A dragon thing that looks like a virus come to life (True King VFD)

sXCJ5bi.png

2 or more Level 9 monsters
Once per turn, during either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then declare 1 Attribute; for the rest of this turn, face-up monsters on the field become the declared Attribute, monsters in your opponent's possession with that Attribute cannot activate their effects, also they cannot attack. If you would destroy monsters with the effect of a "True Draco" or "True King" monster in your hand, you can also destroy monsters your opponent controls.

So I can't go too much into detail, because of the fact that i'm currently a bit busy. However I did want to post this card because as of lately (well really the past month) i've been watching a couple of buddies dueling (tag and normal) and they use Dino True King and True King Zoos respectively when they wanna go full lockdown mode on randoms

I've seen some truly disgusting ass interactions this card can do and it's almost mindnumbing that konami actually made a card like this. Amazing card yeah, but...

Some interactions i've seen (in my bud's TK Zoo deck) is basically making this with the TKs, using the basic Rat combo and then using this thing's effect to turn them water and then Bahamut Shark + Treatoad so you get Drancia + VFD + Toad + Shark which i want to say without sphere mode you're in quite the bind (and even then most people pop the effect at the beginning of your turn anyways). I want to say it's banworthy, but...

Is it?

Well it is a gigantic win-button that has some combo potential, shuts down all monster effects for the opponent for up to 2 turns (actually there is a harpie trap that does almost the same, except for affecting both players) and can dodge kaijus and all other removal by actually using its effect right away. That being said, the question whether it is banworthy or not says a lot about the current gamestate (pre Link), however NumberS0 locks down the opponent as well and is arguably easier, though more inconsistent and ED expensive. All in all I cannot say if it is banworthy, considering that implies it could somewhat salvage the (pre-Link) gamestate.

nah ur basically resolving a fusion spell in a 5 xard hand to summon this (true king + baby 1 and baby 2) with a respectable field, more often u see it by itself which is pretty manageable especially without a revival trap

the true king zoo sounds like that barely happens often as that would mean literally rat, field spell + bahrstos and not using at least 1 rat to summon the 2nd TK

dweller gggggg

nah ur basically resolving a fusion spell in a 5 xard hand to summon this (true king + baby 1 and baby 2) with a respectable field, more often u see it by itself which is pretty manageable especially without a revival trap

the true king zoo sounds like that barely happens often as that would mean literally rat, field spell + bahrstos and not using at least 1 rat to summon the 2nd TK

dweller gggggg

Hmm I guess. I'll need to ask them on the consistency of that field

I'm sorry but I fail to see why this card is immediately banworthy. Especially after I see certain people mentioning banning this in their theoretical banlists. I just don't see it being too cancerous other than being a harder-than-normal to summon floodgate demon. Ok I might have partially answered my own question, but I personally don't really see this being worth a mention other than a powerful boss.

I'm already aware of the strength of this card; My friend proxies and plays a True King deck IRL and that thing is a jabroni to deal with, and I am aware of the Zoo combos involved in easily making this especially in things like Dinos for example. But there are certain things about this card that make it not seem too bad. It's a quick effect to skill drain the board, and it is not at least a continuous condition you wouldn't be able to chain too. If you can bait this card with something like Drident well during your turn as well as bait and survive on their next following turn, chances are you will live and they won't summon another unless they're devoted to True Kings. And like most other floodgate monsters, V.F.D has weaknesses it can't cover such as being prone to backrow such as Dimensional Barrier (which if you play Zoos and manage to make Drident, you can bait the V.F.D and chain Drancia. Point is, if you're a smart and prepared duelist, trying to out this is no different than trying to work around things like Crystal Wing.

I guess the reason for drawing the line between those floodgatey monsters and this is instead of an OPT cost, you are essentially being stopped from using any monster effects just from just dropping a material from a 2-3 card combo. If that's the case, then we can only just talk about how it's being splashed around by most sides.

Second point is that this really hasn't been getting a lot of ground in the OCG so far. True Dracos are having more ground in Zoos due to Master Piece being arguably more worse and annoying due to its immunity. Besides, Maxx "C" exists, Dweller exists, Kaijus (unfortunately and fortunately) exist, as well as obvious backrow. Also, 9 is usually a big hurdle and even though field spell can solve most problems, you just can't always consistently expect and summon this card. R9 is a fair enough stat to warrant this poweful effect, and we should be lucky this isn't commonly being splashed in as much as possible.

But what about Link format you say? Wouldn't this be a little too oppressive in a new era where some decks are neutered down and being able to pop their own cards for my benefit be too abusable? Probably, but it's still baseless to say that it will have potential. It seems likely but we have to wait and see how OCG first adapts. It's just too early to put this on the cutting board especially after MACR has only been released after about more than 2 months ago. 

tl;dr: V.F.D is obscenely powerful, but has a lot of outs if you play grind game well. Otherwise you get funked and no one cares; moderately irrelevant skill-drain-the-monster should stay. In the end people will forget about this sheet like Infinity and Toadally Awesome until the salt comes back.

Hmm I guess. I'll need to ask them on the consistency of that field

Tbh i dont think you're gonna get a straight answer because generally with no basis for comparison, you'll lean in favor of ur deck being consistent. This applies to a lot of players tho cause you either play too few games to accurately gauge a deck's consistency, or u just stick with 1 deck for a given format.

Easiest way to look at this is that in generally these boards are initiated with 3 card combos, which are obviously inferior to 2-card combos featured in ABC, and of course the 1-card combos seen Zoodiacs. Obviously there's more nuance to this but at a glance its a good measure of consistency.

The real important thing is that A. Ultimately it's not up to the players to decide if something is so strong that it ought to get banned, and B. Because Kamino has absolutely no transparency in regards to its banlist decisions, whether or not something gets hit may not actually correlate to how consistent and powerful a card actually is.

As a general rule I typically spitball cards not getting hit because, somewhat obviously, most cards will never go anywhere near a banlist in the course of their existence, no matter how much some players go insane over them. While of course this method is entirely arbitrary, I think it provides a nice contrast to headless-chicken-freakout over virtually anything that has Quick or floating effects.

The real important thing is that A. Ultimately it's not up to the players to decide if something is so strong that it ought to get banned, and B. Because Kamino has absolutely no transparency in regards to its banlist decisions, whether or not something gets hit may not actually correlate to how consistent and powerful a card actually is.

As a general rule I typically spitball cards not getting hit because, somewhat obviously, most cards will never go anywhere near a banlist in the course of their existence, no matter how much some players go insane over them. While of course this method is entirely arbitrary, I think it provides a nice contrast to headless-chicken-freakout over virtually anything that has Quick or floating effects.

Yeah probably not banworthy.

Although i think the reason people hate quick effects is not because it's quick, but because people can amass around 2-3 of them with ease and occasional backrow to go along with it. (Most of the Quick Effects are negators which force you to play around)

It's the same thing I always say to people, Lone CDI with no backrow is pretty easy to get around. However when you start adding strikes + d barriers into the mix and then the possibility of another negater being summoned (Let's just say Crystal) that's when it starts getting messy. Imo the state of the game itself is more to blame rather than the quick effects.

I think konami saw this and made kaiju (either that or they loved their lore too much) but even then, are they really helping or are they contributing to the issue?

I don't know why people are saying that Kaijus are good against this. Kaijus suck against this in the same way that they suck against a Shock Master declaring Monster.

I mean, that's basically what this card is. It doesn't stop hand or grave effects, but it also allows your other stun monsters to function. Also, stopping attacks is really good. I love leaving weak monsters out without worrying about them. Next turn I use them as Xyz Materials for whatever best answers their meagre field.

Archived