[Sakura AGM] Cheetah Racer (15/?)

Flash Flyer - Sakura

A group of Beast-Warrior monsters with a need for speed. If you love playing card games on motorcycles, these cats will stick by your side to the end. Their abilities cost Speed Counters, making them seem like they're only any good with a Speed World, but that's not true. You see, every time you summon a Cheetah Racer, all the other ones gain speed counters, and they're a versatile archetype, with effects for removal, draw power, and even burn damage. Kind of a Cloudian-meets-Turbo-Dueling concept.

[spoiler=Monsters]

Cheetah Racer Champion Blur

Level 8 | WIND | Beast-Warrior | Effect

2900/2400

① When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Place 2 Speed Counters on all "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control. ② While this card has 8 or more Speed Counters, it cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects. ③ You can remove 12 Speed Counters from "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control; destroy all cards your opponent controls.

Cheetah Racer Champion Accel

Level 6 | WIND | Beast-Warrior | Effect

2300/1700

① When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Place 2 Speed Counters on all "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control. ② You can remove 8 Speed Counters from "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control, then target 2 cards your opponent controls or in the Graveyard; banish them. 

Cheetah Racer Kōsoku

Level 4 | WIND | Beast-Warrior | Effect

1800/1000

① When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Place 1 Speed Counter on all "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control. ② Once per turn: You can remove 4 Speed Counters from "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control, then target 1 "Cheetah Racer" monster you control; it can make a second attack during each Battle Phase.

Cheetah Racer Kuàisù

1600/1400

① When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Place 1 Speed Counter on all "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control. ② Once per turn: You can remove 4 Speed Counters from "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control; add 1 "Cheetah Racer" card from your Deck to your hand.

Cheetah Racer ʻĀwīwī

1400/1800

① When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Place 1 Speed Counter on all "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control. ② Once per turn: You can remove 4 Speed Counters from "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower "Cheetah Racer" monster from your hand or Deck, except "Cheetah Racer ʻĀwīwī".

Cheetah Racer Sarie

1600/1300

① When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Place 1 Speed Counter on all "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control. ② Once per turn: You can remove any number of Speed Counters from "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control; your opponent takes 300 damage for every Speed Counter removed by this effect.

Cheetah Racer Vave

1700/1200

① When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Place 1 Speed Counter on all "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control. ② Once per turn: You can remove 4 Speed Counters from "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control, then target 1 monster on the field; destroy it.

Cheetah Racer Tere

1500/1500

① When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Place 1 Speed Counter on all "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control. ② Once per turn: You can remove 4 Speed Counters from "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control, then target 1 Spell/Trap Card on the field; destroy it.

Cheetah Racer Cepat

1300/1900

① When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Place 1 Speed Counter on all "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control. ② Once per turn, during either player's turn, if a card or effect is activated: You can remove 6 Speed Counters from "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control; negate that card.

Cheetah Racer Rápido

1600/1200

① When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Place 1 Speed Counter on all "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control. ② Once per turn: You can remove any number of Speed Counters from "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control; draw 1 card for every 4 Speed Counters removed by this effect.

Cheetah Racer Haraka

1200/2000

① When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Place 1 Speed Counter on all "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control. ② Once per turn: You can remove any number of Speed Counters from "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control; Special Summon "Cheetah Racer" monsters from your hand or Graveyard whose total Levels equal the number of Speed Counters removed by this effect.

Cheetah Racer Sogdo (Korean for "speed")

Level 4 | WIND | Beast-Warrior | Tuner | Effect

1500/1700

(1) When this card is Summoned: Place 1 Speed Counter on all "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control. (2) Once per turn: You can send 1 "Cheetah Racer" monster from your hand to the GY; place a number of Speed Counters equal to the sent monster's Level on "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control.

[spoiler=Spell/Trap Cards]

Cheetah Racer Speedtrack

Spell | Field

① "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control gain 400 ATK and DEF. ② Each time a "Cheetah Racer" monster is Summoned: Place 1 Speed Counter on this card. ③ Once per turn, if you would activate a card effect by removing Speed Counters from "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control, you can remove an equal number of Speed Counters from this card instead.

Cheetah Racer Acceleration

Spell | Continuous

① Each time a "Cheetah Racer" monster is Summoned, place 1 Speed Counter for each on all "Cheetah Racer" monsters you control. ② When a monster with Speed Counters leaves the field: Place Speed Counters among your "Cheetah Racer" monsters, up to the number of Speed Counters on that monster.

Cheetah Racer Recruitment

Spell | Normal

You can only use each effect of "Cheetah Racer Recruitment" once per turn. ① Special Summon 1 "Cheetah Racer" monster from your hand or Deck. ② You can banish this card from your GY; Special Summon 1 "Cheetah Racer" monster from your GY.

I will have more cards added, but likely minimalistic as they already have enough to work with in terms of Beast-Warrior support and also internal support amongst each other.

At most, maybe a Field Spell to do things. I do not plan on making any Extra Deck members at this time.

====

UPDATE LOG

- Removed the "exception" clauses.

- Lessened some of the counter costs / Sarie burn increased a bit.

- Corrected Cepat's name.

- Added Speedtrack and Champion Accel

- Modified Kosoku's effect to permit a permanent double attack.

- Added 2 new Field Spells (9/4/2017)

- Added Sogdo (9/14/2017)

====

Outside of Blur (which I named after a cheetah from a certain PBS show), the names of each member are derived from the word "fast"/"high speed" in various languages.

[spoiler=Naming]

• Kōsoku (Japanese, obviously)
  • Kuàisù (Chinese)
  • ʻĀwīwī (Hawaiian)
  • Vave (Samoan)
  • Tere (Māori)
  • Cepat (Indonesian)
  • Rápido (Spanish/Portuguese)
  • Haraka (Swahili)
  • Sarie (Arabic)

====

So basically Riding Duels (or Turbo if you watch dubs) re-imagined for the new generation in Beast-Warrior form. Yeah, it's AGM but it was something to try out.

One of the things I worried about in terms of costs was how often would one be able to use certain effects, especially coupled with stuff like Tensu and both of the SS-enablers to generate counters, plus the fact these derive from Kaiju effects to an extent in using counters from any CR monsters you have (including making Blur's full-on nuke have a high enough cost).

I originally had their on-summon effects to trigger on Flip Summons too, but nowadays, I don't think it'll really change too much. In hindsight, not too many Decks really Flip Summon nowadays, bar maybe Subterrors.

====

You know what to do at this point.

Reps will be given for proper reviews written under the AC.

It's a shame they can't put Counters on themselves while they require 4+ counters for the effect; it really cuts down their speed, leaving Blur as the main source of Generator, but as a Level9, it's impractical to Summon as of now.

I suggest to either generate more counters from their effects, or reduce or halve their counter requirements.

I like the toolbox they make:

- You can side and play with the card count of Tere and Vave depending on the format and match-up, although I would favor Tere since destroying monsters is often more punishing than destroying a Spell/Trap.

- Sarie is underwhelming as a burner, but can still be considered as a 1-of for finishing games. Rapido also looks like a 1-of.

- However, Kosoku is the last Cheetah I would play, though

- Kuaisu, Awiwi and Sepat are pretty much the staples here, while Haraka maybe a 2-of since it depends on having a target in the grave. It's nice that it can revive the boss but, by requiring 9 counters, I don't see that play happening often.

Now, this is a crazy idea but, if you truly want to go insanely fast with these, it occurred to me that you can give them a Pendulum treatment and let their effects place counters on "Speed Cheetah" cards. That way, you will be able to generate extra counters by placing them on the Pendulum Zones, where they will gain Speed Counters from Summoned Cheetahs, plus of course potentially generate a massive amount of counters by Pendulum Summoning multiples of them. Not to mention they become easier to toolbox with since they get "stored" in the Extra Deck.

Blur's actually an 8 (so a little easier), but yeah, you're basically relying on Haraka to draw out stuff for right now.

Like I mentioned in the design notes, I worried about these things being able to generate too much (at least with the supposed Field Spell I had in mind being able to generate counters for each monster you summon (maybe like Kyoutou Waterfront; either on it or generate counters every turn for the monsters you have out), and then have an effect that can let you borrow its SPC to activate effects instead of using resources from the monsters. I haven't decided on if it will have the Cheetah Racer name in there; if it does, I can modify Kuaisu to search cards, or if I'm keeping it a non-member and requiring Terraforming.

Original idea was to use half the amount they do now (so roughly 2-4 counters if I kept the exception clauses). For now, I removed the exception clauses and lessened Kosoku's SPC cost (I agree on it being a mild effect that doesn't require as much resources as the SSing/searching effects, unless I made it permanent). Blur had its requirements lessened a bit too, but still high enough that you need to work for it.

Pendulums were an idea in development though, and likely would fit here to alleviate speed issues. Could look into giving them a pair (similar to what Yosenju have in Shinchu L/R).

====

Also a note that I tried asking Nai what the correct word for "speed" or "fast" is in his language (as I did have to consult Google for it, and that tends to be inaccurate a lot), but no reply [or maybe I didn't ping him on Discord and it got lost amid the usual stuff that goes on].

====

But yeah, changes have been made [might update this later, as it is 3 am for me at the time of writing].

• 2 weeks later...

(Brief summary of the updates; you can reference this in the log)

• Added Field Spell and Champion Accel (not the best name in the world, but can't do much about it now; might change later)
  • Modified Kosoku's effect to permit permanent dual attacks.
  • Cepat's name corrected [it's actually spelled with a "C" instead of "S" like I had earlier; might've been from writing it in katakana and using the roumaji reading]; otherwise the card functions the same. 

I did entertain the idea of adding a lone Pendulum pair here, but not sure if I will add it now, considering they have a fair bit of monsters already. Not saying I won't, but need to make sure that they don't outclass the members they already got at present, considering some of them may see little to no play compared to others. (Darj already mentioned the key ones). 

An earlier draft of the Field was to let it fill any deficits in counters you might've had with Cheetah Racer monsters, as opposed to copying Endymion's "I'll pay the whole thing for you". Part of my concerns in not doing this was probably due to how quickly you can generate SPC now, but considering that they need counters, it'd probably help them if they had this version. 

====

As much as I would like to test them out to see if I need to tone them down or buff them, DP is still buggy at times and I have access issues otherwise. (YGOPro is an option, but requires more work to code them than I would like, despite having access to the intended outside supports like the Fire Formations and all)

====

Other than that, suppose this is done for the time being (or at least functional on its own). 

Archived