[Rule Review and Implementation: Flooding]

Dad

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the following flooding rule be implemented? "Users may only post 1 topic per hour."

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter to me, pops.

For your discussion.  Please be aware that this is a zero tolerance thread.  Trolling, flaming, memeing, shitposting, etc. will not be tolerated.  You will be restricted from the thread and warned.  Any further activity will result in additional warning points, up to a temporary ban.

With regards to the General Section, I am considering a Flooding Clause.  What is a "Flooding Clause"?  

Flooding:  Posting numerous topics over the course of a short time period.

What would the "Flooding Clause" do, and how will it affect General?  The reason behind the "Flooding Clause" is to prevent single members from posting too many topics in one short interval, thereby "flooding" the board with threads too quickly.  The "Flooding Clause" that I intend to implement would look something like this:

Flooding:  Users may not post more than one thread per hour.

What does this do to General?  It may slow down a bit, but one thread an hour is really a soft push.  This is simply to get users to consolidate their posts and post in other sections as well.  Please take this time to review the "Flooding Clause" and voice your opinion.  After one week's time, this thread will be locked for final reviews before any action is taken.

Thank you for your attention.

I think the flooding clause is fine and fair, though could use elaboration on penalties for those that do break the rule. 

I've heard you bring up this "zero tolerance" policy a few times (including in Misc) in the past day, which is something I hadn't heard before. Is this simply a statement of your attitude towards existing rules or does it come with new rules including things like references to sexuality? 

I think the flooding clause is fine and fair.

I've heard you bring up this "zero tolerance" policy a few times (including in Misc) in the past day though, which is something I hadn't heard before. Is this simply a statement of your attitude towards existing rules or does it come with new rules including things like references to sexuality? 

You're right.  I've been more frequent about my zero tolerance policy.  I think, in order to clear the air and be transparent with members, I will issue a statement and leave it also up for review.  Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I think this is good, but I think the greater concern I have is that the issue is less to do with time and more to do with concentration. I use Winter as an example not out of personal choice, but because he fits the bill - the first page of General is filled with topics he's posted, essentially all to do with politics. They are essentially the breeding grounds of arguments, and many might be better suited as supporting sources in a debate rather than a thread in General. It seems like they're posted with an agenda, rather than as truly hot-button news worth discussing.

Maybe we could have a rule of like one politics thread per user per day in General, and see how that goes. I think it matters who posts the topic and how they choose to frame it.

I think this is good, but I think the greater concern I have is that the issue is less to do with time and more to do with concentration. I use Winter as an example not out of personal choice, but because he fits the bill - the first page of General is filled with topics he's posted, essentially all to do with politics. They are essentially the breeding grounds of arguments, and many might be better suited as supporting sources in a debate rather than a thread in General. It seems like they're posted with an agenda, rather than as truly hot-button news worth discussing.

Maybe we could have a rule of like one politics thread per user per day in General, and see how that goes. I think it matters who posts the topic and how they choose to frame it.

Stealing words right from my bill... or is it a beak?

I think the proposed rule amendment is a good idea. less trash(talk) and more legitimate discussion. might promote discussions of things besides politics as well.

As for that Zero tolerance policy. pin that sheet, put it in big bold letters, and enforce it. general could use a little more civility in my opinion.

now back to my RP cave I go.

13/24 topics in General's front page is started by the same user, and I think issues being only presented by one side definitely doesn't feel like an ideal environment for a healthy discussion. And like...lately some of the news-ish threads posted felt narrow and...well, pretty minor. I don't have any issues with minor news or topics that are narrow in nature and won't generate much discussion, but having the section filled with these is another thing entirely.

I agree with Wahrheit that concentration is more the issue in General. Honestly with how long topics in General can generate discussion, it's a section that I'd like a one topic per day limit per user to be implemented in it, although if there's a more elegant solution, I'd be up to it too.

That aside and might slightly feel unrelated...god, what's with the US-centricness of the section? I get that a majority of the site are from the US but is it possible to encourage posting more general world news? I get a feeling that General lately becomes more and more of an exclusive section, which is a big joke because it's named General.

13/24 topics in General's front page is started by the same user, and I think issues being only presented by one side definitely doesn't feel like an ideal environment for a healthy discussion. And like...lately some of the news-ish threads posted felt narrow and...well, pretty minor. I don't have any issues with minor news or topics that are narrow in nature and won't generate much discussion, but having the section filled with these is another thing entirely.

I agree with Wahrheit that concentration is more the issue in General. Honestly with how long topics in General can generate discussion, it's a section that I'd like a one topic per day limit per user to be implemented in it, although if there's a more elegant solution, I'd be up to it too.

That aside and might slightly feel unrelated...god, what's with the US-centricness of the section? I get that a majority of the site are from the US but is it possible to encourage posting more general world news? I get a feeling that General lately becomes more and more of an exclusive section, which is a big joke because it's named General.

I think multiple topics per day are probably unlikely and mostly fine, if you limit only one of them to politics.

It's amazing how people like Wahr literally rejoined the site a week ago and are already pushing a fascist agenda cause they're bothered by the topics present. Let's not pretend this is anything other than a partisan push, i.e. "YCM is taken over by breitbart"

If there's news, it should be posted. If it bothers you. Post topics out side of politics. I'm not gonna stop and make General die off in activity again just because wahr's lefty brain feels triggered

PS: funny how quickly mods react to this particular jabroniing, but routinely join hands to filibuster and give me a public lynching if I mention rep abuse in General/Debates

PSS: Dad has recurring warned me for update/bump/double posts designed to get a convo going. If that remains the case, something needs to be done to update a fairly apolitical userbase. People don't browse General for a living. But they would click on a topic if it flashes to most recent or the front page. It's on y'all if you wanna change the direction General goes in

It's amazing how people like Wahr literally rejoined the site a week ago and are already pushing a fascist agenda cause they're bothered by the topics present. Let's not pretend this is anything other than a partisan push, i.e. "YCM is taken over by breitbart"

dude get over yourself.

If there's news, it should be posted. If it bothers you. Post topics out side of politics. I'm not gonna stop and make General die off in activity again just because wahr's lefty brain feels triggered

one of the reasons debates was created was so that the forum wouldn't have to stare at general being covered in political bullshit. Keep it there, where it actuall belongs, rather than just having dorian move all of your threads.

PS: funny how quickly mods react to this particular jabroniing, but routinely join hands to filibuster and give me a public lynching if I mention rep abuse in General/Debates

because people actually give a sheet about this.

As for the clause itself, and wahrheit's suggestion regarding it, seems great. I would love to see more science stuff in general, rather than just politicspoliticspolitics

dude get over yourself.

one of the reasons debates was created was so that the forum wouldn't have to stare at general being covered in political bullshit. Keep it there, where it actuall belongs, rather than just having dorian move all of your threads.

because people actually give a sheet about this.

As for the clause itself, and wahrheit's suggestion regarding it, seems great. I would love to see more science stuff in general, rather than just politicspoliticspolitics

1) not an argument, you didn't refute it

2) debates was also created to create a modless no-barred debate setting. If you're gonna start talking about maintaining debates integrity, do so with all its goals. Not just the ones you like.

3) then do it? General has been dead w/o me. For all your jabroniing now, you guys hardly brought any attention to general before

posting a ton of threads that only a minority want to see there, when there is a section primarily dedicated to political discussion, isn't "saving" general. It is throwing the debate section at people who don't want to see it. How do you not understand that? It is like saying Ragnarok was a good member because he reviewed everything. Not all activity is desired activity.

You are trying to create this narrative where you are some hero that the fascist regime is killing, but you are alone in so many of your views. It isn't fascism if the majority is agreeing on these things. It is the closest thing to a democracy this forum can get.

General proper has largely lost its niche, resting somewhere between Miscellaneous for whimsical threads and Debates for serious ones. This largely accounts for why it's as dead as it is, and efforts to revitalize the section from users like White and Wahrheit are largely necessary to keep it from dying completely. It's also very hard to make a completely non-political thread.

posting a ton of threads that only a minority want to see there, when there is a section primarily dedicated to political discussion, isn't "saving" general. It is throwing the debate section at people who don't want to see it. How do you not understand that? It is like saying Ragnarok was a good member because he reviewed everything. Not all activity is desired activity.

You are trying to create this narrative where you are some hero that the fascist regime is killing, but you are alone in so many of your views. It isn't fascism if the majority is agreeing on these things. It is the closest thing to a democracy this forum can get.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

I'd say no. Wahr and other's disliking my political opinion isn't a good enough reason. Rag made spam posts with little to no relevance. You're pushing a false equivalency. If you look at the general section before this week. It was mostly me, and it was far less active. Y'all have never done much to help the section grow, and now that it's actually getting people like Flame Dragon and Shard to post in it, y'all wanna shut it down to maintain a safe-space you never wanted before

If the front page is filled with threads made by one user the correct cause of action isn't to get the other side to post more, especially since General is less than dead.

True, but the other side rarely posted. If there was a genuine fear that I have destroyed general, what did I destroy? To me it seems I'm just bring up some political talk to a section that had next to nothing before

I think what's more important than an arbitrary check on flooding is just being a bit more strict with the quality of threads. I don't think the following threads are significant enough and have enough potential to generate discussion to be in General:

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/360675-70-year-old-admits-robbing-bank-says-jail-is-better-than-staying-with-his-wife/

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/360663-igs-uc-berkeley-poll-shows-that-74-percent-of-californians-want-sanctuary-cities-ended/

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/360662-another-russian-conspiracy-debunked/

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/360633-dippin-dots-invites-wh-press-corps-for-ice-cream/

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/360656-florida-woman-sneaks-into-trump%E2%80%99s-mar-a-lago-resort-to-rub-banana-peels-on-cars/

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/360658-planned-parenthood-phone-call/

Some of these belong in some kind of master thread, others belong in misc. I don't think limiting the amount of threads one can post is necessarily going to help because 1 crap thread an hour is still a lot, I think it's better just to stick with bigger, more relevant news.

I think what's more important than an arbitrary check on flooding is just being a bit more strict with the quality of threads. I don't think the following threads are significant enough and have enough potential to generate discussion to be in General:

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/360675-70-year-old-admits-robbing-bank-says-jail-is-better-than-staying-with-his-wife/

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/360663-igs-uc-berkeley-poll-shows-that-74-percent-of-californians-want-sanctuary-cities-ended/

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/360662-another-russian-conspiracy-debunked/

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/360633-dippin-dots-invites-wh-press-corps-for-ice-cream/

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/360656-florida-woman-sneaks-into-trump%E2%80%99s-mar-a-lago-resort-to-rub-banana-peels-on-cars/

Some of these belong in some kind of master thread, others belong in misc. I don't think limiting the amount of threads one can post is necessarily going to help because 1 crap thread an hour is still a lot, I think it's better just to stick with bigger, more relevant news.

I totally support this actually. There should be a pinned thread for funny news stories.

Wife, Banana & Dots 

PPCall can be merged in with Abortion thread

Russian I think is actually a pretty important stand alone thread cause of allegations of treason from the left, but that's just me

Dad's been really good on the merging topics when reasonable, IDK why the sudden need to go thought police on matters

I think it's a good idea to have a flooding cause; I've been wondering for a while now on why it wasn't implemented yet since misc already had it. Although I think that the flooding clause should be a universal rule. Of course 1 topic per hour in each individual section.

Likely due to General being relatively calm until recent days [least with regards to Trump's new policies and stuff this week].

CC technically does have a rule on flooding [or least had something concerning how many threads one could post a day], but latter got dropped. In terms of reviews, provided you make a proper post and don't shortpost like ragnarok (or certain users nowadays) did, you can reply to multiple threads in succession. Outside that one new member last night, flooding's generally been nonexistent.

Outside of Misc/Games and probably TCG (but the surge is usually on release/leak days), rest of YCM is tame enough to not really need a flooding clause.

Answering the last part, it would be nice to have more general topics, but outside of the European refugee thing and things concerning Brexit, etc, is there anything outside the USA that the rest of us should know? (i.e. Stuff related to your own country's elections/laws/policies that can affect the rest of us in some shape or form, cultural stuff or other regular topics like clothing preference, college/work life, etc.)

Think the last major event that came outside of the United States and had some impact on world affairs was the king of Thailand passing away in October (Bellringer Angel posted that one). I could be wrong, and something else came up besides this.

====

We did have a talk amongst ourselves to determine the quality of posts that should be in General, least with regards to replying (at least post a decent amount and not just memes/reaction pics, as some posts have been in the past.) Then again, we do have a thread for minor news (or we did, but it got taken down at this point).

====

I thought the Dippin' Dots thing was pretty funny. The feud goes back for like 5 years, it's not just some thing that happened randomly. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise. I was hoping it would get more discussion not as a partisan issue, but as like, "Wow, that's a long time to hate an ice cream company! How did that happen?" I also was sort of hoping the story would keep developing so I could post updates.

A "funny news" thread could be good though.

Something I will touch on more later is topic merging. A lot of the actions taken by the White House don't require their own thread, nor do they necessarily belong in a minor news thread. A Trump Administration move should be consolidated into the main thread in debates. I know it's my job to move these threads, but there's really no reason for them to be created in the first place, outside of having a thread just to have it.

It's pinned, and there's plenty of room for discussion there. Just keep it in one thread.

I'll get to the rest of this after class.

Something I will touch on more later is topic merging. A lot of the actions taken by the White House don't require their own thread, nor do they necessarily belong in a minor news thread. A Trump Administration move should be consolidated into the main thread in debates. I know it's my job to move these threads, but there's really no reason for them to be created in the first place, outside of having a thread just to have it.

It's pinned, and there's plenty of room for discussion there. Just keep it in one thread.

I'll get to the rest of this after class.

So if something big happens, and I want to bring attention to it, can I double post and bump? Edits won't bring it to the forefront...the idea is I want convo on it

So if something big happens, and I want to bring attention to it, can I double post and bump? Edits won't bring it to the forefront...the idea is I want convo on it

Are you really that impatient that you can't wait for one reply, and you're asking me if you can break the rules for topic attention? No. That's not okay. If it's something really big, like the abortion bill or the wall, I will certainly have no problems with you making a thread for that. But the Itty-bitty stuff needs to be consolidated.

Are you really that impatient that you can't wait for one reply, and you're asking me if you can break the rules for topic attention? No. That's not okay. If it's something really big, like the abortion bill or the wall, I will certainly have no problems with you making a thread for that. But the Itty-bitty stuff needs to be consolidated.

That's the whole damn point Dad, people aren't taking the initiative to make one post >_>

If Roxas hadn't merged the posts, the thread would still be dead

Agreed, Economic Fascism needs an engine to work. That engine is the America Works type deal he's pushing. The sooner he gets Regulations cut, repatriations started, and infastructure underway, the better.

He needs to create them low skill jobs fast. As for coal...better to automate mining tbh. Trump is killing his most loyal voters by pushing for increased manual mining. There are other low skill jobs those workers can do that will give them decent pay and not kill them

He did it to like 6 other companies since carriar, but it's not self sufficient

Our education system is about to go further downhill. It's gonna be a long four years.

That's nearly a whole funking month, so yeah, I am a bit impatient cause of your double post restriction  

Archived