Expand "Anime and Manga" to "Animation and Graphic Novels"

Animation & Graphic Novels  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Anime & Manga" section be expanded into an "Animation & Graphic Novels" section?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other suggestion (Please clarify)

The separation of anime from western animation is ultimately pretty silly, as I see it. It also causes confusion with anime-inspired western works, like RWBY and Avatar. The reverse exists as well, with Japanese animation that doesn't adhere to the tropes common in anime (such as miyazaki films).

Additionally, the current setup leaves no real place for western comics, aside from literature or something, which is clearly not geared for such.

Alternatively/additionally, manga/comics could be a subsection of anime/animation. This justifies a show and its corresponding graphic novel having separate threads (which would not compete for activity) which is good for materials where they differ, such as Soul Eater or FMA.

Literature has been the closest I could think of for where to discuss western comics, but you're right, it's not what that section is meant for. Movies & TV Shows has plenty of discussion about animation, but RWBY and Avatar are good examples of when it might not be clear. 

I approve of turning Anime & Manga into Animation & Graphic Novels. Current animation threads in Movies & TV Shows would be moved over, which I don't think would be too much of a loss. Movies & TV Shows could still cover other forms of media, and still be fairly active. I'm not sure about making one into a subsection of the other, but at least trying to movie western animation and comics closer to Anime & Manga could be a good start.

(), do you want a poll for this? I'm all for this, but I'd rather have a poll (Probably in Anime & Manga itself) just to make sure that as many people as possible get a say in this. It's very simple to expand that section like you're asking, but I don't want to do it until I know it's a change everyone will be happy with.

While moving the animated shows out of Movies/TV will eat some of the activity in the section, the section still has enough going for it to have active discussions. As such, changing anime to animation is a great suggestion. Opening up the section to any graphic novel is basically a free roll since we don't really have a section for them atm anyway.

I don't really like having manga/comics be a subsection though, especially when a lot of manga series to get anime adaptations. While it might work for series like FMA, a lot of series have really faithful adaptations for their series and will often just end up with people repeating themselves.

It'd probably be ideal to merge them, especially if the activity in either or both is not all that big anyways.

Though I'd like to nitpick about the name not covering non-animation TV shows and movies.

Or maybe you are talking about moving only the animated parts of Movies & TV Shows over to the newly named section, and leaving the Movies & TV Shows section in existence but with fewer content?

In which case, I think it is a good idea for the newly named section, although I have my doubts a non-animated section left behind would produce enough activity to even warrant a section of its own.

Moving this thread from Comments & Suggestions to the section currently known as "Anime & Manga"!

I have also added a poll. () has requested for the votes to not be anonymous, and a third option in case anyone has different ideas, similar to the notion of potential subsections, or anything else you have in mind. Even if you simply vote "Yes" or "No", please explain why you may support or oppose such a decision.

Or maybe you are talking about moving only the animated parts of Movies & TV Shows over to the newly named section, and leaving the Movies & TV Shows section in existence but with fewer content?

This is my preference, so if people do want Anime & Manga to become Anime & Graphic Novels, that's what I will be doing.

Uh... What's the difference?

Anime is the japanese term for animation

and manga is the japanese term for graphic novel

they mean the same thing. Seems pretty pointless imo. It's just swapping from japanese terms to english terms.

The idea is to group western shows under that banner as well.

So Steven Universe and MLP for example would be discussed in that section rather than in Movies/TV. And comics like Batman or Iron Man could be discussed here too rather than in Literature, a beyond dead section.

I'm game for this plan. I don't think we need to add any subsections, just rebrand the one section.

Uh... What's the difference?

Anime is the japanese term for animation

and manga is the japanese term for graphic novel

they mean the same thing. Seems pretty pointless imo. It's just swapping from japanese terms to english terms.

Using the Japanese terms gives the impression that the section is exclusively focusing on Japanese animation and comics, so changing to the English terms allows the section to expand its focus to also include discussion on western animation and comics.

Using the Japanese terms gives the impression that the section is exclusively focusing on Japanese animation and comics, so changing to the English terms allows the section to expand its focus to also include discussion on western animation and comics.

Wouldn't using the English terms also subsequently imply that its exclusively focusing on western animation/comics? 

My issue is that this section is already active enough, and Movies & TV Shows could definitely use the traffic. There are some active discussions otherwise to be sure, but I dunno, doesn't seem that worth it to me when I try to look at what's left. Animation seems to have been the main draw, honestly. As to what gets people coming back, and coming back, and coming back (looking at you, MLP & RWBY). But other than that... it's not really that much different in activity than it would be, so of course, that could go the other way, we may as well make the main draw in animation even bigger by combining all that, even if the other suffers just a bit.

Sure comics don't really fit into Literature, but you could either change the name there, or create a subsection there for it. I know, seems like much too flimsy a suggestion, as if the subsection of Literature was actually tested out, it might be even less active than Literature main just because it's under Literature or something. Needless to say, I have no clue what I would rather vote for, since I'm not exactly against it.

My issue is that this section is already active enough, and Movies & TV Shows could definitely use the traffic. There are some active discussions otherwise to be sure, but I dunno, doesn't seem that worth it to me when I try to look at what's left. Animation seems to have been the main draw, honestly. As to what gets people coming back, and coming back, and coming back (looking at you, MLP & RWBY). But other than that... it's not really that much different in activity than it would be, so of course, that could go the other way, we may as well make the main draw in animation even bigger by combining all that, even if the other suffers just a bit.

Sure comics don't really fit into Literature, but you could either change the name there, or create a subsection there for it. I know, seems like much too flimsy a suggestion, as if the subsection of Literature was actually tested out, it might be even less active than Literature main just because it's under Literature or something. Needless to say, I have no clue what I would rather vote for, since I'm not exactly against it.

Good points all around. I'm not too concerned about Literature because of how dead that section is, but I do worry about Movies & TV Shows.

Also glad to hear other thoughts, such as any confusion between Japanese and English terms. If this does go through, this is a good way to start initial discussion to make sure any transition works smoothly.

The effects this decision may have on Movies & TV Shows, and Literature, are being addressed here: https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/360879-animation-graphic-novels-and-what-to-do-with-literature/

While I would like there to be a few more votes, it does seem like this decision may go through. I will give this until February 5th before taking any action, so over the next few days, I would like to address any more concerns anyone has.

Archived