[Written] Metempsychosis

GarlandChaos

Metempsychosis

Field Spell Card

Lore: When exactly 1 monster with a Level is Special Summoned: Activate this effect (this is not optional); during the End Phase of the turn that monster was summoned, banish that monster, and if you do, that monster's owner can Special Summon 1 monster from their hand or Deck with the same Type and Attribute as that monster, but 1 Level lower during their next Standby Phase. You can only use the effect of "Metempsychosis" once per turn.

Meant to be a generic Field Spell for use in decks that can pump out monsters of varying levels.

Name and effect are based on the concept of birth, death and rebirth in Hindu mythology.

CnC?

It's a difficult card to take advantage from, IMO. If it summoned a monster with a higher Level then it could have an easier use as delayed Transmodify of sorts that drops a floodgate monster (e.g Spell Canceller, Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo, Kristya, etc.) during the opponent's Standby Phase, but since it downgrades the Level, it complicates things. I guess Jowgen could do the trick by Special Summoning monsters like Fairytail - Snow, Trick Clown.

It's a difficult card to take advantage from, IMO. If it summoned a monster with a higher Level then it could have an easier use as delayed Transmodify of sorts that drops a floodgate monster (e.g Spell Canceller, Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo, Kristya, etc.) during the opponent's Standby Phase, but since it downgrades the Level, it complicates things. I guess Jowgen could do the trick by Special Summoning monsters like Fairytail - Snow, Trick Clown.

If all else fails, you can always use it as OPT non-targeting removal of problem monsters like Kristya; assuming, of course, that they don't have something 1 level lower they can summon out.

Just an idea.

Oh, right, you can use it as banish removal. I assumed you needed a proper target in the Deck to use the effect, and that each player could only banish their own monsters, not the controller banishing from either side. In that case, then it's on the unfair side IMO: End Phase non-targeting banish removal for the opponent every turn, that as a Field Spell is searchable by Terra, etc? Sounds too strong to me, even if it's a bit slow, but for every turn it stays on the field, the more losses the opponent will take.

Oh, right, you can use it as banish removal. I assumed you needed a proper target in the Deck to use the effect, and that each player could only banish their own monsters, not the controller banishing from either side. In that case, then it's on the unfair side IMO: End Phase non-targeting banish removal for the opponent every turn, that as a Field Spell is searchable by Terra, etc? Sounds too strong to me, even if it's a bit slow, but for every turn it stays on the field, the more losses the opponent will take.

It's actually not as unfair as you think. It doesn't affect Xyz monsters since they have Ranks, and it's a mandatory hard OPT. So if your opponent Special Summons, say, a Doppelwarrior, then the Doppelwarrior (not the Synchro you summon it with) would get banished if it stays on the field until the End Phase.

It's actually not as unfair as you think. It doesn't affect Xyz monsters since they have Ranks, and it's a mandatory hard OPT. So if your opponent Special Summons, say, a Doppelwarrior, then the Doppelwarrior (not the Synchro you summon it with) would get banished if it stays on the field until the End Phase.

Oh, true...

I didn't read it too carefully, although in my defense the effect is a bit confusing to me, since the effect resolves on the End Phase, but the condition is met before then, and it is not clear at which point it activates. An "Activate this effect" as PSCT would be helpful:

When exactly 1 monster with a Level is Special Summoned: You can activate this effect; during the End Phase...

That aside, it seems easy to bait it, and using the Special Summoned monster before the End Phase will let the opponent play around the banishment. It should be fine, then.

Oh, true...

I didn't read it too carefully, although in my defense the effect is a bit confusing to me, since the effect resolves on the End Phase, but the condition is met before then, and it is not clear at which point it activates. An "Activate this effect" as PSCT would be helpful:

When exactly 1 monster with a Level is Special Summoned: You can activate this effect; during the End Phase...

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add some PSCT to the OP real quick.

Archived