My Body as a Shield

tumblr_inline_msxlyk93DW1qz4rgp.jpg

When your opponent activates a Spell/Trap Card or monster effect that would destroy a monster(s) on the field (except during the Damage Step): Pay 1500 LP; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it.

I just now heard about this card, and it seems promising since spells are so powerful. Being a quickplay rather than a trap card makes this incredibly useful. However, I have no idea how often this card sees play so I cannot really comment on it too much. Discuss.

I feel like "Except during the Damage Step" kills its usefulness by a lot. But then again, I haven't immersed myself with what's the meta right now in YGO, so for all I know MP1 is where most of your damage is going to occur. Before in the past, there were always cards and effects that activate during the Damage Step, which makes this card all but clunky and inefficient to use. Maybe that's changed.

Have a real copy of this card. It's a desperate measure, for sure, but if you absolutely CANNOT afford to lose that monster, by all means it is a very useful and straightforward card. For instance, if it took a lot of effort to summon and your opponent drops a Bottomless Trap Hole on you ,and you have this card, GO THE HELL FOR IT! But otherwise, only include this in Decks that heal a LOT, gain advantages from having fewer LP, or if you REALLY believe in The Heart of The Cards.

Have a real copy of this card. It's a desperate measure, for sure, but if you absolutely CANNOT afford to lose that monster, by all means it is a very useful and straightforward card. For instance, if it took a lot of effort to summon and your opponent drops a Bottomless Trap Hole on you ,and you have this card, GO THE HELL FOR IT! But otherwise, only include this in Decks that heal a LOT, gain advantages from having fewer LP, or if you REALLY believe in The Heart of The Cards.

The only decks I can think of that can't afford to lose a monster are archetypes like Super Quantum or pretty much anything that revolves around setting up for one boss monster. Solemn Strike is the only trap I see being played in every deck, and while it does destroy a monster, it's a counter trap, so there goes that.

This always has been a good card, but it was usually ignored because either decks were already profitable off floating, had no space to consider this card, or didn't fir the playstyle, but it's a likely combo of these reasons.

It's only relevant now that Zoodiacs, the most trending combo engine/deck that can work with 1-card combos is weak against a number of boardwipes. You do not want to afford to lose your Drancia/Drident board since Zoodiacs often need to survive lategame, otherwise they get curbstomped by a meta filled with Raigeki, Dark Holes, Interuppted Kaiju Slumbers, other Drancia/Dridents, and Onuncu nukes. It's a quick safeguard you use to protect monsters you cannot afford to lose, whether going first or second. Good thing it has at least aged well.

Archived