Dark Blade Retrained

Shblov

Hey ! If you like Dark Blade as much as I do, then you'll like this archetype ! I got the idea when I saw Konami made a retrained version of Dark Blade (only for nostalgia's sake probably, as it's garbage :v), which made me think, "why not make a full-blown archetype out of it ?". So here it is !

[spoiler=Main Deck monsters]Dark Blade, Warrior of the Evil World

DARK - Level 4 - Warrior/Effect - 1800/1500

(This card is always treated as "Dark Blade".)

During your Main Phase, if this is the only monster you control: You can add 1 "Evil World" Union monster from your Deck to your hand. During either player's turn, you can Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using this card and Union monsters equipped to it as materials. You can only use each effect of "Dark Blade, Warrior of the Evil World" once per turn.

Pitch-Dark Dragon, Scourge of the Evil World

DARK - Level 3 - Dragon/Union/Effect - 900/600

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 "Dark Blade" you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card gains 500 ATK and DEF, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. You can only use each of these effects of "Pitch-Dark Dragon, Scourge of the Evil World" once per turn:

• If you control a face-up "Dark Blade": You can Special Summon this card (from your hand).

• During the End Phase, if this card is in your graveyard because it was sent there this turn: You can add 1 "Evil World" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Pitch-Dark Dragon, Scourge of the Evil World".

• During either player's turn, except the turn this was sent to the graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon "Dark Blade" from your Graveyard.

Kiryu, Flame of the Evil World

DARK - Level 5 - Dragon/Union/Effect - 2000/1500

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 "Dark Blade" you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card gains 1000 ATK and DEF, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. You can only use each of these effects of "Kiryu, Flame of the Evil World" once per turn:

• During either player's Damage Step, when "Dark Blade" you control battles: You can destroy all Union monsters equipped to it (min. 0); equip this card to it (from your hand).

• When this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls; destroy it.

• During either player's turn, except the turn this was sent to the graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon "Dark Blade" from your Graveyard.

Spirit Ryu, Prisoner of the Evil World

WIND - Level 4 - Dragon/Union/Effect - 1000/1000

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 "Dark Blade" you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card gains 500 ATK and DEF, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. You can only use each of these effects of "Spirit Ryu, Prisoner of the Evil World" once per turn:

• During your Main Phase: You can target up to 2 "Evil World" cards in your Graveyard or banished zone; Shuffle them to the deck, and if you do, Special Summon this card.

• When this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can Fusion Summon 1 Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using this card and "Evil World" monsters in your Graveyard as materials. These Fusion materials are banished instead of being sent to the Graveyard.

Squire of the Evil World

DARK - Level 2 - Fiend/Effect - 500/500

You can discard this card from your hand; Add 1 "Dark Blade" from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. You can only activate this effect of "Squire of the Evil World" once per turn. During your turn, except the turn this card was sent to the graveyard: You can banish this card from your graveyard; Target up to 2 "Evil World" Union monsters in your banished zone and shuffle them into your Deck.

[spoiler=Extra Deck monsters]Dark Blade, Dragon Master of the Evil World

DARK - Level 7 - Warrior/Fusion/Effect - 2800/2200

"Dark Blade" + 1 "Evil World" Union monster

This card's name becomes "Dark Blade" while it's face-up on the field.

When this card is Fusion Summoned: You can destroy face-up cards your opponent controls up to the number of "Evil World" Union monsters in your Graveyard or banished zone (max. 2). Once per turn, during your turn: You can banish 1 card from your hand; Target 1 appropriate "Evil World" Union monster in your Graveyard and equip it to this card (this is a Quick Effect). As long as this card is equipped with an "Evil World" Union monster, it can't be targeted by your opponent's card effects. If this card leaves the field: You can target 1 "Dark Blade" and 1 "Evil World" Union monster in your Graveyard or banished zone; Special Summon the first target and add the second target to your hand.

Dark Gale, Legendary Dragon of the Evil World

DARK - Level 7 - Dragon/Fusion/Union/Effect - 2400/2100

2 "Evil World" Union monsters

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 "Dark Blade" you control; equip this card to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it. A monster equipped with this card gains 1500 ATK and DEF and can make an additional attack on monsters each Battle Phase, also if the equipped monster would be destroyed by battle or card effect, destroy this card instead. During either player's turn, except the turn this was sent to the graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; Special Summon "Dark Blade" from your Graveyard.

[spoiler=S/T cards]Yamimakai, the Evil World

SPELL - Field Spell

When this card is activated: You can add 1 "Dark Blade" from your Deck or Graveyard to your hand. Once per turn, when an "Evil World" Union monster is equipped to a monster you control: You can target 1 card in your banished zone; Shuffle it into your Deck.

Return of Dark Blade

TRAP - Normal Trap

When an opponent's monster declares a direct attack: Special Summon 1 "Dark Blade" from your hand, Deck or Graveyard, and if you do, equip 1 appropriate "Evil World" Union monster to it from your hand, Deck or Graveyard.

Cards of Unison

SPELL - Normal Spell

Banish 1 "Evil World" Union monster from your hand: Draw 2 cards.

Hope you enjoyed !

[spoiler=Changelog]14/03/2017 :

• Yamimakai

- Replaced "Draw 1 card" by "Target 1 card in your banished zone; Shuffle it into your Deck"

• Cards of Unison

- Changed the cost from discarding to banishing 1 "Evil World" Union monster

• Pitch-Dark Dragon

- Changed the grave effect from adding 1 "Evil World" card from deck to adding 1 "Evil World" Union monster from deck during the end phase

- Changed banish effect condition to "During either player's turn, except the turn this was sent to the graveyard"

- Nerfed Union attack boost to 500

• Kiryu

- Added (from hand) to the equip effect (that one was just a mistake :p)

- Changed banish effect condition to "During either player's turn, except the turn this was sent to the graveyard"

- Nerfed Union attack boost to 1000

• Spirit Ryu

- Changed summon condition to shuffling 2 cards from grave/banished (from 3)

• Squire of the Evil World

- Changed 2nd effect to "During your turn, except the turn this was sent to the graveyard: You can banish this card from your graveyard; Target up to 2 "Evil World" Union monsters in your banished zone and shuffle them into your Deck."

• Dark Gale

- Nerfed Union attack boost to 1500

- Changed effect to allow equipped monster an additional attack on a monster during each battle phase.

• Dark Blade, Dragon Master

- Can only equip from grave, and you must banish 1 card from your hand as cost

- Destroying effect on summon is now max 2 face-up targets

All right, let me start with the Spell/trap support, considering it is obvious where you are coming from:

● Yamimakai, the Evil World: I know this is a decent way to search the key card and all, ... however it granting the player a +1, on top of searching the key card might be going a bit overboard and while Magical Meltdown does exist I would suggest you would rather orient yourself on cards like Oracle of Zefra, having an arguably rather weak continuous effect (on top of its already powerful searching effect).

● Return of Darkblade: Sounds like it does a lot, however considering it is attack reliant it is terribly slow by definition, so this one definitely does deserves its power.

● Cards of Unison: A card of consonance for the theme would be alright ... would the targets not float in a horrific manner (considering Pitch Dark Dragon turns this into an archtype searching +1 ... seriously, calm down), I suggest you either turn this into a trap (which I would not suggest) or reduce its power in some way. Screw it, the days of that mattering are over and using Pitch Dark Dragon is using up the main searcher anyways.

● Dark Blade: I like this one, it is a solid key card, it searches the cards, which require him and can lead into boss monsters.

Now then ...

● Pitch-Dark Dragon, Scourge of the Evil World: ... this effects are just ... too much, I get it that the game turned really fast, however a snoww with a B.A. activation requirement, which also serves as an easily summonable +1k defensive Union monster and can be banished to retrieve Dark Blade ... keep in mind it does special summon a  card, which creates even more pluses, so this monster on its own is a +3 (and keep in mind the main fusion even recycles it to be a +5), I suggest you cut its last effect (at the very least).

● Kiryu, Flame of the Evil World: Where does this equip from ?  I am assuming from the hand, considering otherwise it might be a bit too much to bring out, however a +1.5k boost might be getting a bit overboard, again that floating and recycling are way too much.

● Spirit Ryu, Prisoner of the Evil World: In this case the banishing effect is actually kind of alright, considering you actually have to decide which one you want to use, so I guess this one is deserved (all I would change would be the wording on the fusion effect and maybe reducing the summoning cost down to 2 or even just 1 card, after all still puts enough restrictions on it). (Is there any conection between spirit ryu and dark blade, which I am missing).

● Squire of the Evil World: Its searching effect is alright, however I do not see why it is supposed to add (a) plus(es) on top of searching the key card, I would replace this with a Return of The Dragon Lords protection (though limited to either battle or effect destruction).

Let us now approach the fusions:

● Dark Gale, Legendary Dragon of the Evil World: I like this one's concept, though it being yet another mere plusing tool, on top of a ludicrous 2k boost out of nowhere is boring, considering how easily spirit ryu and dragon's mirror can summon this card, I suggest you rework its effect and reduce the ATK boost.

Now for the moment we have all been waiting for, oh boy, finally the ace of an iconic monster:

● Dark Blade, Dragon Master of the Evil World: I feel like this card should be treated as "Dark Blade the Dragon Knight" (and the dragons should be able to equip themselves to a "Dark Blade" monster, so that the original Dark Blade and more importantly the original Fusion are actually usable (especially since you made the regular fusion monster somewhat easily summonable (you might make Pitch treat itself as the original, if you want to support the theme in an ecstatically magnificent way))) ... that aside ... this card ... turns itself into a 3.8k+ monster, which is untargetable, has protection against battle, has a frightfur tiger destruction effect, recycles and has a super floating effect ... just ... why ... this needs to be watered down on so many levels, considering dark blade can be a "1-card" way to enable this monster ... if you want to keep the recycling part of it I suggest you remove everything else (aside from the targeting proof .. perhaps ... or you could turn the targeting protection into an effect, which tributes its equip to negate and destroy said targeting card).

The major problem is that wihtout such changes this card would even outclass aleister (which is saying a lot).

Just let this sink in:

Yamimakai -> Neo Dark Blade -> Neo Pitch -> Equip, Yami draws 1 card -> Neo Dark Blade Fusion, reequip Neo Pitch, turning Neo Dark Blade Fusion into an untargetable monster with 3.8k, destruction protection, floating on that protection, a pinpoint removal effect and an own massive float as its effect (if you add Foolish Burial -> Neo Spirit Ryu -> Dark Gale you get an even more protected and even floatier boss monster, with 5.8k, up to 3 destruction targets).

That honestly powercreeps far too much,I suggest you fix this (you should also reduce the ATK boosts on ALL of the unions).

Finally done with this, so let us now come to the positive aspects:

● The names are amazing.

● The base concept of this theme is on point.

● The theme is an amazing one to support, so chosing it was well done.

● You oriented these cards on actual cards.

● The wording is mostly flawless.

● You almost made the original Dark Blade Fusion monster usable in an amazing way, as a tech to remove threats from the graveyard (similar to kycoo).

All in all solid work (if you fix the issues).

@The Highlander:

First of all, I'd like to thank for you for writing out such a detailed critique of the archetype :)

I gotta admit I went way overboard with some of the effects here, and I did not realize it before posting (maybe cause I was too excited about making a Dark Blade archetype :p). I made some changes according to your insight :

Changelist :

• Yamimakai

- Replaced "Draw 1 card" by "Target 1 card in your banished zone; Shuffle it into your Deck"

• Cards of Unison

• Pitch-Dark Dragon

- Changed the grave effect from adding 1 "Evil World" card from deck to adding 1 "Evil World" Union monster from deck during the end phase

• Kiryu

- Nerfed Union attack boost to 750

• Spirit Ryu

- Changed summon condition to shuffling 2 cards from grave/banished (from 3)

- Changed 2nd effect to "During your turn, except the turn this was sent to the graveyard: You can banish this card from your graveyard; Target up to 2 "Evil World" Union monsters in your banished zone and shuffle them into your Deck."

• Dark Gale

- Currently thinking of a new effect (can't think of anything rn, sorry...)

These changes will promptly be edited in the OP. Thanks for your review ^^

I might also throw in minor changes (such as having the dragons be treated as the original ones and the fusion treated as the original fusion)

Also, the connection between Spirit Ryu and Dark Blade is that Dark Blade is supposedly Dai Grepher if he follows the evil path on the "Pathes of Destiny" card (I'm not really sure though).

• Yamimakai

• Cards of Unison

These changes are honestly perfect (though I suggest making the field spell's shuffling optional, so it actually does never hurt)

• Pitch-Dark Dragon

If you make it so the search happens in the End Phase you could actually allow the card to search any card of the archtype.

• Kiryu

- Nerfed Union attack boost to 750

Figured as much with the first effect, considering the card would otherwise cycle too much (if "from the grave") and "from the field" would downright kill it.

That change to the banish condition is alright.

The ATK boost should actually not end on 50 (due to convention), so I suggest you change it to 800, or even 1000 to mirror the change between the original pitch and the new pitch black.

This sounds fine.

• Dark Gale

- Currently thinking of a new effect (can't think of anything rn, sorry...)

The boost could even be 1200 or 1300 (or 1300 if equiped to the original dark blade, so it could defeat monsters such as blue-eyes, which would make sense from a logical perspective, as it does resemble his ultimate armor to empower himself with the power of dragons).

Well truth be told I did not suggest anything either.

After giving it some thought I would suggest to allow dark blade an additional attack (after destroying a monster via battle) or something like that (you could also make the neo fusion dark blade's targeting protection part of this card's effect).

I suggest you switch these around, equiping after being summoned and having a neat removal effect (though that would just be my preference and thus does not mean it would be necessary).

I gotta admit I went way overboard with some of the effects here, and I did not realize it before posting (maybe cause I was too excited about making a Dark Blade archetype :p). I made some changes according to your insight :

Well it is better to start with too much and remove parts of it, rather than having to add the actual gameplay afterwards (that way things usually get ugly (if the cards are too unplayable to begin with)).

I might also throw in minor changes (such as having the dragons be treated as the original ones and the fusion treated as the original fusion)

Also, the connection between Spirit Ryu and Dark Blade is that Dark Blade is supposedly Dai Grepher if he follows the evil path on the "Pathes of Destiny" card (I'm not really sure though).

Actually those paths should be Dai Grepher either turning into Lightray/Dark Grepher.

However due to the fact both Dark Blade and Spirit Ryu use dragons to empower themselves by absoring them in one or another way you could call that a parallel or simply invent one.

Thanks for your review ^^

You are welcome, after all these ideas were/are quite interesting and I could not resist reviewing them.

Alright, some more fine-tuning : Kiryu's boost has been reupped to 1000, and Dark Gale's to 1500. Also, Dark Gale now allows the equipped monster to make an additional attack on monsters (maybe this is not strong enough alone, although Dark Gale is easy to make...). That should be it for now ^^

I may add in some new cards later if I get new ideas. Once again thank you @The Highlander :)

Archived