Is YCM Good or bad?

cr47t

It's fine tbh, at least where it counts.

Obviously there are issues, and for some people those issues are personal enough to justify leaving, but that is a vocal minority.

I'm a person with a lot of complaints about this site, and a lot of things I'd like to see change, but I can admit that most of my concerns are things that the vast majority gives absolutely 0 shits about.

If we could steal it from YCMaker and put it under the management of someone who can code, that would be the most effective first step.

However barring that, we just need to foster a less antagonistic community. The problems causing people to leave, as I see it, are not necessarily the content being posted but the inflammatory delivery of the content, and the continued insistence upon "sides," from Winters/Roxases to Conservatives/Liberals, everyone thinks everyone else needs a label and it's creating division that pushes people out.

This isn't me whining, I've stayed and will continue to. This is an observation as to why people seem to be leaving. It's entirely the fault of people trying to being up fights instead of discussions, or trying to prolong misunderstandings rather than resolve them.

Minus a few minor changes in the community and how the place is ran, YCM is the same as it's always been.

The people who make a big stink when they quit have really twisted expectations. A lot of the really old guard just quietly left outside of a few notable exceptions.

It's neither good nor bad. It just is. There's no real appeal to this place other than the fact it's a pretty casual YGO forum that somehow isn't infested with cancer, nor should there be.

If we could steal it from YCMaker and put it under the management of someone who can code, that would be the most effective first step.

However barring that, we just need to foster a less antagonistic community. The problems causing people to leave, as I see it, are not necessarily the content being posted but the inflammatory delivery of the content, and the continued insistence upon "sides," from Winters/Roxases to Conservatives/Liberals, everyone thinks everyone else needs a label and it's creating division that pushes people out.

This isn't me whining, I've stayed and will continue to. This is an observation as to why people seem to be leaving. It's entirely the fault of people trying to being up fights instead of discussions, or trying to prolong misunderstandings rather than resolve them.

Not trying to disagree with you, so I apologize if any of this comes across as hostile towards you.

I utterly despise that the community is essentially divided into who sides with me, who sides with Winter, and (Though this part I don't see as frequently) an assumption that disdain for one automatically means approval of the other.

It's basically two guys feuding while one part of the site is placing bets on who will win, while the rest of the site is wondering why anyone even cares about the feud to begin with.

I understand where you're coming from, but the problem is that some of the content that's posted directly affects people on this site, so when you have people who have opposing views on very personal issues people are going to get heated, and there's nothing you can do about that. It doesn't have really anything to do about sides or even (arguably) political ideology, but personal issues that people feel very strongly about. Especially so when those issues affect people's daily lives, and how they live, it's easy when someone doesn't have the same perspective you do to go onto the attack.

Not trying to disagree with you, so I apologize if any of this comes across as hostile towards you.

I utterly despise that the community is essentially divided into who sides with me, and who sides with Winter, and (Though this part I don't see as frequently) an assumption that disdain for one automatically means approval of the other.

It's basically two guys feuding while one part of the side is placing bets on who will win, while the rest of the site is wondering why anyone even cares about the feud to begin with.

I know it's been said before, but I wouldn't say it's fair to hold you at fault for people "ganging up" on Winter. Long before you were involved in General/Debates Winter and I disagreed on just about everything, and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one. It was especially not helped by the fact that it was really only Winter who held these opposing views. I mean of course there was Halu, but he wasn't really all that active in the section. 

Honestly, I know for myself (I won't presume to speak for others), my disagreements with Winter don't arise from anything to do with you (no offense you do seem like a pretty cool guy) or even from political partisanship. Me and Winter just fundamentally disagree on a lot of social and economic issues, which are often very polarizing topics.

It's the go-to site/forum for card making, so I don't think competition is an issue.There are better forums for Yugioh TCG discussion though. But the proportion to total members to active ones is really unbalanced. If only we can motivate newer members to be active more, but these types of niche forums have a tendency to mainly have long-time members more active than the newer ones. To be honest, I think that if YCMaker was a lot more involved with this community it would be far more active and a far better community.

I understand where you're coming from, but the problem is that some of the content that's posted directly affects people on this site, so when you have people who have opposing views on very personal issues people are going to get heated, and there's nothing you can do about that. It doesn't have really anything to do about sides or even (arguably) political ideology, but personal issues that people feel very strongly about. Especially so when those issues affect people's daily lives, and how they live, it's easy when someone doesn't have the same perspective you do to go onto the attack.

You seem to have missed where I said that the content is less of an issue than the delivery of that content. Of course people are going to be very passionate about certain subjects, and that is absolutely justified and should not be stifled. The problem is when passion becomes anger, ridicule, and antagonism. As was mentioned, most political topics only really started sprouting up when, as I recall, Winter just sort of popped into existence at 4-5 stars and basically decided politics was going to be his "come at me bro" arena, challenging anything he could. Now I don't have a problem with political talk, and I like that Winter provides that to a degree, but there needs to be some interest in actual, fruitful discussion; not just wanting to tell people you're right or they're wrong, otherwise it just creates problems like the ones we're discussing in this thread, eventually.

The bit about "sides" was intended to be a separate point, which is being caused by the first. People targeting their arguments against groups or individual users, or choosing what topics to start or incite, based on which perceived side of the forum they are on, when that isn't how effective discussion is achieved; it's not remotely on what progress is built on. It is entirely to create drama.

I don't want to stop politics or debates, nor do I want people to be unexcited about them. I just want the users to be able to do so without feeling like they have to defend their character with every other post, without having to feel like they are being called out in every other thread, without feeling drained from watching argument after argument devolve into a verbal fistfight that ends up locked with none of the participants happy or satisfied. Because clearly, that isn't working for people anymore.

I know it's been said before, but I wouldn't say it's fair to hold you at fault for people "ganging up" on Winter. Long before you were involved in General/Debates Winter and I disagreed on just about everything, and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one. It was especially not helped by the fact that it was really only Winter who held these opposing views. I mean of course there was Halu, but he wasn't really all that active in the section. 

Honestly, I know for myself (I won't presume to speak for others), my disagreements with Winter don't arise from anything to do with you (no offense you do seem like a pretty cool guy) or even from political partisanship. Me and Winter just fundamentally disagree on a lot of social and economic issues, which are often very polarizing topics.

I'm sure there's some history before my own involvement. It's just that, since I'm a moderator, it… well, the people who are already against Winter would generally feel emboldened. Not only does that make it look like I'm getting people to "gang up" on him on my behalf, it's basically "See, a moderator has my back, so I'm totally in the right!" Though like you said, your own disagreements with Winter have nothing to do with me, so I don't think I'm doing anything to reinforce your own perspective. It's just that, like Heinous said, some things are meant entirely for the sake of drama. Threads are treated like a proxy for Winter and I to continue arguments from other threads, even though the arguments we're continuing don't have much to do with the main topic at hand. I could give examples, but that would only be demonstrating the problem.

TCG is absolute ass but its less ass than most other forums and also less inactive so I suppose its pretty good in that sense. Misc is a laugh sometimes. Though tbh I'm only here because I'm getting back into Yugioh and its the only forum I'm established on.

I utterly despise that the community is essentially divided into who sides with me, who sides with Winter, and (Though this part I don't see as frequently) an assumption that disdain for one automatically means approval of the other.

It's basically two guys feuding while one part of the site is placing bets on who will win, while the rest of the site is wondering why anyone even cares about the feud to begin with.

Not a thing tbh, even my "most loyal" friends have openly, and at times, viciously shamed me. If you remember how vla1ne and I first met, it was him shaming me me over pride parades. Jack and I have fundamental differences on economics. Deadpool seems to side with y'all more often than he does me. Hina is willing to humiliate me, same as you. I could go on and on. My "side" only speaks out when you abuse your powers as a mod and sink down to my level, yet preach a moral high ground. You don't have it.

In fair, your side isn't one unit either given cowcow joined me in calling for your resignation. Life isn't so black and white, and neither you nor I am so influential to be plotting some massive proxy war.

People dislike it when you're a jackass. People dislike it when I'm a jackass.

TCG is absolute ass but its less ass than most other forums and also less inactive so I suppose its pretty good in that sense. Misc is a laugh sometimes. Though tbh I'm only here because I'm getting back into Yugioh and its the only forum I'm established on.

going to be honest, the ygo and connected things are what kept me here for so long, even when i tried to leave

not having a place to discuss sheet feelsbadman

Archived