Censorship CMakes CNo Cense

Looking at the group options (least from what I can see), there's nothing for discounts in the shop but there is one for multiplying the amount of points you can earn per post/reply/etc. Suppose we could modify that a bit. 

Can just turn off the swear filter for Seniors/Legendary; as-is, 4000 posts is going to take a while (not like the old days where this could be done within maybe half a year). 

I brought this up a while back and made a very similar topic which was generally supported. The overarching view of the membership is that the filter is better off being removed altogether. I raised the point with evilfusion but he didn't budge. It seems like because he wants it to stay, it's staying.

If I recall correctly, the filter was outright disabled at one point by one of the mods (possibly Pika, I dunno).

And after 5 minutes of seeing everyone randomly cursing like sailors in every status because "ooh, the novelty of being able to curse now is irresistible", I got so irritated that I put the filter back on. And sighed as every status then became disappointed outrage that their toys got taken away because they weren't playing nicely.

Maybe wait more than 5 minutes for the kids to calm down?

Oh, I'm aware that novelty and such dies down.

The problem was that I didn't like the idea in the first place, and the fact it got hideously abused by a ridiculous number of people testing out the novelty reinforced how bad of an idea it was.

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned before, I wouldn't object to permitting Senior Members to have the filter off (if people do abuse the lack of swear filters, we can just throw them into a group that does have the censor bar up). It wouldn't take more than a minute to click "Yes" to "Can members in this group evade swear filter" or whatever that option is called.

This hasn't exactly been a hot topic amongst the other staff members though (well, Dad and I gave definite opinions on the filter; should be removed but in various degrees. evil mentioned why the filter was put into place but nothing on whether removing the censor for Senior Members is fine/not.)

Considering that he saw everyone's opinions in the thread, and the censor remains unchanged, I think his thoughts on the matter are pretty clear.

I imagine there is more discussion of this in the mod forum, but from what I can see here I would say evilfusion is probably against removing/altering the filter.

Actually, there is no discussion on the matter in the mod forum (or much talk at all about forum stuff, bar maybe Easter event planning and some other stuff, including the rulebook updates). I can't say how evil or Flame feels about it now (believe he was speaking about a couple years ago when things were more chaotic; I likely wasn't around when this occurred, so can't speak for that). 

Changing the filter wouldn't require a Super Mod to do so (well, to alter what's ON the list and the replacements, yes, that requires evil or Flame to do that; to grant members the right to evade the filter, that just requires access to the ACP, which regular mods do have [we wouldn't be able to do member group requests if we didn't]). 

Just for clarification, I'm referring to turning it off for INDIVIDUAL groups; not everyone as a whole at once.

I've always been one of those people that disliked unnecessary cursing. Sure, the more minor ones never bothered me, and I freely use those myself, but in the area of more offensive or aggressive curses, I just prefer those to stay minimized whenever possible. The filter is hardly what one would consider "effective", as it's easy to discern what was just said even with the asterisks, but it is a method of minimizing the impact of the terms being thrown around.

I wasn't even really too delighted by the custom usergroups (and VIP groups, I think) being given the ability to bypass the filter, but pretty much just gave it a pass because it provided SOME incentive for people to use their points to get a custom usergroup or get added to the VIP group, in addition to the sparkly novelty and such that it provided. Otherwise, the idea might have just been a novelty.

The thing is, at the end of the day, this is still supposed to be a SOMEWHAT family friendly site, and I feel disabling the filter entirely would make it seem like we condone people dropping f-bombs and the like, and honestly, MOST forums don't let people do that, no matter who the site is catering towards.

On the flip side, this is a matter that I'm mostly apathetic towards. I'm not PASSIONATELY opposed to it, but I also see no real reason to go out of the way to change something, when the end result will probably just be aggravating. Last time anything of the sort was attempted, YCM showed that most of the memberbase has the collective maturity of a twelve year old right after seeing an R rated movie. I don't really expect a second iteration to be any different.

And there isn't just a simple "toggle" option. If I could go to the filter list and disable it in one motion (short of just deleting every entry on the list), I'd probably have done it, just to prove my point, and then re-enable it afterwards. Unfortunately, that isn't an option, so to test my expectation, I'd have to go to EVERY. SINGLE. MEMBER GROUP and manually disable that group being filtered (finding even the BASE member groups is a hassle when there's like 50 custom, unfiltered groups). And THEN if it proves to be yet another case of people misusing their nice things, I'd have to go BACK to every single member group and re-enable the filter.

FAR more trouble than it's worth, when I can just as easily do nothing, and NOT get aggravated by people spamming curses non-stop for a day.

But the biggest (lack of) incentive is that I don't really see a NEED to disable the filter. It's borderline useless for its purpose, but I don't view it as something that needs to be altered, when altering it would be a hassle, and again, probably just result in frustration.

Hmm...maybe I should randomly disable it right before going to work tomorrow. Or entertain myself by removing one word from the filter every other day and see how long it takes people to notice. I'm so diabolical. Muhahaha.

Oh, I'm aware that novelty and such dies down.

The problem was that I didn't like the idea in the first place, and the fact it got hideously abused by a ridiculous number of people testing out the novelty reinforced how bad of an idea it was.

The point I was trying to make is people will get tired of it soon. Yes for 5 min or so people like Enguin and Rewas will spam the living hell out of the filter. Give it a day or two, and it'll go back to normal. 

Hmm...

*checks stuff* There are currently 140 Senior Members...and to get to that rank, you need 5000 posts. Legendary needs 10,000.

I would at least consider that.

IDK just personally it would be nice for advanced members to get have the filter be off, because I've been a pretty active member here for about 5 years, and I still don't have that many posts cause I predominantly post in RP, which isn't exactly a great way to rack up posts. I mean that being said I'm not going to jabroni if I have keep the swear filter on, but I would like to through this out as food for thought

Archived