves, but it's no exaggeration that we were the most famous celebrities on Lenos at one point. All of our shows were constantly sold out, hundreds of thousands of adoring fans, endorsements, advertising deals, you name it, we got it. Of course, that also includes all the death threats, hate mail, scams, actual attempts on our lives from competitors... you know, the works. Oh, speaking of...”

He rummaged around in his pocket for a bit, before pulling out an old, worn-out paper with faded ink on the surface. He flipped it around and held it up to show Maryanne.

“F U Q  U
I  K I LL”

“This one's my favorite. We've gotten more elegant ones before, sure, but the simplicity really speaks to me. In any case, you can likely imagine all the fortune that came with it; and we kept up for years. What was it... four? Five? Something along those lines.” He neatly folded the piece of paper again before shoving it back into his pocket. His shoulder slouched a bit more as he turned away from Maryanne, with his demeanor dropping in a similar manner.

“I'm sure you can guess that something musta went horribly wrong for us to have ended up here, with no fame and fortune to our names. I'll... save you the details. Stunt went wrong, debris impacts Lenos, god knows how many die before the hole can be sealed. The Solstice Incident... We skipped town before authorities could nab us.”

He reached behind him to grab his glass, stopping just short when he remembered it remained empty. With a sigh, he turned back to face his drinking companion. “Every now and again, I consider whether or not it would've been better for us to have been jailed. Pay the penalty for our foolish mistakes, and somehow eventually give back for the suffering we caused. Which, again, is why I try not to think about it. All it does is cloud my judgment in the present, really...”

Holding the base of his neck, he stretched it in wide circles, releasing the occasional popping sound. “You know, I'm really not one to talk about my past like that; we were taken onboard with no questions asked, and were quite happy to keep it that way. Well, I suppose alcohol does have a way of loosening the tongue."

“Hey, can you do me a favor? Can you never bring any of this up with Kokko? The whole affair hit him a lot harder than it did me, and I'm worried about him. Having to think about it again might dredge up some bad mental blocks for him. Always was a little baby, he was...”

"Just don't eat any just yet I want to take them back to the infirmary and mash them down."

"Understood, doc."

A hint of disappointment was unusually noticeable on Sela's voice, but she obediently continued to pick up the peaches from the garden for a while. She got herself a sack she found lying around, and with it on her hands, she chose to gather as much as she could, waiting until Reveka would say that she had gathered enough. In the meantime, she took the time to explore the greenhouse. It was a sight she's not used to, so many greeneries growing here and there, full of fresh food that she barely ever got the chance to taste. The presence of a pool with flowers in it was odd. Lilies weren't edible as far as Selardi was aware of, but perhaps they found the sight to be nice? Who knew. As she picked the peaches, Selardi decided to try talking more with Reveka, noticeably getting more comfortable with her presence.

"The procedures I went through? Implant operations, physical and mental training, indoctrination, more training, numerous punishments, torture simulation, capture simulation, sparring sessions against other soldiers, more indoctrination, brain performance testing, and some other that I cannot recall right now. The project leaders were quite insistent on not letting information regarding the project to get out, even at our expense. No matter how harsh the situation we would find ourselves in, we were expected to keep our mouth shut and failure to do so means elimination from the project.

I wonder how people's face would look like moments before they melt from a direct beam shot?"

Dropping that much words at once were unusual, but she maintained her flat expression and kept her eye contact on Reveka throughout their way whenever she was not looking at the greenhouse or picking the peaches. She wondered what kind of reaction would she have now from her words. While she's doing that however, her senses picked up a noise coming from a distance, and soon a potential hostile ran towards Sela. She was ready to deal with it if it was an ambush, but moments before she snapped its neck, she realized that it was just a dog, not an automata or remotely controlled droid, and he didn't seem to be strapped with explosives either. She still held to it tightly with her expression still being as flat as ever, and turned around to see Reveka.

"So this is a dog. It is dirtier and a lot more smelly than I once thought.

Does this ship breed them as foodsource?"

"Thats...."

They were in the Pierre Gint's mobile armor hangar now, in which stood Jared Richter's Seig. Its damaged arm had been removed and replaced with a new one (which was presently being painted in Jared's personal red), and the Poltergeist corps' mechanics were in the process of mounting various pieces of heavy, white armor to its frame. On the hangar floor in front of it, he, Carla, and Captain Bronson could plainly make out an array of new thrusters, as well as both Jared's own beam rifle and a second one taken from another mobile suit. Next to them were a total of six vulcan guns, which were presently being greased and attached to weapon mounts.

"I knew you'd need a little extra firepower on this job, so I had the gearheads start whipping this up while we were all in the briefing room. I would've asked first, but we don't exactly have all the time in the world and I figured you'd say yes anyway. Whaddya kids think?"

"You're putting all of that on just one mobile suit?"

"Fantastic. With this we won't need to worry about that gundam giving us any trouble."

"I knew you'd like it. When they're done, she's all yours. Call it a gift." He turned to face Carla next. "This should ease your mind, right?"

"You could say that. You're really going all-out for this."

"We're making a statement. No vulture beats my crew and gets away with it. Now you two had better get a little rest. I need you in top shape for this one."  The both nodded as Haggard made his way back into the hall, leaving the two of them to themselves.

"You're lucky he's so fond of you."

"You could say that."

"Just don't let this go to your head when we're out there, ok?"

"Don't you worry. I know what I'm doing. Besides, I've got you watching my back, remember?"

"Right. Just... be careful."

---

"Ahhh... I dun think I cun make it back to my room, can one of you please help me..."

"Dammit dude, how do you get that smashed that fast?" Reyd rolled his eyes, then bent down and draped Roche's arm over his shoulder, lifting him back to his feet. "C'mon, lets get you back to your room before Mommy has to come in here and scrape your drunk ass off the floor." He started walking Roche toward the door, stopping a few times to right him when he lost his balance again. Before he made it to the door, he turned back to Kenji, who now sat alone at their table. "Sorry about leaving you hangin'. Help STAN take care of the mess, would ya?"

"Sorry if that brought up some bad memories for you. I didn't mean to pry..." Maryanne said apologetically. "No worries though, your secret's safe with me! We've all done things we regret, after all." She took a big gulp and finished off her drink. "Though, if you want my opinion, I don't think anyone here would judge you for it. We meet all sorts of shady characters in this business, after all. You and your brother probably don't even measure up compared to some of the freakshows we sell to. Like that one guy who bought out half of Chief Kusanagi's hash, remember?" She punctuated her statement with a cartoonish pout. "What a creep. Had worse manners than whoever wrote you that death threat, too!"

She laughed, defusing the unpleasant memory, then checked her watch. "Man, we've been here awhile, haven't we? I guess time flies when you're having fun.

---

"Well, the smart thing to do with the GX would probably be to break it down and sell it piecemeal. Putting it up intact would probably just make us a target, and I know the crew isn't too keen on dealing with pirates again so soon. Plus, all the energy condensers in that frame could be of some use in the ship's reactor. Orrrr, we could sell it to King, assuming he can convince his superiors to let him buy from us again. That said Chief, if you want it for yourself you're welcome to keep it. I'm sure we could recoup some of the maintenance costs by selling the Scrap queen, and whatever else we manage to take from the Hagane should cover the rest. Either way, its not going anywhere until we get this salvage job done. We didn't come all the way out here to leave with just one mobile suit, after all."

Arthur took another sip from his glass, then continued. "As for the rest of the junk our pirate friends were nice enough to give us, it might be a good idea to get one of those DWPs in working order, if not to sell at least to give Reyd something to fly while we figure out what to do with his Djinn. Before any of that though, I want you to get our operational mobile suits back to 100%. I don't want to be unprepared if we run into any more trouble." Now, it was back to Maxine. "And speaking of trouble, Ms. Delphi, no, this isn't medical leave, or anything official, for that matter. I'm just recommending that you get a little rest while you have the chance. As for the promotion, I'm not forcing it on you, but Its something I'd like you to consider. Take your time and think it over."

---

It had taken a few hours, but the Arrowhead had at last managed to pull the Hagane free from the colony wall. She was now tethered to the Arrowhead by a series of cables, with a series of pulse thrusters mounted to her hull to help navigate the dead ship around the debris in the shoal zone. Some of the Arrowhead's crew were aboard her, surveying the interior and making note of anything that could be useful or valuable, while the rest had for the most part returned to their duty stations as the Arrowhead began to tow the Hagane out of the shoal zone. It would be a slow, agonizing process, but hopefully, the payoff would be worth it.

"That should have everything done, Miss Ortiz. Let me know if you have more problems with it." Chief Engineer Kusanagi said as she finished tuning Rosaria's arm. She had been paying attention to the captain's opinions on the matter, in particular the suggestion that she could take the GX as her personal MS, but Rosie did need attention first right now. However once she'd closed up the external case of that prosthetic arm, she turned to look directly at the captain. "If I were to keep it, I would have to repaint it. Though as you said I'll focus on getting our still functional Mobile Suits back up and running." And with that said she left the infirmary to go about her work.

---

As one might expect, the Mobile Suit Repair Crew was none too happy about having such a short break before having to get back to making things work. Though they were reasonably happy about being able to ignore Reyd's nearly totaled Djinn and instead focus on rearming and re-arming the various mobile suits. By the time Arthur was giving the order for them to prepare to tow the Hagane out of the Shoal Zone, the Red Queen's funnels had been replenished to full and the Leveler's severed arm had been completely replaced with the still functional arm from Reyd's Djinn. The necessary tuning to get everything running accordingly was handled, and when the time came for the MS team to launch everything was ready. The exception of course, was Reyd.

"No, you're not taking the GX. As of this moment, you are grounded until further notice. If you have an issue with that, take it up with the captain." Kusanagi had said when their obnoxious hot-shot pilot had tried to get into the cockpit of the Gundam. He hadn't been happy of course, but he also hadn't done much more than shout back and forth for a few seconds before thinking better of pissing off the Chief. So he had left, presumably to take up the issue of his being grounded with Captain DeGaines, and the rest of the team had launched to oversee the salvage operation.

---

"Everything looks good back here, Bridge." Kusanagi said over the comms, having launched with the rest of the MS team in the Scrap Queen. Currently she was holding position directly above the Hagane's bridge. She was also, for the time being, acting as flight lead. "Roche, head forward and watch our path out of here. Everyone else, we're watching our sides and back. The Arrowhead is basically a sitting duck while it's stuck towing the Hagane, so we need to take extra care to make sure we are not taken by surprise. I have my doubts that the pirates we ran into earlier are the only ones out here." Maybe the others shared her opinion, or maybe she was just being paranoid. Not that paranoia was a bad trait this far from civilization, or an unreasonable one surrounded as they were by the electrified and irradiated graves of millions of people.

"The procedures I went through? Implant operations, physical and mental training, indoctrination, more training, numerous punishments, torture simulation, capture simulation, sparring sessions against other soldiers, more indoctrination, brain performance testing, and some other that I cannot recall right now. The project leaders were quite insistent on not letting information regarding the project to get out, even at our expense. No matter how harsh the situation we would find ourselves in, we were expected to keep our mouth shut and failure to do so means elimination from the project.

I wonder how people's face would look like moments before they melt from a direct beam shot?"

With a grimace, Reveka touched the side of her face. While the beam shot hadn't exactly melted off the side of her face it had left Reveka permanently scarred, and while her hair managed to cover the most of the damage anyone who gave her more than a cursory glance would be able to see hints of the scars her military service had left her with.

"I sincerely hope you've never had to see such a sight because I can assure you it is quite gruesome..." Reveka said followed by a noise that sounded halfway between a groan and a sigh. However, before their conversation could continue any further Selardi was tackled by a high-speed unidentified furry object.  While normally Reveka's motherly instincts would've kicked she knew from experience that this object was no danger to Selardi. 

"Haro~ don't startle our guest like that you big goof," Reveka chuckled approaching Selardi and the enormous Mastiff. 

"So this is a dog. It is dirtier and a lot more smelly than I once thought. Does this ship breed them as a food source?" 

"Hahaha~ Of course not, isn't she silly Haro?" Reveka knew that Sela's question was more than likely serious, however, she thought it best to play it off as a joke, "This is Arthur's dog, he's more like a family pet."  Reveka knelt down so that she was at eye-level with the dog. "Haro, this is Selardi, she's going to be living with us on the ship so make sure you're nice to her, ok?" Reveka took the big slobbering kiss she received from the massive dog as an affirmative. "Good boy~ Alright Sela once you're done picking peaches let me know and we'll head back to the med bay and I can mash them up for you."

------

"Dammit dude, how do you get that smashed that fast?" Roche felt extremely light headed as Reyd helped him onto his feet. "C'mon, lets get you back to your room before Mommy has to come in here and scrape your drunk ass off the floor." Reyd began leading Roche out the door, however, several times during even the short trip out the door Roche began to lose his balance leaning heavily into Reyd's shoulder for support. "Sorry about leaving you hangin'. Help STAN take care of the mess, would ya?"

"Soooooooorrrrrryyyyyyy..." Roche said sleepily as both he and Reyd left the bar.

Most of the trip back to Roche's room passed uneventfully Roche only falling over a couple times during the trip, however, a little more than halfway through the trip in true White Girl Wasted fashion Roche began to cry uncontrollably. 

"Reeeeeyyyyyyyyydddddd!!!!!" Roche cried directly into the young man's ears. "Do- do you think-" Roche cut himself off as he began ugly cry once again. "Doyouthink- WAAAAAHHHH! Do you think markers will ever know what a bagel tastes like?" Roche's looked at Reyd expectantly however mercifully the pair arrived at Roche's room, and as Roche crawled into his bed his demeanor changed again. "You know- You know I love you guys." Roche mutter sleepily. "You- You're like my best frieeee..." Roche trailed off passing out on his bed allowing Reyd to leave the room.

-----

"Roche, head forward and watch our path out of here. Everyone else, we're watching our sides and back. The Arrowhead is basically a sitting duck while it's stuck towing the Hagane, so we need to take extra care to make sure we are not taken by surprise. I have my doubts that the pirates we ran into earlier are the only ones out here."

"Ooooof course~" Roche replied in a voice that was overly chipper. "Oh my god, I'm dying..." Roche muttered in absolute agony. He'd been woken up about an hour ago for the mission, however, he still hadn't quite slept over his hangover.

-----

Meanwhile aboard the Hagane Reveka had arrived with the rest of the salvage team. 

"Ugh..." Reveka groaned over the coms, "how do you kids wear these things... they're so uncomfortable..." Reveka tugged at the suit trying in vain to adjust to her body. "So tight..." Reveka muttered. "Alright," Reveka said, now addressing the team,"I want to examine the medical bay Reyd found first thing, after that, you're free to do as you please. Also, when we split up we're to move in pairs I don't want anybody alone, there shouldn't be anybody here but us but it never hurts to be cautious. I'm sending you all the coordinates where Reyd found the medical bay, so let's head out!" 

Rosaria sat down and let Kusanagi get to repairing her arm, all the while listening in on what they were talking about with the reports and the new cyber newtype girl.

"Rose, you have been remembering to pop this open and air dust it out every four days, right? I'm not going to dust it out here in the infirmary, but that could be at least part of the problem." Rosaria looked at the chief engineer and nodded. "I air dust it regularly... Something must of just come undone during the battle, I mean I did have a building thrown right at me." All that fighting in the colony might have caused something to snap in her arm, the impact of that building did send her sprawling into a wall after all.

"That should have everything done, Miss Ortiz. Let me know if you have more problems with it." Rosaria flexed her arm a bit and moved her fingers around, everything checked out alright. "Thanks chief..." Rosaria got up and stretched. "If anyone needs me I'll be in my room."

iU8EggM.png

Rosaria headed into her room and shut the door behind her, she threw her hair tie off and just let her hair flow freely. With a hand on her head she laid down in her bed and flipped open a book to read. "*sigh* Time for a little R & R..."

A few mandatory medical treatments later, and Maxine was alone in her quarters, pondering the conversation she and Arthur had gone through just a short while ago. She sat, quiet and cross-legged, in front of a few color changing lights; while it wasn't as good as candles, those kinds of things weren't always the easiest to come by in the depths of space, so she settled for this. Meditating in peace, she pondered;  Squad Leader? For the Arrowhead? Something had seemed strange about the way Arthur approached her in the Medical Bay. He was always rather open with Maxine about his stream of consciousness; originally it had annoyed her how Arthur would sometimes just ramble on without a real point to what he was getting at, but she had become used to it. But this seemed just a bit different to her. It seemed as if there were no allusions that Arthur would be extending such an offer, and yet without any hesitation, he had put out the offer to really shift the way she was perceived on this shift, and not only that but the way she was to carry herself as well. Could she really go on being her typical on-edge headcase that the crew had been accustomed to if she was to be responsible for the others' lives? In a way, it was no different; she always felt like she was in charge of everyone else's life. If someone died, it would be because Maxine, as a pilot, had failed them. But actually being put in a position where that is overtly true....

Max groaned out loud, standing up and shutting the lights off. She stormed out of her quarters; time was being wasted by just sitting there staring at a wall. She'd been on this damn ship for how long, and she's about to deny an offer that's practically waiting for her to be ready? Garbage. All of it.

She found her way to the bridge in no time at all, seeking to find the Captain. She could care less what was going on at the Hagane; she wasn't supposed to be involved with it anyway.

"Arthur. I'll take it. Just let me know what you need to be done for the job. I'll take it."

"Sorry about leaving you hangin'. Help STAN take care of the mess, would ya?"

Seriously? After all that he just... Kenji thought, rubbing his temples some as he let out a small sigh, watching Reyd walk out with Roche. And now...the hot head and the drunk Roche had left and basically dumped him there in the bar to help STAN clean up. Cleaning up like this wasn't his job. He was a pilot as well as a junker...not a janitor.

Nevertheless, he did what he could to help clean up the obvious mess there near him, if only to lessen the work load for the robot. After all, even though it wasn't his job, he would've still done it regardless. STAN had enough on his plate, so a bit of help wouldn't have hurt in the slightest.

Xvignette_zps578dff7a.png

A few hours after Kenji had finished, the Arrowhead pulled the Hagane free from the colony wall. This only meant that they were going to need to escort it out of the zone. Honestly, it wasn't what Kenji was expecting, but he needed to at least get out a bit. And something about being in the cockpit of the Duel Gundam was therapeutic in a sense.

"Everything looks good back here, Bridge. Roche, head forward and watch our path out of here. Everyone else, we're watching our sides and back. The Arrowhead is basically a sitting duck while it's stuck towing the Hagane, so we need to take extra care to make sure we are not taken by surprise. I have my doubts that the pirates we ran into earlier are the only ones out here."

Kenji could understand Kusanagi's concerns. Recent events did show that things were getting a bit crazy as of late, though this was the first time HE physically had to deal with pirates. Just the thought of that whole situation made the young man clench the controls of the Duel tightly. He was completely upset with how that battle went down. How he was told..."THAT'S how you deal with DWPs".

Shaking his head some, he looked forward and finally spoke in regards to Kusanagi's orders. "Understood. Me and the Duel Gundam will keep the right side clear."

After playing with Haro some more (more like wrestling and attempting to break his bone in a friendlier manner), Selardi and Reveka returned to the med bay to have the peaches grounded. Selardi wasn't really that interested in paste-like food since she was sick of eating such thing and would rather eat something with actual texture, but her body submitted to its nature and Selardi ended up eating the ground peaches with as much enthusiasm an emotionally stunted person could give to an action. The rest of her time then was spent with her resting on everyone else's insistence.

After a while, she got the OK to finally leave the room, apparently when the rest of the team launched to explore the Hagane. Well, except for one. It was that pilot that got her into this ship. What was his name again? Hotshot? Ride? She seemed to remember he was called Ride. No, that wasn't quite right. But Selardi couldn't be too concerned about figuring out someone's name right now, so she decided to call him Ride for now. He looked quite glum. If he's a tire then he had deflated, but Selardi wasn't a mechanic so she couldn't blow him to fix that. Maybe he wanted to fight? Physical activities had been proven again and again in records to be able to regulate the emotional state of someone. Granted, Selardi was just trying to find an excuse to find something to beat up to help her flex her sore muscles and to pass the time.

"Ride. You are here. You did not join the Hagane exploration team, even with the GX replacing your damaged Djinn unit. You want to spar with me? As of now, I am unable to explain it properly, but something about your current expression made me want to punch your face.

Or would it be against the directive of Mr. Boss here?"

With a little tug and minor adjustment here and there, Kokko made sure his suit was on properly, spurred by Reveka's comments on the tightness.

"The suits aren't that bad, I think. A little snug in some places, but otherwise fitting. But then again, I'm forced to take off my regular clothes while wearing it, so..."

He cut himself short once he realized he was alluding to the fact that he was in his skinnies beneath their salvage suits; didn't want to get anyone's imaginations running wild, after all. He was very alluring.

...He snickered to himself at the thought. It was doubtful anyone present would have those sorts of thoughts about it. Him treading carefully around it was simply habit from a past time, when people were around who... well, did. He refocused back on the task at hand, as the Salvage crew moved through the Hagane.

"I want to examine the medical bay Reyd found first thing, after that, you're free to do as you please. Also, when we split up we're to move in pairs I don't want anybody alone, there shouldn't be anybody here but us but it never hurts to be cautious. I'm sending you all the coordinates where Reyd found the medical bay, so let's head out!"

The medical bay? Evidently, Reyd had found a girl suspended in some sorta medical pod in there, so it's no big surprise that it'd be a priority place to check out. Still...

"What do we expect to find there, anyway? Unless we're taking the pod back as a souvenir."

Spurred by his own comment, he thought about the potential use the pod may have to cure insomnia; he knows that Kyy has that issue occasionally, so maybe...

"In any case, after this, I want to check out what sort of gun batteries this thing may have. Want to come with, Reveka? I happen to know of a few of our own weapon systems that are in dire need of replacement, Kusanagi be dammed. Stubborn old hag..."

"Ride. You are here. You did not join the Hagane exploration team, even with the GX replacing your damaged Djinn unit. You want to spar with me? As of now, I am unable to explain it properly, but something about your current expression made me want to punch your face.

Or would it be against the directive of Mr. Boss here?"

Reyd, who had been leaning against the wall of the pilots' ready room in his normal suit, sulking, looked over at Selardi with a raised eyebrow and an agitated expression. "Its Reyd. You know, like a hit and run attack. Get it right would ya?" It took him a moment to fully process what she had asked him next, since, for a split second, he was sure he'd heard her wrong. Then he remembered the choke hold she'd put him in when he'd met her on the Hagane. "No, I don't wanna "spar" with you. Shouldn't you be up in the doc's office getting dissected or something? Piss off."  He was in no mood to be personable, and having Selardi attack him again was just about the last thing he was interested in doing.

---

"Arthur. I'll take it. Just let me know what you need to be done for the job. I'll take it."

"I figured you'd come around." Arthur looked up over his shoulder without getting out of the captain's seat, but turned back to take another sip of tea from his mug (which read "not just for show") before he continued. "Its not much different from being a regular pilot. We can talk about details, and a raise in your pay, after this job's finished. In the meantime, why not join us here on the bridge until its time for you and Rosaria to take a shift? The view's nice... for a shoal zone anyway."

"What's all this about?" Maryanne chimed in, taking a moment to look up from her radar console. "Getting a promotion Maxine?"

"Its Reyd. You know, like a hit and run attack. Get it right would ya?"

"I see, so you are a coward. Thank you for your self-identification, Ride."

Selardi stared at the man with a still vacant expression, The man had stopped sulking and looking quite agitated, which only increased the internal basic urge of Selardi to deck him.

"No, I don't wanna "spar" with you. Shouldn't you be up in the doc's office getting dissected or something? Piss off."

"Pissing in the hallway would be against the norm of decency as I have been taught, I'm afraid. Or was it the norm here to be able to urinate freely anywhere?

I see. So you are deemed not good enough to participate in the salvaging operation. Just get better. Better than being cast aside, isn't it?"

This man was quite weird. And the talk seemed to have gone nowhere now. Selardi had started to feel bored with him already and decided to just leave him sulking on his own. It was not really her business anyway whatever he was sulking about. Wandering aimlessly on her own for a while, she would find herself on the hangar area. She was a bit sick on seeing mobile suits, but without anything else to do, she wandered around until she came face to face with the GX once more. Seeing that machine up close once more, a weapon that ruined her life yet was also the one that she used to enact her revenge, there was really one thing she could do.

She let out her tongue and did a mocking gesture to it before turning around. To her chagrin it didn't give her any feeling of catharsis. Perhaps she did the pose wrong? It was just something she read on a passing anyway. It's not really important right now.

• 2 weeks later...

"Pissing in the hallway would be against the norm of decency as I have been taught, I'm afraid. Or was it the norm here to be able to urinate freely anywhere? I see. So you are deemed not good enough to participate in the salvaging operation. Just get better. Better than being cast aside, isn't it?" Now if there was ever a collection of words that were going to make Reyd even angrier, these were it. (Un)fortunately, before he could fully and completely vent his rage on Selardi, the girl was already gone, off in the direction of the starboard hangar to do…. something. One audible groan of frustration later, and Reyd was off after her; his goal very hazy and ill-defined, but decidedly malicious. He didn’t run, but rather walked deliberately, muttering obscenities to himself all the way.

---

“You all set?”

Jared turned his head away from his locker to see Carla behind him, already wearing her normal suit. He turned back around to finish zipping up his own as he spoke. “Just about. What’s got you so antsy?”

“We’re going up against G-types, and you’re not on edge?”

“Worrying about it isn’t going to make it any easier. Besides, we know what we’re in for this time.” From the look on her face, it was clear Carla was not going to be following his example any time soon. “Come on, you’re gonna be right there with me in your Indominus. Between that and the souped up Djinn, this should be just like any other job.”

“You said that about the last one too. That wasn’t exactly tea and biscuits either.” Jared frowned, reminded again of his previous failure.

“Just don’t lose your edge on me out there, alright? I’m counting on you to watch my back.” He punctuated his sentence by putting on his helmet, the tinted glass making his expression a little harder to make out as he turned around.

---

“Alright everybody.” Captain Bronson’s voice crackled over the aging comms network of the Pierre Gint. “Let’s go over this one more time. Jackson and Davids are on the Mega Bazooka Launchers. They’ll move out first and open fire as soon as they’re in range, with extreme prejudice shown for the enemy’s mobile suits. Viccar, Alders, and Mirconen will move ahead of them and provide support to Jared and Carla while they move in and engage the GX and the ace in the Gaze. If there’s any questions, now’s the time to ask… No? Alright then, everyone move the hell out!”

“You’d think by now he’d know not to bother with the recap when we’re on the catapult, eh Jared?”

“If I were you i’d stay focussed on your you launcher’s telemetry data Davids. Who knows how many years it’s been since those things were actually calibrated correctly.”

“Worried about your girlfriend Flyboy?” Jackson chimed in. “Don’t worry. Sure, Davids can’t shoot worth a damn but you’ve got me out here. The two of you won’t even need to do any work!”

“Who says I can’t shoot eh!? Imma bag that gundam just you watch!”

“You know there’s two of ‘em right?”

“What? Really? Then I’ll-”

“Can it you two. And get the hell off the catapult deck would ya? The rest of us would like to launch some time this century.” With a cacaphonic mix of “yessirs” and “yeah yeahs” from the two on the launch catapults, the specially equipped DWPs were sent rocketing off ahead of the Pierre Gint. Soon enough, they were joined by the rest of the MS team. “Alright, let’s show those Vulture fucks who the Poltergeist Corps are!”

---

“Everything’s looking good out here, Captain.” Chief Kusanagi said over the comms, scanning left and right of the Hagane as the two linked vessels made their exceedingly slow progress out of the Shoal Zone. Things were in fact looking good, and she was starting to feel a bit more at ease with only having three of their Mobile Suits out. “I guess those pirates just up and ran off.”

---

“I’ve got a visual on them. Three MS, including one of the gundams and that black Gaze. Looks like they’re towing a hulk.”

“Perfect. They’re sitting ducks. So, who gets to take the first shot?”

“Well, I owe you a few reds. Let me off easy and you can take it, Jacks.”

“Heh, an offer I can’t refuse. Alright everyone, just let me know when you’re in position.”

“Well I’m ready. How about you, Carla?”

“Right behind you, Jared. What about you three?”

“Ready to go.”

“Yup.”

“Weapons are hot, locked, and ready to-”

“For god’s sakes, shoot the funking gun before they hear your comm chatter, morons!”

---

“Captain, I’m reading interference on our comms. Almost sounds like voices.”

“Play it for me, and tell the Chief to be on alert.”

“Already reading you, Captain. Sounds like we have company broadcasting on open comms.”

“How unprofessional. Miss Levitt, get the salvage team on the line. I want them back here ASAP. Reveka can go exploring when we don’t have guests.” It was at this point that Jackson decided to finally follow orders and opened fire, the bright green beam tracing its way across space as it bore down on a random piece of debris just past the Hagane’s prow.

---

“JACKSON HOW THE funk DID YOU MISS?!” Needless to say, Captain Bronson was not pleased.

“I knew their damn sights were off. sheet!” Jared, who was hiding behind a piece of debris, took off in the direction of the Arrowhead. They’d lost the element of surprise, but they still had a numerical advantage.

---

“And that, everybody, is a Martian Mk-4 Mega Bazooka Launcher. Captain, we’re going to need reinforcements. Maxine, if you read me grab the black and gold beam rifle when you launch. Kenji, please tell me you remembered the Rail Bazooka.”

“Wonderful. Miss Delphi, break’s over. Mr. Tosstensson, detach the tow cable and move the Arrowhead to cover the hagane. Miss Levitt, get me their firing position and tell gunnery to put some missiles on it. We need to buy time for the rest of the mobile suits to launch.” Arthur’s next move was to pull the microphone from his armrest and address the entire crew on the ship-wide comms. “Attention. All crew members report to your battle stations. We’re under attack. I repeat, report to your battle stations, we are under attack.” Arthur sighed and he put the mic away. “Figures, just as we were about to leave.”

“Is this even the worst you’ve been in, Captain?” Maryanne asked while she busily worked at the controls to the ship’s sensors, sliding back and forth between the stations that were once occupied by three separate operators.

“Not even close. But still…” Instinctively, Arthur entered a code into the keypad of his other armrest. “You can’t be too careful.” As he spoke, armored shutters folded over the bridge’s windows, and the entire room began to shake as hydraulics lowered the forward half into an armored vault within the Arrowhead’s superstructure: The combat bridge. As everything came to a halt, several monitors within the walls came online, roughly approximating the view that the three had had aboard the main bridge moments ago. It was at this time that a second beam split the void of space between the Arrowhead and the Hagane, and the deployed Mobile Suits began taking autocannon fire.

“Maxine, if you could hurry-” Kusanagi was cut off by the distinctive sound of beam fire impacting the Scrap Queen. “Dammit, I’m hit! Who the-”

“Remember me?” Jared asked as his newly repaired and re-armed Seig came screaming in, Carla’s Indominus close behind. “Where’s your friend in the GX? I owe him for wrecking my Seig.”

Maxine might have been a little cut and dry when it came to most things, specifically involving things like talking to people about their emotions or feelings, but even someone as emotionally detached and near robotic as her expected just a bit more drama to her promotion than: 

"In the meantime, why not join us here on the bridge until its time for you and Rosaria to take a shift? The view's nice... for a shoal zone anyway."

Maxine quirked a brow; she wasn't sure whether or not to be offended that he seemed to be frankly uncaring about her deciding to take the job, or flattered that it was obvious he never thought it was in doubt. Either way, since she was "taking a break", a nice view of the shoal zone seemed like a good way to pass the time.

"Hell, sure beats the City back home, anyway." Maxine drifted off into thoughts about the city she grew up in on mention of it; she remembered those days after she had stolen something and made off with it, or made a public example of someone getting a little too friendly with her at the clubs and bars she used to frequent as a growing woman. The days where the city would be so unbelievably busy that it almost seemed empty. Max remembered staring out of her window for hours on end some nights, wondering what was next. It was often the best way to take her mind off of what a mess of a life she had made herself. While the military didn't exactly change her for the better, it certainly gave---

"Maxine, if you read me grab the black and gold beam rifle when you launch."

“Wonderful. Miss Delphi, break’s over."

Moments like these never lasted on the Arrowhead. There was always something new shooting at us. Maxine snapped back into focus, nodding her head and quickly transitioning into a madhouse sprint down to the hangar where she could launch into battle. First mission as head pilot, and she wasn't even in the damn shoal zone. Rookie mistake.

She climbed into Leveler as fast as she could, scanning frantically for the gun Kusanagi mentioned. 

"Copy Chief. I've got the weapon. Sure hope the Leveler still works as well as you say it does. Maxine Delphi, launching!"

As she geared up for launch, Maxine started to remember just how uncomfortable it was getting back into a machine after a near death experience. Hell, given that not every panel was necessary for function, she could still clearly make out the spot in her cockpit that her head had met full force. She always begrudgingly trusted the Chief and the Doctor, but she was damn near positive smashing your head into a panel and then getting back in it less than 12 hours later was both a bad idea for the girl and the robot. Still, what's a scrap scavenging ex-military pilot with extensive tactical training to do?

Given the Leveler's superior speed, she was able to close in on Kusanagi's position rather quickly, with two hostiles inbound, she made her best attempt possible at a drive by wherein she could leave the rifle for Kusanagi, quickly pivot and begin shooting her own rifle towards the combatants to slow their head on attack. Maxine would need more time on the battlefield to come up with a plan to help everyone keep alive, But given that not even everyone was launched yet, the situation immediately looked dire. Who the hell were these people that they came with such a large force in so little time?

"Chief, I'm coming in hot with your gun, get ready to pivot back, we need more time before we can engage! Reyd doesn't even have a mech, remember? This fight is risky if we take it head on."

Few things in life were as exciting as flying into an active battle zone with your engines screaming hot despite being (seemingly) heavily outnumbered, but that doesn't mean Maxine hadn't occasionally thought about what it would be like if she had done something a little more simple, like being a banker, or a librarian or something. Guess everyone has a calling.

“And that, everybody, is a Martian Mk-4 Mega Bazooka Launcher. Captain, we’re going to need reinforcements. Maxine, if you read me grab the black and gold beam rifle when you launch. Kenji, please tell me you remembered the Rail Bazooka.”

No, I think I left that in my OTHER Gundam! What the funk do you think?! Kenji thought, exhaling before responding. "Read you loud and clear, Chief. Rail Bazooka is in tow this time." Right now, he needed to make sure he made a better impression than the last time...he needed to show Kusanagi that he knew what the hell he was doing.

“Maxine, if you could hurry-Dammit, I’m hit! Who the-”
“Remember me? Where’s your friend in the GX? I owe him for wrecking my Djinn.”

"Great, the guy that Reyd was toying with...perfect." Kenji thought with a heavy sigh. Nevertheless, he looked at the scanners on the display, seeing that all the threats were coming port side of the Hagane. Meanwhile he was on the starboard side of it. Looks like I'm going to have to join the party... he thought, before throwing the Duel Gundam's thrusters into high gear, before taking off to head off near the front of the Hagane.

"Chief, I'm coming in hot with your gun, get ready to pivot back, we need more time before we can engage! Reyd doesn't even have a mech, remember? This fight is risky if we take it head on."

-BGM-

"Duel Gundam inbound, Maxine." Kenji said quickly, before having the Duel Gundam moving quicker as he rounded the corner and sped past the front of the Hagane. "I'll be giving off a quick distraction take out at least one of the DWPs. That ought to give us enough time!" he said, moving the controls to have the Duel Gundam now strafe and hold the Rail Bazooka in its hand, having it braced up on top of it's shoulder..

The bazooka is fairly inaccurate...least from what the other pilots said. Kenji thought, setting up the targeting system with the bazooka. However, inaccurate or not, it'll do some damage. With a smirk and his sights set on one of the DWPs, preferably the middle one in a cluster, he pulled the trigger.

"FIRE IN THE HOLE!!" he shouted as he watched the bazooka round fire straight from the rail bazooka. A small grin appeared on his face as he watched it head directly towards the targeted DWP. Alright...shoot another later... he thought as he put the weapon on the Duel Gundam's back, preparing the shield, just in case of a counterattack.

"I reckon you are now deciding to not be useless. Very well."

Selardi who was still sitting on her position for a while, noticed Reyd approaching her with an expression akin to the expressions of the soldiers that were really annoyed with her presence back on her old place. Flat as ever, she then dismissed his presence and pointed at the GX instead while keeping her eyes into it.

"Against the directive it might be, perhaps you would be more useful if you are inside of this hunk of metal. Maybe this would lead to something more interesting than beating you up."

Selardi had little care on whatever would happen to Reyd or whatever he wanted to do now - as long as it would lead to something interesting, she'd go along with it. The ship shook a bit not long after, and Arthur's voice echoed throughout the place. Showing little care, Selardi walked away with little interest, still occasionally eyeing Reyd to see what he was going to do now.

“Attention. All crew members report to your battle stations. We’re under attack. I repeat, report to your battle stations, we are under attack.”

"Oh. It seems that the situation has developed into a more interesting direction. I wonder if I can find a good place to watch all of this."

“Attention. All crew members report to your battle stations. We’re under attack. I repeat, report to your battle stations, we are under attack.” Rosaria was just about to doze off with her book in her hands as the Captain gave out an alarm to all the crew. "The hell? What now!?" Rosaria hopped off her bed and rushed out her room after zipping on her space suit. "And just as I was about to get some shut eye..."

She made her way to the hangar and climbed into the Ruby Queen. "This is Rosaria, I'm heading outside to assist." she said on the comms before launching. Once she was outside she noticed Kusanagi was in trouble, the pirate from before was rearing for a rematch with his geared up suit and he was followed by an Indominus. "Well two against one isn't fair... Hold on Chief, funnels away!" Rosaria released four of her Vertigo's funnels and sped towards Kusanagi to help her.

"What do we expect to find there, anyway? Unless we're taking the pod back as a souvenir."

"If you could get that pod back to the ship and operational I think I would love you..." Reveka said a bit too seriously, before chuckling slightly, "What I'm actually looking for down there is hopefully Selardi's medical records so I can treat her, and hopefully find some goodies to replenish my stock~" Reveka moved to make her way to the medical bay, however Kokko stopped her with his own comment.

"In any case, after this, I want to check out what sort of gun batteries this thing may have. Want to come with, Reveka? I happen to know of a few of our own weapon systems that are in dire need of replacement, Kusanagi be dammed. Stubborn old hag..."

"Oh~? Don't let her hear you say that, besides you just have to catch her after a few good hits Kokko dear." Reveka laughed,"Anyway, of course, I'd love to join you down to check out the Hagane's weapons, however, I really do need you to come with me just in case I need your help to get stuff out of here before they scrap the ship, afterword though-"

Reveka was cut-off by a rocking on the on the Hagane, however, what concerned Reverka the most was that the shaking was much too violent to just be the old ship settling, but felt more like an explosion hitting the hull. 

"Reveka to Arrowhead, what the hell was that?"

-------

"Ugh, I am so ready for this mission to be over..." Roche muttered shaking his head inside his mobile suit. He could not wait to be back in his bed so he could finish sleeping off his hangover, however, it seemed that Roche's rest would have to wait as a deadly green beam soared across the Hagane's prow. "Whom'st the funk!?" Roche turned to the direction of the shot to see 7 Mobile Suits barring down on their position "Oh I am most definitely not in the mood!" 

Roche angrily returned fire at the approaching enemy suits, however, he was forced to stop and take evasive maneuvers as he and his allies came under autocannon fire, and a second beam fired at the mobile suit. 

“Dammit, I’m hit! Who the-”

Roche stopped briefly to lock on to Motoko's location, noticing the two enemy Mobile Suits closing in on his mentor. 

"Motoko hang on I'm on my way!" 

“Remember me? Where’s your friend in the GX? I owe him for wrecking my Djinn.”

"Hunnie don't you know? Nobody likes a man that's too pushy!" Roche yelled laying down a hail of beam rifle fire on Jared and Carla's mobile suits. "Motoko get out over there I'm going to give these to a show~! Hey cutie, you kicked Reyd's ass so we had to put him in a time-out, but I'm sure I can show you and you're friend a good time!" Roche may have sounded quite confident over the coms, however even as he made the cocky boast to the other two pilots he gripped the controls of his Sieg tightly. This guy had kicked the crap out of Reyd in a flash, and now he had a supped up mobile suit and some back-up. This would definitely not be an easy fight for Roche. 

"That's the one that got Schnell, Carla." Jared said as he observed Rosaria's Vertigo launching. "Want to take care of him?"

"Consider it done." Without another word, Carla was away from Jared's flank. She opened fire with both of her Indominus's beam guns, catching one of the Ruby Queen's funnels just as it left the Vertigo's binder, and shooting down another about a second later. When she closed to medium range, she grabbed the large, modified bazooka attached to the rear skirt armor of her mobile suit, and loaded the muzzle with an object that looked like a panzerfaust. Then, she stopped, aimed the weapon, and fired it in the general direction of the Ruby Queen and the Arrowhead's starboard hangar. The round exploded a few hundred meters short of either of them, however, and in the aftermath a field of what appeared to be reddish-purple chaff scattered about. Any pilot with enough experience would instantly recognize what Carla had just done, but luckily for the uninformed, she explained it herself over the radio, specifically to taunt the pilot in the Vertigo. "A pulse explosive with High density Minovsky Particles. Not enough to completely scramble your radar, unfortunately, but you and your friends are going to have a very difficult time detecting our cannon fire. Oh, and those other two funnels of yours are probably going to stop working in a couple of seconds. Concentrated EMPs tend to fry those sensitive psycommu electronics. You really should be more careful with your hardware."

"Hey cutie, you kicked Reyd's ass so we had to put him in a time-out, but I'm sure I can show you and you're friend a good time!"

"Sorry kid, I'm not your type." Almost reflexively, Jared broke off from Kusanagi's damaged Gaze, weaving in and out of Roche's fire as he did so. At the same time, another couple of shots from the mega bazooka launchers came in. One of them missed, but the other glanced the Arrowhead's port side, causing the ship to shudder and melting through the hull's armor. Within a few seconds, several small holes in the hull opened up, and the Arrowhead began venting atmosphere.

---

Arthur grimaced as he felt the Arrowhead shudder. Quickly, he dialed in an extension code on the intercom and addressed the cantina, where he knew STAN would still be cleaning. "STAN, I need you to grab all the sealant epoxy you can find and get over to the port side of the ship. I need a damage report and any holes they put in the hull sealed before they become more of a problem."

"I've got the salvage team on the line, captain!"

"Reveka to Arrowhead, what the hell was that?"

"Those pirates from earlier came back. I need you and the team onboard the Arrowhead ASAP. We're in position to cover the shuttle but while you're still on the Hagane we can't take evasive action. Move it, Doctor." With that, Arthur hung up and turned to his bridge crew. "Mr. Tosstensson, the second they're aboard, the helm's yours. Take evasive action and see if we can't close this gap. Miss Levitt, missiles. Now."

"Yes sir!" Without skipping a beat, Maryanne slid her chair all the way down to the gunnery officer's console, and keyed in the firing code and targeting coordinates for the arrowhead's gunnery crew, who were now no doubt at their stations, to launch a volley of anti-ship warheads at the pirates' formation. At the same moment she slid back to her radar console, the missiles screamed past the bridge.

---

"Oh, looks like the Gundam wants to play with us, guys!" Viccars, the leader of the three man DWP team behind Jared and Carla, grinned menacingly as he watched Kenji's Duel gundam take aim and open fire on them with its bazooka. The three scattered just in time as the bazooka round whizzed past them and Mirconen, who's Dauntless was painted with a distinctive lavender right shoulder, returned fire with his own autocannon. Viccars and his wingman Alders continued lobbing shots in the direction of the Arrowhead for another couple of seconds, but stopped when they noticed the volley of missiles incoming and dove, avoiding the barrage as it passed over all four mobile suits present and headed for the Pierrre Gint's location. "Viccars to Jackson. Warhead barrage incoming!"

"Bronson can handle that Vic! Lets get rid of our Gundam problem first, eh? I gave Davids the coordinates." Right on cue, a shot from one of the Mega Bazooka launchers came screaming toward Kenji's duel gundam.

"Its not gonna be over that soon! G-types are stronger than that, Alders!"

---

"Viccars to Jackson. Warhead barrage incoming!"

"I see em, don't worry." Jackson took another shot with his mega bazooka launcher, vaporizing several of the warheads before they could get close. He was unable to get all of them, however, and the remaining warheads found their mark, exploding in the general vicinity of Jackson, Davids, and the Pierrre Gint, rupturing one of the Gint's Starboard fuel tanks. A moment later, the ruptured tank exploded, the shock wave sending Jackson and his launcher careening into a hunk of colony debris and putting very large hole in the Pierre Gint itself.

"Grrrrr... Dammit Jackson!" Captain Bronson growled as the blast almost shook him off his feet. "Get me a damage report and open fire on those bastards. Main guns full barrage!"

---

"Today's about to get a lot worse for you." Jared's tone was cold and calm. It was pretty obvious he didn't consider Roche much of a threat. He was about to close in, but stopped himself when he noticed a faster machine on his flank, heading for the enemy's damaged Gaze. "So, you were the decoy, huh?" He fired a quick burst from his vulcans at Roche, then turned and headed at top speed for Maxine. As he closed, he fired a shot from both beam rifles in front of the Leveler in an attempt to prevent it from reaching the Scrap Queen, then followed up with a sustained burst from all six of the Seig's vulcan guns, all but forcing Maxine to break off if she wanted to avoid taking a hit.

At the same time, the Pierre Gint fired a barrage from its main guns. The beams cut through the shoal zone, lighting up the battlefield in a pale yellow, before whizzing into the combat zone. A few hit the Hagane, violently exploding as they passed under the Arrowhead and impacted the hull, shaking the little cruiser. The rest missed their mark, thankfully.

"Carla to Gint. Correct your fire up five degrees. Your shots are too low." She turned her attention right back to the Vertigo. "Now lets see what you can do, newtype." Punctuating her challenge, she fired two shots from her bazooka at the Ruby Queen and darted out of sight behind a piece of debris. It was a taunt.

---

"I reckon you are now deciding to not be useless. Very well."

"Helluva lot of nerve you've got, you know that?" Reyd Growled as he walked toward Selardi. She ignored what he said, and seemingly paid no mind to the angry expression on his face as he apprached. As Arthur's voice echoed throughout the ship, she kept talking.

"Against the directive it might be, perhaps you would be more useful if you are inside of this hunk of metal. Maybe this would lead to something more interesting than beating you up." Reyd paused a moment. "Oh. It seems that the situation has developed into a more interesting direction. I wonder if I can find a good place to watch all of this."

"What kind of girl wants to watch a mobile suit battle? People killing each other ain't exactly pleasant you know." He was thinking aloud, and shook his head to break his train of thought. "And what the hell is wrong with you anyway?! I'm not useless. Other than the chief and Maxine I'm the best god damn pilot on this whole ship!" Reyd punctuated this by pointing to himself with his thumb. "You know if it wasn't for me you'd still be on ice, kid. You could at least show a little gratitude instead of being such a frosty jabroni."

"The best pilot? Possible. Yet as polished as your skills are, you lack any qualities as an officer to be a valuable asset for a group. Unless you are interested in proving me wrong?"

"You know if it wasn't for me you'd still be on ice, kid. You could at least show a little gratitude instead of being such a frosty jabroni."

"My current body temperature is currently normal at 300 degrees K, and I have no interest in playing the act as a mate for Haro."

Leaving Reyd with those words, Sela went away from him and took some time to get her space suit properly set before she even bothered to notice Reyd's presence once more. Her expression now was slightly showing signs of disdain at the young man, primarily out of annoyance as he seemed to be more content in standing there like a fool and replying to her insults.

"What do you even wish to do now? Do you have further insults to throw at me or have you decided to actually do something?

Or, perhaps you want to punch me instead. That would be nice. Come on, hit me."

• 2 weeks later...

Before Rosaria had any time to react, beam shots had already knocked out two of her funnels and two more were knocked out of commission by the enemy Indominus’s EMP. “Dammit, I just got done launching and four of my funnels are down… The Chief’s gonna kill me…”

Setting her sights back to the Indominus, Rosaria moved out of the way of the bazooka shots and caught sight of the enemy pilot as they darted behind some debris. “Ok… Gonna have to do this the old fashioned way.” With her funnels out of the fight, Rosaria brought out the Ruby Queen’s beam sabers and chased after the Indominus. Of course, by the time she got there, the Indominus had already disappeared from view; the debris field and the minovsky particles masking her radar signature. The enemy pilot’s voice came over the radio again, this time with a bit more static.

“Looking for something, Newtype?”

Rosaria looked all around her, this wasn’t a good situation. With this debris, the EMP hurting her radar, and the fact this pilot seemed to be an extremely good shot, she wasn’t liking her odds. “Grr… Why don’t you stop playing hide n’ seek and show yourself already?!” She called on her radio while keeping a close eye out for the enemy.

“You’d like that, wouldn’t you.” Another beam round came whizzing past the ruby Queen, hitting a piece of debris and exploding. “Too dependant on your funnels to sniff me out yourself?”

Sweat started to drip from Rosaria’s forehead. “Come on… Think Rose… Think… Ah to hell with it.” She started dart around the debris field, slashing away at any spot the enemy could be hiding. With any luck she would find her target, or another beam could go whizzing past her, or worse actually hit her.

“And here I was expecting an actual challenge. What a waste.” In an instant, the Indominus was behind her, announcing its presence with a swift kick to the Ruby Queen’s midsection, which sent it straight into a large fragment of colony wall.

“Agh! Son of a…” Rosaria reoriented herself before taking sight of the Indominus. “Ok… Now I’m pissed!” Using the Ruby Queen’s speed to it’s advantage, Rosaria closed in on the Indominus and slashed at it with her beam sabers. After which, she got some distance before firing her own beam weapons at the enemy suit. Carla weaved, avoiding one of the strikes and parrying the other with her mobile suit’s beam cutter, before fading back into the debris field as Rosaria opened fire.

“Getting angry won’t help you hit me, Newtype. Try using some actual skill and you might make it out of here alive.” Carla punctuated her taunt with a shot from her bazooka on Rosaria’s flank, followed by another beam round. The latter caught the Ruby Queen’s tail binder, melting the armor away as it exploded, the shockwave rocking the light martian frame.

“Agh!” Rosaria shook herself to her senses and looked at the damage. “Great… I hate to agree with someone who’s trying to kill me but she’s right… I can’t keep rushing at her… I gotta think of a plan…”

Dsfeaqn.png

A few hours had passed. Kenji had helped for a bit with cleaning up after the others, and STAN - accompanied only by the sound of vintage jazz - was doing the finishing touches on making the Arrowhead's cantina every bit as spic and span as the day the ship was made. Or at least, it was how STAN figured the place looked when the ship was made. All that was left at this point was just washing the glasses used earlier to make them nice and crystal-clear. A drone-like humming noise - the voice of STAN humming along to the music - was the only other thing in the room besides the music, the robot, and the items within the cantina. It was nice.

Then the ship shook, causing a beer mug to slip from the robot's hands. If he'd reached down to catch it any slower, it would have hit the floor, and probably shattered. Not as fast as I used to be. Note to self: Joints need oiling up. What are those kids doing this time?

"STAN, I need you to grab all the sealant epoxy you can find and get over to the port side of the ship. I need a damage report and any holes they put in the hull sealed before they become more of a problem."

"Roger that," the former assassin replied. So it was another fight then. Hopefully this one was done and over with quickly.

The old robot had made his way to the port side as requested. Whoever fired those shots knew what they were doing. STAN would have admired the marksmanship, if not for the fact that they were shooting his ship. STAN - being wary near the holes in the ship - started patching them up as quickly as possible. Three smaller holes, and one big one, just big enough to fit a small person through. Not quite a STAN-sized hole, but that one became the priority before long. The robot patched and patched, until the job was done. He took a step back to look at the wall again. Yep, that was a fixed wall. Now for the damage report.

STAN moved for the nearest intercom, before putting in the code for the bridge.

"STAN here. Whoever hit us was one hell of a shot, but it's all patched up now. Three small holes, one big one, and..." STAN's eyes turned to a spot near where the holes were on the floor. A small dent in the floor, that wasn't there earlier. Footprint-shaped, probably about the right size of foot for someone getting in through the big hole. Maybe a coincidence, but STAN wasn't going to take any chances. "And possibly an intruder. If we've got one, they won't be here long. Hyeh-heh-heh-heh..."

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually missed this kind of work.

STAN hung up the intercom, then looked at the direction the dent was facing. They went that way. STAN started in the appropriate direction. I reckon this intruder's got about until I find them to get their kiester off this ship, unless they're looking to turn themselves in peacefully. If they exist.

Archived