[20AP 2nd Wave] Clashing Souls

C2bDY8gUQAACUCg-e1484711356227-197x300.p

Butsukariau Tamashii / Clashing Souls
Quick-Play Spell Card
(1) During damage calculation, when an Attack Position monster you control battles an opponent’s Attack Position monster with higher ATK: You can activate this effect; the player who controls the monster currently with the lower ATK can pay 500 LP, and if they do, the monster they control gain 500 ATK during damage calculation only. Then, repeat this effect until neither player wishes to pay LP. The battle damage inflicted by this battle becomes 0 to each player, also at the end of damage calculations, send all cards from the field of the player whose monster was destroyed by that battle to the Graveyard.

M A Y M A Y S

This card is funking hilarious. It's like a game of Texas Hold 'Em between two idiots who only know how to raise by the minimum until one person is forced to go all in, and then they both realize it really wasn't worth all the effort cuz their hands weren't all that special to begin with. It exists solely for the entertainment of the 3rd party marveling at the sheer stupidity.

Oh, so now I can do Monopoly auctions, but in yugioh. This is going to be fun.

Also, does this card ring a "Last Turn" vibe with anyone? I know it's not the same thing, but... I mean really: dependent on battle, huge cost/payoff, SS2...

It's the "Last Turn" we deserve.

One of my new favorite cards.  

The best thing is that effects aren't negated or anything so monsters that get effects through battle can potentially be amazing with this.

I'm imaging a deck skeleton of like:

3x Clashing Souls

3× Jurrac Guaiba

3× Hydrogeddon

3× Anti-Magic Arrows

3x Fossil Dig

Second Guaiba or Hydro is guaranteed a free attack if Clashing Souls goes through meaning your opponent is put into a threshold of how low they can be willing to go. Go into Laggia/Dolkka during MP2 to make restablishing the field harder for them if it isn't game or go into Cowboy for game if at that point.

I love these kind of packs for giving us stuff like this, Entertainment Duel, and Passionate Duelist.

The best thing is that effects aren't negated or anything so monsters that get effects through battle can potentially be amazing with this.

I'm imaging a deck skeleton of like:

3x Clashing Souls

3× Jurrac Guaiba

3× Hydrogeddon

3× Anti-Magic Arrows

3x Fossil Dig

Second Guaiba or Hydro is guaranteed a free attack if Clashing Souls goes through meaning your opponent is put into a threshold of how low they can be willing to go. Go into Laggia/Dolkka during MP2 to make restablishing the field harder for them if it isn't game or go into Cowboy for game if at that point.

I love these kind of packs for giving us stuff like this, Entertainment Duel, and Passionate Duelist.

Reminder that second Guaibas can't attack

As a general note, another reminder that you must not only have more LP than opponent for this to work, you must have enough LP to make up for the ATK difference between your and your opponent's monster

Reminder that second Guaibas can't attack

As a general note, another reminder that you must not only have more LP than opponent for this to work, you must have enough LP to make up for the ATK difference between your and your opponent's monster

Ah, but you don't necessarily. It depends on how low your opponent is willing to go. And, if they do decide to pay more than you, you could have been playing them, and the outcome of the battle is irrelevant as now they're on range of [insert burn spell/trap here]. This really is more Chicken Game than Chicken game and opens up a lot of mind games opportunities.

How does this interact with Honest? Can I just not pay LP but then catch my opponent off-guard and win the battle anyway?

I was wondering this too. I'm assuming you can as the last piece happens at the end of the damage calculations while Honest and its ilk resolve mid-damage calculation, right?

With that said... This in Bujins?

The currently translated text is also odd:

Quick-Play Spell Card

(1) If an Attack Position monster you control battles an opponent’s Attack Position monster with higher ATK, during damage calculation: Neither player takes any battle damage from this battle, also send all cards controlled by a player(s) whose monster is destroyed by this battle to the Graveyard after damage calculation, also the player whose battling monster has lower ATK can pay 500 LP, and if they do, their battling monster gains 500 ATK during damage calculation only, then repeat this effect until neither player pays LP.

With this text, I'm getting an impression that there's not really an "end" to the LP payment period. Meaning that even if one could activate ATK-boosting effects, the opponent could still pay LP to boost their monster. What that means for the card itself (in terms of spanning a time and whether or not things could even be activated between this card's effect and resolution)... I dunno.

Archived