4 Longtusk Cub

4 Winding Constrictor

2 Grasp of Darkness

2 Aethersphere Harvester

2 Drana, Liberator of Malakir

2 Rishkar, Peema Renegade

3 Verdurous Gearhulk

-----

This is at its heart a GB energy-focused aggro deck. Came about due to me wanting to play two AER cards in particular: Glint-Sleeve Siphoner, who is basically this standard's Bob; and Winding Constrictor, a better Hardened Scales on... well, not legs, but on something. Delved into it a bit further and realized how good black was with the current suite of green energy cards. Gonti's Machinations, in particular, is an absurdly-efficient energy producer that can do an impression of Lightning Helix to finish our opponent off. And enough has been said about Fatal Push already, so I don't need to add my acclaim.

I'm least certain about the number of 3-drops right now: doing a 2/2/2 split for now but that should probably change with further testing. Originally Yahenni was in Drana's spot, but I realized how absurd Drana is with one or more Constrictors. Finally, the Blossoming Defenses are (in theory) essential, as 70% of creatures in this deck die to Push, 90% if revolt is enabled.

The only card I'm seriously considering as an inclusion is Nissa, Voice of Zendikar. Her -2 can swing the game with little setup required.

So, thoughts? I'm not normally a Standard player, but I'm gonna present this brew at my club meeting tomorrow to see what others think.

Archived