Treaty on Uniform Nomenclature

5195l9wrMdL.jpg

Effect: If you control 2 or more face-up monsters with the same name, except Tokens: Apply this effect, depending on how many you control,

(): Exactly 2: Destroy 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls.

(): Exactly 3: Destroy all Spell/Trap Cards your opponent controls.

I know this card is old, but I would like to start a discussion on it because the only archetype I could see using this is Cyber Dragons.

Someone said a card sucks BECAUSE it's a Trap Card. Does that mean all Trap Cards are officially too slow for the game and all of them suck no matter how good they are (which this one is not)?

In my opinion, yes. The game got too fast for Trap Cards, and if the rumored rule changes turn out to be fake, Trap Cards will go extinct. No one will use them anymore.

There's no point in discussing a Trap Card because no matter how broken it is, it will automatically suck because it's a Trap Card. It's just too slow for today's game.

Someone said a card sucks BECAUSE it's a Trap Card. Does that mean all Trap Cards are officially too slow for the game and all of them suck no matter how good they are (which this one is not)?

In my opinion, yes. The game got too fast for Trap Cards, and if the rumored rule changes turn out to be fake, Trap Cards will go extinct. No one will use them anymore.

There's no point in discussing a Trap Card because no matter how broken it is, it will automatically suck because it's a Trap Card. It's just too slow for today's game.

Not inherently true, but it's a common theme these days. Counter Traps still warrant discussion and are always viable. Archetypal traps can still be effective, given the rest of the archetype is actually good.

why people make this leap in winter logic, obv exception exist tho

like if u pay attention 2 consensus traps obv there are comparatively powerful trap worth ur while just gotta stay woke

like take Pendulumgraph of Spacetime its pretty good but you can just get away with 1 copy (read: only trap in the whole deck) cause it supa searchable, but its obv that Spacetime is the best card of deck

historically modern ygo has favored searchable traps (fogblade, majespecter tempest, SPYRAL Handy Grappling Hook) or really brokin trap so if u take a look at nomenclature it got a meme activation condition and a pretty weak effect are we looking at the same card yeah we are

As if you needed to take my seemingly ignorant comment and create your own seemingly ignorant comment.

The fact is, Traps will always play a part in the game for being...traps. This particular card would fit better as a Spell Card because of how much it can do the same turn you would spam monsters. Yet this was made in the old days where Heavy Storming stuff was still a bit hurtful and spamming multiple monsters was not common. The more recent Traps have evolved to fit more floodgatey, generic, disruptive, and synergetic roles, but not much has changed for Trap usage; it only seems relatively in lower use cause formats do change. Hell I think we see more traps now than before since the evolution of consistency can make opening plays not brick and setup traps for ensuring dominance/disruption because of stuff requiring 1 or 2 cards to combo. 

among my favorite random cards in casual Paleozoics. it's pretty easy to mill the right stuff, since there's already a foolish burial of traps monster built into the deck, and you can even adjust the output of destruction, since you can bring another Paleozoic (with the same name) out before resolution.

Archived