Link Mechanic

https://ygorganization.com/reallypendulumswereverysorry/

Updates:

Pendulums that you Pendulum Summon from the ED are forced to go to the Extra Monster Zone OR a Linked Monster Zone.

Links have neither Levels nor Ranks.

Extra Deck monsters summoned from anywhere other than the Extra Deck go in the Main Monster Zones.

Something something Bahamut Shark and Ultimaya probably don't work unless summoning to a Linked zone. Unconfirmed.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still no confirmation on if Tokens can be used for Link Summons, and if by any chance Linked S/T Zones let you Summon Extra Deck monsters there D:

The latter was already debunked. Former is just a matter of if BKSS happens or not, because game mechanics as-is definitely allow it.

Now that's a much more significant nerf for Pendulums considering the most turbo-based ones like Metalfoes, Igknights, or PePe ingredients, all depend on their Extra Deck plus power plays.

Funny thing is that this has been a suggestion from people in the past, where people throw up that idea of only bringing in 1 single P Summon from the ED per turn and having all others come from the hand, except they mixed it up with a limitation for all ED mechanics.

This means the mechanic would take longer to plus. The bare-bones mechanic would not plus on its own, but due to self-destroying strategies it'd probably be able to go +1 on the first P Summon to mitigate the -2 that is the Scales. Then again, Scale Effects would need to be more worth it.

I think this might give us some cards back from the list.

All in all, Pendulums are taking a big blow this gen, I think.

So...it's pretty much what I expected.

Links have neither Levels nor Ranks, as I assumed.

The rules of the EMZ applies to ALL Summons FROM the Extra Deck, including Pendulums.

Still frustrated a bit about the EMZ rules, but I notice that it pretty much confirms that you now have six Monster Zones. 5 MMZ, and 1 EMZ, which is something I was wondering.

I'm glad Pendulums are taking a bit of a hit, I just wish it didn't come at the expense of everything else, unless you're using Links.

This is just a suspicion, but could it be that monsters in the Extra Deck cannot be attacked while you have a monster(s)in the MM Zones? That could explain why Link1~2 Monsters have such average ATK, while Link3s have a below average ATK for a 3-material monster.

This is just a suspicion, but could it be that monsters in the Extra Deck cannot be attacked while you have a monster(s)in the MM Zones? That could explain why Link1~2 Monsters have such average ATK, while Link3s have a below average ATK for a 3-material monster.

No. They have such low ATK because they also allow you to do more ED summons and are inherently more generic than Xyz Monsters.

No. They have such low ATK because they also allow you to do more ED summons and are inherently more generic than Xyz Monsters.

I know that, but still, some are too weak and really easy to break, like that Spider with 1000 ATK. It makes it difficult for the players to preserve the link chains unless there is a catch, like the one above.

I know that, but still, some are too weak and really easy to break, like that Spider with 1000 ATK. It makes it difficult for the players to preserve the link chains unless there is a catch, like the one above.

The trick is that you just use the smaller links to make better ones. Don't end the turn on spider when it+a link of 2 or greater can become Decode Talker, or Gaia. It really just starts plays.

The trick is that you just use the smaller links to make better ones. Don't end the turn on spider when it+a link of 2 or greater can become Decode Talker, or Gaia. It really just starts plays.

Yeah, that makes enough sense, but it can get costly if you keep laddering up the Link Monsters and they aren't rewarding enough. For instance, personally I would stick with Missus, which is nicely backed up by the float effect, unless Linking up leads to pluses somehow (e.g. Tengu). And even then, Missus with 1900 ATK doesn't really have a big field presence, and even Decode Linker and Gaia are relatively easy to run over. That made me wonder if monsters in the EM Zone gained some sort of Seal of Orichalcos-ish protection, which IMO would be a nice way of protecting your starting/core Link.

Oh well. Besides, it should be expected for Link Monsters to get better as the new mechanic and the game grows.

Earliest Xyz were pretty awful (probably because the earliest Synchros were too good, so they reined in on the earliest Xyz) by having arbitrary downsides and/or mediocre ATK. Like No.39 killing itself if you attacked it when it had no Xyz Material, and No.17 having only 2000 ATK, and not being able to direct attack with no Xyz Material, among other things.

Links will probably be the same thing, especially with the new rules. 1900 ATK seems mediocre, but you can't Extra Deck spam the way you used to be able to without first committing to a Link Monster, so it's not QUITE as dangerous to have a monster with 1900 ATK that opens up more options for you.

To be fair, Leviathan Dragon was decent as a 2500-ATK generic Rank3 after detaching 1 material, and Utopia was ok too as a 2500-ATK x2 attack blocker, despite its drawback; granted, they didn't have much competition in the beginning, but IIRC they remained relevant for a while. And I understand that Link Monsters are weaker as a trade-off for their "genericness", but when your Extra Deck plays depend on them, I cannot but feel them a bit vulnerable for the role they will play in the game. But yeah, surely better Link Monsters will be made as the game evolves.

Maa, Konami, look at this, you've finally pushed me too far. And here I was all 'I'm okay with this', 'I'm okay with that,' right up until now.

Pendulums are not a successful mechanic without their extra deck recursion. That is actually the only thing keeping them afloat, and without it every pendulum deck created to this day would. be. worthless. A pendulum strategy without the extra deck revival would need absolutely insane hand recursion and recovery effects to make the pendulum summon worth it every turn. And if Konami had designed pendulums from the start that way, they would have that. They would have ways to mitigate that weakness built in. But they weren't designed with that in mind. The entire foundation that pendulums were built upon was completely shattered.

I went and looked through the list. I am certain. No currently existing pendulum deck that uses its pendulum scales as more than continuous spell cards will, barring amazing new support, ever be anything close to meta again.

I know why they did this, too. Our current pendulum decks don't fit Konami's cute little vision of pendulums. Maybe at the start they wanted us to use it as an alternative to tribute summoning, or to boost slower decks. But it turned out self-destruction is such a good mechanic for them that every single pendulum deck is now playing hyper-destructive extra deck filling strats. And so Konami decided that a good way to reset all this is kill every pendulum deck we have?

This isn't right. How long did it take Konami to figure out how to make a good pendulum archetype without breaking it first time around? They're gonna have to figure out how to design pendulums again. We're going to get another PePe.

I don't know what to do anymore. I think I've finally lost faith in this silly little company that makes the game I love so much. And I just don't know anymore.

Sorry for the rant. You don't need to read this.

OK yeah Pendulums really are nerfed now. It's impossible to summon any more than 3 Pendulum Monsters from the Extra Deck unless your opponent has a Link Monster pointing to one of your zones. That actually does inherently slow the game down, at least initially. I doubt Pendulums are dead completely, there will be a couple of new Pendulum decks that can use the new mechanic, but they will be more restrained and less obnoxious, which can only be a good thing. Qli is now unplayable unless we get a Qli Link Monster.

Honestly so many people (including me) really didn't like Pendulums the way they were anyway so this is probably a good thing. Only thing I don't like is that Bahamut and Ultimaya are basically dead now (Ultimaya more so than Bahamut). 

This l like

https://ygorganization.com/reallypendulumswereverysorry/

Updates:

Pendulums that you Pendulum Summon from the ED are forced to go to the Extra Monster Zone OR a Linked Monster Zone.

Links have neither Levels nor Ranks.

Extra Deck monsters summoned from anywhere other than the Extra Deck go in the Main Monster Zones.

Something something Bahamut Shark and Ultimaya probably don't work unless summoning to a Linked zone. Unconfirmed.

"I told you so" on the first one

Honestly great news. Pendulums cannot easily + now. And they don't make link summon stupid w/ p5

Seems a bit early to throw out a link pointing at a S/T and having significance IMO. We just learned about the pendulum ruling today. You're likely right tho

Doesn't really seem that relevant in the long run outside of making u play LINK DLC or convince you to stop clinging to meme Qliphort decks

Most PS happen initially from hand, (Igknight already have a workaround lmaoo) and the future is bright. Going second as link monsters improve, you are going to have at least more than 2 zones to pend from extra, Clash / Monkey / Plushfire have the possibility of glorious return after doing no wrong, and koomy likely to ignore the mechanic for a period of time (konami hates synchros!!!!!11) only to print cheap Rat clones or Pend cards similar to Tune Magician.

We haven't even seen CODE yet, which is lit

Terrible response as it ignores how powerful resolving these cards are even if your opponents life points aren't at 0.

Like it doesnt matter cuz the relative boards of decks not named Zoodiac have been weakened based on what little we know of CODE. So yes, being able to resolve Ignister should put u far enough ahead zzzzzz

I mean, it hurts pure pendulum decks, but oftentimes pendulums are tossed in (like metalfoe) and act as a secondary engine, so the pendulum summons happen from hand anyway.

That entertainment duel field spell is basically impossible to trigger outside snipe hunter memes, now.

Metalphosis like to PS multiple foes after the whole popping circle jerk

It hurts basically every pendulum deck we've seen thus far. Idk why it's so hard for y'all to admit that

Of course it hurts them. That doesn't make them unusable.

Not really. Vanillas have a strong Link engine through Spider, and using cards like Gofu, Baobaboon/Lonefire engine, or Astrograph, they have a very good non-pendulum based summon engine inherently. They'll have no problem with link summons.

Archived