Burning Abyss Link Monster - Malacoda, Cyberlord of the Burning Abyss

gmaster1991

drftC5j.jpg

2 or more Fiend-Type monsters / LINK-3

If a monster(s) that is not a "Burning Abyss" monster exists in this card's Linked Zone(s), destroy that monster(s). If this card is sent from the field to the Graveyard: You can target 1 card on the field; send it to the Graveyard.

When Link Monsters come out, the Extra Deck rules will change so that there will only be one initial Extra Deck Monster Zone for each player, and that each player can only summon additional Extra Deck monsters through the use of Linked Zones. That means that unless the Burning Abyss archetype has a Link Monster of their own, they'll be stuck with only one Dante or Virgil, unless they're willing to destroy the rest of their Burning Abyss monsters with their own suicide effects. That's why I think the archetype needs a Burning Abyss Link Monster.

As far as lore goes, it's like a cybernetic version of Malacoda, Netherlord of the Burning Abyss. Its ATK is the original Malacoda's DEF and its 8 digit passcode is the original Malacoda's in reverse. It also retains the original's Graveyard effect by taking a card with it when it dies. Finally, this card possesses an inverted version of the traditional Burning Abyss suicide effect that occurs when the player controls a non-Burning Abyss monster. It destroys all non-Burning abyss monsters that are inside its Linked Zones. This is utilized in two ways. Not only does it allow more Extra Deck summons for Burning Abyss monsters, but it also affects two of your opponent's Main Monster Zones, so unless they have monsters that can't be destroyed by card effects, this new Malacoda will effectively limit your opponent to 3 Main Monster Zones if it's in your Extra Deck Monster Zone.

I see a couple of issues here:

First, so far all Link monsters have the number of markers equal to their Link Number (e.g. Link2 monsters have 2 markers, Link3s have 3), while here you have a Link3 monsters with 6 markers so... either you make it Link6, or drop the markers to 3.

Then, flavor-wise, all BAs in the main deck are Fiends and based on demon characters, while the BAs in the Extra Deck are LIGHT and based in human-ish characters; so this card as an Extra Deck monster doesn't follow this "rule". Also you made it a cyber monster for whatever reason, with no correlation to the "Divine Comedy" poem the archetype is based on.

Those issues aside, the card's effect are fine, I guess. I agree BAs will need their own Link monster to expand on their Extra Deck summoning plays without triggering the self-destructive effects of the main deck monsters; I find cool how it rewards you with a removal of you use the monster as material for a Summon (e.g. a Link4+ monster) or fodder for effects. But depending on your decision on the markers, its disruptive capabilities can be weakened, or will require more resources.

Suggesting a different take on the first effect, fixing the "exist" keyword since it is outdated.

If a monster that is not a "Burning Abyss" monster is placed in a Zone linked to this card, destroy that monster.

I see a couple of issues here:

First, so far all Link monsters have the number of markers equal to their Link Number (e.g. Link2 monsters have 2 markers, Link3s have 3), while here you have a Link3 monsters with 6 markers so... either you make it Link6, or drop the markers to 3.

Then, flavor-wise, all BAs in the main deck are Fiends and based on demon characters, while the BAs in the Extra Deck are LIGHT and based in human-ish characters; so this card as an Extra Deck monster doesn't follow this "rule". Also you made it a cyber monster for whatever reason, with no correlation to the "Divine Comedy" poem the archetype is based on.

Those issues aside, the card's effect are fine, I guess. I agree BAs will need their own Link monster to expand on their Extra Deck summoning plays without triggering the self-destructive effects of the main deck monsters; I find cool how it rewards you with a removal of you use the monster as material for a Summon (e.g. a Link4+ monster) or fodder for effects. But depending on your decision on the markers, its disruptive capabilities can be weakened, or will require more resources.

Suggesting a different take on the first effect, fixing the "exist" keyword since it is outdated.

If a monster that is not a "Burning Abyss" monster is placed in a Zone linked to this card, destroy that monster.

Really..? All Link Monsters have a number of Link Markers equal to their Link Number? Didn't know that... Link Monster are still kinda new and all that. Still, I get what you mean about 'human-ish' characters in the Extra Deck. Finally, I actually used the word 'exist' because the term 'placed in' would only imply that Malacoda would only destroy new monsters that are placed in the zones. It was meant to also destroy monsters that were already in the zones before it was summoned.

All in all, there needs to be a lot of changes. I'll probably just make a Link Monster Dante or Virgil instead and just scrap this Malacoda...

Really..? All Link Monsters have a number of Link Markers equal to their Link Number? Didn't know that... Link Monster are still kinda new and all that. Still, I get what you mean about 'human-ish' characters in the Extra Deck. Finally, I actually used the word 'exist' because the term 'placed in' would only imply that Malacoda would only destroy new monsters that are placed in the zones. It was meant to also destroy monsters that were already in the zones before it was summoned.

All in all, there needs to be a lot of changes. I'll probably just make a Link Monster Dante or Virgil instead and just scrap this Malacoda...

You can still take the effects, not fully scrap it.

And to replicate that effect, then you can make it a continuous effect that destroys anything that gets linked to this card; that should solve the issues of destroying monsters that were already on the field.

If a monster, except a "Burning Abyss" monster, is linked to this card, destroy it.

Archived