Link Mechanic

Not really. Vanillas have a strong Link engine through Spider, and using cards like Gofu, Baobaboon/Lonefire engine, or Astrograph, they have a very good non-pendulum based summon engine inherently. They'll have no problem with link summons.

You can never P5 from extra. Max is 3 after set up. Drastically weakens cards like Monkey and scout

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can never P5 from extra. Max is 3 after set up. Drastically weakens cards like Monkey and scout

Who the frick cares, holy crap why is it the pendulum nay-sayers always seem to think it's a summon-5 that makes them good or not? Have you ever actually played Metalfoes, because pendulum summoning 2 or 3 alone is good enough.

Who the frick cares, holy crap why is it the pendulum nay-sayers always seem to think it's a summon-5 that makes them good or not? Have you ever actually played Metalfoes, because pendulum summoning 2 or 3 alone is good enough.

Metals are good for other reasons. Namely Kirin and Stein or stupid plays with Jowgen and Vanity

Decks like Zarcs will p5 and win off low atk monsters that can generate adv. It's not always about damage VCR

Metals are good for other reasons. Namely Kirin and Stein or stupid plays with Jowgen and Vanity

Decks like Zarcs will p5 and win off low atk monsters that can generate adv. It's not always about damage VCR

lmao I've played Zarc magicians quite a bit, and seriously dude have you ever played a pendulum deck? It's very rare that what's going on is setting up the ED so the empty field can be filled. Especially with Zarc Magicians and Metalfoes that's not the case; between cards like Astrograph or Tune Magician, or in the case of Metalfoes (because Kirin is banned OCG side and is probably gonna get banned TCG side) you've got crap like Unexpected Dai, E-Tele, Gofu, and Baobaboon/Lonefire (if you're running that) for a lot of plays to output monsters without even touching your pendulum summon. Only a total helmet plays to the point of hinging their entire turn on just one pendulum summon.

lmao I've played Zarc magicians quite a bit, and seriously dude have you ever played a pendulum deck? It's very rare that what's going on is setting up the ED so the empty field can be filled. Especially with Zarc Magicians and Metalfoes that's not the case; between cards like Astrograph or Tune Magician, or in the case of Metalfoes (because Kirin is banned OCG side and is probably gonna get banned TCG side) you've got crap like Unexpected Dai, E-Tele, Gofu, and Baobaboon/Lonefire (if you're running that) for a lot of plays to output monsters without even touching your pendulum summon. Only a total helmet plays to the point of hinging their entire turn on just one pendulum summon.

No, I've never played against a pendulum deck

The more I think about it, having effectively 6 monster zones sounds like you have an easier time to increase ur damage output in a given turn.

Obviously you need the capacity to do that, but that sounds hilariously easy when we finally get 15 link monster.dek and the main deck materials to support it; an idea that was tough to visualize or predict during the inception of pendulum (rofl foucalt cannon and timegazer/stargazer) as they were originally thought to help support existing decks rather than function as 500 good pendulum cards.dek

Of course I'd be more interested in determining what deck is actually good once COTD drops

Random ass speculation, but being limited to 1 extra deck summon per turn is unlikely due to disruption existing and actually summoning from the Extra is an action you can do 1 at a time. For example if an Extra Deck monster like Castel gets popped by a Drident, you would just continue onward and drop another threat.

Cards like Lost Wind sound more powerful because it forces a non-LINK ExtraDeck monster to stay on the field while rendering it useless as it consumes an Extra Monster Zone. Obviously much easier to deal with using LINKs but you can just Lost Wind the zones that the arrows are pointing at anyway GG

I like how this is yet again is konami being stupid af.

Yes, try to slow down the cancerous shitfest you created by simply smacking on the wrist the meta decks and completely kill the non meta because for some reason they think this is actually going to slow down the game enough. All they had to do was hit zoos but they did this instead.

*claps*

So what are the actual benefits to the link summon? Some decks get a small buff, others are unaffected (noids, monarchs, kozmo) and others outright get nuked.

I like how this is yet again is konami being stupid af.

Yes, try to slow down the cancerous shitfest you created by simply smacking on the wrist the meta decks and completely kill the non meta because for some reason they think this is actually going to slow down the game enough. All they had to do was hit zoos but they did this instead.

*claps*

So what are the actual benefits to the link summon? Some decks get a small buff, others are unaffected (noids, monarchs, kozmo) and others outright get nuked.

The benefit is that the game is changed significantly, with an entire new aspect to the rules the promotes innovation and is super cool in concept.

Not every decision is to make the metagame appeal to the common player.

The benefit is that the game is changed significantly, with an entire new aspect to the rules the promotes innovation and is super cool in concept.

Not every decision is to make the metagame appeal to the common player.

I mean i'm all down for innovation and all, especially after this hellhole of a "format" we are currently in.

I might have overreacted earlier, but I still feel like some decks really got the shaft with this which is why i'm somewhat hostile towards it at the moment. Though we can never know for sure if they're truly hurt until the time comes, but when it does I very much want to give it a chance and I very much do want to play it.. i've actually had a decent amount of fun recently and i kinda wanna continue it..

I mean i'm all down for innovation and all, especially after this hellhole of a "format" we are currently in.

I might have overreacted earlier, but I still feel like some decks really got the shaft with this which is why i'm somewhat hostile towards it at the moment. Though we can never know for sure if they're truly hurt until the time comes, but when it does I very much want to give it a chance and I very much do want to play it.. i've actually had a decent amount of fun recently and i kinda wanna continue it..

Cause ultimata is fun to play against?

Honestly, this is how Pendulums should have worked from the beginning. It makes them inherently more fair as a mechanic.

-The Pendulum Scales should have value more often in interesting ways without having to complete the pair.

-Pendulum Summon is fragile and full of openings for counters considering it is a once per turn deal that can make one lose massive advantage and can also have scale zones blocked, which counterability isn't a huge argument but with the potential of 3 Strikes, 1 Warning, 3 D Barriers, and other cards such as Trap Holes, it is something to take into account and Pendulum Decks that are deemed decent don't depend on Pendulum Summon or else they wouldn't be on the map.

-It bypasses Level restrictions on Summoning so even as a -2 it should be inherently advantageous even if you used it only to Summon a single monster from the hand, should the value of the monster make up for it.

-Finally, the "Summon from Extra Deck" should be more of a bonus to make up for it in advantage when the scales or quality of a Summon from the hand can't. Only it would take 2 turns of it to break even, but the game shouldn't last so little per duel. If you can bring out, say, Decode Talker into the Field, your Pendulum Summon slightly increases, and wait for bigger numbers of Links that I think something like a Link 5 would be the proper size of an Ace upgrade. Not to mention Rescue Ferret is an indicator of the increase in effect quality for Pendulum Support upcoming thanks to the new restrictions, so just let's see how they build this back up.

The issue is mostly on giving us support for a different blueprint of the mechanic for the past 3 years, and they just threw that plan out the window, which is almost a miniature version of what a full on reset button for the game would feel like. This is also part of the reason Konami doesn't do rotation. It would have been nice to get some sort of rotation when the game started, but at this time it would be too much of a loss, especially for players like me that have been following the game for the past 15 years and have IRL card collections massive because of it despite purging things out over the years.

Basically, it would have been better if Pendulums worked like this from the beginning and support came out accordingly, buuuuut what can we do? one thing is for sure, we couldn't keep the game as it was before these changes.

All things considered, this doesn't hit as many decks negatively as you would think. Any deck capable of strong monster output is going to be able to take advantage of Links; it just means that, for now, it limits how much of their normal ED monsters are put out in a single turn instead of Links. Quasar plays are still possible, but the one-turn combos are more specific now. I think the only decks that are outright killed in functionality are Amorphage and Burning Abyss, while other decks that are hurt in effectiveness are the decks with more xenophobia-centered combos. Cardians take a hit, although they are capable of doing a Link monster in a turn; it just makes the deck a lot more requiring of thought to be able to get the Links out before you go into normal plays. Super KoiKoi will probably be run in higher numbers to accommodate this.

http://beyondtheduel.com/master-rule-updates-special-summoning-extra-deck-monsters/

This is pretty much confirmation that Ultimaya/Mask Change/Starlight Road etc will need to go to the Extra Monster Zone. Also stacking things like Utopia the Lightning or Zoodiacs means they will have to go to the Extra Monster Zone or a Linked Zone if the monster you're stacking on top of is no longer linked.

I just bumped into an interesting question. If you absorb Decode Talker with Relinquished, does Decode Talker's upward pointer affect the Main Monster Zone directly in front of it?

I don't think so. When equipped it becomes a Equip Spell Card, and thus is no longer a Link Monster, which means its functions as Link Monster are no longer applying.

Speaking of Link Monsters turned into Equips, I assume their DEF will be treated as 0 for any effect that take the equipped monster's DEF, like the aforementioned Relinquished.

I don't think so. When equipped it becomes a Equip Spell Card, and thus is no longer a Link Monster, which means its functions as Link Monster are no longer applying.

Speaking of Link Monsters turned into Equips, I assume their DEF will be treated as 0 for any effect that take the equipped monster's DEF, like the aforementioned Relinquished.

I guess that makes sense. Same thing come to think of it would apply to Pendulum Monsters equipped to Relinquished-like effects that are conveniently placed at an S/T Zone that's also a Pendulum Zone.

• 2 weeks later...

i see, thanks, and i suppose that if they in turn are removed, than the zone reverts to a normal monster zone and the player has to link it again before extra deck summoning there?

I find explaining it with a metaphor best.

The Extra Deck is the outside world.

The new Extra Monster Zone (EMZ) is a door to your house, the field.

Links are the keys to open the lock on that door and get into the house.

Archived