Link Monster Template V1.2

Flash Flyer - Sakura

(Because the tutorial forum is dead now...)

Well, it's been a little over a day since Link Monsters were revealed (and while I'm not exactly fond of their function and what they're doing for the game. that's not a discussion for this thread).

Anyway, I took a shot at making a prototype version and decided to let the rest of you play with it.

(UPDATE LOG)

https://www.mediafire.com/?18hh7c3ych694m8 [V1.0]

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qjl2cm3sz8zase4/[sakura]_Link_Template.xcf[V1.2]

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qxguluxz55z111t/YGO_CC_Templates_2.zip (The entire package)

Features:

- Modified Series 9 template (regular cards and Pendulums)

- Link Monster template (includes Link Zone markers)

- Rarity effects

- Custom copyright and passcodes

[spoiler=Sample card]

V1.2

ZPD_Veteran_Officer_-_Hopps_X.jpg

V1.1

2017-en001.jpg

Yeah, it's a Christmas-themed card; all I really did here was just retool an existing ED card I made. Any comments about its applicability in the game is to be saved for Custom Cards, if I ever post this. (Maybe I should, but in a different form)

Rules of usage:

- Credit if used; I'm not pedantic on how you format it, but linking to this thread is sufficient enough.

- Do not post this template on deviantArt or elsewhere, and claim it's yours.

Fonts needed:

- Matrix Book Medium (effect text)

- EssayCaps (Link Number)*

- Stone Serif Thin (copyright/passcode)

- Stone Serif Semibold Bold (editions, if you guys use it)

- Matrix Small Caps (card name)

* I do not know the precise font used, but EssayCaps works pretty well. Otherwise, BankGothic is an acceptable substitute. Both of them are free, so you should be able to get them easily.

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/308603-fonts-for-yu-gi-oh-card-making-with-multilingual-support/

(You can find the necessary fonts here, as well as a bit more. I'm not sure if the links are still working, but check. Earlier editions of TCGEditor would've given you some of them as required files. If you need some of them, PM me.)

Credit:

This partially came from Zextra's Series 9 template (in terms of a card base). Recall that I asked him a couple years ago for permission to convert his templates to XCF and he said it'd be appreciated.

(I PM'd him earlier to let him know about this.

Rest of the stuff is mine, including scratching said template (and the font layers you'll be using).

Took about an hour or so for the Link template and all; rest of it was carryover.

(Not really keen on the quality of some of the Link Markers, but I had to scratch them off of scanned images)

====

So yeah, until TCGEditor gets updated, have fun with this.

If you have any questions on how stuff works on this template, let me know.

SXgtcRq.png

Wow, it's only been a day and someone made a template already. I have never been good with GIMP, so it took a while to figure out how to make it work, but after a bit of messing around with it, I manage to make it work, so good job! Here's my attempt:

yw4V38k.png

It looks fine.

Also note that you CAN modify the copyright and passcode so it doesn't outright say my name on it (or turn off the layer).

(To be fair, only other person here who made a template is BatMed).

Can this work in Magic Set Editor, or must I wait for an update?

You probably have to wait for an update.

I technically ripped the markers off of a scanned pic of Missus Radiant (at the time of making the template, that was the only one that wasn't really cluttered). But yeah, if anything, that's probably my one major peeve with the template. Well, at least the ones denoting where the links are located.

Still updating it to look more official (can't exactly copy the hexagon pattern, but can make it close). If clearer images come up, then I can do a better one.

(I am aware that Batmed and Grezar technically have one for Photoshop [and while GIMP can run it, won't look as nice (plus font files and stuff need to be redone)])

====

But yeah, it's fine if you plan on holding off on making stuff.

I took a look at what Grezar uses for his (BankGothic), but because my template's on GIMP and his is Photoshop, the results are different. But might be worth a shot testing out that font when I get on desktop later. Hopefully it's a free download or something; otherwise just find something that's really close but doesn't require me to pay money.

I know I posted a sample of version 1.2 (skipping 1.1 because that version is slightly meh) in that member's thread, but for convenience, here's what it looks like now. 

[spoiler=yeah]

66A5Bmo.jpg

The template design itself is pretty much set; just need to modify the Link thing and we should be fine. Need to fix the left one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I can probably do it (even though I don't often use the computer that has PS nowadays). Only thing I'd need to do is fix the font files.

That being said, I have modified the template a bit since this got posted initially; basically changes to the Link Number font and the frame itself. (Obviously I can't replicate the exact hexagon pattern used on real cards, but think it came close enough; basically symmetrical with a slight overlap shift)

• 2 weeks later...

Updated the OP with version 1.2.

Basically the template has the Link Markers fixed to look cleaner (at this point, I did borrow a bit from Link Spider / Decode Talker after cleaner images were provided), the font has been updated to EssayCaps for the Link Number. (In light of TCG changing the wording and uncertainty over what the bottom looks like, just assume it'll look like this [because I do feel it looks better in the OCG form].

Additionally, I have provided GIMP versions of Zex's Series 9 template with modifications (you can download the full package, which does have everything, or just the Link template if you just want that).

====

As usual, you do need to have SOME knowledge on how to run GIMP (which amounts to modifying text layers, making sure the pic aligns in the boxes and so forth). If you need help, feel free to ask (though I should've left a text doc on what to do in the ZIP file).

====

Regarding the user who requested a PSD version of this, I'll get to it later on. Right now, I am typing this on my usual computer (which is Linux-based and does not have access to Photoshop; well, I do have Wine installed but it's really buggy).

• 1 month later...

Updated the OP with version 1.2.

Basically the template has the Link Markers fixed to look cleaner (at this point, I did borrow a bit from Link Spider / Decode Talker after cleaner images were provided), the font has been updated to EssayCaps for the Link Number. (In light of TCG changing the wording and uncertainty over what the bottom looks like, just assume it'll look like this [because I do feel it looks better in the OCG form].

Additionally, I have provided GIMP versions of Zex's Series 9 template with modifications (you can download the full package, which does have everything, or just the Link template if you just want that).

====

As usual, you do need to have SOME knowledge on how to run GIMP (which amounts to modifying text layers, making sure the pic aligns in the boxes and so forth). If you need help, feel free to ask (though I should've left a text doc on what to do in the ZIP file).

====

Regarding the user who requested a PSD version of this, I'll get to it later on. Right now, I am typing this on my usual computer (which is Linux-based and does not have access to Photoshop; well, I do have Wine installed but it's really buggy).

Just gonna say, I've been looking and looking around the web and now I'm 100% positive that the font for Link Number is FF Gothic (there are some variants like Condensed, which is bold, or Volume, which is more adequate). NOTE: FF Basic Gothic is useless!! Do not use that one!! For the record the "LINK" part uses another font. 

Here is a sample of the font for view http://m.font.downloadatoz.com/font,139671,ff-gothic-volume-af/

It says download but I've not been able to download anywhere (so far as I've looked around, the font is hard to come by and SOLD yes sold by several bucks).

If somehow you could manage to get your hands on the font, would you be able to share it? Thanks in advance.

Well, I'm probably not going to be permitted to really do so publicly due to laws concerning distribution of a paid product, but if I can find a free version or whatever's close enough, then I can look into it. 

BankGothic's chosen because it was close enough at the time. Not really exact, but if we're spending money for a font only used for this template, then not really worth the investment. 

• 1 year later...

how can i create my own link monster?

Welcome to YCM!

There is a more updated cardmaker that you can find here: https://yemachu.github.io/cardmaker/

It has Pendulums and Links and other things that can fit your card making needs!  If you want to post your cards, you'd need to save them onto your computer then upload them onto Imgur/Tinypic/etc.

Happy cardmaking!

Archived