Remember Remember

The costs of getting it wrong are high enough to make "shooting in the dark" a bad strategy.

Then be slower. That is, accept the slowness in moderation for this half of the year but also begin a search to replace the injurious tools Nai referred to in his post. As they are replaced, efficiency will increase. There are undoubtedly more willing and competent members that have not tried yet on the forum. I certainly would, though there are others. It can begin as gradually as the rest of the processes here.

I would reiterate that bad members can also be trained to do better. Workplaces often look to training as a method of salvaging workers that might otherwise have to leave, motivation/apathy being one of many reasons training is used, though to an extent. If they really don't care then they get replaced, as they should be.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, because I'm not sure why it's coming up:

I do not wish to be moderator on this site. I do not have enough of a link to the community outside of a handful of members to fufil that side of things. I have activity limited to one forum of the site that already has a competant mod. I have no real intention of going outside of that to police things further (I would only be interested in promoting discourse, but it's a fallacy to do that in sections I can't actually contribute too). I don't really seek to improve my time upon the site because I mostly use it as a semi challenging distraction to the rest of life. Turning it into legitimate responsibility would kill my enthusiasm for this place.

Additionally, there is no way in hell I wouldn't be disproportionately harsh on Winter, if for no other reason than his style of posting serves to irritate me. I would just spend innordinate amounts of time policing him and trying to curb what I view as fallacies in his manner, as I have attempted to do (Poorly) the entire time I've known him.

Which is not the sort of thing that would be desired from a moderator here, so you know, again.

Then be slower. That is, accept the slowness in moderation for this half of the year but also begin a search to replace the injurious tools Nai referred to in his post. As they are replaced, efficiency will increase. There are undoubtedly more willing and competent members that have not tried yet on the forum. I certainly would, though there are others. It can begin as gradually as the rest of the processes here.

I would reiterate that bad members can also be trained to do better. Workplaces often look to training as a method of salvaging workers that might otherwise have to leave, motivation/apathy being one of many reasons training is used, though to an extent. If they really don't care then they get replaced, as they should be.

This is probably mostly correct, but it's harder to do than you might think.

This is probably mostly correct, but it's harder to do than you might think.

I accept that. I made sure to mention I accept the slowness and difficulty of it with "accept the slowness in moderation for this half of the year but also begin a search to replace the injurious tools." Half a year was of course pulled out of nowhere, but acknowledging the difficulty of the task in question is required in order to have permission to undertake it, like any other grueling task. As long as an attempt at productivity is made, more of the infinite actions made in the future will be toward this site's benefit than not. That means the result at any point in time is better than otherwise. For people who care about this place, that is always better than not trying. If someone can optimize the process, of course, then they should take action and let it be known.

I accept that. I made sure to mention I accept the slowness and difficulty of it with "accept the slowness in moderation for this half of the year but also begin a search to replace the injurious tools." Half a year was of course pulled out of nowhere, but acknowledging the difficulty of the task in question is required in order to have permission to undertake it, like any other grueling task. As long as an attempt at productivity is made, more of the infinite actions made in the future will be toward this site's benefit than not. That means the result at any point in time is better than otherwise. For people who care about this place, that is always better than not trying. If someone can optimize the process, of course, then they should take action and let it be known.

Right - what I mean is that usually you need not just the time to implement, but you have to meet the prerequisites, and we don't know if we've met them. If you work backwards and see a lack of motion for a long period of time, you might predict that the prerequisites aren't met.

Right - what I mean is that usually you need not just the time to implement, but you have to meet the prerequisites, and we don't know if we've met them. If you work backwards and see a lack of motion for a long period of time, you might predict that the prerequisites aren't met.

Then we should use our language as a catalyst to giving our ideas a form in this reality and outline what our prerequisites are. We can't search for something if we have no qualities to discriminate with, so I agree that establishing said qualities beforehand is required (this is true of almost anything but I'm mentioning it in case I said something that might have made me seem ignorant towards it).

I'm going to lock this thread for now, because the OP is blank and it has mostly served its purpose.

I'm going to post a more official topic later for discussion of this matter or similar issues. At that time, I ask that it remain completely civil, and that vague language be used as little as possible. If you have thoughts on the site, please think about them and have them refined for later.

Thank you.

Archived