Creative Writing Section Census

Aix

If you ever intend to participate and post in this forum, please answer the following questions to the best of your ability. This is an official government census by the new Trump administration.

• How often do you write?
  • What do you enjoy writing?
  • Do you ever read works others post on this forum?
  • What do you enjoy reading?
  • What sort of writer do you see yourself as?
  • How competent of a writer do you believe yourself to be?

If you ever intend to participate and post in this forum, please answer the following questions to the best of your ability. This is an official government census by the new Trump administration.

Answer to Question 1: Every now and then, but mainly when I am motivated.

Answer to Question 2: Action and/or adventure stories  (EDIT: also fanatsy)

Answer to Question 3: Yes, I do

Answer to Question 4: (copy, paste) Action and/or adventure stories 

Answer to Question 5: A non-famous one

Answer to Question 6: No comment

Also, I claim the title of 'First to post here'

Because I might eventually post something here....

• How often do you write? I try and write every day but usually only can a couple times a week. Including RP posts this number bumps up to about 4 times a week. Generally I write 2-3 hours each of these days.
  • What do you enjoy writing? Yes...oh wait. Usually Fantasy of some form. Adventure often. I also like, but am inexperienced at, writing shorter either romance-y things or sort of Slice of Life oneshots.
  • Do you ever read works others post on this forum? Besides RP not often. Probably should. I just suck at putting time for it.
  • What do you enjoy reading? So many things. If I were to include fanfiction and stories it'd be...Romance, action, fantasy, sci-fi, modern, thriller, mystery, horror...everything more/less
  • What sort of writer do you see yourself as? Unsure as to meaning but I see myself as a Fantasy writer with a focus on action and character interaction.
  • How competent of a writer do you believe yourself to be? 7/10

How often do you write?

Every once in a blue moon. I'm a terrible procrastinator even at the best of times, and I'm probably lowkey a bit of an attention whore and I give up on writing something if I don't see anyone's enjoying my work or if like one or two people are enjoying it.

What do you enjoy writing?

If it ain't fanfiction, I mostly just like to write stuff I probably shouldn't post here unless I want to get banned later down the line. Also the occasional fantasy story. Whatever tickles my fancy honestly. Expect all-female casts whatever I write though, or at least casts where all the major characters are girls. It's just what I do.

Do you ever read works others post on this forum?

If I'm being honest, no. I probably should tbh.

What do you enjoy reading?

Anything with a good plot and potential for yuri ships.

What sort of writer do you see yourself as?

One whose biggest strengths are characters and humor. So I guess your typical comedy writer, with the added bonus of being probably YCM's number-one yuri fanatic.

How competent of a writer do you believe yourself to be?

If I stick to my strengths, pretty good. Otherwise, not very competent writer here imo.

How often do you write?

Quite often, actually. I love to write, but most of what I write never actually sees the light of day. Generally I write something at least once a week, a small story, a journal of ideas. Right now I'm helping a friend plan out a big story he wants to write.

Character driven stories more than anything. While the overall plot is important, I value the growth of characters and their journey more than the destination. That might be a reason my stuff gets changed so much, I often go back and look at what I've written, changing steps and events drastically to better suit character growth.

Of course! I just don't enjoy Yugioh fics much, so I generally avoid those. Other works I generally check out and see what the subject matter is. Leaving comments is another thing entirely that I need to look into doing more often.

A little bit of everything really. I'm not so into sci-fi, but I read it from time to time. I absolutely lean more towards the typical fantasy stuff though.

Eh? I don't quite get the question on this one. If you mean what I would be writing, fantasy most likely. Highly character driving slice of life as well, potentially...

Not very competent. Mostly because of my inconsistency lately. I think my actual writing skills are alright. It's one of the few skills I feel like I could actually do something with.

What about people that have posted a lot in the past but don't really do it anymore if at all.

How often do you write?

Occasionally. Never for here anymore

Longer stories, usually. I write more video game and anime articles/reviews/criticisms these days.

Not anymore.

I'm an English major. I don't read.

A good, but inconsistent writer lacking motivation and struggling with depression.

I think that I'm really good at the flow of words into sentences and into paragraphs, as well as dialogue. I consider brevity really important, but don't think I'm as good as I should be (tend to ramble more than I should) so I'm working on that. I have proficient and complicated syntax, but don't think that much of the intricacies of the words I choose. I'm not exactly F. Scott Fitzgerald over here.

1. Couple times a week on average for RPs, maybe once a month for other writing.

2. ...whatever tends to be my flavor of the month. Problem is, it leaves me with a butt ton of unfinished projects lol.

3. Sometimes on my own, but if I'm asked, I always do.

4. Anything that catches my interest, regardless of genre. However, when seeking genres, I like sci-fi. Spice and Wolf also opens me up to romance.

5. Uh... competent at best, I guess. I'm not good at judging myself.

6. C+?

• How often do you write? Daily, with occasional lapses due to outside interference.

What do you enjoy about writing? Mostly just getting my ideas out there. I'm a creative and expressive person  y nature, and I like to get my thoughts out where they can be enjoyed by other people. I want to make awesome things that will inspire others to make their own awesome stuff.

Do you ever read works others post on this forum? If the title catches my eye, I sometimes check 'em out. I don't go too far out of my way for it though...

What do you enjoy reading? Fiction and fanfiction, because it provides an escape from reality for a while. I read like the flippin' Doctor though, so they don't last long...

What sort of writer do you see yourself as? I just want to write stories that are a mix between epic and hilarious, like Rick Riordan, or J.K. Rowling. Something people will enjoy for a number of reasons.

How competent of a writer do you believe yourself to be? I can write. That's uh... about all I can say for sure. People tell me I'm great, but I try not to accept any sort of praise, so as not to get full of myself.

• How often do you write? Barely.

What do you enjoy writing? Shitposts.

Do you ever read works others post on this forum? Not really because they're mostly yugioh fanfiction and no thanks m8.

What do you enjoy reading? Quality content. Menus. Dishwasher manufacturer guideline handbooks.

What sort of writer do you see yourself as? Unsuccessful.

How competent of a writer do you believe yourself to be? In.

• How often do you write? Barely.
  • What do you enjoy writing? Shitposts.
  • Do you ever read works others post on this forum? Not really because they're mostly yugioh fanfiction and no thanks m8.
  • What do you enjoy reading? Quality content. Menus. Dishwasher manufacturer guideline handbooks.
  • What sort of writer do you see yourself as? Unsuccessful.
  • How competent of a writer do you believe yourself to be? In.

this is me 100%

• How often do you write? It's my job

What do you enjoy writing? Smut..well, anything, really.

Do you ever read works others post on this forum? Not that often.

What do you enjoy reading? Smut...well, character-based pieces are pretty fun.

What sort of writer do you see yourself as? A normal writer

How competent of a writer do you believe yourself to be? iunno

In an act of political protest, I'm gonna do the exact opposite and do this because I want to.

• How often do you write? Not as much as I used to, or wish to now.
  • What do you enjoy writing? Fantasy or sci-fi, but I like character exploration as the primary objective of that.
  • Do you ever read works others post on this forum? Occasionally? Not interested in the standard fare (YGO fanfic), though.
  • What do you enjoy reading? See #2.
  • What sort of writer do you see yourself as? A lazy one, sadly. Or one without much motivation.
  • How competent of a writer do you believe yourself to be? Okay with the actual writing bit, but the planning aspect could use some work. :/

Answer to Question 1: Every now and then, but mainly when I am motivated.

What motivates you?

How often do you write?

Quite often, actually. I love to write, but most of what I write never actually sees the light of day. Generally I write something at least once a week, a small story, a journal of ideas. Right now I'm helping a friend plan out a big story he wants to write.

So what would get you to show us what you write?

So what would get you to show us what you write?

The feeling that it wasn't mostly pointless to share things. That isn't even an issue solely with YCM, it's all over the internet. The fic I posted elsewhere didn't get much traffic, the one I posted here was getting almost nothing aside from one or two people, so I was losing motivation to keep it going, even though I had a vision for the characters. As much as I write for myself, when I write something to actually post, it's not just me I'm writing for anymore.

And it just kinda keeps me from keeping myself going when it feels like it's for nothing, so I just go back into my private projects.

I write short bits whenever I have ideas. I write longer stuff usually only for RPs or if I feel like I have a really fun idea.

I enjoy writing just about anything, but mostly fantasy and smut.

I don't really read anything other than RP posts for RPs I'm in.

I enjoy reading any fictional type of work, as well as some well-written non-fiction works. Fantasy and smut are is my favorite genres.

A dreamer and fun-seeker.

Obviously the best writer ever since the start of time. A decent writer who's good at visual imagery and descriptions and characters, but needs to pay attention to falling victim to purple prose and making characters who end up being that sort of 'too innocent for this world' type.

1. Somewhat often, as I have to write mathematical proofs and some small essays for a couple of courses this semester. On my free time, it depends on schedule and motivation. I'm currently writing a 5Ds hybrid fic offline, but it's been really slow lately due to time constraints and motivation. 

(I did write a flash fic for an English course in fall 2015, but it has overtones from Naruto in there despite trying to keep them minimal. If you guys want to see, I can post it at a later time but it's relatively long for two chapters.)

2. Right now, fanfics and maybe other fictional pieces. I've been considering doing playthrough ones from video games, but like the above, I just don't have time or motivation. I haven't written too much though.

3. Outside of maybe Thar's crack fics in the past, not too much. Probably due to the fact that I rarely come in here anyway. 

4. Probably Asian literature, with consideration I spent two semesters in Japanese literature courses (for filler reasons). No offense to western books, but I've been drifting away from them lately due to lack of interest. That, and language books. 

5. I would say fictional realism (if that's even a term); basically, theme my stuff in a fictional setting but they correlate to the real world with some exceptions (some people/places exist, events happen differently, etc). It probably depends on my mood and whatever happened recently. There are some happy / carefree scenes, but then more serious themes. (I don't know, probably based on the type of story I end up writing)

Going back to that offline fanfic, I'm supposed to be going into an arc that's a combination of 5Ds Season 3 (Synchro hate) and wars from pre-modern Japanese wars (least from the 12th to 16th centuries) with some correlation to things down here (well, in an exaggerated sense), which is going to be dark in terms of writing. I don't know if I've said anything about this in the past. 

6. I can write pretty well, but a lot of my work tends to be long (as in chapters reaching 4000+ words), hence why I don't finish chapters often. There are other things that need addressing (i.e. type speech without using the quotes, describe scenery/appearance better, character development).

7. (Not on here, but I'll answer the motivation one)

Basically events that occur and how people react to it. In some cases, I might just throw a person I don't really care for into the story as an antagonist to be taken down, or those I care about as support characters. To be fair, some of the characters in my fic have their origins in these groups. 

I really do need to motivate myself to finish that offline fanfic (least before I graduate); been working on it since early/mid 2010 and it'd be a waste to say "screw it". 

====

I have a couple of ideas for potential stories in my mind, but I just don't put them on paper (or write them out). Heck, I have a lot of potential themes for later chapters, but haven't done the lead-up to those actions yet. 

====

• 2 weeks later...

How often do you write?

My schedule fluctuates quite often, but I do what I can from week to week.

I used to be in a job where I was the only one in on Sundays. That job gave me a lot of downtime on Sundays, and not a lot to do. It was an office job with computers, but I didn't wanna download steam or visit reddit. Instead, I just stuck my fanfic on a USB and wrote it there.

This year my schedule changed to a more standard M-F 9-5 so, while it's the same amount of free time I'm a bit more distracted at home.

I still do intend to push out about a chapter's worth of work (2k-4k words) every week, just like last year, starting some time around March. Some weeks I'll probably actually do about 1.5-2 chapters and stockpile them. Other weeks I'll probably not work at all, but have a spare chapter in reserve.

I'm also active on a Yugioh RP site that I won't name. If you want details, feel free to PM me.

Realistic Fantasy? Not sure what the genre would be. But basically something like "Our real world except [blank]". Typically the "blank" is something ridiculous involving magic, the supernatural, or gods.

I find myself having less time to read as I grow older, and unfortunately since there are so few "completed" fanfics it's hard to really get into them. If it's a good story, I'm annoyed it never finished. If it's a bad story... it's a bad story. Why did I waste my time reading it?

If anyone has a collection of "good" or at least "finished" stories, feel free to PM me.

I find myself quite liking Children's books, similar to the style I like writing. "Real world, but [blank]". I quite enjoyed the Percy Jackson series as well as a Series of Unfortunate Events.

Not too sure about this question? It's not asking about what I like to write, since I answered that before. It's not asking about my competency as a writer, since I answered that later. I'd say... consistent and plans a lot?

When I start a story I do usually try my best to see it through to completion. At the very least, I have almost all of it planned out. There's a clear and well defined Point A, and a clear and well defined Point Z, and there's various Points B, C, D, E etc that I'd like to hit as many as I can. What wualifies as a "point" can vary. It may be something as simple as a line of dialogue or it may be something as complex as an entire series of scenes, and I typically may change up what Points B-Y are as I go along.

As a small example, right now I really want to include this line of dialogue somewhere in a fanfic I'm writing:

"Stop doing that! It's very un-ladylike!"
"Everything I do is ladylike, for I am a lady."

I'm actually pretty bad at writing. Overuse of commas, sentence fragments. Using than instead of then. The works! I'm not so bad to funk up their, they're and there though.

Honestly I'm more of an idea girl, in my opinion. I just like to see my ideas come to fruition.

Most likely, I am going to write a story too. Maybe I will answer this census as well.

How often do you write? I try to type chapters almost everyday, outside of my homework time and school time. I also use some of my free time to think of new ideas.

What do you enjoy writing? I enjoy the very aspect of imagination. To me, writing is a gateway to express yourself or something you want.

Do you ever read works others post on this forum? Before my senior year came, I did read a lot more. However, as of current, I don't read too often. I would estimate that I read about 2 to 3 entries per week.

What do you enjoy reading? Stories with comedy, action, adventure, and maybe romance, or a variety of any of these are some that I mainly read. From time to time, I read the tragedies, horrors, and mysteries. However, my main interests are the action/adventure genre.

What sort of writer do you see yourself as? I see myself as a casual writer but I also tend to deviate and stagnate my thought process, which in the end disrupts my writing to a certain extent. I may need assistance to scan my chapters that I would write for some minor mistakes. In short, I see myself as a growing writer. If that makes sense.

How competent of a writer do you believe yourself to be? As I have said before, I get distracted easily, but I am more than willing to type at least a page a day.

I may or may not be original, but I'll try to make something out of nothing!

• 4 weeks later...

How often do you write?

Every couple days

Role Plays

Yes

Everything

Creative writer

3.5/5

I try to write something every day. Doesn't always pan out because life.

YGO fanfics, some satires on politics, bad poetry.

I wish I had more time to do that. I will make more effort while I write Season 3.

Right now: the biggest works of Marquis de Sade and Jonathan Swift. Black humor is as essential to life as coffee. 

Jack of all trades, master of none, is oftentimes better than master of one. 

I write badly and awkwardly now. I wrote worse and more awkwardly before.

ADDENDUM:

Dear devoted readers, I finished half of my notes working on my characters and the plot for Season 3. The second half should be much easier. I'm not dead. I fell in a dark pit by accident.

• How often do you write? I'd say I write at least three to four times a week.

What do you enjoy writing? I enjoy creating the story, and the certain rush I get up my spine when I finish. It's a really good feeling actually.

Do you ever read works others post on this forum? Yes, I do. I don't always comment on them though. Maybe I should?

What do you enjoy reading? I enjoy learning with the main character(s) and witnessing their despair, adversity, and happiness.

What sort of writer do you see yourself as? I see myself as a dark writer. Someone who could make "Dora The Explora" a scary story by just wording it differently.

How competent of a writer do you believe yourself to be? I believe I am capable of writing, but I still have a long way to go.

-FujiHD

I still don't know what this is all about.

• 2 weeks later...

How often do you write?

My schedule fluctuates quite often, but I do what I can from week to week.

I used to be in a job where I was the only one in on Sundays. That job gave me a lot of downtime on Sundays, and not a lot to do. It was an office job with computers, but I didn't wanna download steam or visit reddit. Instead, I just stuck my fanfic on a USB and wrote it there.

This year my schedule changed to a more standard M-F 9-5 so, while it's the same amount of free time I'm a bit more distracted at home.

I still do intend to push out about a chapter's worth of work (2k-4k words) every week, just like last year, starting some time around March. Some weeks I'll probably actually do about 1.5-2 chapters and stockpile them. Other weeks I'll probably not work at all, but have a spare chapter in reserve.

I'm also active on a Yugioh RP site that I won't name. If you want details, feel free to PM me.

Realistic Fantasy? Not sure what the genre would be. But basically something like "Our real world except [blank]". Typically the "blank" is something ridiculous involving magic, the supernatural, or gods.

I find myself having less time to read as I grow older, and unfortunately since there are so few "completed" fanfics it's hard to really get into them. If it's a good story, I'm annoyed it never finished. If it's a bad story... it's a bad story. Why did I waste my time reading it?

If anyone has a collection of "good" or at least "finished" stories, feel free to PM me.

I find myself quite liking Children's books, similar to the style I like writing. "Real world, but [blank]". I quite enjoyed the Percy Jackson series as well as a Series of Unfortunate Events.

Not too sure about this question? It's not asking about what I like to write, since I answered that before. It's not asking about my competency as a writer, since I answered that later. I'd say... consistent and plans a lot?

When I start a story I do usually try my best to see it through to completion. At the very least, I have almost all of it planned out. There's a clear and well defined Point A, and a clear and well defined Point Z, and there's various Points B, C, D, E etc that I'd like to hit as many as I can. What wualifies as a "point" can vary. It may be something as simple as a line of dialogue or it may be something as complex as an entire series of scenes, and I typically may change up what Points B-Y are as I go along.

As a small example, right now I really want to include this line of dialogue somewhere in a fanfic I'm writing:

"Stop doing that! It's very un-ladylike!"

"Everything I do is ladylike, for I am a lady."

I'm actually pretty bad at writing. Overuse of commas, sentence fragments. Using than instead of then. The works! I'm not so bad to funk up their, they're and there though.

Honestly I'm more of an idea girl, in my opinion. I just like to see my ideas come to fruition.

Reading through all the responses, I relate to this one quite a lot. 

• 4 weeks later...

[spoiler=spoiler] How often do you write?

Scarcely. I try to write every day in order to work on my book that I need to publish soon, but it’s a rollercoaster. I prefer not to write when I don’t have to.

Most of my writing is self-fulfilling and perhaps contributes to a napoleon complex. My favorite genres are realistic fiction, science fiction, and classical horror or things with biblical allusions. Short stories are also nice, because they are much easier to finish. I also write smut ;)))

Not very often, because there are so few posts. 

As little as possible. I always get bored reading, and that is why I must write the stories no one else knows how to tell.

The one who lives in a shopping cart xd

I like to act like I’m all that, because I have an A+ in English and know how to use active voice. People also often compliment my writing, ranging from either “well done” to “amazing.” Realistically, most of my writing is rather poor when looked upon with an unbiased lens. I have no idea how to actually write well, but I aspire to improve.

Lol this place is so dead.

Should we ask for a sample of writing from the people who post here?

Lol this place is so dead.

Should we ask for a sample of writing from the people who post here?

HONESTLY!

As a writer, I don't give two shits about other writers and what they're writing. What I care is what readers are doing, or what kind of story they're looking to read.

Is there any kind of "Reader Survey" that us writers can reference? "What kinds of stories do you like to read? How often do you read? Do you prefer reading chapter-by-chapter and waiting or do you prefer to read them all at once?" that sort of sheet.

ALTERNATIVELY!

I've always kinda wanted to work in a "shared universe" kinda thing, and if the inspiration struck I wouldn't be opposed to working collaboratively with someone.

Archived