Obama deports Cubans

Ryusei the Morning Star

http://bigstory.ap.org/1282ea8156984fffaadee98b23475c28

The political rationale, I assume, is to box Trump in. Ending “wet foot, dry foot” puts him in an awkward position, after all. If he doesn’t reverse Obama’s new policy, he risks irritating the Cuban-Americans who helped hand him last year’s win in Florida. If he does reverse the policy, he’ll be reinstating special residency privileges for Cubans who are here illegally — not a comfortable position for a border hawk with a populist-nationalist base to take. And if he tries to defend his decision by classifying Cubans as refugees rather than as illegal immigrants, that’ll open him up to questions of why he’d tolerate accepting refugees from Cuba as a matter of course but won’t accept ones from Syria even when they’ve been closely vetted by government agencies. The point of Obama changing the policy now, more than anything, is to force this issue onto the national radar and box Trump in such that he’ll have to make a high-profile decision one way or another. If O had left office without changing it, Trump could have quietly ignored it and left it in place with no one paying much attention to it even though “wet foot, dry foot” contradicts his own “strong borders” outlook. Now Trump will have to speak up. Whatever he does, he risks alienating some people who voted for him. Not put a fine point on it, but Obama just trolled him.

cuban-vote-1.jpg?w=640&h=612

Political Vengeance 

Obama's bad cause he won't deport illegal immigrants

Obama's bad cause he's deporting illegal immigrants

This is exactly what you wanted when you wanted Trump to start sending back illegal immigrants isn't it? The only reason you're upset now is because you feel you have a personal stake in the matter. 

I mean I'm not too crazy about Obama doing this either, but still the hypocrisy here is astounding.

This title is disengenious.

Obama is not having Cubans rounded up and removing them from Cuban shores. He is removing a (admittedly longstanding) policy that granted Cubans an exception to current immigration laws by providing essentially string free citizenship one year after making it to US shores. Such an exception no doubt existed as an attempt to try and attract the young work force out of Cuba and into the US, as would befit the restrictions and tensions between the nations before now.

Instead, there is now a deal closer to the rest of the US's border laws; Cuban's recieve no exceptions, and Cuba agrees to start actually taking in those whom the US deports due to a lack of a working Visa. Basically what the rest of the world should except and such. What you would expect from two countries of vastly different wealth statures whom are growing closer together.

Is there a political motivation behind this deal? Probably, but I doubt it's as simple as 'Well Cuban's voted for Trump, so screw them', given that the article you are quoting has had negotiations going on for months. Which would most likely predate the General Election votes, so the intention of the deal predates Trump taking office. 

Trump himself should have nothing to complain about; Because one who campaigns on tighter restrictions and greater border control should praise when something is done to achieve that end with essentially no fuss. Even if he did recieve that part of the voter base, if he truly cares about 'Making America Great' the win on policy should outweigh any and all politcal concerns.

So as I said before; The title in innaccurate and attempts to paint Obama as more of a bastard than he is. It is a revision of border policy in effect, not deportation. I would request Winter to change the title to accurately reflect this state of affairs.

Cubans have been voting GOP for decades now, so it's not just a trump thing. It's a brick in the way of securing FL for the Dems.

Anyway, Raul is still incarcerating and killing Cubans. The problem with the Cuba deal, is that Obama got very little for lowering sanctions and embargo. 

I do support ending Wet Foot/Dry Foot, but I'd first want to make sure the Cuban government is gonna gun down anyone we catch and send back. That's not the case now. Seeing the GOP has control over FL, they should do everything they can to not recognize this inhumane order from an outgoing lame duck potus. And Trump should not enforce this disgrace

For a president very reluctant to deport liberal voting Hispanics, and quite eager to let in radical Muslim Syrian refugees, he's sure eager to not let culturally similar Hispanics fleeing from a terror state in 

Obama's bad cause he won't deport illegal immigrants

Obama's bad cause he's deporting illegal immigrants

This is exactly what you wanted when you wanted Trump to start sending back illegal immigrants isn't it? The only reason you're upset now is because you feel you have a personal stake in the matter. 

I mean I'm not too crazy about Obama doing this either, but still the hypocrisy here is astounding.

I only want the criminal illegals gone, and mexico isn't rounding up Mexicans and executing them en masse

Cubans have been voting GOP for decades now, so it's not just a trump thing. It's a brick in the way of securing FL for the Dems.

Anyway, Raul is still incarcerating and killing Cubans. The problem with the Cuba deal, is that Obama got very little for lowering sanctions and embargo. 

I do support ending Wet Foot/Dry Foot, but I'd first want to make sure the Cuban government is gonna gun down anyone we catch and send back. That's not the case now. Seeing the GOP has control over FL, they should do everything they can to not recognize this inhumane order from an outgoing lame duck potus. And Trump should not enforce this disgrace

For a president very reluctant to deport liberal voting Hispanics, and quite eager to let in radical Muslim Syrian refugees, he's sure eager to not let culturally similar Hispanics fleeing from a terror state in 

I only want the criminal illegals gone, and mexico isn't rounding up Mexicans and executing them en masse

Yeah, because Mexico isn't a dangerous place to live right, especially with the civil war going on, but whatever I digress...

Also what basis do you have for assuming that this is an act of political vengeance other than your own biases and opinions? It could very well be that with the death of Castro Obama feels that the danger presented to Cubans that cause the policy to be instituted in the first place no longer needs to be in effect. At worst you can say for sure that it's an uninformed decision, but seriously "disgrace" and "inhumane". Stop being dramatic.

Second, of all, it's factually incorrect to call Syrian refugees radical Muslims. The vetting process for refugees, especially Syrian refugees, is extremely rigorous and not only is it extremely impractical for a terrorist but also nearly impossible. 

Seriously this is some textbook hypocrisy. You care about Cuban refugees because you have a personal stake in the matter, but Syrian refugees who are being executed by not only radical terrorist groups but also by their own president. Oh no, they're too dangerous to be let in.

Yeah, because Mexico isn't a dangerous place to live right, especially with the civil war going on, but whatever I digress...

Also what basis do you have for assuming that this is an act of political vengeance other than your own biases and opinions? It could very well be that with the death of Castro Obama feels that the danger presented to Cubans that cause the policy to be instituted in the first place no longer needs to be in effect. At worst you can say for sure that it's an uninformed decision, but seriously "disgrace" and "inhumane". Stop being dramatic.

Second, of all, it's factually incorrect to call Syrian refugees radical Muslims. The vetting process for refugees, especially Syrian refugees, is extremely rigorous and not only is it extremely impractical for a terrorist but also nearly impossible. 

Seriously this is some textbook hypocrisy. You care about Cuban refugees because you have a personal stake in the matter, but Syrian refugees who are being executed by not only radical terrorist groups but also by their own president. Oh no, they're too dangerous to be let in.

Syrians have done enough damage in Europe, and the IC said they cannot affirm that they'll be verified. 

What personal stake. And Raul Castro is still killing them. Fidel dying is nothing

He deported 396,267* of them, actually (unless I'm reading the data wrong).

*Mexicans, not Hispanics in total, from 2009 to 2014.

He deported 396,267* of them, actually (unless I'm reading the data wrong).

*Mexicans, not Hispanics in total, from 2009 to 2014.

2006 Border secure bill also stalled under him, and sanctuary cities have been emboldened. Granted, this all may not be his personal fault, but the climate he has encourage has created that sorta view

Can't say I'm inclined to agree with Ted Cruz on a lot, but, in my opinion, he's in the correct here:

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz on Friday said President Barack Obama is in denial about Trump's election and is using his remaining days in office to "lash out and do damage up to practically the moment he leaves the Oval Office."

The Texas Republican pointed specifically to Obama's decision to end the longstanding "dry foot, wet foot" policy that allows Cubans who reach the United States without visas to gain legal residency. He said the president is acting in a "bitter and petulant manner."

"This action on Cuba is yet another action designed to strike out at the Cuban Americans. He doesn't like Cuban Americans, in part because too many of us have the temerity to actually vote Republican, and that for Barack Obama is almost a hanging offense," Cruz said. "Beyond that, you know, one of his foreign policy signatures has been kissing up to Fidel Castro."

Speaking with reporters after a Texas Public Policy Foundation summit with fellow Sen. John Cornyn, Cruz described Obama's remarks after Castro's death last year as an "epic poem."

"I take that pretty personally," Cruz said. "My family ... was imprisoned and tortured by Castro, and I don't think brutal communist dictators should be lionized by the president."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXtd6QwiI0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eme4U4hFAdM

I don't think these are the words of a man in denial.

(ignore the commentary, it's irrelevant)

(seculartalk is incredible tho, i'd advise every left-leaning person to watch his vids)

He's certainly intriguing to listen to. I do listen to him time to time

Denial as in he's in shock and scrambling to put spikes in Trump's way

Sounds like you need to cut back on the sugar. Extra sweet on Putin. But you a Ru-ru boy anyway, so I can't say I blame you.

RuRu boy?

I've always held that the government needs to be a little firmer on the populace. Fair but firm. That's why I've supported the Patriot Act my whole life. That's why I want Sullivan overturned

Call me fascist or authoritarian, and all I can do is agree with you. Our government does need to be fascist and authoritarian on certain economic issues like healthcare and on natsec

Syrians have done enough damage in Europe, and the IC said they cannot affirm that they'll be verified.

Syrians haven't done that much damage in Europe.

The rapes and increase in crime that's been witnessed has been done by Morroccans and Algerian (I think?) economic migrants, not Syrian refugees. One of the flaws of the German choice was that it let an awful lot of non Syrians in at the same time. These are the people who have been causing most of the petty crime in Germany, because for the most part they are people who would be gangs in there home nations.

Even then, the uptick in crime is tiny compared to the number of people let into the country. So it's not like it's turned Germany into anarchy either.

There is also the argument that the Cuban government had very little to give if Obama refused to stop trying to encourage the Cuban workforce to flee the state with this policy. That it had to be revoked as an act of good faith towards Cuba before meaningful progress could happen.

Syrians haven't done that much damage in Europe.

The rapes and increase in crime that's been witnessed has been done by Morroccans and Algerian (I think?) economic migrants, not Syrian refugees. One of the flaws of the German choice was that it let an awful lot of non Syrians in at the same time. These are the people who have been causing most of the petty crime in Germany, because for the most part they are people who would be gangs in there home nations.

Even then, the uptick in crime is tiny compared to the number of people let into the country. So it's not like it's turned Germany into anarchy either.

There is also the argument that the Cuban government had very little to give if Obama refused to stop trying to encourage the Cuban workforce to flee the state with this policy. That it had to be revoked as an act of good faith towards Cuba before meaningful progress could happen.

Letting US firms invest in Havana is a pretty big give for Cuba. I just think if we're gonna undo WFDF, at the very least we can try to make Cuba be more tolerant to it's people. I'd have to find a citation, but Castro hasn't stopped his policies post the Obama reset

Got any citation's on that? This is the first time I have heard it and I need to make sure I am informed.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/28/americas/cuba-future-raul-castro/

And so far, human rights groups say, many of the same policies have remained in place with Raul Castro in power. The Cuban government has continued to carry out several practices that emerged under Fidel Castro's rule, including surveillance, public repudiation, beatings and arbitrary detention, according to Human Rights Watch. That approach created a "pervasive climate of fear." 

I take it with a grain of salt, because these are the same chumps who said Trump is the biggest humanitarian disaster of 2017

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/28/americas/cuba-future-raul-castro/

I take it with a grain of salt, because these are the same chumps who said Trump is the biggest humanitarian disaster of 2017

I will as well. I have a lost an enormous amount of faith in CNN as a reliable news source. However, it isn't something we should ignore. My loyalty lies with Fidel, not his brother. While I respect Raul, there are chances he may be returning to old practices with his brother now dead.

I can guarantee alot of Cuban Political punishments died down around between 2003 and 2012. Even when Raul was in power. Since Fidel has died, a part of me feels that Raul will bring back an era of Cuba that needs to stay dead.

What personal stake. And Raul Castro is still killing them. Fidel dying is nothing

You said you were pissed because it was affecting your ex's family that's the personal stake. 

Putin isn't nearly on the scale of Castro

Trump should have had firmer words for Deturte tho

I have no proof to contradict you at the moment, but I can say for sure that while Putin may not be on the scale of Castro to his own people, I can say that he has thrown support behind people who do like Assad and even Castro himself

You said you were pissed because it was affecting your ex's family that's the personal stake. 

I have no proof to contradict you at the moment, but I can say for sure that while Putin may not be on the scale of Castro to his own people, I can say that he has thrown support behind people who do like Assad and even Castro himself

I mean, so has Obama.

And Clinton.

Most politicians are friends with certain genocidal maniacs. That isn't anything new.

Archived