Link Summon - Decoder Talker (FIRST EVER MONSTER)

d43beeaf.jpg

Decode Talker
DARK Cybers-Type Link Effect Monster
LINK 3
ATK 2300
Materials: 2 or more Effect Monster
(1) This card gains 500 ATK for each monster Linked to it.
(2) When an opponent’s card effect that targets a card you control is activated: You can Tribute 1 of your monsters

Linked to this card; negate that activation, and if you do, destroy it

There are 2 ways of Link Summoning!!
>>Send Materials to the Grave Equal to the Link Number!
>You can Link Summon something from your Extra Deck by sending the same number of monsters that meet the material requirements written in the card’s effect box, whose total numbers equal to the LINK number, from the field to the Graveyard
>>Decrease Materials by Using Link Monsters
>Link Monsters are treated as the same number of materials as its LINK Number, however to use them you must match the requirements written on the card!

IN THE CASE OF “DECODE TALKER”

You can either
-Use 3 Effect Monsters
or
-Use 1 Link 2 Effect monster and 1 Effect Monster

Pay Attention to the Direction of the Link Markers!
>The Zones pointed to by each Link Marker and the cards in them will be affected by the Link Monster, and this will create new strategies!

They have no defense…!!!
Link monsters have no defense points and they have the special characteristics of being unable to change their battle positions or turning to defense position by effects.

54aff6a8-1.jpg?ssl=1

The Newly Created Extra Monster Zone
>You can only use one of them!<

When the Duel begins, neither Extra Monster Zone is considered to belong to a specific player. When a player Special Summons a monster to one of them, that Zone then becomes treated as part of that player’s field, and the other then becomes treated as the other player’s field. The tactics of a Duel will change drastically depending on who can grab an Extra Monster Zone first! An Extra Deck Monster can only be Summoned to the Extra Monster Zone! But if you Summon a Link Monster to one of the Extra Monster Zone first, you can utilize it to its max potential!

*Extra Deck Monsters, like Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, and Link, cannot be Summnoned to the Main Monster Zone, beware!

– What has been the [Monster Zone] up till now is now the [Main Monster Zone]
– The [Pendulum Zone] is on the left and right of the [spell & Trap Zone]. You can use it as a normal [spell & Trap Zone], but when you place Pendulum cards there, it is treated as the [Pendulum Zone]

C42_EcPVcAAlQ8k.jpg?ssl=1

Although Extra Deck Monsters can only be Summoned to the Extra Monster Zone Normally, if you have a Link Monster in the Extra Monster Zone, the Zones pointed at by their Link Markers can be used to Summon Extra Deck Monsters! So if you get out a Link Summon quickly, you can bring out Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz Monsters in succession, while ignoring their summoning conditions. Of course, you can Summon another Link Monster in one of these Zones, so if you play your cards right, you can fill your entire Main Monster Zone with Extra Deck Monsters! The new metagame will require careful consideration of where to place monsters!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow..... they just dramatically slowed down any form of extra deck summoning. I guess that's one way to solve the speeding up of the game, but Jesus, this means that the vast majority of decks will literally HAVE to run link monsters, or they're funked.

That's not gonna be a popular decision, especially since so many current decks are focussed on synchro or xyz spam.

As for link cards, they look cool at least. I like the blue hex pattern, though I wish they'd gone with something that couldn't be mistaken for rituals from a distance.

They're also going to have to be VERY specific with the materials required for stronger ones.

I'm sort of confused, you are suppose to send monsters equal to the LINK number written where the DEF box would be, but you only need 2 materials? So that means you need three monsters actually, unless you use a LINK number of 2 and a regular Effect Monster? Secondly, I kind of dislike that you are forced to play Link Monsters to be able to Special Summon Extra Deck Monsters, this will make it annoying for Decks that focus on a lot of Extra Deck Monsters at once. Pendulum Zones being part of the Spell & Trap Zone is interesting, it seems to be meant as balance, most Decks probably won't care much anyway, but I can see some annoyance coming from that.

EDIT: Forgot to even mention this, but new type! I hope they take better care of this one than Wyrm-Type, but seeing as the main character uses them, I expect they will.

[...] Secondly, I kind of dislike that you are forced to play Link Monsters to be able to Special Summon Extra Deck Monsters, [...]

Not really, however if you do not use link monsters you can only summon a single extra deck monster (unless you revive them (in that case they can go to the regular monster card zones (as the reborn ruling states)), which means Frightfur can still summon 3 sabre tooth and tiger without using any link monster)).

However if you do not use and maintain link monsters you cannot spam extra deck monsters.

Well that is one way to slow down the game, funnily enough pendulum needs to rely on non-pendulum monsters to summon from their extra deck.

As for the 3 Spell/Trap zone for pend players ... sounds alright, that is one way to prevent pendulums from turning into a full helmet mode deck (looking at you majespecters).

... that being said ... could we finally get an increase in ED size ? I mean seriously, Link monsters take up even more the ED space ?

This is a crazy way to dramatically slow down the game by restricting amount of Zones for ED monsters to 1 unless you set up the Link Summon. Some stuffs I notices that are relevant and not so relevant:

- if your opponent have a monster in the MM Zone link to this monster, and it have an effect to make use of the linked monsters such as tributing for a cost, you can deliberately use your opponent's monster as a tribute at will.

- since it have no level or rank, it will not by pass all cards relevant to them so this is one more bypassing than the Xyz monster has. So this will be influenced by cards that affect Links.

- Considering Decode Talker is Yusaku's ace momster, it actually broke traditional 2500/2000 by having 2300 ATK and no DEF instead even though it would get 3800 ATK at most by Linked monsters.

- I do agree that afar, the colouring almost just resemble as Ritual Monster it would be possible they would be mistaken in the future.

- I guess with this Mechanic of slowing things down, Ritual actually get more of their shots of being metas as well Main monsters only decks too.

Wow. This seems kind of convoluted. So what is the purpose of the Link Markers? And why do Pendulum Zones now take up Spell & Trap Card Zones?

I do like the appearance of the cards, being blue.

Markers grant you additional Zones to place ED momsters since new rules declared that the main monster zones no longer be used for ED monsters unless you use a Link monster to open another Extra Monster Zone.

Not really, however if you do not use link monsters you can only summon a single extra deck monster (unless you revive them (in that case they can go to the regular monster card zones (as the reborn ruling states)), which means Frightfur can still summon 3 sabre tooth and tiger without using any link monster)).

However if you do not use and maintain link monsters you cannot spam extra deck monsters.

Well that is one way to slow down the game, funnily enough pendulum needs to rely on non-pendulum monsters to summon from their extra deck.

As for the 3 Spell/Trap zone for pend players ... sounds alright, that is one way to prevent pendulums from turning into a full helmet mode deck (looking at you majespecters).

... that being said ... could we finally get an increase in ED size ? I mean seriously, Link monsters take up even more the ED space ?

So what does that mean? I can't Synchro Summon anymore, or can I? And if so, how many times?

What? You can only Special Summon Extra Deck Monsters to the Linked Zones, and you can only have one Extra Deck Monster in the Extra Monster Zone, and since they don't have any for those Links, you are only gonna have one.

Well that sucks. Now I can't Synchro Summon more than one monster.

Not as easily, though maybe not, since they are definitely going to come up with cards that combo with those types of Decks, like Summoning a Tuner Monster when you Link Summon a guy or whatever. It's not the end of YGO, but it will just change how you play.

Not as easily, though maybe not, since they are definitely going to come up with cards that combo with those types of Decks, like Summoning a Tuner Monster when you Link Summon a guy or whatever. It's not the end of YGO, but it will just change how you play.

All it does is slow down the ludicrous speed of the game, along the regular spam fest, I mean you can still play crystal wing without link monsters, it is just that you cannot as easily end on 2 crystal wings + stardust dragon + strike (an example for speedroids if they can still get terrortop through enough luck).

This is kind of a second chance for the speed not to get out of hand ... though we all know konami is going to screw up sooner or later (most likely rather soon).

I don't like it.

theyre bootleg Synchros with the intention of slowing the game down in a way that increases complexity creep far too much.

And the degree to which it slows the game down just kills a lot of decks, pet or not, because you have to have extra resources to do anything, and it really kills defensive cards a lot of the time.

i mean, yeah, that's one way to hurt (not kill) Zoodiac, but it certainly doesn't seem well thought-out.

I'm all for trying to slow the game down. But theres like 3 different rule changes here, and that's not even counting the Link monsters themselves. I think that whether this is a good move for the health of the game or not, they're going to get a lot of backlash for having so many drastic changes all at once...

Archived