YCM's "GCM" Project: a remake

Darj

GCM stands for "Group Card Making"
About 5 years ago a YCM user started a community project in which a "blank", or "skeleton", card (personally, I prefer to call them as blank cards) was posted, displaying only the card type (Monster, Spell, Trap) and the artwork, and then any user was free to join and suggest, comment and discuss on possible effects until an agreement from all the participants was reached.
As an attempt for increasing activity in the Custom Cards section, I'm giving a try to starting a second iteration of to this project.

To allow for more flexibility, the card's subtypes (for monsters: Synchro, Fusion, Xyz, Pendulum, etc.; Spell/Traps: Continuous, Quick-Play, etc.) will also be up to discussion. Monster's Attributes and Level/Rank are up to discussion and subject to change as well.

Users are allowed to bring blank cards on their own to the table, but to test the waters I will only allow only for 3 blanks cards to be up to discussion at the time. Also, each user can only have 1 blank card of theirs in the pool at any time.

Link to original thread (notice: most of the images are dead now): https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/290891-the-ycm-gcm-project/
- Credit to Strider (better known as Chance back then) for the idea, even if he is no longer around.

Without further ado, let's begin and see how it goes. I will start with the following blank card:

[spoiler=Housemaster of the Resurrected]EVEvnqE.jpg
Housemaster of the Resurrected
Attribute: DARK
Type: Spellcaster/Effect
Level: 4
ATK: 1800
DEF: 0
When this card is Normal Summoned: Target up to 4 of your banished Zombie-Type monsters; return 1 of them to the Graveyard, also shuffle the rest into the Deck, and after that, draw 1 card for each card shuffled into the Deck by this card's effect -2.

[spoiler=Ocean Melody]Sl5V86L.png
Ocean Melody
Attribute: WATER
Type: Sea Serpent/Synchro/Effect
ATK: 400
DEF: 2500
1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can discard 1 WATER monster, then target 1 face-up card on the field; its effects are negated until the end of this turn. If this card is destroyed by battle(?), or if this card in your possession is destroyed by an opponent's card effect: You can Special Summon 1 Sea Serpent-Type monster from your Extra Deck?

[spoiler=Chronormal Summon]

IepHlxb.png

Chronormal Summon

Spell Card

Type: Quick-Play

Banish from your Deck 1 monster that can be Normal Summoned/Set. During the Standby Phase of the Nth turn after this effect's activation, Special Summon that monster. (N = number of Tributes required for the Normal Summon of that monster + 1). During either player's turn, except the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard, when an effect is activated: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; that effect will apply at the End Phase of this turn.

[spoiler=Blank #4]rGJoXcj.jpg

[spoiler=Blank #5:]

oqFXyPC.png

[spoiler=Blank #6]

Slot is available. Submit a card!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a thing. The Level is flexible, I only made it 3 because Burning Abyss plays.

Sendai, Dragon Daemon Kin

Level 3 DARK Fiend-Type Effect Tuner Monster

This card is also always treated as a Dragon-Type Monster. This effect cannot be negated. You may only use one of the following effects of "Sendai, Daemon Dragon Kin" per turn.

When this card is sent to the Graveyard, except from the Field: You may Banish one DARK Monster from your Deck; Special Summon it at the End Phase of the third turn from this card's activation.

When this card is Special Summoned from the Banished cards: You may Special Summon one DARK Dragon- or Fiend-Type Monster from your Deck with a Level of 6 or lower, but you cannot conduct your Battle Phase during the same turn.

if anything..the art also implying this card to be Spellcaster or Zombie-type since the depiction is leaning towards Necromancers

DARK is nice attribute in correlation of either Zombie or Spellcaster. well the attribute also well supported

for stat i personally giving it 1300 / 0. for search-ability and recovery. that, also since this monster is on lower-level class on monster the stat wouldn't matter much if you use it for setup piece especially fooder. there also symbolic meaning to it 13 on 1300 for being omen related (we already jumble in a DARK necromancer) the 0 DEF is to symbolize this person already trade his life for ruling over of death

personally i cater more for this card to support Zombie...so aside Zombie-Typing we could design an effect that support zombie, probs in a new way...since grave support, and omni-tuner is already viable....

the craziest proposal of mine is making it Pendulum to accompany the lonely PM Captor...but since Pendulum is not that splashable on non-pendulum decks we can skip it

for now i have this long-nurtured bias that all deck must have from of recycle or advantage refreshing effect...ready for mid-or long end game (and yes. im one of those people who like slower games that i can savor its player interaction,combo, and excitement longer...OTK/FTK is out of question). i kinda have this idea that this monster to be a specialize version of Doomsday Horror for Zombie. which can done a lot for zombie like ATK boost in Wights, effect refresh for Shiranuis, and so forth

When this Summoned: Return up to 5 Banished Zombie-Type Monster to your Graveyard. then additionally, if this is Normal Summoned you can add 1 Zombie-type monster from your graveyard to your hand with the same Level as monster with the lowest level returned to graveyard by this effect other than "this card name" or with the same name as that returned monster .

Yeah, I also lean towards the card being an Spellcaster that supports Zombies, judging from the artwork. The other suggestion, making it a Fiend-Dragon, plus support for those types, doesn't really fit it, IMO.

The "if send to grave: banish a DARK and summon it later" effect, well, it's too slow when it takes 3 turns, but then it could be problematic if it was any faster.

Not really convinced by the "Summon a Fiend or Dragon from deck" effect, BUT could be used for summoning a Zombie instead after reworking the card into Zombie support.

Regarding the "Doomsday Horror" effect, IDK, putting back into the grave Mezukis, Shiranuis, and other Zombie toys could be... abusable, I guess? But I'm no expert with Zombies so I can't truly tell how good such effect would be. How about returning them into the Deck instead and then drawing a card, or summoning a Zombie depending on the cards you shuffled back into the deck? Could be Level = to the # of spun Zombies, as a variant of Miscellaneousaurus, or as it was suggested, a Zombie from the grave with the same Level as the Zombie with the lowest Level that was spun into the deck.

First, I think I like the other suggestion better than mine, though I can't stand your sentence structure and punctuation, Jolly Glot, but I'm going to explain the reasoning behind my choice anyways.

I added the Deck Summon and the Fiend Typing because as I mentioned I was using it for Burning Abyss ideas - Graff got Limited for a reason, and I doubt it was just to sell newer product. The Dragon Typing came from the dead dragon behind him and the dragon skull on his head and could honestly be skipped. The third turn from the card's activation is the End Phase of your next turn in case anyone was wondering - End Phase of the turn you trigger(1), Opponent's End Phase(2), your next End Phase(3). The idea was you send him to Grave with Fiendish Rhino Warrior, use his effect to Banish another copy of himself from the Deck, End Phase of your next turn Summon him and use his effect to pull out another card, such as Graff/Cir.

So that's that. Again, I like the other idea better, but I figured we all might as well follow up with the example of adding the reasoning behind our choices.

Also, if I have a blank card but can't upload it to an image site like Imgur, can I send it to someone on here and have them do it? I wanted to add a card and see what people came up with, but I don't have access to most image-sharing sites and can't upload crap.

Oh, sure.

So, to pick this up, we agree it's better as a DARK Spellcaster, but what about the desired approach for the monster's effect? Personally, got a bit stuck here since I don't know how Zombies play nowadays. I guess they would like a Burial from D.D. effect, but not triggered when the monster is Summoned on any form, so I would restrict to the monster being Normal Summoned; it being a Spellcaster contributes to keeping it on check (e.g. no summoning it through Mezuki to recycle the banished Zombies into the grave) But then, it may not desirable at all except as an awkward "Royal Firestorm Guards" for Zombies. Hmm.. how about complementing it with a card draw? That way it will be a slow but rewarding walking Burial from D.D., with some searchability bonuses as a monster.

Hm...I almost want to add something with Spell Counters, but I just like Spell Counters so I'm not certain that's me trying to balance it or me trying to just add Spell Counters for the sake of Spell Counters. Card draw sounds good, the only alternative option I can think of to make it worth playing is to add some sort of effect that mills Zombies from your Deck. If you ran up an effect that milled a Zombie from your Deck on a specific type of Summon(say if it was summoned by a Zombie's effect) and counted it as being sent by your opponent, it could double well with Despair from the Dark, or, well, I guess Zombies like being sent to the Grave anyways because I'm fairly certain that's where most of their plays come from, or you could send a Shiranui then find a way to Banish it, which wouldn't be hard, plus the card would then also improve consistency without necessarily drawing cards.

Also going to re-ask my question from my last post.

currently im still trying to compose some batches of effects...but for now, im gonna drop by and ask this:

in regard of new rules and link summoning...can we do it? or at least design to work along? or you gonna be as harsh as other group post for sticking to arc-v mindset for a while?

in regard of new rules and link summoning...can we do it? or at least design to work along? or you gonna be as harsh as other group post for sticking to arc-v mindset for a while?

Yeah, we should design along Link Monster and new rules now; they will become the norm, after all.

Also we can suggest Link Monsters for blanks too, but keep in mind they can't be too strong and instead should be developed as the official Link Monsters grow. In other words, embrace the mechanic, rather than trying to compensate the new restrictions on Extra Deck summoning through overly strong and/or convenient Link Monsters (3 markers to your side, too high ATK, etc.).

EDIT:

Changed my mind: No Link monsters as Blanks at least until they are officially released.

so i have several batches:

1) When this card is Normal Summoned: Target 3 banished Zombie-Type monsters; shuffle all 3 into the Deck, then draw 1 card. You can only activate this effect of  "this card" once per turn.

yeah a monster version of Burial from D.D + Draw which end up as walking Pot of Acquisitiveness

2) When this card is Normal Summoned: Target up to 4 banished Zombie-Type monsters; shuffle any number of them  into the Deck (Min 1), and then return the rest to your Graveyard (if any), and after that Draw 1 card for each number of card Shuffled by this card effect -2.

a slight variation that added with the initial Doomsday Horror effects

Users are allowed to bring blank cards on their own to the table, but to test the waters I will only allow only for 3 blanks cards to be up to discussion at the time. Also, each user can only have 1 blank card of theirs in the pool at any time.

So could I bring this card here:

Ri5zjVu.png

To allow for more flexibility, the card's subtypes (for monsters: Synchro, Fusion, Xyz, Pendulum, etc.; Spell/Traps: Continuous, Quick-Play, etc.) will also be up to discussion. Monster's Attributes and Level/Rank are up to discussion and subject to change as well.

Would Link cards also be okay, or would that be too soon to add here?

Yes, that's fine, Nyx. Will add it to the OP, sometime, can't guarantee will do it at the time I post this.

And... Links, huh. Now that you mention it, IDK, since they are just being released and we have no idea how they will play out beyond theory so... better hold on them until we actually experience how the post-Link format plays out.

Ooh, is that Miku I spy for that card art, Nyx? *Thumbs up*

Hm…looking like Atlantean/Mermail support, but I'd rather make her do something with Ocean Dragon Lord Neo-Daedalus - perhaps some way to cheat his summoning condition…of course, Atlantean/Mermail is something too. Tentative name suggestion to start things off while I work on thinking up a possible effect: Voice of the Sea(this is assuming we don't just make her an Atlantean/Mermail card and let her be somewhat generic instead of Archetype-Specific, of course)

so i have several batches:

1) When this card is Normal Summoned: Target 3 banished Zombie-Type monsters; shuffle all 3 into the Deck, then draw 1 card. You can only activate this effect of  "this card" once per turn.

yeah a monster version of Burial from D.D + Draw which end up as walking Pot of Acquisitiveness

2) When this card is Normal Summoned: Target up to 4 banished Zombie-Type monsters; shuffle any number of them  into the Deck (Min 1), and then return the rest to your Graveyard (if any), and after that Draw 1 card for each number of card Shuffled by this card effect -2.

a slight variation that added with the initial Doomsday Horror effects

I like effect #2 for the originality, since #1 is... yeah, a walking Pot of Acquisitiveness. But, for 2 I would reverse the conditions: max of 1 into the grave, if any, so you can re-use a Mezuki or re-banish a Shiranui or whatever, and the rest shuffled into the Main Deck then get the card draw depending on how many you shuffled back -2. That way, you can opt for shuffling them all to draw 2, but you lose on Zombie reuse, without being able to go overboard by reusing multiple Mezuki, Shiranui, etc.

For Blank #2:

This is personal preference speaking, but really would like for it to remain as Level4 to enable Bahamut Shark xD

Currently the only option is Crystron Quandax, but it doesn't have a stand-alone effect to take advantage from. I do like the idea of flavor-wise relating it to Daedalus, or even Gishilnodon, rather than gravitating to Atlantean/Mermail support, although a Discard: [effect] wouldn't hurt either to make those Atlanteans on hand live.

How about starting with making it float into Daedalus/Gishilnodon if it is destroyed by the opponent? as a safety net, so to speak. Then, for the card to stand alone... still thinking about it because as a Synchro4 is competing with Hastorr and Arc Light, and both are quite good so the standard is high. Maybe some sort of negation effect? Was thinking a quick effect "Discard: negate effect of face-up card until end of turn", but then without Atlanteans to offset the cost it will start eating your resources, although negating effects D/D/D Siegfried-style is not something to be taken lightly either. But still, lock effects are sometimes frowned upon, annoying and kinda overused by now. Besides, with such effect you may as well keep it instead of going for Bahamut Shark.

refine the 2nd effect for (hopefully) finalization:

(tentative) Necromanic Pathologist

DARK / Level 4* / Spellcaster / Effect

When this card is Normal Summoned: Target up to 4 of your banished Zombie-Type monsters; Return 1 of them into the Graveyard and then Shuffle the rest to your Deck, and after that Draw 1 card for each number of card Shuffled by this card effect -2.

ATK 1300 / DEF 0

*(i actually forgot about its Level...so i give it Level 4 for 2 reason: 1. 4 in many culture is number of death, 2. well low enough to make this card practical)

for Blank 2. yeah i also agree that we should not support more of the Mermails nor Atlanteans. at first i want to suggest it being support for another WATER Archetype or like what i done to Blank 1 a generic support for untouched niche...but making it specially support Daedalus Series is intriguing idea....

Oh, right.

Yeah, I'm fine with that effect on Blank1: Level4 sounds about right, 0 DEF for Recurring Nightmare plays. But I'm not quite convinced about the ATK or the name. For ATK, was thinking something close to 1600~1700 to compensate for the lack of type synergy and the effect being bound to Normal Summons. And the name... well, I don't really get why it's a pathologist when the artwork doesn't have any scholarly vibe, IMO.

For Blank2, I'm waiting for more ideas but in the meantime I will put in card text formatting my ideas:

Ocean Melody [or some other name based on music or singer, as a reference to Deepsea Diva and Miku xD]

Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can discard 1 WATER monster, then target 1 face-up card on the field; its effects are negated until the end of this turn. If this card is destroyed by battle, or if this card in your possession is destroyed by an opponent's card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Codarus" or "Levia Dragon - Daedalus" from your Deck.

Oh, right.

Yeah, I'm fine with that effect on Blank1: Level4 sounds about right, 0 DEF for Recurring Nightmare plays. But I'm not quite convinced about the ATK or the name. For ATK, was thinking something close to 1600~1700 to compensate for the lack of type synergy and the effect being bound to Normal Summons. And the name... well, I don't really get why it's a pathologist when the artwork doesn't have any scholarly vibe, IMO.

For Blank2, I'm waiting for more ideas but in the meantime I will put in card text formatting my ideas:

Ocean Melody [or some other name based on music or singer, as a reference to Deepsea Diva and Miku xD]

Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can discard 1 WATER monster, then target 1 face-up card on the field; its effects are negated until the end of this turn. If this card is destroyed by battle, or if this card in your possession is destroyed by an opponent's card effect: You can Special Summon 1 "Codarus" or "Levia Dragon - Daedalus" from your Deck.

I'm alright with both of these, especially with Ocean Melody being able to trigger Mermail and Atlantean monsters. However, why does it Summon Codarus or Levia Dragon - Daedalus?

And if the effect is to stay, I'd like to extend it to being able to Special Summon from the hand, too.

I somewhat like this but you need to keep the OP filled with developments relevant to each card.

Oh, right.

Oceania Soperana (to reference "Oceanic Operetta"/Primarina as well as the mentioned card and Hatsune Miku)
Type: Fairy/Synchro/Effect
DEF: 3000
Is also treated as a Fish and Sea Serpent-type Monster. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can discard 1 kind of monster, then target 1 face-up card on the field; its effects are negated until the end of this turn. If this card in your possession is removed from the field by an opponent's card effect except by battle: You can Special Summon 1 "some LIGHT monster" or "some WATER monster" from your Deck.

Reason for the change is that if you're gonna reference a bunch of music themed things, then "exiting stage left" doesn't care about how. The increased DEF would because removal is so prevalent, force your opponent to act on it and thus giving you the benefit you're looking for. But it still relies on your opponent to do anything.

Admittedly the type increase seems arbitrary but I can think of a few advantages to having it more than one type while keeping to its theme. But... brainstorming.

I'm alright with both of these, especially with Ocean Melody being able to trigger Mermail and Atlantean monsters. However, why does it Summon Codarus or Levia Dragon - Daedalus?

And if the effect is to stay, I'd like to extend it to being able to Special Summon from the hand, too.

It was for the idea of supporting Daedalus, and felt that also searching for Codarus gave it a nice touch, plus to keep on the Rank4 plays. But it feels unwieldy IMO. Another idea I had was to Summon a Sea Serpent from the Extra Deck, including amusing targets like Gishilnodon and errata'd Brionac; thought about making it attach itself to a summoned Sea Serpent Xyz too, to make use of Tri Edge Levia, but then it could derail into Bahamut Shark --> Toadally... unless it's restricted to Rank3 or lower Sea Serpents. Want to read your thoughts on this.

I somewhat like this but you need to keep the OP filled with developments relevant to each card.

Oceania Soperana (to reference "Oceanic Operetta"/Primarina as well as the mentioned card and Hatsune Miku)
Type: Fairy/Synchro/Effect
DEF: 3000
Is also treated as a Fish and Sea Serpent-type Monster. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can discard 1 kind of monster, then target 1 face-up card on the field; its effects are negated until the end of this turn. If this card in your possession is removed from the field by an opponent's card effect except by battle: You can Special Summon 1 "some LIGHT monster" or "some WATER monster" from your Deck.

Reason for the change is that if you're gonna reference a bunch of music themed things, then "exiting stage left" doesn't care about how. The increased DEF would because removal is so prevalent, force your opponent to act on it and thus giving you the benefit you're looking for. But it still relies on your opponent to do anything.

Admittedly the type increase seems arbitrary but I can think of a few advantages to having it more than one type while keeping to its theme. But... brainstorming.

I can update Blank #1 yeah, but Nyx has to update his Blank so I can put in the OP.

And those changes are really pushing it, IMO. 3 types feels like a lot when cards at most have 2, I don't really get why the need to cross support with LIGHTs, and I actually had to look up for Oceanic Operetta/Primarina to get what you meant with that; appears to be the Pokemon so... yeah, feels like trying too hard with the nods/references there.

Also keep in mind it's a generic Level4 Synchro, so 3000 DEF may be too high; I would rather keep the lower DEF, maybe raise it to 2600~2700, but along the float trigger on battle removal.

It was for the idea of supporting Daedalus, and felt that also searching for Codarus gave it a nice touch, plus to keep on the Rank4 plays. But it feels unwieldy IMO. Another idea I had was to Summon a Sea Serpent from the Extra Deck, including amusing targets like Gishilnodon and errata'd Brionac; thought about making it attach itself to a summoned Sea Serpent Xyz too, to make use of Tri Edge Levia, but then it could derail into Bahamut Shark --> Toadally... unless it's restricted to Rank3 or lower Sea Serpents. Want to read your thoughts on this.

I can update Blank #1 yeah, but Nyx has to update his Blank so I can put in the OP.

And those changes are really pushing it, IMO. 3 types feels like a lot when cards at most have 2, I don't really get why the need to cross support with LIGHTs, and I actually had to look up for Oceanic Operetta/Primarina to get what you meant with that; appears to be the Pokemon so... yeah, feels like trying too hard with the nods/references there.

Also keep in mind it's a generic Level4 Synchro, so 3000 DEF may be too high; I would rather keep the lower DEF, maybe raise it to 2600~2700, but along the float trigger on battle removal.

Or how about allowing it to Special Summon any Sea Serpent-Type from your Deck, rather than just strictly those two?

It was for the idea of supporting Daedalus, and felt that also searching for Codarus gave it a nice touch, plus to keep on the Rank4 plays. But it feels unwieldy IMO. Another idea I had was to Summon a Sea Serpent from the Extra Deck, including amusing targets like Gishilnodon and errata'd Brionac; thought abut making it attach itself to a summoned Sea Serpent Xyz too, to make use of Tri Edge Levia, but then it could derail into Bahamut Shark --> Toadally... unless it's restricted to Rank3 or lower Sea Serpents. Want to read your thoughts on this.

For the name thing, I do not believe I am. Soprano is the lead female opera singer. Its just another word for what you already have. And yea, I'll agree the three types are overkill, Fairy/LIGHT is purely... the reference squeeze. I'll cave to that. 

But I do believe it should have that "Exit Stage left" thing for the effect trigger with the higher than average DEF. Keep the grabbing specific cards maybe, let it change actors in the middle of its performance. Losing by battle would be being "booed" off the stage ending the performance. Thats hardly a squeeze for a reference or 3. 

Or how about allowing it to Special Summon any Sea Serpent-Type from your Deck, rather than just strictly those two?

To be honest, I want to avoid that route and instead spice up the card with a more creative or less common effect, like Summoning from the Extra Deck, CyDra Nova-style, or an effect dedicated more to Daedalus family. But, if more users prefer that way and to keep it simple, then yeah, we can go for that.

Archived