YCM's "GCM" Project: a remake

Darj

To be honest, I want to avoid that route and instead spice up the card with a more creative or less common effect, like Summoning from the Extra Deck, CyDra Nova-style, or an effect dedicated more to Daedalus family. But, if more users prefer that way and to keep it simple, then yeah, we can go for that.

I guess, but aren't there arguably more powerful cards it'd be able to bring out from the Extra Deck?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess, but aren't there arguably more powerful cards it'd be able to bring out from the Extra Deck?

With Link Summons being a thing now, you'd those extra deck slots would be even tighter (thats what she said). Would you even want to grab from there?

For the name thing, I do not believe I am. Soprano is the lead female opera singer. Its just another word for what you already have. And yea, I'll agree the three types are overkill, Fairy/LIGHT is purely... the reference squeeze. I'll cave to that. 

But I do believe it should have that "Exit Stage left" thing for the effect trigger with the higher than average DEF. Keep the grabbing specific cards maybe, let it change actors in the middle of its performance. Losing by battle would be being "booed" off the stage ending the performance. Thats hardly a squeeze for a reference or 3. 

Yeah, name was alright; I referred mainly to the effects.

And yeah, you got something there. I assumed that floating upon battle destruction would also fall on this "Exit Stage Left" thing that I don't really get what is a reference about, but what you explained makes sense, too; plus it gives the card a vulnerability the opponent can tackle.

Still... naturally, I'm still biased towards my suggestion, so I'm curious to read the thoughts of other users on these alternatives.

With Link Summons being a thing now, you'd those extra deck slots would be even tighter (thats what she said). Would you even want to grab from there?

I've brought up Link monsters before, and:

Yes, that's fine, Nyx. Will add it to the OP, sometime, can't guarantee will do it at the time I post this.

And... Links, huh. Now that you mention it, IDK, since they are just being released and we have no idea how they will play out beyond theory so... better hold on them until we actually experience how the post-Link format plays out.

So far, there isn't, but I agree the approach is a bit questionable because lack of futureproofing and whatnot, since it's bound to get better if/when more good Sea Serpents are released.

Oh, right, Link Summons. You know, if Sea Serpents Link monsters are made, this could access them, too. Sounds neat to me, actually.

By the way, Nyx, it appears I wasn't really clear on that statement:

I meant we should refrain from making Link Monsters in the meantime since beyond theory we actually don't know how they will play out, but it's fine to take Link mechanics into consideration when discussing cards and effects, since those rules will be applied in the game eventually anyway.

So far, there isn't, but I agree the approach is a bit questionable because lack of futureproofing and whatnot, since it's bound to get better if/when more good Sea Serpents are released.

Oh, right, Link Summons. You know, if Sea Serpents Link monsters are made, this could access them, too. Sounds neat to me, actually.

By the way, Nyx, it appears I wasn't really clear on that statement:

I meant we should refrain from making Link Monsters in the meantime since beyond theory we actually don't know how they will play out, but it's fine to take Link mechanics into consideration when discussing cards and effects, since those rules will be applied in the game eventually anyway.

That's fine I guess. In the end, I just don't want its effect to have such specific targets (such as the aforementioned Codarus).

Soothsayer of Ocean's Lords

WATER / Level (tentative)  / Sea Serpent / Synchro / Tuner / Effects

While this card is face-up on the field or in your Graveyard: Twice per turn, WATER monster(s) on the field whose Original (printed) Level is is 5 or Higher cannot be destroyed by Battle or by its Controller opponent's Card effect. You can Shuffle up to 4 "Umi" and/or cards that specifically list "Umi" in its card text in either player Graveyard: Players whose his/her card is Shuffled can Draw 1 card.

ATK (tentative) / DEF (tentative)

my 1st entry for blank 2

Holy crap, I leave for like a day and this thread inexplicably explodes. Should I be offended?

Anyways, I'm the reason for the mysterious Daedalus support because I felt Neo-Daedalus should be able to be Summoned ignoring the Condition, so I suggested it and people liked the idea because #supportoldcards, but eh, maybe a bit more generic with a slight nod to Daedalus would be better. Perhaps make the Special Summon be a Sea-Serpent that has to be either Level 7 or 8 but ignores Summoning Conditions? This gives it only 10 cards to Support according to my app - both Daedalus and Neo-Daedalus, Lightray Daedalus, Mermail Abyssleed, Mermail Abyssmegalo, Moulinglacia the Elemental Lord, Poseidra, the Atlantean Dragon, Spiral Serpent, Water Dragon(who could use some love), and something called Kaiser Sea Snake.

Holy crap, I leave for like a day and this thread inexplicably explodes. Should I be offended?

Anyways, I'm the reason for the mysterious Daedalus support because I felt Neo-Daedalus should be able to be Summoned ignoring the Condition, so I suggested it and people liked the idea because #supportoldcards, but eh, maybe a bit more generic with a slight nod to Daedalus would be better. Perhaps make the Special Summon be a Sea-Serpent that has to be either Level 7 or 8 but ignores Summoning Conditions? This gives it only 10 cards to Support according to my app - both Daedalus and Neo-Daedalus, Lightray Daedalus, Mermail Abyssleed, Mermail Abyssmegalo, Moulinglacia the Elemental Lord, Poseidra, the Atlantean Dragon, Spiral Serpent, Water Dragon(who could use some love), and something called Kaiser Sea Snake.

The Daedalus monsters don't seem like much of an issue to me, especially since you need Umi to activate their effects. What may be a problem is Moulinglacia. With that in mind, I think I'd prefer it to not be "ignoring its Summoning conditions" or male it Summon from the Extra Deck instead.

Yeah, I would rather not take the route of summoning Neo-Daedalus or Mounlinglacia ignoring their Summoning conditions.

Soothsayer of Ocean's Lords

WATER / Level (tentative)  / Sea Serpent / Synchro / Tuner / Effects

While this card is face-up on the field or in your Graveyard: Twice per turn, WATER monster(s) on the field whose Original (printed) Level is is 5 or Higher cannot be destroyed by Battle or by its Controller opponent's Card effect. You can Shuffle up to 4 "Umi" and/or cards that specifically list "Umi" in its card text in either player Graveyard: Players whose his/her card is Shuffled can Draw 1 card.

ATK (tentative) / DEF (tentative)

my 1st entry for blank 2

I like this card's first effect, to be honest. It strays away from the stun side my first suggestion has. I would prefer it over the "discard 1 WATER; negate" effect since it can be a bit too good considering it is a D/D/D Siegfried that breaks even when discarding an Atlantean, and it encourages to use the card for a Xyz or Synchro Summon, instead of keeping it on the field.

But the second effect... IDK, it is creative on the use of cards with "Umi" in their card texts, but feels like Blank #1's recycling effect, and I would prefer to play around with more concepts.

yeah i admit that 2nd effect is me running out of ideas

but i kinda still insisting on supporting "Umi" and cards that specify "Umi" but due to me being busy i haven't found 1 nor 2nd batch for Blank 2

oh yes i forgot my reasoning over the effects:

1st effect is obviously cater towards Daedalus...seeing that those cards ans several non-Xyz WATER boss monster do not have any protection nor effects that lethal enough to be justified for lacking one. it being applied while in grave is for  its interaction with double-edge removal of daedalus

probs in next update in addition to replacement of second effect im gonna change the protection effect range to only LV 6 or higher

So, have we reached a compromise or majority for Blank #2? I can already see Blank #1 bears a name, stats, and effect, but I don't recall us reaching an agreement for Blank #2.

We have yet to reach an agreement, and we still have like 3 different takes on the card. Would be nice if we all voted on which effects and traits to keep:

Ocean Melody/Oceania Soperana?

Attribute: WATER

Type: Sea Serpent/Synchro/Effect

Level: 4

ATK: 400?

DEF: 2500~3000?

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

Possible effects:

1. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can discard 1 WATER monster, then target 1 face-up card on the field; its effects are negated until the end of this turn.

2. If this card is destroyed by battle(?), or if this card in your possession is destroyed by an opponent's card effect: You can Special Summon 1 Sea Serpent-Type monster from your Extra Deck.

3. Twice per turn, while this card is face-up on the field or in your Graveyard, WATER monsters on the field whose original (printed) Level is 5 or higher cannot be destroyed by battle or by its controller opponent's card effects.

4. You can Shuffle up to 4 "Umi" and/or cards that specifically list "Umi" in its card text in either player's Graveyards: Players whose his/her card is shuffled can draw 1 card.

Personally, I would go for effect #2 and a variant of effect #3, since the effect negation may or may not be too good for a Synchro4 intended to be used as a ladder step for Synchro/Rank4s. Kind of how Tatsunoko has a decent protection against monster effects, but doesn't really stay on the field to take advantage of it. If anything, it prevents interruption by monster effects when Synchro laddering.

3. Twice per turn, if a WATER monster you control would be destroyed, it is not destroyed.

2. If this card is destroyed by battle(?), or if this card in your possession is destroyed by an opponent's card effect: You can Special Summon 1 Sea Serpent-Type monster from your Extra Deck

For Blank #1, I'm still not convinced by the suggested name, and would like to read more ideas.

Time to fill in the slot for Blank #3

Alright! Adding it to the OP.

To spark discussion, from the art one can already see some watches, so definitely could be time-related, which in YGO can translate to temporary banishment effects or simply effect stun, but there is plenty of the latter so I'm leaning towards the former.

Another idea I personally have explored before is extending the duration of effects (e.g. if Veiler's negation only lasts until the end of the turn, it would last until the end of the next turn instead) so we could discuss that concept as well.

Another creative but maybe silly idea is stopping all effects activated in the turn from applying, and resolve them all at the End Phase of the turn. For instance, activating a ROTA and chaining this would make ROTA resolve until the End Phase of the turn, which means the opponent gets the search at the End Phase, disrupting his/her plays. In a way it would turn into a Majesper Paladin-like search effect.

Housemaster of the Resurrected? he definitely have royalty theme on him... 

anyway

i understand on what you going with the variant of my effect darj but i can't help that its lack of...bang i guess? but your version is easier to understand and has a better utility

Housemaster of the Resurrected? he definitely have royalty theme on him... 

anyway

i understand on what you going with the variant of my effect darj but i can't help that its lack of...bang i guess? but your version is easier to understand and has a better utility

Yeah, I like that name more. I give it my vote.

As for the effect, I don't really get this lack of "bang", since I actually improved it by protecting itself and only your monsters xD

It is intended to keep your cards safe from BTH, destruction removal, etc. so you can Synchro Summon more comfortably with it. That or keep it on the field so your WATERs benefit from the x2 protection. Hmm... maybe I should limit it to protect only from destruction effects so the opponent can attempt to break your board through battle; either that, or only OPT since 2 blocks can be annoying.

We have yet to reach an agreement, and we still have like 3 different takes on the card. Would be nice if we all voted on which effects and traits to keep:

Ocean Melody/Oceania Soperana?

Attribute: WATER

Type: Sea Serpent/Synchro/Effect

Level: 4

ATK: 400?

DEF: 2500~3000?

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

Possible effects:

1. Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can discard 1 WATER monster, then target 1 face-up card on the field; its effects are negated until the end of this turn.

2. If this card is destroyed by battle(?), or if this card in your possession is destroyed by an opponent's card effect: You can Special Summon 1 Sea Serpent-Type monster from your Extra Deck.

3. Twice per turn, while this card is face-up on the field or in your Graveyard, WATER monsters on the field whose original (printed) Level is 5 or higher cannot be destroyed by battle or by its controller opponent's card effects.

4. You can Shuffle up to 4 "Umi" and/or cards that specifically list "Umi" in its card text in either player's Graveyards: Players whose his/her card is shuffled can draw 1 card.

Personally, I would go for effect #2 and a variant of effect #3, since the effect negation may or may not be too good for a Synchro4 intended to be used as a ladder step for Synchro/Rank4s. Kind of how Tatsunoko has a decent protection against monster effects, but doesn't really stay on the field to take advantage of it. If anything, it prevents interruption by monster effects when Synchro laddering.

3. Twice per turn, if a WATER monster you control would be destroyed, it is not destroyed.

2. If this card is destroyed by battle(?), or if this card in your possession is destroyed by an opponent's card effect: You can Special Summon 1 Sea Serpent-Type monster from your Extra Deck

For Blank #1, I'm still not convinced by the suggested name, and would like to read more ideas.

Alright! Adding it to the OP.

To spark discussion, from the art one can already see some watches, so definitely could be time-related, which in YGO can translate to temporary banishment effects or simply effect stun, but there is plenty of the latter so I'm leaning towards the former.

Another idea I personally have explored before is extending the duration of effects (e.g. if Veiler's negation only lasts until the end of the turn, it would last until the end of the next turn instead) so we could discuss that concept as well.

Another creative but maybe silly idea is stopping all effects activated in the turn from applying, and resolve them all at the End Phase of the turn. For instance, activating a ROTA and chaining this would make ROTA resolve until the End Phase of the turn, which means the opponent gets the search at the End Phase, disrupting his/her plays. In a way it would turn into a Majesper Paladin-like search effect.

I like effects 1 and 2 for Blank #2. As for Blank #1, I'm fine with the name you give it. For Blank #3, how about this effect:

Quick-Play Spell Card

Target 1 card on the field; banish it until the next Standby Phase.

That settles it for Blank #1, then.

As for Blank #2, looks like effect #2 is staying, but there is debate between #1 and #3. I will wait for more opinions on that one. I'm not really convinced by the Siegfred effect, to be honest; I would be more comfortable if it only targeted monsters.

For Blank #3, I find that effect quite bland. I would rather explore the resolution-delaying effect: should be more creative, and just as, or even more, disruptive.

How about something like this?

[insert name here]

Spell Card

Type: Quick-Play

Activate only as Chain Link 2 or higher. The effect of the previous card in the Chain will apply at the End Phase of this turn.

Example of uses:

Chaining this on Bottomless Trap Hole, will cause it to destroy and banish the monster at the End Phase, if it's still on the field.

Chaining it to ROTA will cause the player to add the Warrior monster at the End Phase instead.

As for rulings and stuff, that previous effect still activates and resolves at that time, it just applies its effect at the End Phase, rather than activating and resolving at the End Phase. This is relevant for effects that involve card/effect activations.

That settles it for Blank #1, then.

As for Blank #2, looks like effect #2 is staying, but there is debate between #1 and #3. I will wait for more opinions on that one. I'm not really convinced by the Siegfred effect, to be honest; I would be more comfortable if it only targeted monsters.

For Blank #3, I find that effect quite bland. I would rather explore the resolution-delaying effect: should be more creative, and just as, or even more, disruptive.

How about something like this?

[insert name here]

Spell Card

Type: Quick-Play

Activate only as Chain Link 2 or higher. The effect of the previous card in the Chain will apply at the End Phase of this turn.

Example of uses:

Chaining this on Bottomless Trap Hole, will cause it to destroy and banish the monster at the End Phase, if it's still on the field.

Chaining it to ROTA will cause the player to add the Warrior monster at the End Phase instead.

As for rulings and stuff, that previous effect still activates and resolves at that time, it just applies its effect at the End Phase, rather than activating and resolving at the End Phase. This is relevant for effects that involve card/effect activations.

Not really in agreement for this one. Sure, it delays the card, but that's it. There's not much to it.

Not really in agreement for this one. Sure, it delays the card, but that's it. There's not much to it.

You are underestimating the effect, IMO. Stopping the right card could very well translate into skipping the opponent's turn. For instance, how about delaying that Lawnmowing? The opponent will get the mills... but at the End Phase, so he/she won't be able to perform any follow-ups for the turn. How about delaying that Zoodiac Barrage? Or pseudo-negating a removal effect by delaying it and using the monster as fodder before it is destroyed? Yeah. It can also delay effects that would disrupt your plays like Veiler, Maxx C, the Ghost Tuners, etc.

In fact, I was thinking the effect would be too good and a cost would be needed to make it fair.

On the other hand, banishing temporarily any card, not only is too bland for my tastes and perhaps has less applications than the above effect, but also it threats with outclassing cards like Dimensionhole, Matter Transporter, Farfa, etc. and while the former two are rather underused, they have their niches here and there, and may actually gain attention in the post-Link era.

I'll give you that.

Still no on the delay effect, though.

You give me only the point about the card outclassing, but not the rest of the points? Huh

Adding to that, another point against that effect is that it would pretty much be the next Book of Moon, which is the kind of card TCG doesn't want in high numbers, judging by the position of BoM and Compulsory in the banlist.

Anyway, we better wait for the opinion of more participants.

You give me only the point about the card outclassing, but not the rest of the points? Huh

Adding to that, another point against that effect is that it would pretty much be the next Book of Moon, which is the kind of card TCG doesn't want in high numbers, judging by the position of BoM and Compulsory in the banlist.

Anyway, we better wait for the opinion of more participants.

Fair enough. Granted, I think I'll change my suggested effect. How about a recovery card? Whether it adds to the hand or Special Summons, it'd require you to wait one or two of your turns before recovering said card?

Fair enough. Granted, I think I'll change my suggested effect. How about a recovery card? Whether it adds to the hand or Special Summons, it'd require you to wait one or two of your turns before recovering said card?

That could work. A monster searcher that places the monster on the field in exchange of waiting some turns. It occurs to me that it could take more turns depending on the number of Tributes it would require for its Normal Summon.

By the way, it is also an option to give it more than 1 effect, preferably 1 on activation and another while in the grave, so we can mix & match the suggested ideas so far, properly tweaking them, of course.

Archived