How does the warning point system work?

Wahrheit

Question

20 answers to this question

How do moderators handle "repeat offenders" if not with warning points?

Yep, this is a problem which the mod team has tried to find a solution to. Been thinking of permanent warning points, but that discussion dropped off the radar a while back.

How many warning points would I get if I, for example, necrobumped a thread in Questions & Help?

Depends on how old it is; either I'll just give a verbal reminder to check the dates if it's not THAT old, or a light/moderate warn for old stuff. You really should have no reason to bump anything from the past couple years though (and I do mean way back in time).

Necro rule for Q/A is still 30 days (though considering how inactive the section is, may be loosened).

I'm going to be explaining my own approach. Other mods would have their approaches, so the explanation I'm about to offer is not necessarily true of other mods.

Say that I choose to warn you. A page opens up, first asking me to list a reason to warn you. This could vary from spamming to feature abuse, among others. Each reason has a default number. I adhere to this number, and in cases where a member is guilty of multiple offenses simultaneously, I combine those default numbers to indicate that the member is being punished because they have broken multiple rules.

In cases where a reason is not quite clear, but the moderation team agrees that warning points should be given, those tend to have a set amount of warning points to give.

Couldn't you just ban them for X period of time if they hit X points?

Warning points expire before repeat offenders get warned enough half the time is the problem. They automatically get on mod queue I believe at 7 points which is basically a content lock.

Points expire after a set amount of time (This varies depending on how many points were given and the severity of the offense to warrant warning points), but if someone misbehaves frequently enough that they accumulate ten warning points, then they will be temporarily banned. The length of the ban will also vary, and is usually determined on a case by case basis. Permabans are also judged on a case by case basis, and are usually only given out to spambots (And I think we're seeing significantly fewer bots than we had around 2013), or after a varying number of temporary bans.

Again, this is how I see it. If another moderator wants to offer a different perspective, feel free to chime in.

Points expire after a set amount of time (This varies depending on how many points were given and the severity of the offense to warrant warning points), but if someone misbehaves frequently enough that they accumulate ten warning points, then they will be temporarily banned. The length of the ban will also vary, and is usually determined on a case by case basis. Permabans are also judged on a case by case basis, and are usually only given out to spambots (And I think we're seeing significantly fewer bots than we had around 2013), or after a varying number of temporary bans.

Again, this is how I see it. If another moderator wants to offer a different perspective, feel free to chime in.

Has there been any discussion about standardizing the number of points and length of ban?

There currently are no listed standard punishments for rule violations. I feel their integration would greatly improve the site, and made a suggestion thread with proposed penalties by violations. https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/358413-suggested-rule-revisions/

I hope there will be further dialogue regarding this matter. 

I thought there used to be a standard of punishment somewhere at some point. Though if it wouldn't be anymore it'd be due to gray areas said chart would have trouble covering without having too many clauses.

I'm gonna guess there's a sort of general idea or unspoken standard, like for example, breaking the advanced clause at CC once won't get the user 9 points just because the mod feels like it.

Oh. So maybe mods should just be more willing to give out warnings?

In the last rulebook update, it was stated that warn points would be given out more frequently as opposed to verbal reminders, especially if you've been long enough to know what you did wrong and were penalized in the past for doing the same thing.

Outside of a select few members, we haven't really needed to penalize as much with the new system. There is also the issue of certain members needing to be warned more often (or least tougher punishments on them), but discourse on how to actually go about doing it based on the actions in question. 

====

Also, it's 20 warn points and you get banned; not 10 (this would be true on MyBB YCM); 10 WP just gets you post/status locked for a few days (however depending on severity, certain punishments may be given out at lower levels).

====

I thought there used to be a standard of punishment somewhere at some point. Though if it wouldn't be anymore it'd be due to gray areas said chart would have trouble covering without having too many clauses.

I'm gonna guess there's a sort of general idea or unspoken standard, like for example, breaking the advanced clause at CC once won't get the user 9 points just because the mod feels like it.

AC break penalties are explicitly mentioned in the rulebook. Outside of a few rare cases where I've had to use the second level ones, first level default ones are the punishments I apply often in CC (if not verbal reminders). No one's ever gotten to the 3rd and subsequent one, which is good. If you break the AC while doing something else against the rules, then the punishment will be higher, but so far, it hasn't happened; least not in recent days. 

I think I made mentions to other offenses that will warrant a certain number of warn points, but may need to look them over. 

But yeah, I'm not going to post-lock / put members on mod queue for breaking the AC once (if it's just a simple mistake). Nowadays, I am giving out verbal reminders before going for the warn points; least for newer members and some older vets who may not have come here in a while. 

In the last rulebook update, it was stated that warn points would be given out more frequently as opposed to verbal reminders, especially if you've been long enough to know what you did wrong and were penalized in the past for doing the same thing.

Outside of a select few members, we haven't really needed to penalize as much with the new system. There is also the issue of certain members needing to be warned more often (or least tougher punishments on them), but discourse on how to actually go about doing it based on the actions in question. 

====

Also, it's 20 warn points and you get banned; not 10 (this would be true on MyBB YCM); 10 WP just gets you post/status locked for a few days (however depending on severity, certain punishments may be given out at lower levels).

====

AC break penalties are explicitly mentioned in the rulebook. Outside of a few rare cases where I've had to use the second level ones, first level default ones are the punishments I apply often in CC (if not verbal reminders). No one's ever gotten to the 3rd and subsequent one, which is good. If you break the AC while doing something else against the rules, then the punishment will be higher, but so far, it hasn't happened; least not in recent days. 

I think I made mentions to other offenses that will warrant a certain number of warn points, but may need to look them over. 

But yeah, I'm not going to post-lock / put members on mod queue for breaking the AC once (if it's just a simple mistake). Nowadays, I am giving out verbal reminders before going for the warn points; least for newer members and some older vets who may not have come here in a while. 

Yes, iirc, the standard was 3 points last time I checked.

It was just the only example I could come up with as an example, though I should have thought harder to find a less standardized cause of punishment.

I didn't know there were extra levels or that preventing people from using statuses was really a thing so that's very interesting to know.

I recall at some point warns were given in % rather than just points. Must have been a while back xD

bans, week bans, month bans, day bans

I assume you're talking about me, so I'm speaking from perspective. They also strip people of rights. Such as status privs (happened to Dae and Polaris), posting rights, etc

It was an abstract question. I don't know why you take all of my vague comments as being about you.

Archived