Link Summon - Decoder Talker (FIRST EVER MONSTER)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mss Pendulum isn't dead lol

it only restricts monsters that are ED monsters, not Pendulums added to the ed

Oh bugger

Never mind, I misunderstood. So it seems you can only control 1 Extra Card zone per player to start, so you would be able to go ptolo->nova->infinity 

Chain is a lot less annoying now I guess. Seems like Level eater became complete sheet. LOL ULTIMAYA. 

I was typing a post on the YGO Theory Section since I didn't see any thread about this there yet, but found out the discussion is happening here, alright.

So yeah, they drastically slowed down all Extra Deck Summoning methods, even Pendulums were affected by moving the Pendulum Zones to the S&T Zones.

I like these changes, personally; looks really interesting, can't wait to see how the game will be re-shaped. If anything, I find iffy how all decks that rely on multiples Fusion, Synchro and/or Xyz monsters must be able to run and feasibly Summon Link Monsters, which means that with proper siding against Link Monsters, decks with such playstyles could be stopped cold and blocked hard. Also this is a nitpick, but I find odd that Link Monsters have no DEF nor cannot be switched to DEF; I guess it's to keep them destructible by battle? but still, I find it so random when they could easily have shoved the DEF stat there.

They REALLY have a chance to keep power-creep low in this game now. I hope they will use this golden chance they've gotten and not squander it with creep in the link market.

Anyway. Non-ED decks like Nekroz just got so funking good so funking fast, it's amazing. And synchros aren't really dead. You can still ladder. If you have a sync in the extra zone and then use a regular monster in the normal zones as mat for the new sync.

You guys mean, TG-Hyper Librarian is dead lol

Oh, I find the new Cyber-Type kinda random, too. I mean, unlike Psychic-Type, it doesn't look to fill any race, so to speak, that couldn't be covered by any of the existing types, like the other "Cyber" monsters have.

- Cyber Dragons: Machine

- Cyber Angels: Fairy

- "Cyber" dancers: Warrior

And so on.

Or, for example, if it's intended for cyborgs, virtual monsters and whatnot, Machine or Psychic would have worked just fine, IMO.

Then again, the new type allows them to unify cyborg-looking monsters with different appearances under the same Type, plus of course allows the creation of Type-based support without affecting the existing Types. After all, they did make Wyrms to separate them from Dragons as precedence, so I guess it's fair enough.

Back to he Link Monsters topic, would be neat if they eventually made Link Monster that could link into S&T Zones, allowing players to place monsters there xD

I don't get why people are calling things dead already, when not only are you able to still Special Summon Extra Deck Monsters already, but there will most likely be support for those Decks to support this kind of playstyle now, it's clear that Konami knows that there is and advantage of having older Decks around still, since people like to play them, which is seen in the huge amount of Decks that got support in the sets of the Pendulum generation.

Hmm is there gonna be a ED size bump to compensate?

As I take it, because of Link Monsters, the Extra Deck isn't going to need all those monsters anymore, as it can't as easily Summon them. You are now going to focus on specific combos with Link Monsters in mind, so you will need less monsters to begin with, making the Extra Deck not need more space.

As I take it, because of Link Monsters, the Extra Deck isn't going to need all those monsters anymore, as it can't as easily Summon them. You are now going to focus on specific combos with Link Monsters in mind, so you will need less monsters to begin with, making the Extra Deck not need more space.

Well frequency of summon isn't necessarily  positively correlated with utility. Hell if you can only SS one at a time, you'd want more options to be able to choose from to match the situation properly 

This Ace is his Junk Warrior, they are probably repeating Yusei's pattern there.

I don't like the mechanic being too similar in color to Rituals. Couldn't they have picked either a very dark navy blue or a very light sky blue instead?

The Link number would have easily become their stars but I think they wanted the "no Defense Position" feature. It won't make a difference most of the time but it means they can't make a Gachi-like or Superheavy Samurai-like monster there.

The Pendulums rule is half of my suggestion:
https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/359066-itt-more-pendulum-changing-junk-9/

So naturally I kind of like it. 

So what happens with Zone-moving like the Senet effects, or if a Link dies? At least tell me the Extra Deck monsters stay.

I'm not sure how to feel about the Extra Deck changes. It seems some decks will have it too hard without Link Monsters. On its own it sounds interesting but some decks are really too dependent on their Extra in ways this can't really cut it.... and by now I know Konami. Their mechanics introduced every generation all have the potential to bump up older strategies to balance out the game, but they really don't do that the bast majority of time. Now older decks might not just be left in the dust but also nerfed from the root.

This Ace is his Junk Warrior, they are probably repeating Yusei's pattern there.

I don't like the mechanic being too similar in color to Rituals. Couldn't they have picked either a very dark navy blue or a very light sky blue instead?

The Link number would have easily become their stars but I think they wanted the "no Defense Position" feature. It won't make a difference most of the time but it means they can't make a Gachi-like or Superheavy Samurai-like monster there.

The Pendulums rule is half of my suggestion:

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/359066-itt-more-pendulum-changing-junk-9/

So naturally I kind of like it. 

So what happens with Zone-moving like the Senet effects, or if a Link dies? At least tell me the Extra Deck monsters stay.

I'm not sure how to feel about the Extra Deck changes. It seems some decks will have it too hard without Link Monsters. On its own it sounds interesting but some decks are really too dependent on their Extra in ways this can't really cut it.... and by now I know Konami. Their mechanics introduced every generation all have the potential to bump up older strategies to balance out the game, but they really don't do that the bast majority of time. Now older decks might not just be left in the dust but also nerfed from the root.

If a Link dies, it dies, nothing happens to the Link Monster if that's what you mean. Extra Deck Monsters would stay, Linked zones are only there to open up the ability to Special Summon to them.

wait guys, so can there only ever be 2 non-link ED monsters on field? Think about it this way

L (v)

(<)L(>)

(L)L(J)

(<)L(>)L(>)

You can have more than 2

Back to he Link Monsters topic, would be neat if they eventually made Link Monster that could link into S&T Zones, allowing players to place monsters there xD

This needs to be the case. Support 100% because I assumed that was how it worked.

Anyway, Decode Talker seems rather weak. I'm using 3 monsters instead of 2 just to open up 2 zones for myself and 1 for my opponent. With the whole card advantage correlates to zone advantage thing going on, that seems like a heavy minus.

Also extra deck removal like Lithosagym seems super strong if you just hit their Link Monsters.

He doesn't let you ignore the Summoning Coditions Nyx, he just grants you the right to actually summon an ED monster onto your Main Monster Zone that the arrows of his point too. So if he's in the Extra Deck Zone to your left, he makes it so you can SS ED monsters to Main Monster Zones 1 and 3, and also lets your opponent Summon in their Main Monster Zone 2.

He doesn't let you ignore the Summoning Coditions Nyx, he just grants you the right to actually summon an ED monster onto your Main Monster Zone that the arrows of his point too. So if he's in the Extra Deck Zone to your left, he makes it so you can SS ED monsters to Main Monster Zones 1 and 3, and also lets your opponent Summon in their Main Monster Zone 2.

Oh, nevermind then. I don't mind these monsters too much, and I could look past the use of Spell & Trap Card Zones as Pendulum Zones. What disappoints me though is not being able to bring out more than one Synchro, Xyz, or Fusion monster without these.

So a bunch of thoughts that I have about these cards in no particular order

~ They seem like a more generic cross-breed of Synchro and Xyz

~ If you can send Link monsters for cost, can you also "clear" your link zones of non-Link ED monsters? If so DDD might get a small ray of hope.

~ Since Links can't be changed to DEF, cards like Ultimate Conductor Tyranno, Floodgate Trap Hole, and Quaking MF are useless on them

~Also, if only ED monsters can be put in the zones, they can't be Kaiju'd until they're in a MMZ EDIT: NVM, kaiju just show up in a monster zone like normal.

~ Like Black said, these have the potential to creep to some stupid levels, especially if Konami allows for multiple zones to be linked by 1 monster down the line, or 1-card Links

~Also consider that since Links can be used for more Links, the more revival exists for links, the greater the ability to summon high Value links. Linkspam could very easily happen in the near future.

~ It's interesting to see the celebration of the Extra Deck (Pendulum) juxtaposed vs this, which seems like a really hard hit to ED mechanics as they stand.

~Noting also that they don't have levels or ranks, meaning that fusion is the only way to really take advantage of them in terms of ED shenanigans, aside of course from the aforementioned link spam

~ Also codetalkers are an actual thing, most famously in WWII

Honestly I'm not a fan. Unsure if it's to the point of "NOOOOOO GAME RUINED DX" but I don't much like inhibiting options, and the mechanic itself feels like it's spiting the rest of the game to benefit itself.

Zoodiacs will still dominate because they can make a Zoodiac Xyz, Summon 2 Rats, use the Xyz and a Rat for a Link Monster, and continue the Zoodiac Xyz ladder with the remaining Rat on a now-linked Monster Zone :v

No, that does not work as your ladder xyz would already occupy the ED zone, so you cannot summon that link monster. Edit: Pendulums cannot be used to summon link monsters, right ?

No, that does not work as your ladder xyz would already occupy the ED zone, so you cannot summon that link monster. Edit: Pendulums cannot be used to summon link monsters, right ?

You would use up the Xyz currently occupying the Extra Monster Zone as material, releasing the Zone for the Link Monster you Summon to be placed there. That's how it works... right?

As for Pendulums, I don't see what would stop them from being used, and much like when Synchro Summoning with them, they would be sent to the Extra Deck face-up after being used for a Link Summon.

You would use up the Xyz currently occupying the Extra Monster Zone as material, releasing the Zone for the Link Monster you Summon to be placed there. That's how it works... right?

As for Pendulums, I don't see what would stop them from being used, and much like when Synchro Summoning with them, they would be sent to the Extra Deck face-up after being used for a Link Summon.

Nvm, for some reason I assumed link's require levels. As for Pends ... I kind of assumed that, however it sounds a bit too easy to abuse.

Guest BGMCANN0N

... This mechanic... IDK... I feel like Konami is going to have to sneak up from behind me and chloroform my face... And later tie me, and wake me up at gun point to even get me accept this is as a mechanic of Yugioh. And metaphorically that is what they are going to do.

How are Quasar, and his brethren going to compose themselves after this? They are basically being dealt an eviction notice.... But, then again... Let them burn! >:D

But, I could at the very least celebrate the new Typing. Give us a Disc Magician retrain! :D

To everyone crying that Quasar is dead: No. He's not. Dropping him thrice in turn 1 is.

The Extra Deck is now locked behind a door, and Link monsters are the key to open it. This slows the game down to the level it was at around DM.

Turn 1: Link Summon Decode Talker

Turn 2: Link Summon another monster to spread 1 more ED Summon Zone

Turn 3: Sync Librarian to that new Zone; tribute or otherwise kill the second Link

Turn 4: Sync a Level 5, advance a little with Librarian Draw

Turn 5: Formula Synchron into Quasar in one of Decode Talker's Linked Zones.

And the entire time Decode let's your opponent have 1 more ED slot to help defend themself

Archived