Seth Plays Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Sethera

Heya guys. It's been a while. Decided to start a new game called Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. For those that don't know about Fire Emblem, it's a series of tactical role-playing games in a medieval fantasy setting. So basically, has magic, magic swords, magic dragons, magic knights, magic princesses, all that fun stuff. Though to be honest the magic takes a backseat to the characterization and combat. Sometimes plot. As for this game...

I guess the first thing you should know about it is that it's a remake of a different game. The very first Fire Emblem game, in fact, called Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light. While I've never played the original (seeing no need to as a remake exists), I have played Gaiden, the second created FE game, so I can safely say the gameplay was probably vastly different than in its remake. Which, speaking of...

Well. It sucks. Plain and simple. I guess it has its good points, such as its music and its sequel, which I haven't played. I've vowed not to play the sequel until I've finished Shadow Dragon. The sequel itself is a bit difficult to get ahold of, as it was released only in Japan, which is apparently a shame, but oh well. Shadow Dragon itself though, has the annoying concept of Gaiden chapters, wherein you recruit a character because another character died. That's right. To unlock all the characters, you have to kill off your prior characters.

Oh yeah. Suppose I should mention that people die in these games. Usually I soft reset to keep them, but I might not do that this time around, since character-killing is apparently an incentive in this game. So you all get to watch me struggle through a sadistic game. Fun. Also note that this is a blind let's play, so I might ask any Shadow Dragon-savvy readers for tips on reclassing, recruiting, things like that.

Will probably try and get an update out soonish.

Ooooh boy. This'll be fun.

In terms of the Gaiden Chapters, I recommend making seperate save files (one where you play without Gaidens and one where you make blood sacrifices of your units to access them), just for the sake of showing them off. If you decide to do that, it would probably help if you show the stats of your units during each file switch, for comparison's sake and whatnot.

Also there is one Gaiden Chapter where you need to let a certain character die while not having a certain item (or have said character die while holding it, forget which) in order to access it, but you probably knew that already.

Good luck, soldier. o7

Prologue Part 1
Hello all, and welcome to the first part of the let's play. First off, is the game plan. I'm probably going to do this game on hard mode. Which hard mode...well, that's still up in the air. I might continue on normal, even, though I've heard that's ridiculously easy. And no, I'm not doing H5, also called Merciless, which is apparently like Awakening's Lunatic+. I'm pretty sure that would shred what little video game sanity I have remaining.

However, because I want this to be sort of complete-ish, I will first be doing a separate file on Normal, which includes the prologue. Hard modes skip the prologue, which I can understand to an extent, but for the sake of letting you guys see everything, I'll be showcasing that part.

And, after an hour of agonizing over whether to use the American or European version of the game, I have decided on the American. So without any further ado, let's start!

[spoiler=Prologue Part 1]

Opening Video

BGM
hiJgRw4.png
giving rise to an age of fear and despair for all its people.

m83ssY7.png
A young man hailing from the Altea region appeared with a divine blade in hand. Fang of dragon and blade of light locked in battle; and in the end, blade prevailed. For some time after, the land enjoyed an age of peace.

Xs8T23Z.png
He forged an alliance with a fiendish sorcerer who sought to rule the world, and their combined might toppled kingdom upon unsuspecting kingdom. Again, darkness threatened to engulf the continent.

1TBQCmB.png
to sally forth with the divine blade and fulfill his blood destiny.

UvhMKE4.png
and a garrison manned by Altea's neighbor and ally, Gra. Thus the boy applied himself to the ways of both pen and sword, until one day...

F8BkJhd.gif
This is the screen that shows during the prologue. It's a nice little animation. Most Fire Emblem games have neat little animations like that to divide chapters, which I always liked.

AqJIQow.png
The top screen is a sort of default placeholder they use on the overworld map, when you're supposed to be paying attention to the other screen. Not really important, but I thought I'd point it out. Meanwhile, a soldier is running across what looks to be a sort of castle battlement

2l8Blyw.png
Same concept here, with the bottom screen showing an embroidered dragon while the characters talk above. Also you'll notice how very...young Marth looks here. A lot different than what is shown on most official art, in Smash, or even in Awakening.

QdooWOI.png
Based off what the soldier said, both Marth and this Elice are royalty. From that, I'd guess they are siblings.

QCVuC9w.png
He's not already dressed? Because he sure looks like he is.

TFARDYW.png
It doesn't take much to do, but I like how the characters that aren't speaking are shaded out. It's just enough to make the other speaker stand out.

gVJziiu.png
"There seems to 'ave been some sort of incident, but... Well, I'm not privy to the specifics."

BVyXsyG.png
To reiterate. The main continent of this place is called Archanea. There are multiple countries/regions on the map, including a country named after the continent, called Akaneia on the map--the map is using the Nintendo of Japan version of the names--I couldn't find a good world map that had the American localization on it. Or is the continent named after the country? I guess we'll find out. You'll notice some of the names might remind you of real-world locations. One thing Fire Emblem loves to do is take names from actual regions like Macedon or Lycia. Most of them, I've noticed, seem to come from the Mediterranean/Middle east, however the climate seems very much medieval Europe. Though it does explain some of the names they've taken, such as myrmidon...

By the way, Altea is Aritia (yes, Engrish ahoy) on the map. As you can see, it's a super small country, which is kind of surprising considering it has a great hero originating from it and all... Power of the underdog, I guess. The United Kingdom has shown us all that it's not always about size.
TEJhmNY.jpg

cV90NGz.png
"An incident in Gra... If Elice has news of our father, I pray it's good news..."

BGM
TV5ShNm.png
Thus starts the actual gameplay of the game. Since I'm playing on Normal mode for the prologue, little pop-up tutorials will show up. I included this to let you know what they look like, but I won't be screenshotting every single one. By the way, the Player Phase means that we're on our turn. Which means that every single unit under our control can all move and act. After we're done, it's the enemy's turn, then any allied or neutral units.

iZr3qUX.png
So now Marth is on the battlement that the soldier was on just earlier. We can also check out his stats, which I'll explain here. Str (strength) affects attack power, Mag (magic) affects magical power, Skill affects accuracy, Spd (speed) affects how often you attack and how often the enemy does, Lck (luck) affects critical hit rate, Def (defense) affects resistance to str-based attacks, and Res (resistance) affects resistance to mag-based attacks. Now, as I'm doing this blind, I'm not at all savvy on Shadow Dragon's specific classes or their stats, but I can say that Marth is a lord, and from the looks of it, his class specializes in high speed, luck, and defense with decent strength. His skill is fairly low which is a bit...bad, though hopefully that will increase. Magic power and resistance are at 0, which is normal for physical attackers like him. Just don't send him near a mage and we should be good to go.

ExqPxZT.png
Movement in Fire Emblem is done through grid system. So if you have ever played Final Fantasy Tactics or its Advanced sequels, it's similar, except that it's not isometric, but instead a flat, top-down system. Very useful for the style of gameplay we'll be doing. Once we get to our destination, we can hit "wait," just like in FFT, to sit out the rest of that unit's turn. However, it doesn't look like things will go so peacefully...

BGM
fOJl25M.pngePDVtzr.png
There are a few "red" or enemy units coming south. How did these people even get into the castle anyway?

lZ6apQI.png
Marth is just as confused.

rWbv3Do.png
"And if you know what's good for you, you'll surrender to us without makin' any trouble."

QVB0fVv.png
Yeah, that doesn't really make sense, does it? Still, it doesn't seem like they're allies at the moment...

ZQA6AK6.png
"No matter. You'll 'ave the full story soon enough. Now...lay down your sword."

JX7nLFe.png
"I will not yield to you or any other nation, here on my own land, under my own castle roof!"
I like this part. It shows characterization, something the game isn't really known for. Marth is a young, proud princess prince, used to having things his way.

tt5L4dn.png
"Have it your way. If you won't lay down your sword, then we'll just have to take your life instead!"

BGM
7lVvPyG.png
Thus starts the "enemy phase." This screenshot here has quite a bit of information on it. It shows that there are four red units and one blue (player) unit, as well as their locations. Also where the throne is (that yellow square). We're on the first turn, and the key to victory is seizing that throne. Sounds simple enough, right?

rMMxzGO.pngU9Xnvo5.png
The Gra forces have moved down. Two against one, this isn't good! However, you might have noticed that Marth is in a bottleneck area. Bottlenecks are great for this game, because it means that the enemies can only attack you one at a time. A bottleneck at the right time can make the difference between victory and defeat. Well, it would be if these guys weren't so pathetic. As it is, we'll just have Marth move forward.

A note though. You probably know what Lv, HP, and E mean. Level, hit points, and experience. However, the others you might be less familiar with. Atk is attack, Crit is critical, or the chance that your attack will critical, Hit is accuracy, and Avo is avoid, or the chance you'll avoid something. Mov and Rng are movement and range respectively, or how far you can move and your attack range. The fighter has an E rank in axes, which means that while he can use them, he sucks at using them. Floor shows that the terrain (floor), doesn't provide any bonuses.

AcjhLyP.png
The Combat Forecast here is showing quite a lot of information. Let's break it down a little. Marth is using the iron sword (as weapons have durabilities here I'm saving his rapier for later). It has a durability of 40, meaning that after using it 40 times, it'll break and you'll have to buy a new sword. His HP is 18, and his damage is 7, but the x2 next to it means he can attack twice. He also has a 100% chance of hitting the enemy, and a 1% chance of performing a critical. The enemy fighter, on the other hand, isn't doing so hot. With less HP, dealing only 2 damage, and a 66% chance of hitting with no chance at all for a critical, he's pretty much doomed. Now why is that? Well, his stats suck, but also because of the weapon triangle.

Just like rock-paper-scissors, Fire Emblem has a similar triangle. Swords > Axes > Lances > Swords. As Marth is using a sword, he has the advantage in this fight.

BGM
Ic4MGu9.gifk5RQzHz.png
Decided to show you all what the animations look like here. A bit more jagged than in some other games, but it gets the job done. There are also nice little guides down at the bottom showing what we saw in the combat forecast earlier. We got a bit of experience from that fight too.

PZEys6e.png45P43fP.png
The next fighter decides to attack our plucky protagonist as well, but Marth shows him exactly who the hero-king is here. Spoiler: it's not the fighter.

nFeeLRL.png
Moving up in the world.

7wjGx7b.png
However, Marth's movements attract the attention of a very dangerous foe. A soldier uses lances, and lances have the advantage on swords, which our unlucky prince uses.

BGM
BF1tz3a.png
Ouch!

rBYljOU.pngFfCUAd7.png
However, Marth's superior speed grants him the ability to double attack, putting him back on even footing.

MdseRXd.png
And with that, we have defeated him! This calls for a...

w9w7XTB.pnguo6A1ld.png
Now, you're generally guaranteed better stat increases if you wait for the enemy to attack you first when you're on the cusp of a level. However, I decided not to take that risk, seeing as we still have one more enemy to fight after this guy, and another attack would bring us down to low HP. As for the level-up itself...well. Not the best, but speed is definitely something worth leveling in. Then again, this won't matter after the prologue, anyway.

kpuh8oj.png
Now that that's over with, let's approach the throne. This is where Princess Elice was going to meet Marth, but she's nowhere to be seen. And enemies are here too...smells like a trap! This isn't the first time a royal has tried to kill off their sibling.

IoltovU.pngB3Zxkls.pngahwP5Ai.png
"I have to get rid of him before my sister arrives!"

Mister soldier doesn't like the idea of us taking that throne though. Somebody has delusions of grandeur. Secretly, he dreams of throwing off the yoke of soldierhood and becoming the dictator-king of Altea. He will win accolades and honors after presenting Prince Marth's head on a pike. He's got it in the bag. After all, how challenging could a lord be?

DzZWPUG.png
Pretty challenging if you suck this much. Well, I'll give him a bit of credit. Overall, he's well-rounded but weak, but Marth is strong where it counts, plus he's had time to level up, even if it didn't do much for him.

p5jxy1S.pngHIXLdh2.png
Marth shows off his skill at double attacking and the ability of his cape to flap magically in the wind. Also apparently we are indoors and not on the battlements over a moat like I had thought earlier.

rOjCf1t.pngTZfgPtF.pngU59PTpA.png
It's hard to see here since I didn't capture it fast enough, but whenever anybody is standing on a special location such as a throne, fort, or healing circle, they get healed at the beginning of their turn. Thus, our enemy gets a bonus to his health.

Ei4tNsp.png
Thus ends the ambitions of enemy soldier B.

3Ip6GgS.png
What's left for us but to seize the day? With that, we've fulfilled the requirements for victory. This calls for a victory dance.  :7596_key:

BGM
4EHmDZo.pngIRlmmtk.png
Enter the princess! Wearing the vestments of a healer. Seems this probably isn't a betrayal...or is it?!

cHRVLzh.png
Stop being so trusting, Marth! Before you know it, you'll be stabbed in the back!

UeWLhlJ.png
Uh-oh.

JX4KqKs.png
I KNEW IT! I frigging knew it! See? This is why you don't trust royal siblings. She's gonna go all Hamlet on Marth!

NjWTxtn.png
Okay, fiiine. Let's go back to the vanilla plot.

ydvPS6u.png
See? Marth hates the plot too.

fi4qoOK.png
"I am... I am not sure if he is safe. The scouts who returned gave conflicting reports..."

iMhoVB0.png
I think one of my biggest beefs with this game is the lack of expressions. Seriously, it doesn't take that much effort to change that stuff.

vs6XA7R.png
See? Beautiful, isn't it? XD

OcKf10O.png
"I do not know where she is."

yku3I6P.png
Back to the lack of expressions. This is a really serious moment, but all they did is make Marth close his eyes. I guess it could be considered characterization. Marth is trying to be strong, even when his world is all but crashing down around him.

7iFUZen.png
Seems bravery is in the blood.

ggOG7vH.png
Yeah, Marth isn't too thrilled to hear that. Neither am I. Elice is the true mastermind, I just know it!

Hnn8D6W.png
"I will look for Mother and join you as soon as I can. You find Jagen and get away from here- far away. Understand?"

kk72jYQ.png
I have a bad feeling about this...

a4AHLHL.pngWnd1RZp.png
Bad feeling just got worse...

So ends the first part of the prologue. Not all updates will be this long, or even this short. It really depends on what I feel is the right length to stop. Here was a good place.
So I decided about halfway through not to use two-screen images anymore, as they take up a bit more room than necessary. If I ever want to show a dual screen, I'll just post them separately side by side.

[spoiler=Characters]

i5sipxn.png

Marth - Lord
HP - 80
Str - 50
Mag - 0
Skl - 40
Spd - 50
Lck - 70
Def - 20
Res - 2
Marth is our main character and lord. Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, he's rather naive due to a sheltered upbringing. His world has just collapsed around him but somehow he maintains the same expression. That's real skill.

His growths are as shown above. A brief explanation on growths. Just like in many other RPGs, every time you level up, you gain a bonus to a stat. The numbers above are the percent chances that Marth will level up in that stat. So his highest percentage is hit points at eighty percent, which is normal, and his lowest is magic, where no matter what happens, he will never gain an increase in that stat. This is fine as he's a physical unit, so magic is basically useless to him. He also has great luck, which is kind of ironic. Overall, a decent unit, which is good, as we'll be seeing a lot of him.

FWhrHJI.png
Elice
Her default expression is a grave and somber face. Dignified, she seems to share the same heroic nature as the rest of her family. Is secretly an evil mastermind just like Uncle Scar.

xnmc4vy.png

Enemy Soldier B
He was going to be so great...he couldn't wait to be king. Now he's the king of dirt naps.

Oooooooh boy, this is gonna be good!

Thanks! I hope so anyway.

Ooooh boy. This'll be fun.

In terms of the Gaiden Chapters, I recommend making seperate save files (one where you play without Gaidens and one where you make blood sacrifices of your units to access them), just for the sake of showing them off. If you decide to do that, it would probably help if you show the stats of your units during each file switch, for comparison's sake and whatnot.

Also there is one Gaiden Chapter where you need to let a certain character die while not having a certain item (or have said character die while holding it, forget which) in order to access it, but you probably knew that already.

Good luck, soldier. o7

Hmm I might do that. Honestly not sure since that sounds like a lot of work just to show a stupid part of the game. Plus, this is a blind playthrough, so I'm thinking I'll just see what happens as I play through. But thanks! I'll need it...

Is Lucina in this one

yes

genderbent

female lucina alright

No, no, you see, Awakening has Marth, and Shadow Dragon has Girl Marth.

Yes, this has game has the prettiest Fire Emblem princess that ever princess'd.

Prologue Part 2
Decided to do the second part right away. No guarantees the next part will come so soon though.

[spoiler=Prologue Part 2]

WeVpk0h.png

BGM
1TtYUQH.pngE38656H.png
Huh, some new faces. And from the way they address Marth, they're on our side.

2Tvl4It.png1COGzqY.pngpAhjaJS.png
Well, things are looking up now that we have two stalwart knights, I mean cavaliers, to protect Marth. Shouldn't take us long to leave this mess behind us and find a safe harbor.

...Also, Marth looks really smug in that first panel, which is kind of hilarious.

4NXr80z.pngPXDnGmh.png
Hmm, I guess I spoke too soon. Enemies below and to the side of us.

vMezyt4.pngw32KK17.png
I'm not really sure how Jagen and the others are the ones in trouble, rather than us. After all, they're already outside, but we're still trapped in the castle.

BGM
Ljl1sPd.pngeL3N7jv.png
So the situation is as follows. We are the trio of blue dots in the upper right corner of the minimap. We have two enemies to our left, and, going down the stairs, three in wait. They have double our numbers, but we have Princess Marth!

FdMKWSP.pngnvFe2ks.pngnuHTnJ1.png
We also have these two. Now, cavaliers are great units. They have horses, which translates to a high movement. They also have the ability to use two weapon types: swords and lances. Not only that, but they have decent strength and defense. So why would you not fill your whole army with cavaliers? Because sometimes I'm tempted to.
Well, forests for one. Cavaliers have a hard time on anything but flat terrain. They also have bad resistance. Overall, though, they're pretty great.

BGM
XbfCrNw.pngTkmLtDQ.png
Javelins are a unique weapon. Unlike most other lances, you can actually throw these from afar. From one tile away, to be exact. Which means that if the enemy doesn't have a weapon with range, they can't fight back. Of course, that reverse works too, so you have to be careful whenever you see an enemy with a javelin. They're also convenient in that they can still work against close-range foes too, but they're usually not as effective as a regular iron lance for that. Abel ends up killing the soldier he's up against.

jipkN6K.png
Frey attacks the fighter, but his lower speed works against him, resulting in only one attack.

BGM
57JN0cY.png
"Ho ho... What's this? I spy the Altean prince. Oi, listen up, you lot! Bag the prince! Dead or alive, he'll fetch us as sweet a reward as the mind can conjure."
Yet another soldier with dreams of grandeur.

TPkLrPC.png3SkAPve.png
I guess it's up to us to shatter them.

Ni8r9hV.png
Meanwhile Marth proves oblivious to the dreams of the enemy, and instead comments on the archers. Like javelins, bows can attack from afar, however, they can only attack from afar. You can't really shoot an arrow at somebody right next to you, after all. Well, you can, but they'd probably be able to attack you before you could.

6KXymrG.pngnW18djW.png
I position Abel next to the archer, as he'll be able to fight back with his javelin. Frey is higher up, and Marth decides to attack the soldier, leaving him with 2 HP.

EVBgsUl.pngTiXxIpj.pngF6q2zJx.png
The archer attacks Abel and the soldier decides that Frey makes a better target than Marth. Much to his despair.

sSuE0CJ.png53Et695.pngXqzRbdK.png
Marth finishes off the archer that attacked Abel and Frey decides to attack the archer. The archer retaliates on his turn but when Frey's comes around his sword is enough to defeat the enemy.

z7DS9tq.pngVWmbDaV.png
I like to use the lord a lot, especially against bosses, so I send Marth against the "boss" that's not really a boss at all. However he's too weak to finish him off in two blows. He needs some backup.

giCeyVz.pngBf5JQZa.png
And Abel is more than happy to serve. I really like Abel so far. Seems reliable. Too bad his stats will be reset after the prologue, but oh wells.

kWOpKZQ.png
...Actually, maybe thats a good thing.

BGM
qoUyFha.pngOeDsXi8.png
So this is Jagen, huh... Well. He looks old and experienced. With him on our side, we'll be unstoppable!
...At least, until the other units start surpassing him.

X4dTBwI.pngKl15uyC.pnge26TIuF.png
Here it shows that Marth knows his people. Seems that while Altea is a small country, it is a close one. Everybody knows everybody. Gossip must run amok here.

gjEp7fn.pngmGAQlBI.png
Another thing about this game is the localization. "Yow!"? What the heck? Marth is henceforth going to be called Prince Yow!

jPnY9R7.png
It fits perfectly.

oqg5Z2L.pngFRBR1aj.png
Apparently Cain is supposed to be heavily wounded, but we can't see it from here. Or maybe it's just the red armor makes it hard to tell.

CEDgJUA.pngBSyJuOT.png
Jagen here to put some common sense in the group. And a bit of humor. Imagine saying those words with a straight face. XD

1tz9Uo7.png
I always imagine this is said with a bit of sarcasm. More likely it's said straight, but still.

Meanwhile...
BGM
CJkQiGB.pngeBjGQSs.pngRQgF6IO.png
Somehow, I knew this was going to happen.

nga9XIP.png
She's staying behind as the evil mastermind, of course.

VNRs4Ov.pngXPLmV4s.pngkTWx214.pngm07Gew8.png
An eerie echo of what Exalt Emmeryn said in Awakening when she decided to return to Ylisstol. Or rather, Emmeryn is an echo of Elice. Actually, Ylisse, Elice...those sound rather similar. It's probably just coincidence, though.
Also, I'm not sure if you noticed, but she's smiling in that last panel. That just shows how minuscule the expressions are here. :T

YG5r7O9.pngYUw6L3P.png
Yow! She decided to play the royalty card.

8KEkHEg.png
I don't really understand that. Why can't she wield it too? Is Falchion biased against girls? But we already saw that it wasn't. So maybe Elice just sucks at swordfighting. Or maybe it decided not to "choose" her, I don't know. I remember Lucina mentioning that only a select few in the royal bloodline are able to wield it. I guess Marth is one of them.
...What am I saying, of course he's one of them.

RsgglZA.png
This sounds ominous. I guess she's saying when the rest are dead, Malledus will at least be by Marth's side, teaching him how to be great. But really, this girl is just throwing her life away! For shame! She must have an evil plot in mind.

7rL2QOI.pngyjOsTpq.png
While Malledus is still coming to terms with abandoning the princess to her fate, said princess wastes no time in hurrying him along. To her, there is something more important than sentiment. And that is the safety of her brother. Or her evil plot.

5frb55I.pngo48352f.pngGL6hl1T.png
With one last backwards glance toward Princess Elice, Malledus flees the castle.

And that's where we stop for today.

[spoiler=Characters]

QEJnep2.png

Frey - Cavalier
HP - 80
Str - 35
Mag - 0
Skl - 55
Spd - 55
Lck - 45
Def - 20
Res - 0

Unlike most cavaliers, Frey has an aura of distinguished wisdom about him, probably because of his beard. Maybe he received his spurs later on than most. Who knows. He's also a pretty good unit as you can see. Decent growths all around, except for the ones that don't matter and defense.

DU22INM.png
Abel - Cavalier
HP - 65
Str - 40
Mag - 0
Skl - 50
Spd - 50
Lck - 25
Def - 20
Res - 0
Abel is another great unit. So far the beginning of our army is looking pretty good. I think this is part of the reason why later on bothered me so much. Sacrificing units you grow attached to and have served you well is something that's just hard to swallow. Abel is also all green, if you hadn't noticed. Yes, he is one half of the red and green cavalier duo. His nickname is also the Panther, which fits because he has shown himself to have high speed with the ability to double most enemies.

PkuYdbP.png
Malledus
Malledus was only briefly shown, but he seems to be the wise sage type of guy. Which is good, because Marth doesn't seem all that smart, no offense. He'll need someone with experience to guide him in these troubled times.

Prologue Part 3
Hello, I'm back, posting another update when I should be asleep already. I blame Hakima for guilt-tripping me with "If you let this die I will never know how Shadow Dragon ends." So this update is dedicated to the real-life red cavalier. XP

[spoiler=Prologue Part 3]

BGM
0K9SzaU.png
This is the world map. So it looks like, at the moment, we're at a castle of some sort. Probably the one we just fled from.

EzRXQGg.pngHHy3tHe.pngf1I3FaX.png
This is kind of grim. Then again, that's Fire Emblem for you. I wonder how people reacted to that when they played through the game this remake is based off of. Well, the fact that it's a long-running series is answer enough, I suppose.

BGM
Jqtm7r9.pngm1r7Qrb.png7hn89Yd.png
Reminder that near the end of the last part, we got two new units, one of whom was already injured prior to joining us. Also, seems he has something to tell us.

zP754tm.png
...Oh.

txv5xTj.png
Even now, he is still expressionless. Marth, you cold, cold man...boy.

LhefIYo.pnguepKfHc.png
I love how I seem to have really good timing on capturing the blinks. Cain looks pissed.

18zH5U6.png20i8b5u.png6GNOa2m.png
No pressure though.

ZgtJZVP.png
That's about all anybody can ask of ya, Marth. Sheesh, feeling sorry for the poor kid now.

Va4t2yv.pngcpdaHTJ.pngsXFzfnR.png
Cue impassioned speech from Cain. I always felt that this would be better delivered with some good voice acting and, of course, more expression. The angry eyebrows add something to it, at least.

BtAKQAh.png
My timing's so fly it's up in the sky.

3bD7c6a.png
Jagen, who had been bringing up the rear, gallops down to join us.

N9ijl98.png37iya8O.png
If you hadn't figured it out yet, the homes he means are these...uhh...houses. Yeah.

R6jgVM0.png
So basically, what he's trying to tell us is that, if you are ever lost or confused, you might learn a few things from visiting homes. They can give you tips, alert you of a potential recruit, or even tell you how to defeat a boss. But first...

BGM
csK9loE.png6HrzN7b.png
Let's check out our units! Cain, unlike Frey or Abel, is more adept with a sword than a lance, though we'll be using plenty of both in this let's play. His stats are pretty similar to Frey's, but his skill is a point lower in exchange for his higher luck. Jagen is a paladin, which is the promotion for cavalier. Unlike later Fire Emblem games, there are no options when you promote. You promote to a single class, which for cavaliers, is a paladin. So he's basically a better cavalier. Seems there's no reason not to use him, right?

Wrong. Jagen is infamous. Probably the most so out of all the units when it comes to archetypes. The Jagen, or Jeigan archetype, means a unit who comes to you already promoted, is stronger than the rest of your group, but by late-game is near-useless. The way levels work, a unit can reach level 20 and promote to a stronger class. After that they restart at level 1, or the level that Jagen is at, and go all the way to 20 again. However, then they stop growing. So even though Jagen is stronger than Cain, Cain has twice the amount of levels to work with before he reaches his peak.

jkWI4DF.png
One thing I mentioned that I dislike about this game is the way it severely limits the amount of units you can use. I like Awakening's ability to grind for that reason--because I like knowing I can use any of the characters if I want to. I might want to use Ricken for a map and Miriel for a different one. But with this...I can't. And that really bugs me. Anyway, I have three cavaliers and one paladin. I'm only going to be using two of them, and because I can't resist patterns, I choose Cain and Abel, though Frey is a really good unit. Regardless, I give Frey's iron lance and vulnerary to Abel, leaving him his iron sword in case he needs to defend himself. Though he shouldn't, since I'll be keeping him well out of the way of any action.

mrJDj6f.pngpmbLr3Z.png
Because of his high movement and being a Jagen, or the Jagen, actually, Jagen makes a perfect "visiting" unit. Let's see what the owner of this house has to say.

xymrUjJ.pngcOPryt4.png
That's good advice! Also called baiting, or fishing, it's when you put a unit on the very edge of an enemy's radar. They come over to attack, and then you attack them. For those used to traditional RPGs, you might be a bit confused by the concept, but those who have played any tactical RPGs know what I'm talking about.

3HiVzs6.png
Basically, a character can only move so far in a given turn. This goes for enemies too. If you rush headlong into a bunch of enemies, they can all attack you at once. However, if you only go far enough that only the closest enemy can reach you, then the other ones won't follow (hopefully). Then you can just take that enemy out, and then bait the next one. Until they're all gone! This is my favorite method of fighting in Fire Emblem games, and probably the most boring, but it's also probably the most practical.

JRd5qUp.png
Here we see the very edge of this enemy's reach. If we stay where we are, then they won't be able to attack us. But then we wouldn't be able to progress through the game either. I guess the moral of the story is: be brave.

P4MFxf0.pngcQohsen.png
Again, we are outnumbered two to one. Actually, more than three to one. No matter. We shall prevail! Also these guys are scrubs, so yeah. The soldier in the bottom right is the soldier that is closest to us, and the one we will be targeting first.

2u72wiJ.png
I know I said I'm careful, but look here! I'm defying my own rules. Putting a unit within the range of two enemies. Because that red field is actually the range of a different enemy, not the soldier's. Still, I think my cavalier will be abel to handle this.

BpoJ4tq.png4ZbutRV.png
Because it's Abel...get it? Able? Abel? No? Oh, okay...don't mind me.

5h8FnED.png
He's not a one-man army though. Hopefully, that will be our lord later on in the game. Anyway, I send the others down as backup.

LZgO5pY.png4WxvQnw.png1csi1Tn.png
Oh yeah. They don't know that she's not planning on escaping, period. So all of this effort will be for nothing. How sad.

dzp71eS.png
The latest: an enemy attacks Abel and dies for it. We will remember you, brave soldier. For all of one second. Maybe less. Wait, what were we talking about, again?

dqYwbej.png
Another useful tip to keep in mind. Not much to say there that hasn't been said. I'm starting to like these "tutorials," since they basically mean less work for me to explain things. Though I think I already explained how cavaliers suck with terrain.

L0y3hA8.png
A couple of the enemies moved closer, now. But that's fine. We can take 'em!

m14JRsk.pngLNq3CuU.png7hHcYpj.png
I move Marth to attack the archer, where he gains another level! And I can't really complain about it either. Nothing wrong with getting more swole.

fTX9Uzx.pngEB3J6yL.png
Abel finished off the archer, and Cain takes on the soldier by himself and wins. Also I had Abel use his sword because I want him to git gud with swords too, though I suppose it doesn't matter much as I'll be restarting this when the prologue finishes. Also Frey and Jagen exist...kind of.

lEH9OvE.png
Another good thing to keep in mind. Anyway, I decide to send Frey and Jagen off to visit some houses.

1p8tHIt.pngYiEO2N7.pngeFvIPM6.png
All right, so this guy agrees with me, see? Only bad thing about this is that if somebody decided not to visit this house and was a complete newb, they wouldn't know about this, and overuse Jagen. Oh well. I guess we all have to learn sometime. At least for me the guy I overused was an Oifey so it wasn't so bad. Oifeys are basically better Jagens btw.

d0WAq4Q.png
I think I already mentioned this, so you're a bit late, sonny!

KhOQ3yF.png
Sending Cain and Marth over the bridge to deal with the enemies. I think Abel's had quite enough experience for now, so I decide to send him to the nearby house.

8tQcPZA.png
Another thing I already mentioned. Thanks, I guess... :/

8wMVGfU.png
Another one bites the dust!

54SCpgw.png
Marth is just offscreen, two squares away from Cain. And we have two fighters. Both Cain and Marth are good with swords. This looks like it's going to be a slaughterhouse. And while we're at it, let's have Cain visit a house.

yl7OlYj.pngU0VNBrL.png
Another useful tip.

wYsPL5l.png
Marth points out some mages offscreen. While the same logic applies to archers, archers have that one fatal weakness: not being able to attack from up close, while mages can attack both up close and far away. This makes them dangerous. But they're usually pretty squishy, too.

F10Zc9l.pngMqQGgMQ.png
Anyway, I forgot that Cain isn't as fast as Abel and doesn't double. Also I forgot that one of them had a hand axe. Thankfully, Marth is fairly agile.

cORGTk8.pngSElvjB5.png
Marth attacks hand axe Gra fighter, but he can also attack up close, just for less damage than an iron axe would do. They're pretty versatile, not gonna lie.

g5Ayo5p.pngvxFpuzZ.png
Cain defeats his bandit and gets a measly level up. But strength is good.

PPkTdq0.pngXfaZkx9.pngOGZHPe1.png
I bring Abel in to attack the archer that moved down and even the score a bit. He gets a pretty great level up, if I do say so myself.

BGM
GsM0Z4x.pngpGEv0Ce.png
Only problem with that is now everybody wants to attack him. Maybe if it weren't 3 AM I'd have foreseen this, but, f*** it, I just want to get this done with. And that attitude is what leads to people dying and me having to restart.

gfHRhdd.pngTkcyWAN.png
Marth and Cain finish off the hand axe fighter and the archer, though. So I didn't need to worry, after all.

MakeOGb.png
Time to regroup on the other side of the bridge! We're just out of range of the mages that Marth talked about, now.

pCsxXAt.png
Here is me trying to test something. See, if I used Abel to bait the mage, he'd die. Because the mage would attack first and that would take all of his HP.

XIOYHdN.png
So I decide to use Jagen instead. If the mage has any brains he'll attack from a distance, thus staying alive. But then my units will be able to gang up on him. So a lose-lose situation for poor Mr. Mage.

gjRyZnc.png
Look how much damage that fireball did to Jagen. Like, zippo. As in, it did as much damage as a Zippo lighter.

cE5waOy.pngsxoGlHO.png271qXR0.png
I send Marth over to attack the next one. While mages deal high damage, they fall to Marth's sword fairly easily.

3PJKFxv.png
They also fall to lances pretty easily.

vecLVvI.pngxYkYwWa.png
And that's it! Woot woot!

BGM
kOty6oK.pnguqwgTBx.png
Oh, there's a familiar...err...sprite...portrait...thing.

GjkBaHU.png5y1gw8l.png
Welp.

SjUNDza.png
It's hard to tell, but Marth starts to run, but Malledus blocks him. Also I forgot to screenshot his text.
Malledus: "Hold, sire! Where are you going?"

fC50b92.pngvKRZCTF.pngJWclucw.png
For a guy who tried to convince the princess to leave, you sure are good at being her mouthpiece.

gaW94tg.png1dkQSjC.pngZauczWy.png
Yes, future, Chosen one, blahdeblahblah.

JgXQUHg.png6gmvXVh.pngcgIG3xu.png
"You are the Chosen one, after all."

xPunmwX.png
I feel like he accepted that too easily. Then again, I guess he was raised believing that--that his body belongs to the people.

6cmHaLn.pngju1tzzJ.png
"Help me, Marth Archanea. You're my only hope."

UAx0eFO.pngWStiEEg.png
...This is kind of depressing. ._.

...Oh yeah. Don't expect this let's play to be all sunshine and rainbows. Cuz it won't be. Because Fire Emblem? That's a pretty grim series. I'll try to lighten it up when I can but there are some things you really can't make light of. Like the fate of the world being on your shoulders. I'd say that's a pretty heavy burden. Too bad Marth isn't a mule. He has some pretty thin princess-y shoulders, too, so this might be a rough ride. Another reason not to do H5.

[spoiler=Characters]

1XK9jNK.png
Cain - Cavalier
HP - 75
Str - 35
Mag - 0
Skl - 50
Spd - 50
Lck - 40
Def - 20
Res - 0
Cain is another member of the Altean Knights, along with Frey and Abel. He's also known as the Bull, and part of a pair with Abel no, not that way. He's a bit more emotional than the other cavaliers, as shown by his outburst earlier. He also has red hair, which makes him cool in my book.

LlaMXmf.png
Jagen - Paladin
HP - 40
Str - 20
Mag - 0
Skl - 35
Spd - 15
Lck - 30
Def - 20
Res - 0
Jagen is the gruff paladin commander of the Altean Knights. As the founder of the Jagen archetype, it's not recommended to use him unless you absolutely have to. Also, he has a big nose. And these really weird spikes on his armor. Not sure what those are about, unless it's to prevent an enemy from getting close to him. But it looks equally dangerous for allies. I guess just stay away from him period, whether you're friend or foe.

Nai Note: He also makes for an amazing lure.

Prologue Part 4
And right on the heels of the previous update. Let's begin!

[spoiler=Prologue Part 4]

BGM
j7AxDfs.png
Still in Altea, we are outside of what looks to be a fort now.

NAAUkXz.pngteT6rE6.pngxTDLVHs.pngA3HSPKk.png
Another grim beginning.

tV2TLbm.pngTuyqe5O.png
Grouped outside of a fort, hopefully we can sneak on through.

ZAwqVIA.pngqZw8SU6.pngMcW6qBw.png
You can't help but feel bad for Marth sometimes. Losing his mother, father, sister, and homeland, all in one fell blow. But it's true that he has to get over this if he wants to survive, which everybody, including me, wants to happen. After all, if he doesn't survive, there won't be a game. Though, I wonder how much of this is Malledus feeling guilty for not being able to protect Elice. I suppose he feels that if he can't protect one sibling, he might as well do his darndest to protect the other one.

tyInnmu.png
Ugh. :(

BGM
yt6r43n.pngR0JtRif.pngEuYRsuA.png
Well, that's the first good news we've heard in a while now.

LbbGjMk.pngZWmWJAG.png
Aaand back to doom and gloom.

3ilDXtT.pngd8QlrJv.png
Oh okay, so it's not a fort, but a prison. Regardless, if it's a prison, that means that...there might be people willing to join us there! The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right?

vODJ3YG.pngMYhIZJB.png
Here Malledus gives us a key. With this key, we can now open a single door. So choose wisely! Door number one, door number two, or door number three!

Ddxp3y8.pngt30J1dL.png
Malledus seems to agree with what I said earlier. Get as many allies as possible! So you can kill them all off for the sake of Gaiden chapters!

BGM
xht3RoT.pngqnqwFEw.pngPRnHYsj.png
More useful information. Keep in mind that thieves don't need keys to open doors. Also a map. Less enemies to deal with this time, thankfully.

CAfpwNm.pngjBmuSci.png
Or, uh...maybe not. Also, what about you? Hopefully they don't do anything to you, since they're evil Gra soldiers and all.

rOjtxg8.png
Frey decides to give his last weapon, the iron sword, to Marth. He needs it more than the other cavaliers, anyway. Also this shows that Marth does indeed have the door key.

BGM
CPNaiA9.png
Up north, past the prison, we catch a glimpse of the enemy.

Swr7DG0.pngE5Gnhxj.pngTTUmAPG.png
Uh-oh...this won't be good.

jRRwBTL.pngNWg0jg0.pngYWuw5PL.png
Yeah, what kind of trap?

m9uy4wy.pngiKDDze7.png
What an odd metaphor.

GbM5qfA.pngZWvW7sf.png
We interrupt this scheduled program with Abel fighting a Gra fighter. Tried to lure, and forgot Abel was in range, but at least he's equipped with a weapon that can attack back.

HZoImeU.pngHBpKSyl.pngJ7T39Gq.png
Uh-oh... Looks like a prisoner. Though I'm surprised there's only one.

Me6pAG1.pngu0YtO4Q.pngNaBMBEp.png
Mmpph! Bllrmmmph! Grrmphh! See, I can speak gaggle language too.

p2RlHVG.png
Wow, that's a...really lame joke. Like, lamer than Cow's jokes, lame.

LNzCzIa.pnghEPtBhS.png6RlEznj.png
Uhhh, looks to me like he's wearing white armor, and Gra wears red... I guess this is where you have to use your imagination.

zbpozf6.png
I feel like this conversation is very one-sided.

pmcoO7B.pngb4L2YTg.pngav5roCT.png
I, uhh...don't really see what this has to do with capturing Marth before backup gets here, because that would take a bit for rumors to spread and stuff. So I guess this is just here for the sake of meeting another character.

WydAdYa.png
Speaking of, what do they worship here? Naga?

e6IzfvW.png
So the enemies are clustered around us, in the woods.

BGM
xOXU9e0.pngRSUC7Fl.png
But Marth is also in the woods, and he can do bushfighting better than all y'all.

6fOxVZ8.png4LkfpwR.png
Cain and Abel tagteam on the other fighter.

II9cNum.png
And the archer decides to attack Abel. Seems everybody wants to attack Abel. I used to think they were being stingy with experience points and suiciding on the highest-leveled dude, but that isn't the case anymore.

ksacMH3.pngI2tS4oF.png
Anyway, Marth and Abel finish the guy off. I meant to sent Cain over instead of Abel, but they both look the same on the overworld, so it's easy to grab the wrong dude.

XfowO8r.png
Speaking of grabs...some enemies, such as this archer, drop items that you can grab, which are identified by green text. They go to the person who killed them, like in MMOs.

Also, I send Frey over to one of the houses.
82zERrs.pngkU6rxel.pngX9UUCdo.png
Well...this is ominous. Hopefully I won't have to do that here.

arMVxHt.png
We have Marth approach the door. As it is, he is the only one who can unlock it, so it works out this way.

SkZ1Jmv.png
I consider attacking this totally suspicious enemy archer...

ODdMcVI.png
But decide to surround him instead. Shows him to wear red! Now he'll be super intimidated.

PtY6QCH.png
Marth decides he wants to talk to this guy first though.

W6Euqr9.pngkfSi1Z2.png
Wow. Word for word.

ymW6paH.pngINvFziQ.png
Oh, so the green guy is actually from the Altean army, huh? I thought he was just a hapless civilian, what with the way he got captured and all.

BGM
jjREZn7.pngWbTa2Wh.pngHVrA8ay.png
Well, actually...

BE71HGb.png
Abel does have an extra bow on hand...

Hm6HcBy.png
Anyway, we're all grouped together in this prison. Except for Frey, whom I left to stand guard outside.

upiuGf1.png
Let's take a look at Gordin. For an archer, he has surprisingly low skill and surprisingly high defense. Decent strength though. I think we can find a use for him somewhere.

lPgyM5M.pngPn6tRXN.png
Uh-oh...this looks bad. Enemy reinforcements from the rear. A bunch of armored knights, too. Knights have very high defense, but low magic resistance. However, we don't have any mages in our party, so this is pretty much an impossible battle.

BGM
IW5N5iW.png1r6f483.png
I'm looking. And it doesn't look good.

2Z55bQ6.pngVogri0E.png
I take it the Sable Order wears black, then?

pE0VYHm.png9TkbgJJ.pngsyibMqI.png
"Send one of your units over there to do the luau. That will distract them sufficiently so the rest of us can slip away."

cNuxqZ4.png
Or that.

2ArNff3.png
Yes, a decoy.

EO0nbyi.pngWKiGO47.pngCvyDnVu.png
Yeeeah, let's proceed to make Marth feel as shitty as possible. This is really horrible, but totally necessary. Was a really unpleasant shock for me the first time I played through (I only got about as far as chapter 3, though, so this is still mostly blind).

sZJJg79.pngkpubOeA.pngN34UKs8.png
So, we're really going through with this, then?

lgUHrT6.pngGDuOV0K.png1HeAsNg.png
Ugh...

u7N7XG8.pngYvnXy6u.png
Yeah, that's a pretty tall order.

Hhj2ChX.pnglFBfzt7.png
Man, this really sucks. Good thing I planned ahead.

D3xgL81.png
Marth has other plans, though. He's not letting somebody else die on his watch. If anybody goes, it will be him.

k4yc45m.png2E6I70f.png
However, he heeds to common sense, and retreats. Frey, standing off to the side, can't watch this anymore.

oTjq9vf.pngrBVaTrf.png
He disguises himself as Marth, and approaches the knights.

j7f2BUV.png3YcHrDR.png
Good point.

EHhXEdo.png
Frey, overhearing this, and in a remarkable display of forethought and keeping cool under pressure, slips away.

7sy25X6.png1LIL9Vg.pngw6IFBbg.png
That would make more sense if this weren't Fire Emblem, where the more units you have, the better. So better to keep Marth with his allies.

IyIWAY6.pngE2mSBm4.png
Ouch. Let's hope that Frey survives this.

eGVID5n.pngxUKW13D.png
Marth still holds hope that he won't have to leave anybody behind. This shows how naive he really is.

AfFYN42.pngaFRaOtR.pngsuWNfin.png
I wonder how Malledus must feel, having to play the "bad guy" in this. Having to be the one to tell Marth to make the decisions that must be made.

q4xrG3P.pngTAiOldy.png
:(

UKcPEZq.png2fTtDBJ.png
I like the timing of the screenshot. Shows that Malledus, even though he ordered for this to happen, doesn't like this either. He must have known Frey too, though he probably wasn't as close to him as Marth was. Had talked with him about facial hair and how it makes you look more distinguished. Maybe he even talked with him about this very subject--about the necessity of sacrifice. What must he feel now, sending that very man to his death?

UVRVOpw.pngsBwEA8j.pngKcf3mQ4.png
Meanwhile, the bad guys continue to do things that inadvertently help us. First they give us another unit, and now this. I thought Christmas had already passed, guys. What's going on, here?

BWW9oyO.pngcBCy2zA.pngXMbGZEe.png
If you visit the village down south, they tell you a hard truth about victory, and how to achieve it. I wonder if this person knows Malledus.

P1DW28J.png
Well. It's time to move on. Let's gather near the exit now. I send Gordin up top. He's just within range of an archer. Hopefully they can do archer stuff to each other.

DYxQ9SP.pngJNiS0aN.png
Like this.

9ffnvHF.png
More backup! This makes things a bit complicated. I'll tell you, my worst favorite units to fight are flying ones, because they aren't limited by terrain and they have a huge movement range, as you can see.

zFIjInD.png6fF3Wai.png
But let's not worry about them for now. For now, let's worry about the enemies in front of us. The combined effort of Marth and Gordin take down the archer.

ypUyIBs.pngCcYmfrN.png
Cain takes down a soldier behind the archer, and goes up a level. It's really too bad I won't be keeping these stats, but oh well.

pvtQgFc.png7WP37YA.png
Abel decides he won't be left in the dust either. I can already see a competition forming between these two.

vXwK4cB.pngbSk874W.pngnORFRS9.png
Unlike houses, Marth is the only one who can visit villages. I'm not really sure why, but that's how it is, I guess.

1tQZ5r4.png
The pegasus knights are getting closer. Nervous, I group everybody together near the forts.

BGM
bduc0Sa.png
And, focused on them, I forgot about the soldier up north. He targets Abel, but dies on his spear. Though now I'm a bit worried that Abel won't survive the oncoming feathered assault.

DGT6sJY.pngR3yW5a1.png
Aaand I shouldn't have worried. Because neither of them target him. I should've known that an archer and a lower-leveled cavalier would prove too tempting to pass up.

p6tQfIv.png
The mage moves closer, but Abel regains some HP from sitting on a fort, so I feel a lot better about his chances now.

0u2OfUg.pngmOrzE9Z.png
Gordin one-shots a pegasus knight at full health, and Cain finishes off his opponent. One reason the pegasus knight probably wanted to get rid of Gordin is because bows are super effective against flying units. Not just weapon triangle effective, but super effective.

6BGAlz8.png
Meanwhile, Marth goes after the mage. And two-shots it.

GnZsAGs.png
The next turn I basically just have everybody who is injured in some form stand on top of a fort, where they'll heal up. I figure it's cuz forts probably have beds and first-aid kits. Well, maybe not first-aid kits, but vulneraries at least. Marth approaches the village while his units rest up.

ePu48rG.pngUJWWMUw.pngC716j1F.png
Used. Past tense. So her granddaughter is dead, then? This is...really dark. Also, she gives us a steel bow, which will be pretty useful.

YOo6Fbx.png
In fact, we'll give it to Gordin right now.

2Buv0XR.pngswHKwJ0.png
One last enemy. I cluster everybody around him. Four against one should do it. He's stronger than your average soldier, which is why he's a captain, I guess. Unless that's his name. What an odd name to give somebody. He also uses a javelin, so we can't spam Gordin against him. Not to mention that he drops a vulnerary, which is the Fire Emblem version of a healing potion, and is always good to have.

BGM
fDMo326.pngoN41dNQ.pngU3G9XxE.pngaa9u88Y.png
I always find it funny how Fire Emblem is all about honor, but you usually end up doing some pretty dishonorable things to win. Like baiting a person so that they're by themselves, or ganging up on a boss. Anyway, through the power of dirty fighting, we have won!

PqkjWvE.png
And we got that vulnerary I was talking about earlier, too.

sb4pcF0.png
More backup appears, and while I could fight them to gain some extra experience, there's really no point to, as I'll be restarting after this, anyway. So it'd just be a waste of time.

PeA7u2X.png
So let's just get on with it, then!

BGM
I really do like this soundtrack.
Y6tbXnw.png9N44efj.pngnaheCZ1.png
And now we have a new face! Who also has green hair. Seems this game really digs green hair, for some reason.

EWBtSim.pngoonOUHi.png
Guess we have to go then. So long, Altea. We might see you again. Maybe. Probably.

Meanwhile...to the south. With no hope of escape.
a4AJxGO.pngTFAwnNw.png
Ugh. Also I just now realized why this guy looks so familiar. He looks like Count Dooku. I'd think they did that on purpose, but the original Fire Emblem game, and his design, came twelve years before Episode II - Attack of the Clones.

lgB3SXP.pngVEf3tZY.png
QQ

rpjIEhy.png

BGM
pNm4WsA.pngrZ4DXm7.png
How can you see with your eyes closed, Jagen?

QLxl68I.pngV3QLftM.png
Yeah, what was that?

AMfbgVW.pngz9KrqVC.png
Ah... Yeah, Marth isn't very happy right now, and I can't say I blame him, either. His parents dead, kingdom lost, and two people, one his sister and another a knight whom he probably called friend, have died so that he can escape. Well, I still think Elice could have escaped, but she decided to pull an Emmeryn. Or an Elice, since she came first.

NnB4QbJ.pngnEzTtg8.pngMIzGJHo.png
I'm getting flashbacks to Attack on Titan, where Eren Jaeger is saying he's going to kill all the titans.

YdTfPzN.png
This game does many things wrong, but this is one of the few things it does right, in my opinion. Marth is undergoing a huge development in character right now. From naive, sheltered prince who just wants to be able to do the right thing, to this.

QrKl5Xh.png
Even Jagen can see it.

BjgYzBB.png
And somehow, I believe it. We will go back to Altea. Maybe not right away, but I can see that Marth is determined. Maybe when you're a little older, Marthy-boy. And less of a pretty princess. Or more of one.

And that's where we'll leave off.

[spoiler=Gaiden]

Originally wasn't going to do it, but after thinking about it, decided why not? Good thing I always copy my save files.

So basically, if you don't have enough people in your party, the game will go out of its way to add them. Sooo...let's show that off.

INGwHiL.png

I send Jagen out on a suicide mission against the Sable Knights. You can see how that ends.

And then, at the very end of the chapter...

c27sfcb.png

A new person!

kqrhjeJ.pngeBgBUJg.png

Who is this?

NT8H9Qt.pngIbDoGuh.pngDy8Mwjz.png

She doesn't get much of an intro, but then again, not many of the characters do. That's about all I have to say. I'll be doing a separate runthrough with Gaiden characters, so a Gaiden runthrough I guess, and showing it here.

[spoiler=Characters]

lj2Gjfd.png
Gordin - Archer
HP - 60
Str - 20
Mag - 0
Skl - 40
Spd - 35
Lck - 40
Def - 30
Res - 0
Gordin is our newest recruit, and the first unit besides Marth that's not a cavalier or cavalier promotion. He seems to be a bit unlucky, going by his getting captured and all. His stat growths are a bit meh, but I think, with a bit of time and effort, that he can be a good unit. Also his hair looks like a salad.

VS092PZ.png
Captain
Another man who wants the fame and glory you get from capturing a prince. Too bad he's dead now.

bJ7lN1W.png
Ruffian
Exists purely to make bad jokes and pick on people. Also, he disappeared in the battle. Wonder where he went. Maybe we'll see him again, just to suffer under more of his bad puns.

XpaKYQz.png
Jiol
A guy who looks like Count Dooku. He's probably important, but really, I just can't get over his resemblance to Count Dooku. He's probably secretly a Jedi Sith.

Thanks! And hmm, curious which part that is, as there are a few good parts here.

"Yow! It's an enemy ambush!"

I half expected you to poke fun of speaking about himself (Yow!) in the third person.

Then again, I'd only gotten to level 7 in this game, I believe, so I dunno if there was any other amusing tropes that stuck out to me.

Something you kinda forgot to show off:

If you killed off just one more unit by the end of Prologue 4, you get another Shadow Dragon exclusive character, like Frey was. She's actually implied to be the original owner of the Steel Bow you got from the village. In case you're interested, this is that character.

Oooh, I didn't even know about that. I knew there were gaiden chapters, but I don't know which ones are which. Nor did I know that this was one of them. Hmmm, I might have to showcase that then.

You don't even get her in a gaiden chapter, you just get her at the end of Prologue 4 if you did the normal "lok at me im princ math" decoy stuff and killed one more duder off as well. She's a pretty solid archer too. Not that it really matters at this point, but oh well.

Archived