Public Relations Moderator to be Announced

Dad

I don't want to be an jabroni but I feel I have to ask a couple things.

1.) Do you think you can deal with the pressure?

2.) Why do you personally want to do this?

3) Can you deal with the recurring users of the debate forum. Realistically that's where most of the dispute will come from, and you'd need to be able to butt heads a bit. There's not a lot of mod-userbase territory disputes coming out of Clubs atm

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black and the rest of the team have spoken open and honestly about you, with nothing but positive mentions.  In the event that the public of YCM backs you, we'd of course be willing to work with you.  Especially us Genji mains.

I'm glad to hear that, honestly. If there were negative things in my consideration, I would wanna know about them right away! And I think I could set my distaste aside, I've gotten waaay better at hitting Gengu with Sleep Darts. >:T

I really love how black is willing to be objective about the mod team (and on many occasions be the voice of reason against certain members of it), putting someone similar to black, but maybe with a more publicly sweet personality (Josh, I like you, but you can be a c*** sometimes) would be dope. One the other hand, a straight talker like Hina would be appreciated too. She's been here for ages, not afraid of anyone really. And is pretty well respected all around. My top choice is still Hina birdie, but I would not be upset to see you get the job

Nah, that's fair dude. You don't have to see me as the best choice, I'm just glad to hear there wouldn't be a riot from ya if I do get it. That's honestly the most I can ask. I don't expect everyone to up and support me right away, I'm just hoping to be a serious consideration this time.

I don't want to be an a****** but I feel I have to ask a couple things.

1.) Do you think you can deal with the pressure?

2.) Why do you personally want to do this?

Nah, those aren't a****** questions, dude. Totally fair.

1. My mental state was a concern last time I was in the running for a moderation position, and was the big reason I was turned down. That was a while ago now, and I'm doing way better than I had been. My only real 'mental' issue now is that I have to deal with narcolepsy, which causes me to deal with insomnia and sometimes falling asleep randomly. I've gotten way better about dealing with pressure and stress, Black can attest to that. He didn't want me to be a moderator in the past because of stress issues. If he thought I couldn't handle it, my name wouldn't have even come up from him. Most of my stress comes from school, not YCM. And school is almost done for me, I've only got one credit hour left I have to get done there.

2. Even if YCM has moments that causes me some stress, I still care about you little babbies. I might not know all of ya well, but I care about this place. I've had ups and downs here, it's the only community I stuck around in. I've been on a number of forums in my time, one of them got overrun by spambots because of a similar situation to YCM. No active admin. Another one just... Got hostile, angry, and toxic. I don't want to see that happen here.

You guys are people I care about, I wanna do something to help the site, I wanna be able to make sure that gap I saw growing between mods and members doesn't get out of hand. The mod team sometimes needs to be brought down a level and understand your concerns, sometimes you guys get out of hand, but all that can be solved with some proper communication. I wanna try to make that happen.

3) Can you deal with the recurring users of the debate forum. Realistically that's where most of the dispute will come from, and you'd need to be able to butt heads a bit. There's not a lot of mod-userbase territory disputes coming out of Clubs atm

I'm not a fan of the subject matter that comes out in debates, I don't mind you all as people at all!

Like, I have nothing against you personally Winter, I'm just not a political person. I'll listen to complaints and stuff for sure, that's not an issue I have. As long as you don't want me spreading my political opinion, I have no issues keeping in mind the complaints from that section and conveying them to the mod team. I'm not gonna get caught up in the arguments about if 'X should be government regulated or not' but if you feel like someone is overstepping bounds, or if particular rules are too stifling? Then yeah, that's what this position is for.

In my opinion, an excellent PR mod choice would be someone who is generally acquainted with other members of this site. Also possessing the skills to diffuse tensions between two parties, or even assist in settling their differences, would be a plus as well. Being as objective as possible with both the mods and other members would be essential, although I wouldn't say that person should be a mod skeptic but it would be preferred if the PR mod isn't friends with the other mods to prevent unwarranted bias. But this would also go both ways: I think that it would also be preferred if the PR mod hasn't had any incidents with other members, (especially other moderators) in the past over some grievance. That way the PR mod wouldn't have any unneeded tension with others that would result in an abuse of their position or a lack of transparency towards one or more members.

words

What do you bring, personally, to the table here?

I am apprehensive to say this, due to our personal friendship, but I don't think you are really suited to this particular position. Your push for such a job to exist and desire to have it really aren't advantages enough for such a role. You claim that your stressors are outside of YCM, but even then, it doesn't matter what causes the issues when they directly impact your functionality. Not to mention that such a job requires a high tolerance for bullshit, which, unfortunately, I don't think you have.

The only real advantage you claimed was your ability to communicate with Black. If that is what is getting you the position, it honestly is just a matter of nepotism. Especially when you consider that the existing relationship creates an obvious bias that could very easily hinder your ability to perform the job well.

I understand that you want this, and that you have wanted it for longer than many others interested in the position have even been members, but that should not equate to qualification.

Can you dispel these concerns?

[OOC] I'd toss my name in if the public would have me. I ran for President and while my positions with respect to implementing an ASI were in part farcical, I do believe that communication and transparency are necessary, and would like to help facilitate that.

That said, without any support for myself presently, my opinions on other candidates: I would imagine a PR moderator would need to be well in the public eye, and while I trust Sombra/Birdie would be if selected, I don't know them at all, and based on the status bar, it would appear at least some others don't either. A member who is already reasonably familiar among the community would be preferable, in addition to having relationships with community members and existing moderators, for my vote anyway.

As such, I think I'd back CowCow.

I didn't wanna post in this thread and kinda just watch since I couldn't really think of anyone to nominate besides myself (because why the hell not), but Dad said if I wanna nominate myself to go voice that so I'm here to just nominate myself and list why I may or may not be an okay pick for the job. I'm kinda in the middle of some Age of Empires 3 gameplay so I'm only gonna leave three points for and against me then it's back to conquering the New World with my legion of samurai & ashigaru.

Or at least, that was the plan going in. I got the good things in, but when I sat and thought about "what are good reasons to not make me a mod?" I was kinda drawing up a blank. I know there are some, but I can't quite think of them. Whoever has them, feel free to point 'em out and I'll see what I can do to handle any concerns about if I became a mod.

[spoiler=Good things]

1. Online a lot: Pretty much every waking minute I've got, I'm either here or can be easily reached via Skype. Shouldn't have to go into detail on why a mod having lots of free time on their hands that they choose to spend here of all places is a good thing, right? If someone needs me, I'm here.
  2. Pretty good dude: Or at least, I've never heard anyone say I'm a bad guy in any capacity. As long as I don't put myself into a conflict with another person (and I'm pretty damn good at dodging conflict (usually)) I'm a pretty chill guy, and that sounds like something we could want in a PR mod. As mentioned earlier, Debates can be a pretty high-stress environment to be PR modding in, but I think I could adapt after a bit.
  3. Willing and able to learn: Something I like to say about me is "I only make the same mistake once". If and when I funk something up, I can usually pick up on what I did wrong if somebody didn't already point it out, and I generally don't forget how I funked something up, and avoid making the same mistakes in the future. This probably isn't the best way to phrase things because it makes it sound like I'll probably have some screw-ups, but I...actually forgot where this sentence was going. Don't worry, I've got this.

Also I'd make use of that Mod Fun Times Consent Form in misc; what's the point of consenting to mod fun if mods don't go do fun things? And I'm pretty into events (especially Halloween Masquerade) and might come up with ideas to make CW a bit more active. #MakeCWSuckSlightlyLess

I would definitely do it if the chance was given

Anyway, I've always wanted Fusion as a moderator. Plus it would make Night's dream of the moderator team being twelve (?) evilfusions twice as true. Night can then be put to rest like he has always wanted.

Fusion if willing.

>Liked by most as far as I know

>Good attitude

>Unlikely to be corrupt

>Kind/helpful

>Is goddamn Fusion

or me

Ohey cowcow showed up. I'd vote for him.

I don't know fusion well at all but he also seems like an upright dude.

Quack.

I suppose I will put my name as well, though I will be on record and say that I definitely support Fusion should I be passed up (assuming he has interest in the position.)

+1 for Fusion, if he wants it. He's well-known, well-liked and from what I've seen he's  level-headed and would be mature enough to handle it. I think someone as uncontroversial as that fits a  job like this very nicely.

Y'all are cool cats; I'm very flattered and thank you for considering me! Being a mod would definitely be interesting, but I don't think this is the right time. I'm actually starting a new full-time job next month and moving to a different state, so life's gonna get pretty busy for me the next few months. I can't guarantee my activity and I think it's important that new mods hit the ground running and make their presence felt. Plus I'm not as close with the community as I used to be; my activity amounts to being active in short bursts before going dormant again for semi-extended periods of time. Maybe next time.

Birdie, however, would be an excellent pick. A lot of the reasoning I gave for Black also applies to her, having been here for about as long and is intimately familiar with all sections of the site and their respective cultures. She's generally cool and fun, but will speak her mind even if it entails stepping on some toes. She's always honest and that's an important quality for any mod, particularly one in PR. Her angle with Black is also a huge perk because she's obtained more in-depth expectations on the job and the whole culture and politics behind being a mod. And I can personally say I've seen her transform over the years to become much more confident and comfortable with herself. 

Frankly, it's a no-brainer. #power2birdie

What do you bring, personally, to the table here?

I am apprehensive to say this, due to our personal friendship, but I don't think you are really suited to this particular position. Your push for such a job to exist and desire to have it really aren't advantages enough for such a role. You claim that your stressors are outside of YCM, but even then, it doesn't matter what causes the issues when they directly impact your functionality. Not to mention that such a job requires a high tolerance for bullshit, which, unfortunately, I don't think you have.

The only real advantage you claimed was your ability to communicate with Black. If that is what is getting you the position, it honestly is just a matter of nepotism. Especially when you consider that the existing relationship creates an obvious bias that could very easily hinder your ability to perform the job well.

I understand that you want this, and that you have wanted it for longer than many others interested in the position have even been members, but that should not equate to qualification.

Can you dispel these concerns?

Again, totally fair concerns, I really rather this stuff be brought up now rather than later. It's better to get this stuff out of the way, and make sure no inappropriate promotions happen.

That was mostly in response to Sakura asking if I was interested in the position, not so much things that would make me suited for it. You're right that advocating for the position to exist alone isn't a reason to have it.

Stressors off YCM stay off YCM for me. Just because I see something off YCM that causes me to have stress, doesn't mean I would bring that to YCM and take it out unfairly on someone here. I've seen that sort of thing happen before, it's not pretty and I wouldn't let that happen here. I've had things that happened elsewhere taken out on me, I know that's not okay, and I wouldn't bring those issues here. Life stresses everyone, that isn't an issue that just applies to me.

The high tolerance for bullshit is a fair thing to worry about, honestly I think it's the most valid concern here. I think I can handle that sorta thing nowadays. It's not something I can really just prove, considering I'm not in a position where I need to be putting up with forms of bullshit. If anything, the fact that I'm open about when I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed makes me feel better. I don't think putting on a strong face and acting like nothing is ever wrong is good for anyone, it sets unrealistic expectations, in the end, we're all human. It's about how you respond to it, not that you can just force it down.

Black and I don't agree on a lot of things. I communicate with him about them, discuss them with him, but we don't just agree. I don't think that my relationship with him would affect the job in that sense. It's really no different than his moderation time with Koko, they were close friends who often disagreed about various practices in moderation, and they had even a disagreement over it before Koko left the site entirely. 

That leaves what I can bring to the position, I saved this one for last because it was kinda the most important one I felt. What I bring to the position isn't someone perfectly liked by a segment of the community and then seen in a really negative light by the other. I don't think I'm particularly polarizing when it comes to my likability in most cases, and I always do my best to be approachable. I don't go out of my way to antagonize people, and I do my best to always be objective to issues. I don't coddle the mod team, I don't blindly support the members. I try to bring constructive criticism, rather than just complaints that bring things down.

But I believe, unless I'm really mistaken, that overall I have a good track record with the members. I don't have a history of constant conflict with individual people or a poor reputation from starting things and never letting them go. And that's part of what I think is important to the position, putting someone polarizing into it doesn't seem like a strong move.

But I believe, unless I'm really mistaken, that overall I have a good track record with the members. I don't have a history of constant conflict with individual people or a poor reputation from starting things and never letting them go. And that's part of what I think is important to the position, putting someone polarizing into it doesn't seem like a strong move.

I imagine this portion was directed at me, and is a totally reasonable point. I have definitely had issues with people. Admittedly, many of the issues (at least with the mod team) are due to me pushing for change (in endeavors in which I was supported) so I could make a point about how they demonstrate my willingness to put my own reputation on the line to get something done. My other issues are personal, and not relevant to this. That said, I am not ultimately very popular, so I don't have the support to achieve the position in this set-up. If people were to support me, I would jump at the opportunity, especially as I feel I am the most technically qualified for the job, but if the support isn't there, it simply isn't there.

Also of note, your neutrality and friendliness are not unique among those in the thread. A wonderful example is Yui. He is extremely friendly toward members, new and old alike (often posting in introductions), and is very active and present on the site, posting regularly in multiple sections, and playing a large role in the most recent Halloween event, which I think is a pretty major qualification for a role such as this.

Don't think the person's been mentioned yet.

Polar Ice.

From the posts I see on debates and general and such, I think he(gonna assume, correct me if you must) is one of the more intelligent members on the site. He's very civil, compared to Winter who I personally don't have a problem with as a member myself but is too unliked and most likely unfitting to serve well as a PR mod. More importantly, he doesn't kiss mod ass all the time, which I consider important, without being overly hostile with them, at least not that I've seen. For a PR guy it's important to be willing to communicate well with the people you're meant to convey their intentions to other people, but I don't believe they need to be overly friendly. As I've seen on Debates, he's already willing to do that.

He would not get my vote for an actual modship position because sometimes I feel his morals get in the way (like his disapproval of Giga's rant in that guy's thread, the one who left, can't remember his name) but as a PR mod? I think he'd be a decent pick. Do tell if there's some issue I missed that would make him unsuitable.

Also of note, your neutrality and friendliness are not unique among those in the thread. A wonderful example is Yui. He is extremely friendly toward members, new and old alike (often posting in introductions), and is very active and present on the site, posting regularly in multiple sections, and playing a large role in the most recent Halloween event, which I think is a pretty major qualification for a role such as this.

Not to downplay myself, but I only actively post in like two sections. RP and Misc. I've been everywhere at one point or another, bar the Multimedia sections and Debates, but those two are the only ones I'm still particularly active in.

EDIT: Wait actually, I've been to Multimedia like four times ever (excluding Rai's old music thread). Three were for anime secret santas and one was when we had a Skullgirls thread I posted in like three or four times.

Don't think the person's been mentioned yet.

Polar Ice.

From the posts I see on debates and general and such, I think he(gonna assume, correct me if you must) is one of the more intelligent members on the site. He's very civil, compared to Winter who I personally don't have a problem with as a member myself but is too unliked and most likely unfitting to serve well as a PR mod. More importantly, he doesn't kiss mod ass all the time, which I consider important, without being overly hostile with them, at least not that I've seen. For a PR guy it's important to be willing to communicate well with the people you're meant to convey their intentions to other people, but I don't believe they need to be overly friendly. As I've seen on Debates, he's already willing to do that.

He would not get my vote for an actual modship position because sometimes I feel his morals get in the way (like his disapproval of Giga's rant in that guy's thread, the one who left, can't remember his name) but as a PR mod? I think he'd be a decent pick. Do tell if there's some issue I missed that would make him unsuitable.

ftr this is an actual mod position, it's just one that's also meant to be the voice of the members to the team/mods to the members of the site

Points are fair, and his name is being added atm, just letting you know that this isn't for some lesser position, just not a section position.

ftr this is an actual mod position, it's just one that's also meant to be the voice of the members to the team/mods to the members of the site

Points are fair, and his name is being added atm, just letting you know that this isn't for some lesser position, just not a section position.

Well that's alright but, the position mainly emphasizes being the PR guy right? If there's a decision conflict between him and another mod, unless there's good reason on the PR's side it'd be the other mod's decision that carries more weight?

Well that's alright but, the position mainly emphasizes being the PR guy right? If there's a decision conflict between him and another mod, unless there's good reason on the PR's side it'd be the other mod's decision that carries more weight?

Not really.

The team is short on decision makers and PR, which is where this comes in. We are both fortifying our active team members AND asking for a go-between to relate to both the members and the staff.

Any decisions will still be handled as a team, with the exception of handling a specific section belonging to a certain moderator, whose actions are still up for discussion.

My only problem with Yui is his aversion for the debates section (correct me if I'm wrong yui)

I'd think you would have to be pretty well suited to deal with that section if you're gonna take up this job

I'd like to say you're wrong, but you aren't. If the job requires it, I can start visiting and getting used to seeing how things go there, though. Just don't expect me to post much there, if at all; I'm not really a person with much in the ways of political views, and last I'd checked that was most all of the section.

I'd like to say you're wrong, but you aren't. If the job requires it, I can start visiting and getting used to seeing how things go there, though. Just don't expect me to post much there, if at all; I'm not really a person with much in the ways of political views, and last I'd checked that was most all of the section.

He is referring to the fact that, in the past, you have posted statuses about your dislike for the section as a whole. I don't think he is expecting the new mod to be active there, and if he is, that razor cuts off plenty more than just yourself.

He is referring to the fact that, in the past, you have posted statuses about your dislike for the section as a whole. I don't think he is expecting the new mod to be active there, and if he is, that razor cuts off plenty more than just yourself.

After looking through my statuses and trying real hard to remember things, I think those statuses were when the section was still fairly new, but I could be wrong since I'm bad with dates. I still have no desire to post there, but by now I've sorta lost any particular grievances I had for the section itself. Things are being moderated fairly well as I understand, and I'm pretty out-of-touch with what it currently looks like to where it's not fair for me to think it's the same as it was when I publically couldn't stand the place. Does that help any?

NGL man, I think you should become a mod mod. But I'm skeptical you'd want a PR job that will likely involve settling debates debates. Do you really want this?

Birdie.

Parentheses.

Hina.

Hina and Birdie would be terrific and the mods should give both a chance

Pear wants it?

NGL man, I think you should become a mod mod. But I'm skeptical you'd want a PR job that will likely involve settling debates debates. Do you really want this?

This job would more likely entail gathering information about what the environment and attitudes are like in the section, so as help the Dad (and the team as a whole) moderate in a way that serves the user base.

Which, to be clear, I have an actual interest in doing.

Mods, correct me if I'm wrong.

Not really.

The team is short on decision makers and PR, which is where this comes in. We are both fortifying our active team members AND asking for a go-between to relate to both the members and the staff.

Any decisions will still be handled as a team, with the exception of handling a specific section belonging to a certain moderator, whose actions are still up for discussion.

The PR Mod is a Mod Mod.

Like Night said during Summer, the team is slowly shifting towards moderators having roles more than sections, such as how I plan to handle the events and try to manage the team to a degree, plus trying to do PR to differing degrees of success.

Their duties will be, more or less:

Official mouthpiece.

Work to increase transparency, to lessen the feeling of "Shady dealings" between the mods.

Be a mod who is neutral ground, to listen to and help members out without fear of repurcussion, barring outright breaking the rules.

Team Member, helping to resolve and decide on issues and rules as they come up.

Honestly, there are two members I think really deserve this position, and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing us get a duo. We've had such happen many times in the past with mods, so if the team wanted to, I'd be game.

Archived