"Crystal Infinity"- A Crystal Beast support card

CybZer0

DISCLAIMER: THE IMAGE USED IN THE MAKING OF THIS CARD BELONG TO MARVEL'S DIGITAL CONTENT. I, CYBZER0, DO NOT CLAIM OWNERSHIP OF THE IMAGE USED AND RECOGNIZE IT'S RIGHTFUL OWNER MARVEL.

Crystal Beats Support.

Synopsis: A continuous spell card that increases the efficiency of Crystal Beasts via special summons, deck thinning, and most importantly, it eliminates any worries about your crystal beasts continuous spell cards. Inspired by: Infinity Gems, Fire Formation-Tenki, Zoodiac Barrage, Foolish Burial, and Substitute Toad. The card in no way reflects the Infinity Gems other than it's colors.

The exponent in the written card text is there to reference my reasoning later on.

[spoiler=Crystal Infinity] createcard_9.jpg

Effect: ¹You can only control 1 face-up "Crystal Infinity". When this card is activated: You can add 1 card from your Deck to your hand that has "Crystal Beast" in it's text or name (except "Crystal Infinity"). You can only activate this effect of "Crystal Infinity" once per turn. ²"Crystal Beast" monsters in your Graveyard are treated as though they are face-up Continuous Spell Cards in your S/T Card Zone (they do NOT occupy the S/T Card Zone). ³Once per turn, if a Monster(s) is Special Summoned (except by this effect): You can send 1 "Crystal Beast" Monster from your Deck to the Graveyard, then you can Special Summon 1 "Crystal Beast" Monster from your hand or Graveyard.

¹ To my knowledge at least, crystal beats don't have a stratos or a tenki. This effect is powerful, searches everything crystal beasts needs, but remember this is crystal beasts. How powerful are they now compare to more competent decks? They need this kind of effect to be on par with consistency to decks that are super consistent.

² Eliminates the worry of having your crystal beasts spell cards destroyed and freeing space in your s/t card zone to use your s/t cards.

³ This helps crystal beasts and this card get going. Summoning your crystal beasts to further make your plays or defend yourself during your opponent's, all while its increasing the amount of crystal beasts you have in your graveyard and because of this card's effect, it in turns increases the amount of crystal beats continuous spell cards you control. You can also kinda consider it like a pseudo Maxx C, the more your opponent special summons, the more you special summon too. This also helps Ancient City-Rainbow Ruins by utilizing all 5 it's effects.

Please criticize.

1. While it's OCG-only, Crystal Vanguard exists. Needing to Tribute slows down the plays a little, but being a Pendulum Monster within their archetype helps in keeping things going once the scales are set and protected. Also it provides a slightly more concise search criteria.

2. Very unusual interactions are likely to arise from that. From what I gather, Crystal Promise becomes a Monster Reborn, Rainbow Ruins becomes a nigh-indestructible engine that draws you bucketloads of cards even without the appropriate setup, and so on. How does this work with cards that want you to send S/T Crystal Beasts to the Graveyard? For instance, can I use Rare Value as a Pot of Greed, and can I cast Crystal Abundance for free? I understand this one effect allows Crystal Infinity to function properly and avert field-clogging, but it's also the most problematic one.

3. The lack of a once-per-turn restriction can open up some silly combos. Let me try to break it.

SS anything, even a Pendulum Summon -> dump and SS Pegasus -> put Pegasus in S/T Zone -> Crystal Promise Pegasus -> put a beast in S/T Zone, dump and SS Pegasus, put another beast in S/T Zone -> Xyz Summon with 2 Pegasus -> dump and SS a LV4 Beast -> Detach a Pegasus to use an effect -> Xyz Summon with the remaining Pegasus and LV4 Beast -> Dump a Crystal Beast, revive Pegasus, put a beast in S/T Zone -> etc

Yyyyeah, this is busted. Oh, and there's nothing constraining how many copies of this card you can control at once? I've just demonstrated what silly things I can do with just one; imagine 2 or 3.

@Trebuchet MS Appreciate the critique. To respond to your statements...

1. I wasn't aware of crystal vanguard as I only focus on tcg and tcg releases. I pay little attention to ocg. Even I said to myself the searching of crystal infinity is a bit overdone. Initially I design it to search only the crystal beasts monsters like tenki. Idk if I should keep the searching or not. If I do keep, I'll limit its ability.

2. Now I'm no YGO ruling master just to thow that out there. In my head when I was writing this effect, I thought of it like this: Because Crystal Infinity only treats Crystal Beasts as if they are in your s/t card zone, you can't use Rare Value or Crystal Abundance because the Crystal Beasts aren't ACTUALLY there. They're only treated as if they are there. You need the Crystal Beast to physically be there in order to use Rare Value. They're "ghosts" in the s/t card zone if that makes sense.

3. Initially in the design I did have it so that you can only control 1. I was aware of the shenanigans you can pull off with this, it was intentional because I wanted crystal beasts to be powerful. But I guess power went to my head, haha. I very much agree, it should, and I will, implement that restriction of only being able to control 1. With controlling just 1 though you still prove it to be busted, but I think its a justifiable because of the cards and decks we have today. However, I don't want to include the once per turn because this effect will push crystal beasts a step closer to making those strong boards that meta decks can pump out like zoodiacs.

To anyone in this post, should I exclude the searching? And should I add the once per turn for the third effect? You have me thinking in my head about it, but I'm not convince.

Archived