[Leaderboard] Season 15 Postseason [FINAL]

Flash Flyer - Sakura

General stuff

- Whoever get 3 votes or has the most by 12:30 am 1/21/2017 wins.

- Voters need to elaborate on reps.

- Either me or the participants reserve the right to reject votes or request more explanation.

- I reserve right to tiebreak in the event of 0-0 or tied scores.

- All voters will get reps for accepted votes.

Theme

Make a card based on Zootopia

===

Card A

Berserker's Blossom

Trap | Continuous

Level/ Rank 4 or lower monster cannot attack. You can send this face-up card from your field to the Graveyard; Change all monsters on the field to face-up Attack position (Flip effects are not activated), and if you do, negate their effects, also they must attack during the next Battle Phase, if able.

Card B

wild_times_amusement_park_by_bdsceptyr-d

Wild Times Amusement Park

Spell | Field

Once per turn, during either player's Main Phase: You can have all face-up Beast, Beast-Warrior and Winged Beast-Type monsters you control gain 100 ATK and DEF for each Spell/Trap Card on the field until the end of the next turn, and if you do, if this card has no Ticket Counters on it, place 1 Ticket Counter on this card for each of those Spell/Trap Cards. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a card(s) on the field would be destroyed or banished by a card effect, you can remove 1 Ticket Counter from this card for each of those cards instead. Once per turn, when a counter(s) is removed from a card on the field: All monsters on the field, except for Beast, Beast-Warrior and Winged Beast-Type monsters, lose 100 ATK and DEF for each counter on cards on the field.

====

This was supposed to be a three-way, but as Yuri didn't submit a card nor request an extension, well he's out of the final (and gets 3rd by default). So yeah, it's a regular 1v1.

Anyway, you know what to do with this by now.

Well, time to end the Postseason with a tiebreaker vote.

Card A

Let's see, card is basically an enhanced/inverted Gravity Bind that hits Xyz; not really bad, but at the same time, not as useful considering higher Level/Rank stuff does see play often nowadays. Then again, it does tie into what the Night Howlers did in the movie; make whoever got affected crazy and attack, which is certainly reflected here (though it doesn't prevent the opponent from playing their stuff in Defense Position and not suiciding their monsters in you). But hey, it does negate stuff so protection/lock effects are off.

If anything, you can at least use it to get your opponent into a vulnerable position to attack their stuff / damage them. 

Card B

(Ohai concept that got cut out of final film)

Anyway, this is another support card for Beasts (and the other two; not mentioning them much b/c they more/less got good support in generic form), which is nice. Stat boost is small, yes, though it's dependent on how much backrow is out at the time; at a minimum, you're at least get 1 counter on this card because it counts itself, but otherwise, it can't really benefit too much if you don't set up a lot of counters. Then again, if you do set up enough, then you have some insurance against removal effects (which are really common nowadays).

Not too sure if Spell Counter decks are even relevant nowadays (don't think they are outside of Spellbooks / RML Exodia, and even then...), but the last effect does got well with this card's own removal effect. Admittedly, it would probably punish the former for Spell spamming a lot back in their prime, but nowadays, not really seeing it outside of the card's internal detach. Not bad, but yeah.

In other words, either you set up a lot of backrow (and maybe Scales) and get a lot of counters on this, or hope your opponent has enough cards for you to mooch from.

====

So what do we have otherwise?

Card A: Inverted Gravity Bind for Xyz and otherwise Battle Mania with negation (roughly). Based on Night Howlers.

Card B: Beast support that's reliant on a high amount of backrow/Scales to work at its maximum (though with common plays, it should be able to generate enough counters to do stuff), protection effect that can chain off its other effect to weaken stuff. Based on Wild Times (which doesn't have much to offer in terms of comparative stuff b/c it was scrapped.)

=====

A has its merits for blocking stuff and forcing the opponent to suicide, but that can/will backfire since you too have to battle with protection off.

B is basically limited to Beasts, and again, is reliant on a sizable backrow to generate enough counters to protect your stuff. However, you should be able to get enough for a while, and the stat drop is generally minimal compared to keeping your stuff alive. For what it does, gives Beasts some form of protection (including support stuff if needed).

(I would make a remark about the interactions my ZPD stuff would have with this, but since we are focusing on cards in the Konami pool, yeah...)

=====

In the long run, think I prefer B for giving Beasts some added protection since they really do need help nowadays (Konami, stop stroking your ego and start helping other Types become more proficient) and suppose it can also chain against other stuff.

A isn't bad, but in a similar vein to how Gravity Bind isn't used too much nowadays, not seeing the first effect working out much, except against 'tellars or whatever low Rank decks that exist nowadays. Second one is fine.

(Both cases did well on the flavor notes)

=====

So yeah, card B gets this one, and by extension, BDS wins the Postseason.

I admit that it's been a very awkward Postseason (or really, a small Season 15 than what we had in previous years) and that we had less than a full batch of competitors, but yeah, thanks to all of you who actually participated in this thing.

I'll award prizes and stuff later on; also have to determine whether/not Season 16 will go up (considering Striker is absent again, and I might have to run this for another couple months).

Archived