Paedophilia a 'sexual orientation - like being straight or gay'

Ryusei the Morning Star

The hostility being displayed here has no place in a proper discussion, and it is in fact blinding you from actually paying attention to what we are saying.

Acting upon pedophilic urges is wrong. Having them is not. Resisting them is necessary, but understandably depressive, and thus it is possible to be sympathetic.

These are our arguments. No one is advocating for acting pedophiles to be sympathized with or tolerated. So you can relax a bit, and discuss with us our actual position, or you can continue this irrational and blinding aggression, in which case at the very least I will leave, as I have no interest in being yelled at for being logical. Perhaps I could point you to the workshop in my signature? Specifically the "Avoiding the Question" bullet.

First of all, it's worth noting that being attracted to 17 year old jail-bate is not paedophilia.  That's fairly normal, it's just illegal and not worth.

Being attracted is children is not normal, and is a sign of some kind of problem, whether developmental or genetic.  Having those urges does not necessarily make you a bad person, but acting upon them absolutely does.  I feel like we should have mental help for people like that so they can come forward without being labeled as monsters.

I don't know how many actually would, or if I even really care, but that's my two cents.

Also guys let's not bring anime bullshit into this.  Weebs who jerk it to cartoons are (in my understanding) not the same people who actually go after little kids, as that usually involves leaving your house.  It's not healthy or good, but it's not where most of our actual problems are.

Calling something unrelated to gender a sexual orientation is weird to me. It seems more like a fetish.

It's certainly better to try to understand pedophiles and attempt to "fix" them instead of immediately decrying them as awful horrible monsters unworthy of even the slightest consideration.

It's important to understand that trying to explain the nature behind something is different from trying to sympathize with it.

Children aren't a gender. LGB attraction is based exclusively on gender.

This (the above 2 posts) are exactly what I was trying to say when I said;

I honestly see no reason to believe that this (the proposition of pedophilia being an orientation) makes any sense whatsoever.

I just don't see why lawmakers and/or Congress have addressed this problem yet. (If they have let me know, I don't spend my whole day watching C-Span or something)

Just saying, Polaris, just because your own orientation is by choice doesn't mean that is the case for everyone. If it were, gay rights wouldn't have been as big a deal as they were.

So be it. 

People have a lot to gain by pretending they had no choice in the matter and convincing themselves as much, just as I believe pedophiles have a lot to gain by pretending they had no choice in the matter. For me, homosexuality was very clearly a choice, so at the very least I'm living proof that not all homosexuals were necessarily born that way. This begs the question, how many were, if any? 

The hostility being displayed here has no place in a proper discussion, and it is in fact blinding you from actually paying attention to what we are saying.

I know full well what you're saying and what you're not. My problem is that you're acknowledging this theory that pedophiles are victims of circumstances beyond their control as fact. Pedophiles are not helpless victims, they indulge in fantasies of sexualizing prepubescent children and do what they do precisely because they feel secure enough and powerful enough to get away with it. 

Also guys let's not bring anime bullshit into this.  Weebs who jerk it to cartoons are (in my understanding) not the same people who actually go after little kids, as that usually involves leaving your house.  It's not healthy or good, but it's not where most of our actual problems are.

Those who masturbate to depictions of prepubescent children being raped can't be expected to acknowledge child rape for the malicious crime that it is. What happens when people who tolerate, harbour and indulge such fantasies in their mind discover a child prostitution ring? Do they risk their lives to bring it to light and end it, or do they quietly join in? 

Those who masturbate to depictions of prepubescent children being raped can't be expected to acknowledge child rape for the malicious crime that it is. What happens when people who tolerate, harbour and indulge such fantasies in their mind discover a child prostitution ring? Do they risk their lives to bring it to light and end it, or do they quietly join in? 

Fair point.  I just think the anime sheet is a separate problem entirely, different causes and sheet.  

I know full well what you're saying and what you're not. My problem is that you're acknowledging this theory that pedophiles are victims of circumstances beyond their control as fact. Pedophiles are not helpless victims, they indulge in fantasies of sexualizing prepubescent children and do what they do precisely because they feel secure enough and powerful enough to get away with it.

You say that, but you proceed to make it evident that you do not know what I am and am not saying. But, thats ok, for perhaps I haven't been effective in sufficiently elaborating my position and for that I apologize.

For what it's worth, I should not have made my sympathetic remark. It was not a logical statement and did not contribute to making my points, and thus created false impressions, so once again I apologize.

I think perhaps I should abstain from the remainder of this debate, and not only update my workshop but take a page from it myself, as well.

Archived