Creative Writing Section Rules and Updates

Aix

These new rules are subject to change and reformatting. Just use your common sense and you'll be able to survive in this transitional regime.

Forum Changelog

• [21/01/2017] Due to low activity, the Creative Writing and Story Planning sections have been merged. Instead, we will be using a tagging system similar to Reddit.
  • [21/01/2017] Existing threads have been updated with tags.
  • [21/01/2017] Old threads have been moved to the Archive forum.
  • [21/01/2017] New forum rules are being implemented. 

FORUM TAGS

The Creative Writing Forum is for all matters and discussions related to writing. All topics must be categorised and include one of the following tags at the start of the thread title.

• [Fanfiction] - for works based on an existing franchise.
  • [Original Work] - for works not based on any existing franchise.
  • [Discussion] - for discussion topics related to writing or storytelling.
  • [Request] - for request help in story planning and writing.
  • [Planning] - for threads used to plan stories and other creative works.
  • [Guide] - for guides on writing related topics.
  • [Contest] - for writing contests.

If you have a writing related thread that does not fit in one of the above categories, make your own tag that you believe most accurately and concisely describes your topic.

STANDARDS FOR WRITTEN WORKS

You may only post your own work. Plagiarism of any form, including posting other people’s work sans permission; claiming someone else’s work as your own; or posting blatant derivatives is forbidden. Beyond that, any work you post must also uphold the following rules and standards.

1. Work must be spellchecked and proofread before being posted. If there’s only one or two typos, it's forgivable; but if there are enough spelling/grammar errors to the point where it's unreadable, the thread will be locked.
  2. This is an English language forum, so all writing should be English. If you have a foreign language fic that you would like to post, please translate it first to the best of your ability and we will help you as you go.
  3. Any work that would warrant a PG-13 or higher rating (through swearing, drug or sexual references, violence, etc) must put a warning of some sort in the thread title. You also cannot portray any graphically sexual or violent content, or anything else that would require an M rating.

If there is anything not covered in this thread, use your own discretion. If you have any questions or suggestions for changes to the rules or the forum, please post below.

Not a fan of the Archive forum idea, particularly if an older fic is to be updated again. Besides, the whole "your thread gets moved after X days" can put an awful lot of pressure on an otherwise-slow writer, particularly since activity in the forum in terms of responses is quite low.

I don't think that 'thread gets moved to archive after some amount of time' part is actually said in the OP, just that old threads before the day this particular update happened have been archived. If by some chance a writer of an old fic wants to update it he should be able to contact a mod to move it back and it wouldn't be going back to the archives after a certain number of days again.

I don't think that 'thread gets moved to archive after some amount of time' part is actually said in the OP, just that old threads before the day this particular update happened have been archived. If by some chance a writer of an old fic wants to update it he should be able to contact a mod to move it back and it wouldn't be going back to the archives after a certain number of days again.

Misinterpreted that bit then, in that case. However, still don't think there was a need to move old threads. No other subforum does that, and it just puts an extra step in the way for someone trying to update their old fic.

Misinterpreted that bit then, in that case. However, still don't think there was a need to move old threads. No other subforum does that, and it just puts an extra step in the way for someone trying to update their old fic.

Personally I like that there's less clutter, especially when old threads have not been updated with the new tag system.

If old fics get updated so often that this becomes a hindrance to a significant number of people then it may be fair to change it but as is, I don't think there'd be more than a handful who'd ever need to go through that extra step. Previously before the archive subforum existed people were already barely updating their stories, an additional step would not likely squander motivation for someone who may have bothered to update if they didn't have to go through a mod.

• 2 weeks later...

A few questions:

1. Should chapters of a story be posted as replies, or as separate threads. I assume the former, but I thought asking would be better.

2. Could a mod set up a thread for people who wish to volunteer to "beta read" chapters and stories before they are posted? Perhaps with a point incentive if the review is well done? By "Beta read", I mean anything from discussing plot and general scene ideas up through reading a draft before its posted publicly. The main reason why I request this is that I don't want to post a story and find out that one of my characters did something that made no sense for the situation at hand. l and I'm the only one who didn't see it. Also I'm sure I'm not the only author who benefits from second opinions.

edit:

3. I recall a minimum word count rule from the old system, is that still in effect, and if so, does it apply to prologs?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I want to ask people for help with creating a few supporting characters, and one main character.The basic gist being: I need characters I can use, and with their permission, I would have their submitted characters used in the story, with their creators credited. Should I make a whole new thread for that, or can I add that to my Planning thread?

Sooo I checked and saw no response then remembered Aix is gone so let me see if I can give some help.

A few questions:

1. Should chapters of a story be posted as replies, or as separate threads. I assume the former, but I thought asking would be better.

2. Could a mod set up a thread for people who wish to volunteer to "beta read" chapters and stories before they are posted? Perhaps with a point incentive if the review is well done? By "Beta read", I mean anything from discussing plot and general scene ideas up through reading a draft before its posted publicly. The main reason why I request this is that I don't want to post a story and find out that one of my characters did something that made no sense for the situation at hand. l and I'm the only one who didn't see it. Also I'm sure I'm not the only author who benefits from second opinions.

edit:

3. I recall a minimum word count rule from the old system, is that still in effect, and if so, does it apply to prologs?

1. Separate chapters should be posted as replies. Usually links to each chapter are put in the opening post of the thread, though

2. If you haven't already try asking in Comments and Suggestions. Though it might be easier to ask people individually.

3. As of now there is no such rule. imo it's good to have at least like 500-1000 words but for now seems there's no rule for that.

OK, so I want to ask people for help with creating a few supporting characters, and one main character.The basic gist being: I need characters I can use, and with their permission, I would have their submitted characters used in the story, with their creators credited. Should I make a whole new thread for that, or can I add that to my Planning thread?

I think that it'd be fine to make that a post in your planning thread. Might be good to advertise it in the Status Updates as well to get some interest. Though I will say that many people don't like others using their characters so it might be rough.

I think that it'd be fine to make that a post in your planning thread. Might be good to advertise it in the Status Updates as well to get some interest. Though I will say that many people don't like others using their characters so it might be rough.

Ehh. We'll see what happens then I guess. Thanks, CowCow!

• 3 months later...

Could we place Creative Cards pictures in a fiction ? (To illustrate cards use during a Duel for exemple) 

I have a suggestion for you about that.

With using...

[url=Insert image link here

]Insert Words here

[/url

]

(obviously you put them together but YCM won't let me without putting an image in)

You get something like this.

"He turned around and saw a mechanical dog"

Though it's often good to describe the thing a bit even with the image.

I have a suggestion for you about that.

With using...

[url=Insert image link here

]Insert Words here

[/url

]

(obviously you put them together but YCM won't let me without putting an image in)

You get something like this.

"He turned around and saw a mechanical dog"

Though it's often good to describe the thing a bit even with the image.

I was trying to guess what card that would be lol. I agree with this method though.

Archived