Number 42: Galaxy Tomahawk

Number42GalaxyTomahawk-MP15-EN-C-1E.png
2 Level 7 monsters
Once per turn: You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card; Special Summon as many "Battle Eagle Tokens" (Machine-Type/WIND/Level 6/ATK 2000/DEF 0) as possible, destroy them during the End Phase of this turn, also your opponent takes no further battle damage this turn.

Okay, so this thing actually gains quite a lot from the new rules. First off, if this is the only monster you control, it would previously summon 4 tokens. Now it summons 5. Sweet. Furthermore, the tokens it summons (as well as it itself) gain new utility, as they can be used for link summons. Just summoning tomahawk turns two level 7 monsters into 6 link materials, which can be used to immediately go nuts. Unfortunately, the tokens are WIND and normal monsters, which rules out missus radiant and decode talker, but this card will only get better as more link monsters are revealed.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see dragon rulers come back in the foreseeable future, and this could be one of their best bridging plays.

YOOOOOO that's pretty lit. Hopefully more generic-mat Link monsters come out, or more Normal-Mat Link monsters come out to take advantage of this*

*Tokens are always treated as Normal Monsters, so if a Link monster states anything but just monsters or Normal monsters as materials, these won't work.

2 Tokens = 2 Spooder = Radiant for what it's worth, but you can make spooder + gaia iirc?

Droolers won't come back, at most 1 will

The issue is that you can't make link spider until tomahawk has been used, so if you make gaia first, then spider under it, you will have already run out of linked zones.

Yeah, you need to remove Tomahawk or use it for a Link Summon first. Also yes, as more Link Monsters will be released, this card is bound to get better.

By the way, why are Dragon Rulers brought up? I don't want them back, personally; besides, wouldn't they have an edge in the post-Link format by playing the beat game instead of going for Rank7 spam, while most of the Extra deck-based decks will be slowed down? It wouldn't be wise to bring them back, IMO, especially after Links.

Yeah, you need to remove Tomahawk or use it for a Link Summon first. Also yes, as more Link Monsters will be released, this card is bound to get better.

By the way, why are Dragon Rulers brought up? I don't want them back, personally; besides, wouldn't they have an edge in the post-Link format by playing the beat game instead of going for Rank7 spam, while most of the Extra deck-based decks will be slowed down? It wouldn't be wise to bring them back, IMO, especially after Links.

"something something true kings are better anyway"

It's not a prediction by any means, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I remembered this card as well, but as said, it has a pretty big problem, the fact that you must remove it to make another Link Monster, while possible since you could use it to make the Link Monster, is still quite annoying since you are losing a decent monster by doing that. I feel like it will be more helpful for you to make another Rank 7 and sit on that instead most of the time, but I can also see it being useful in the future.

"something something true kings are better anyway"

It's not a prediction by any means, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Hmm? AFAIK True Kings aren't as recurring or overwhelming as Rulers can be; sure, True Kings have some power plays, including the Rank9 but, again AFAIK, they run out of steam afterwards, while Rulers can keep going as long as you have fodder in the grave. Also, in post-Link formats, said Links would actually provide extra fodder for their recursions.

I would be surprised if they were allowed back. And not so much from a metagame standpoint, but from a profit one, because we should know by now that banlists are about selling the new stuff, not making old stuff good enough to win games; "why buy the new Links if I can play Lawnmowing Rulers to win?", yeah...

That's an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

I remembered this card as well, but as said, it has a pretty big problem, the fact that you must remove it to make another Link Monster, while possible since you could use it to make the Link Monster, is still quite annoying since you are losing a decent monster by doing that. I feel like it will be more helpful for you to make another Rank 7 and sit on that instead most of the time, but I can also see it being useful in the future.

Losing a decent monster? It is a 0/3000 with no xyz material.

It is literally 6 link material.

I thought it only detached 1 Xyz Material, though it does both, so I suppose that is true, though 3000 DEF is still a decent wall.

It would be if it had any form of protection.

Also, can we stop using literally wrong already? It upsets me quite a bit.

As soon as you stop using the word decent wrong ;)

Double Gaiasaber? Unfortunately, it uses all 6 monsters, but it opens up two new zones which is... something?

I think this is just worse than gaiasaber>spider>missus radiant, though it is decent for getting damage on board.

How are u arranging Gaia saber + Spooder + Missus cuz I think u need to give up Tomahawk 1st to free up the Extra Monster Zone which only points downward. Spooder and Missus are real bad in the main monster zone due to pointing solely downward and pointing downward at both angles respectively so you have to choose between the two after making Saber

Wait, you don't have to match the exact link number? I was under the impression that you did. I guess I missed that...

You might, I'm not very smart.

How are u arranging Gaia saber + Spooder + Missus cuz I think u need to give up Tomahawk 1st to free up the Extra Monster Zone which only points downward. Spooder and Missus are real bad in the main monster zone due to pointing solely downward and pointing downward at both angles respectively so you have to choose between the two after making Saber

I misinterpreted rules. My thought was summon gaiasaber in EMZ, summon spider below it, then use both for missus in EMZ. But that doesn't work. Whoops.

it's a nice way to Special Galaxy-Eyes, but i don't know much uses for it

Ha, I just noticed the Tokens have 2000 ATK.

This WOULD almost be interesting in Galaxy if...you know, Galaxy Decks had a way to make Rank 7. Then again, a couple cards supported by Galaxy cards have no use to the archetype whatsoever, such as No.83 Galaxy Queen.

Photon Sanctuary does it better.

Although I didn't notice the detach 2, it is true that Galaxy Tomahawk is essentially a "dead" monster after use.

As far as it goes cross fingers for SABER/HALBERD/OTHER SHARP WEAPONfly to take advantage of WINDs

Alternatively Machine Links are inevitable

Either way it's kinda a shame you can't make Karakuris to go into this under Links because that would have been hilarious :P

Might as well put up the most effective combo I've found in old decks to make 42 for Link spamming.

Deck: Machina Gadgets

Starting hand:
Machina Fortress x2
Literally any Machine-types x2
Castle Link
Normal Tuner (Level 4 or lower)

Step 0: Pitch Machina Fortress and generic machine to Summon that Fortress, repeat for the other Fortress

Step 1: R7nk into N42 in Left EMZ

Step 2: Detach 2, summon 5 Battle Eagle Tokens to entire MMZ

Step 3: N42 + 2 Battle Eagle Tokens in the Left Edge and Center MMZs for GaiaSaber in Left EMZ

Step 4: Battle Eagle Token 3 for Link Spider 1 in Left Edge MMZ Linked Zone

Step 5: Activate Castle Link, move Gaiasabre to Center MMZ Linked Zone

Step 6: Token 4 for Link Spider 2 in EMZ

Step 7: Special Summon Normal Tuner with Link Spider 2's effect to Link Spider 2's Left-Center MMZ Linked Zone
(Options: L1 Flamvell Guard/Water Spirit, L2 Galaxy Serpent, L3 Tune Warrior, L4 Angel Trumpeter)

Step 8: Synchro Summon using Normal Tuner and Battle Eagle Token 5 for Level 7 / Level 8 / Cloudcastle/ Leo, Keeper of the Sacred Tree (Depending on which Normal Tuner was used) to Right-Center MMZ Linked Zone

Step 9: Use both Link Spiders as Material for Missus Radiant in EMZ.

Step 10: Left edge MMZ is Linked and open, make use of it later as you're out of cards. (intentional to minimize enemy Dark World playability. Mind Crush and Dragged Down to the Grave can't activate with a 0 hand around.)

EDIT: I'm forgetful. Gaiasabre points only in the three helpful cardinal directions, not diagonally. Replace him with a valid Link monster later when they're released.

Gaiasabre points down, so you can't use Castle Link to move him if Link Spider is in his only Linked Zone.

Hmmm... can't believe I forgot he only pointed cardinals. I'll have to rethink that whole idea from the first Link Summon, then, since 42 can't be Spider Material. Still, once we get a Link that points both down-diagonals and can be Summoned using 42 and a Token, that combo becomes live.

Archived