Samurai Jack 2017

Long ago in a distant land
I, Cartoon Network, the show-cancelling master of hiatus 
Unleashed an unspeakable evil
But a foolish samurai cartoon
Wielding an interesting plot stepped to oppose me...
WATCHA WATCHA WATCHA
Before the final season was struck
I tore open a portal in time and flung him into a hiatus, where my evil is law!
Now the fool seeks to return in 2017 and undo the hiatus that is CN!

It's been so long I'll have to go back and watch it from the beginning, but this is awesome. I wasn't expecting a time skip, this looks really cool. I wonder if the Scotsman will be in this, despite the 50 year difference.

I feel like the Scotsman died, and Jack is using his weapons.

• 1 month later...

After rewatching Seasons 1-4 and then tacking on another 50 years, I'd be shocked if Jack didn't have some form of PTSD or whatever. Man has been through a lot of BS. Enjoying this added inner turmoil psychological aspect. And judging from the episode preview, it's not going to get any better...

Yea, the PTSD stuff is a really interesting angle to go on. Sure on one hand, you don't need to rush since time travel means 1) all these people are long dead and 2) if you go back and change it how long it takes doesn't matter, but that isn't going to be something you'll think about. Since its been so long I'm really not sure if the person on the horse is someone we should know or not. Also really liked the assassin dude. Was sad to see him die. Power was interesting. Curious when Jack will get the sword back since I do remember he needs it to kill Aku.

The stuff with the girls was weird. Like, having what is clearly a couple decades pass from birth (interesting that they have us see them be born) to them going out to fight Jack is weird to have side by sided with Jack just doing his thing, unless its implying the various scenes we get from him are also jumping 7 or so years per. Again, been super long since I've watched, but I can't remember Jack killing humans (though I feel like he might have at some point), so how he handles 7 young women should be interesting. Though watching them kill the other members of the cult was something else. Honestly had a couple really powerful images in the episodes. Guess thats thanks to them airing it on Adult Swim.

Jack has killed some monsters and animals for survival, but nothing human/humanoid. At least not directly; he has done things like destroy manned vehicles, make buildings collapse, and caused explosions. It's also pretty ambiguous through the series as to what's living, what's machine, or how much of you is either.

Jack has killed some monsters and animals for survival, but nothing human/humanoid. At least not directly; he has done things like destroy manned vehicles, make buildings collapse, and caused explosions. It's also pretty ambiguous through the series as to what's living, what's machine, or how much of you is either.

Yea, thats more or less what I figured. Going to be really interesting to see how he handles the girls then.

While we're on the topic, how DOES Jack know what was mechanical and what wasn't?

I mean, I think a lot of it has to do with the creators saying "We can't make a gorey show where monsters and people are getting sliced in half and Jack is covered in blood, so let's replace blood with oil and guts with red mechanical interior and wires." Yeah a lot of enemies were obviously machines based on movement, appendages, etc, but there were legit times where I thought, "oh, that's a beastman/animal/alien", and Jack just cuts it in half and it explodes or reveals it's a machine. Sometimes there was just no real anatomical give-away; some enemies were just ambiguous. He first resorts to non-violent tactics anyway, but still, while a great idea, there's something making me conflicted about this pro-living approach they're doing with Jack...

The main reason they used robots was because of censorship issue. Jack can cut downs countless machines that bleed black, but have a drop of red blood and thats when ratings boards are like "nope". Pretty sure when Jack would get injured he would have red marks, but wouldn't actually bleed. This does have interesting dynamics in universe since how Jack will handle actual human opponents remains to be seen since I don't think Jack would want to kill them but with how much time has passed and the fact that the girls are all masked and he can easily mistake them for a machine is makes how they do the next episode very up in the air.

Finally went and watched the first two episodes, so funking good. I forgot how much I missed the show's style, it still looks fantastic.

[spoiler=episode 2]I liked the tone of the second episode a lot, in particular. The use of the loud music in the tomb room was really well done. EDIT: I thought I recognized it, it's a reimagining of the Ecstacy of Gold! Fantastic.

Didn't expect him to already kill one of the girls, and it's actually been confirmed that this is Jack's first human kill. Interesting to see how this will affect him going forward, on top of all the PTSD.

Aku's new voice sounds good. Got no complaints. His current attitude is actually just what I was expecting, too, I figured after so long he'd become disenfranchised with killing Jack. Nice bit of comedy from him, as well. I'm glad they kept his humor from the previous seasons, sometimes I forget he was actually quite goofy a lot of the time.

Also, gotta say, Aku seems a lot more mentally stable than Jack. But I guess when your self-therapist is actually helpful instead of telling you to commit sudoku like Jack's, that'll happen. Something tells me Jack's self-therapist doesn't have a degree.

• 1 month later...

[spoiler=Latest ep]

So Jack and Ashi got together. Can't say I didn't think it would happen, I just expected it to happen more much slowly, you know, with more depth? Even though she's already trained, something like a Mentor-Student role first. Like taming her inner anger or something, I dunno. Things I don't want to see are weird arguments over stupid stuff, or whacky sitcom-esque shenanigans; basically relationship drama to a minimum. There's also the question of what this means for them. If Jack does go home, is she coming with him? If he goes home, will he age normally and die to leave her alone? Is this a death-flag for Ashi? Will undoing Aku's evil mean she stops existing? Many questions.

What's really appalling is the community's response to this. Some people are upset at the age difference and how Jack is "old" Ashi is depicted as teens(more than likely late-teens) to early 20's. Even going as far as calling it pedophelia and petitioning it off of television. Others (actually just tumblr), are upset that another heterosexual couple is on tv, and not something lgbt. I only bring up the latter, because of the multitude of actual discussions there are about it. Stupid doesn't even begin to define what both of these things are.

Garbage aside, I found the camel-transport scene very entertaining.

[spoiler=Latest ep]

So Jack and Ashi got together. Can't say I didn't think it would happen, I just expected it to happen more much slowly, you know, with more depth? Even though she's already trained, something like a Mentor-Student role first. Like taming her inner anger or something, I dunno. Things I don't want to see are weird arguments over stupid stuff, or whacky sitcom-esque shenanigans; basically relationship drama to a minimum. There's also the question of what this means for them. If Jack does go home, is she coming with him? If he goes home, will he age normally and die to leave her alone? Is this a death-flag for Ashi? Will undoing Aku's evil mean she stops existing? Many questions.

What's really appalling is the community's response to this. Some people are upset at the age difference and how Jack is "old" Ashi is depicted as teens(more than likely late-teens) to early 20's. Even going as far as calling it pedophelia and petitioning it off of television. Others (actually just tumblr), are upset that another heterosexual couple is on tv, and not something lgbt. I only bring up the latter, because of the multitude of actual discussions there are about it. Stupid doesn't even begin to define what both of these things are.

Garbage aside, I found the camel-transport scene very entertaining.

[spoiler=New Ep]

TBQH I'm not a fan of the ship, which is weird because I enjoy shipping and I'm pretty sure I wasn't bothered by the idea of it last week. I don't know, it feels kind of forced and I don't think the series needs something like this. That being said I'm pretty sure Ashi is an adult and while the age gap thing might be weird, Jack is frozen in time and likely only biologically a fews years older. The disappointment that this is hetero just dumb though.

Over all not sure how I feel about this episode. I don't like the relationship, the leech monster wasn't that cool, and in terms of the overall story nothing really moved forward. The last issue is the smallest since Jack was never SUPER narratively driven, but the reboot was doing things very differently so the first break episode is going to feel a little weird. Its going to take another episode or two to really get a feel for this most likely.

Question about Aku. Is he a reality warper or just a magic user/shapeshifter?

Just the latter.

He has a large multitude of magic abilities that would make any DnD Player slap their DM (Shapeshifting, Elemental Control, Necromancy, Telekinesis, Regeneration, Possession, etc). He can even fight Jack in terms of swordsmanship, but his 2 most outlandish abilities are Space and Time Travel.

He can create portals in time and probably travel to anywhere in space on his own, but he can't warp reality as he wishes. I know he's suppose to be "evil personified", but he seems more like a weird Japanese Elder God.

Archived